**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

End of Gifting... [master-thread]

Comments

• Options
    DemonzfyreDemonzfyre Posts: 21,026 ★★★★★
    Sw33ty said:

I vote for gifting event stay as is for this year. Cheat and fraud involve is a matter of handling it right, but the solution to scrap the event is no no. Find a better solution at least middle ground that acknowledging playerbase time and effort. I put it this way, it just like stop selling a car while the police tired handling car thieves, scam whatsoever. Dont you see it?

Lol. Wow.
  • Options
    GiuliameijGiuliameij Posts: 1,849 ★★★★
    Fryday said:

Kabam Jax said:

Hey Summoners,
    Following up to answer some FAQs.

Why not tell us sooner?
    We've seen the criticisms stating that this should have been mentioned immediately after the last gifting event concluded. Ultimately, until very recently, we weren't sure what this year's holiday event would look like. With the amount of fraudulent activity, we weren't able to analyze the full impact until months into 2022. I know there were internal conversations about ways to provide an adjusted gifting event, but every avenue the game team explored lead to more problems. As was stated in the original post, we wanted to give everyone the opportunity to make decisions about how they'd spend their time; we did this as soon as we had an idea that the gifting event wouldn't happen this year, even with limited information about what the new event looks like. This communication came three months prior to a normal communication cadence for in-game events.

How are we supposed to get trophy champs, now?
    We haven't seen anything to suggest the replacement crystals would remove opportunity to acquire trophy champs. We will continue to keep an eye on the development of this event and will communicate as we have more information, likely closer to the holiday season.

What consumables can we gift?
    As the details about the new holiday event are still falling into place and there is still a lot to consider, we don't have a definitive list of what will be available. Expect more information closer to the launch of the new event.

Hi @Kabam Jax

Firstly, thank you very much for following up on this conversation, with a tricky and sensitive situation like this, it is good to have you touch base with the players once in awhile.

Secondly, while I can understand the challenges the Kabam having with this event, I'm sure you can see from some of the players point of view, it is quite disheartening. I read this post (from @TrapKill66) a few days a go and feel his pain.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/311654/never-too-early-to-think-about-gifting-this-winter#latest

We appreciate some advance notice on this news, however some have put in time and money into their alt account for the past 8 months. While I'm not in the same position, I was looking forward to gifting some GGC to my nephew over the Christmas period.

As you mentioned that the Event detail is not finalised, I was wondering if you could pass on my thought to the Kabam team, and where it is possible to compromise a little for both Kabam and the players, just for this year. By letting players to gift only limited amount of GGCs (or what the new crystals will be), say 10 GGCs, in that way for anyone that have put in the work in the past 8 months can still do a little trading while at the same time limited any kind damage is might cause.

With that solution you only solve 2/3 reasons for kabam to stop it. Gifting from alts will not change it all. People will just create more alts and stop after act 4 lv40. Which gives between 3000-4000 units. Roughly the 10 crystals you submit.
    While out of the 3 reasons this one is the least concerning. It is still a way for people to buy the ggc. The botters will also just send in packages of 10 from a huge number of fake accounts
  • Options
    WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★
    xNig said:

If half the playerbase leaves because they prevented Fraud from occurring, then that's not the half we want to save.
    Did I say that? #sorry

Why do you spin everything negative then run with that negative assumption? I've grinded thousands of units over the last year on my alt account. I did it for gifting... am I a fraud in some way? Are the 97%+ of people just like me also frauds to you? Or does that 3% fraud that needs to be stomped out supersede all of the rest of us?
    It will always be the 3% that spoils things for the 97%. Happens everywhere in life too. That’s why we can never have good things.

Anyway, fully support Kabam on ending gifting. I know some of my ex-alliance mates who made 20-30 alt accounts to farm units from the revised A1-4 to send GGCs to themselves for gifting. It’s pretty ridiculous if you think about it (and that was months ago, imagine if he continued the pace).
    Baffles me that people thought they'd be allowed to continue to take alt farming to the levels some have. Not sure how anyone could think that stacking 20-100k+ units to feed their main between lord knows how many alts was something that was intended.
  • Options
    GiuliameijGiuliameij Posts: 1,849 ★★★★
    Fryday said:

With that solution you only solve 2/3 reasons for kabam to stop it. Gifting from alts will not change it all. People will just create more alts and stop after act 4 lv40. Which gives between 3000-4000 units. Roughly the 10 crystals you submit.
    While out of the 3 reasons this one is the least concerning. It is still a way for people to buy the ggc. The botters will also just send in packages of 10 from a huge number of fake accounts
    Hi @Giuliameij

I understand that what I suggested won't solved all of the problem, otherwise I'm sure some at Kabam would of thought and done it 😊.

My suggest is only a mid way compromise for both Kabam and players for this one year, since many have put in time and money for the last 8 months.

For extra protection, Kabam can always limited how many GGCs (or whatever the new one will be) a player can recieved, if Kabam were to limite each player can only receive 30 GGCs then I would think will limited any damage to a minimum, 30 GGCs isn't going to break the game, while still nice for some players to enjoy a bit of gifting one last time.

As for trading with people you don't know, well that have already been advised by everyone and Kabam, just like many other things. Players have to take on their own responsibility on this one.

As for off-site and third party, well this is clearly fraudulent, and it won't just happen in the Gifting Event, and which I'm sure Kabam are and will continue to work on stopping it, which they rightly should.

I understand what you mean. But Kabam has clearly acknowledged they simply can`t stop the off-site and third party fraud. All I am trying to say is. If they go with your plan, that is a huge loophole for this fraud. And it would be like Kabam saying. "we know there is a problem, we want to get rid of the problem. But for just this one year we will still let it happen. We will just make it a little trickier."
    I also farm on secondary accounts (never put real money into them) of which the units were supposed to be used on my main during gifting. I just feel we should be glad we can atleast make some use of our units.

I just hope the new crystals are buyable with units. So FTP player can still farm for them. And it won`t just be a money crystal.
  • Options
    CycobillyCycobilly Posts: 28
    DNA3000 said:

Cycobilly said:

And btw how does this stop the real scammers, The unit loaders?

If by that you mean how does this stop people from committing fraud outside of the game and then use fraudulently acquired cash or gift cards to buy units in the game, it does not do that because that's impossible. MCOC cannot stop crime: it isn't Batman, and has no rights to DC characters. Ending gifting only prevents such people from attempting to use MCOC as a money laundering resource, taking dirty money and using in-game gifting to launder that money into clean cash acquired from idiots.

Whether you steal some grandma's SIM card or stick up a 7-11, we can't stop you. But we can stop you from using your stolen resources to cash out by selling those things to MCOC players. That's the limit of what Kabam can police and prevent, and preventing gifting does that.

But my point is it doesn’t do that at all. The biggest fraud I’ve seen is unit loading. Which would be no different with or without gifting.
  • Options
    xNigxNig Posts: 7,249 ★★★★★
    Murkz said:

You know its the piss poor players who don't spend shiz or grind out units all year for this event who think "this is a great idea'.

And not sure how Kasham combating that 3% (which is massively inflated I would say the cheaters are more like 1% of player base) supercedes the other 99% of us?

Poor show Kablam. Poor show

That’s how the world works, no? Like in 2008?

A small minority does something crappy and the large majority suffers because of it.. 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    BeeweeBeewee Posts: 533 ★★★★

Lol at the alt farmers and ggc addicts hitting the forums in outrage. It is a good thing this toxic event has been removed/changed. The worst time of the year. Just remove it totally and it wont be missed.

I think its poor event design regardless, if it encourages the creation of alt accounts to give lots of rewards from the event.
  • Options
    MurkzMurkz Posts: 5
    edited August 2022
    Lol
  • Options
    VrnilamVrnilam Posts: 22
    We will miss all the drama in global chat 😂
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    Vrnilam said:

We will miss all the drama in global chat 😂

God, I didn't even think of that. "Gift me!"
  • Options
    CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    edited August 2022
    Hahahaha i am reading the new posts and i am baffled ...how naive can some people be...
    "Limit the crystals to 10... 50..let it run 1 more time..." Guys Kabam is a business...
    Imagine u invest in the stock market.. your hard earned money.. with the idea of making money in the future... And the stocks u bought they tanked.. they tanked hard... Are u gonna go to the broker and tell him . "Hey let me change the stocks just 1 time..."
  • Options
    Coppin said:

Hahahaha i am reading the new posts and i am baffled ...how naive can some people be...
    "Limit the crystals to 10... 50..let it run 1 more time..." Guys Kabam is a business...
    Imagine u invest in the stock market.. your hard earned money.. with the idea of making money in the future... And the stocks u bought they tanked.. they tanked hard... Are u gonna go to the broker and tell him . "Hey let me change the stocks just 1 time..."

I dunno how many times it has to be said but Kabam is a developer. Netmarble is the business. Netmarble owns the Kabam studio which develops 4 games- MCOC, Transformers, Shop Titians and Mirrorverse. The money spent in-game does not go directly to Kabam at all. Netmarble funds Kabam with all of their revenue from all the studio and games under the Netmarble umbrella.

So when people say Kabam is all about the monet (I'm not saying you said this), they aren't. I'm sure they have some sort of part in the offers in-game and what not but Kabam isn't the one behind the curtain pushing spending.
  • Options
    ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,773 ★★★★★

Coppin said:

I dunno how many times it has to be said but Kabam is a developer. Netmarble is the business. Netmarble owns the Kabam studio which develops 4 games- MCOC, Transformers, Shop Titians and Mirrorverse. The money spent in-game does not go directly to Kabam at all. Netmarble funds Kabam with all of their revenue from all the studio and games under the Netmarble umbrella.

So when people say Kabam is all about the monet (I'm not saying you said this), they aren't. I'm sure they have some sort of part in the offers in-game and what not but Kabam isn't the one behind the curtain pushing spending.
    Its like the people who play these games don't even understand how the systems work in real life. You'd think people would do the necessary research into what they enjoy doing. But no, no one does.
  • Options
    CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★

Coppin said:

You missed the point... Kabam, Netmarble, Disney.. whatever u wanna call it.. they are companies.. they purpose is to be successful and make money...meanwhile u got people begging to get perks for free and even worse... ONE MORE LAST TIME. This people would be right if anybody said.. hey guys farm units we will keep it the same.. and then changed; but this concerned was raised last year and they were naive enough to think nothing was gonna be done.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★

Interesting how there’s a lot who goes like “let us just exploit it one last time”. Lol.

Almost as puzzling as "It's only a small percentage of Fraud.".
  • Options
    Coppin said:

Coppin said:

You missed the point... Kabam, Netmarble, Disney.. whatever u wanna call it.. they are companies.. they purpose is to be successful and make money...meanwhile u got people begging to get perks for free and even worse... ONE MORE LAST TIME. This people would be right if anybody said.. hey guys farm units we will keep it the same.. and then changed; but this concerned was raised last year and they were naive enough to think nothing was gonna be done.
    I got your point and we're on the same page. I was just responding to you calling Kabam a business since much of this thread accuses Kabam of being about the money etc.
  • Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,303 ★★★★★

Coppin said:

Coppin said:

I got your point and we're on the same page. I was just responding to you calling Kabam a business since much of this thread accuses Kabam of being about the money etc.
    You are just arguing semantics here buddy! You know as much as everyone else on this thread what people mean when they say kabam is a business. When people say kabam is a business, they actually mean whoever runs the business side of marvel contest of champions.
  • Options
    Graves_3 said:

Coppin said:

Coppin said:

You are just arguing semantics here buddy! You know as much as everyone else on this thread what people mean when they say kabam is a business. When people say kabam is a business, they actually mean whoever runs the business side of marvel contest of champions.
    No, no they really don't. I've been here a long time. Many of these people believe that every dollar you spend goes directly into the pockets of Kabam employees.
  • Options
    AdevatiAdevati Posts: 437 ★★★

Graves_3 said:

Coppin said:

Coppin said:

No, no they really don't. I've been here a long time. Many of these people believe that every dollar you spend goes directly into the pockets of Kabam employees.
    Enough with the mental gymnastics.

Kabam exists to generate income, now or at some point, for a number of entities/individuals.

None of us, including Kabam, know if this change will impact revenue during Dec/Jan. We can speculate all we want. Even after the revenue numbers come in, Kabam may not even know either. It all depends on how accurate and well thought out their underlying assumptions are.
  • Options
    ZeiramMRZeiramMR Posts: 103
    edited August 2022
    Hi @Kabam Jax. Separate from all the discussion about this holiday Gifting event, there has also been gifting during the Lunar New Year events around January/February each year. The extent of gifting there is typically a calendar goes out to all players with something like 32 giftable Red Envelope Crystals over the course of the event. I would ask Kabam consider keeping that gifting event intact; the normal Red Envelopes are nowhere near game-breaking and there is a limit per account for how many can be gifted.