July 4th Sales and Game Economy

Comments

• vz2fbxvz2fbx Member Posts: 92
    Chobbly said:

Searmenis said:

The gap between f2p and spending is not something new. We all agree, or at least most of us, that the game must reward the player who supports it with money, and make it continue running etc. But.
    The problem this time, is that there s a new unreachable gap between level of spending. Before this set of ridiculous offers, people who spend, a nice amount, about 1/3 or half of the old set of offers, were rewarded, could keep up with whales, and be competitive. That's over now. Even if you spend money it s for nothing if not purchasing everything.

Is this still a game?

I think that's something which hasn't been mentioned much. While the gap between f2p and whale is arguably bigger than it has ever been with these sales (and yes I know there a version of this conversation every year) the stretch also applies to casual spenders who could maybe afford a single Tony Stark's briefcase, compared to someone who can buy all the Odins and have a party on the Summoner's Market too.

I think one of the biggest issues is actually Battleground, and the Battlegrounds Store. If skill is roughly equivalent, then the better roster will win. The Battlegrounds store is the best value in the game, and because of this being largely enabled by a competitive game mode those who can't compete have to make do with leftovers.

For the game to survive, there needs to be a reason for whales to spend the cash. F2P players are basically getting something for free, and licensing established properties certainly isn't cheap. They will be unlikely to compete at the top table, but will at least were able to compete at the lower tables so to speak.

But... this year the Unit Store offers are immense. For those who can buy multiple Odins, they are getting a great, great deal. When you add that to the confusing way that the Tiered Resource bundles work, then I can see why f2p and casuals are a bit grumpy, off the back of other changes this year like the farming nerds.

While the gap between big spenders and f2p/casuals needs to exist, it feels like these offers have stretched that gap a little too much.
    As I said, if the offers are good, you can purchase as well, right? There is no restriction though.

It is pretty strange. Rather than seeing someone complaining that the deals are not good enough. We just see people who has no intention to spend anything complaining that the deals are too good.
    With a lot of explanation about BG by many, saying that the game will be more divided between FTP and whales. The point is that game mode is competitive. That's why people spend their money to grow their roster to be more competitive there. FTP also love to play there because of rewards. So, what is the point to make life the same between people who are willing to spend some money and the people who don't?

And the people who don't want to spend are complaining that the deals are too good, but, bottom line is they still don't even think about purchasing anything. Strange!!

edited July 2023
    The issue here is FTP are complaining about whales have too good deals. Although they could buy, they won't.

The point is they want more free stuffs that the whales get, but they don't want to spend money.

Pure absurdity.
    If you are working in any company, please consider not taking any salary.

If you have any business, don't charge your customers.

Let provide everything to them for free.

It is also ok for them to complain to get more free stuffs.
    At some point, Kabam should consider paying FTP players to continue playing the game.
  • GogiGogi Member Posts: 473 ★★★
    Chobbly said:

vz2fbx said:

The issue here is FTP are complaining about whales have too good deals. Although they could buy, they won't.

The point is they want more free stuffs that the whales get, but they don't want to spend money.

Pure absurdity.

Your point is flawed, and not just on the assumption that players that are FTP are simply choosing not to buy. Some can't, or can't afford to right now.

I have not seen one post saying that F2P should get the same benefits as those who pay. There should be an advantage to those who support the game financially. Otherwise, it won't exist.

The fundamental difference is that comparatively the offers this year are substantially better than any other year - and especially for the Odins. This widens the gap considerably - more than it ever has. And free to play and low spenders alike are troubled by that.

Sometimes we could all do with seeing things from the other person's side.
    There is nothing to be troubled at, people should know by now how it works. Spenders should have bigger advantage thats it. A lot of players a just grumpy and wants to complain at every deal that gets released nothing else.
    I can buy the odins deals IF I want but I decide not to for those money I can get better stuff IRL. If you ask me cash deal should be juicer, investing your hard earned money in to a game should give much more. Same goes for Sigil store, those who buy it should get much much more then what they get today outside of Sigil witch nothing can justify your money for some cheaper crystals and a bit faster arena.
    People need to stop complaining about every deal that gets out every big event, they have a choice, spend or don't. Don't come to forums a complain every time.
  • _Pez__Pez_ Member Posts: 247 ★★★
    edited July 2023

vz2fbx said:

With a lot of explanation about BG by many, saying that the game will be more divided between FTP and whales. The point is that game mode is competitive. That's why people spend their money to grow their roster to be more competitive there. FTP also love to play there because of rewards. So, what is the point to make life the same between people who are willing to spend some money and the people who don't?

And the people who don't want to spend are complaining that the deals are too good, but, bottom line is they still don't even think about purchasing anything. Strange!!

This is real irony, you are saying a game mode is competitive and then you say people spend more to remain competitive.
    Do you mean this is a competition of credit card 😂.

Either a mode is pay to win or competitive. It can't be both.
    Damn you ought to tell most sports competitions in the world this that don't have a salary/spending cap..... Wonder how Leicester won the premier League a few seasons ago.

Of course it can be both, everything in this game is a function of skill, luck and roster strength. More skill can make up for lack of roster strength....and better roster can make up for lack of skill.

I spend a middle amount, I buy when I see a good deal and I feel like it. There is just a lot of whining here by people who are getting a free product, not contributing financially to the game, and yet could still achieve most of what the game has to offer but think it's unfair just because some other people can get more. Everything becomes available to those who wait.
  • Lovejoy72Lovejoy72 Member Posts: 1,858 ★★★★

_Pez_ said:

vz2fbx said:

@_Pez_
    This is real irony, you are saying a game mode is competitive and then you say people spend more to remain competitive.

Damn you ought to tell most sports competitions in the world this that don't have a salary/spending cap..... Wonder how Leicester won the premier League a few seasons ago.

Of course it can be both, everything in this game is a function of skill, luck and roster strength. More skill can make up for lack of roster strength....and better roster can make up for lack of skill.

I spend a middle amount, I buy when I see a good deal and I feel like it. There is just a lot of whining here by people who are getting a free product, not contributing financially to the game, and yet could still achieve most of what the game has to offer but think it's unfair just because some other people can get more. Everything becomes available to those who wait.
    Let's assume there was no F2P players from the beginning, which is like 97~98% of people. Do you really believe this game would have become this big and do you think people(spenders) would have spent money that they are spending?
    So, basically what kabam is doing used F2P to create their big player base by creating a game which was balanced for both spenders and f2p.
    Now, once they have big player base they basically thinks they can ignore the f2p section and go on with it.
    There is either two thing might be happening:
    1. New management is very short sighted.
    2. There might be a possibility they already know game is not gonna be alive for long now so they are basically taking whatever they can.
    Note: based on their current content this year they have released only 8.2, also when I was playing beta for 8.3 there was no thought on the nodes all similar and also cut to half. Also, with numbers of bugs in new season in BG each month along with bugs in almost all new released champs, there might not be enough employees remaining to sustain the game.
    It doesn’t really address their point. And that point is that very very few sports in the world have spending caps. Football doesn’t (aside from American NFL), God only knows how much china spends on the Olympics, combat sports don’t. But what there isn’t is a free to play version of any of those things. If you want to compete in a sport that has any kind of real prize, you’re going to spend some money.
  • _Pez__Pez_ Member Posts: 247 ★★★

Lovejoy72 said:

_Pez_ said:

vz2fbx said:

@_Pez_

Let's assume there was no F2P players from the beginning, which is like 97~98% of people. Do you really believe this game would have become this big and do you think people(spenders) would have spent money that they are spending?
    So, basically what kabam is doing used F2P to create their big player base by creating a game which was balanced for both spenders and f2p.
    Now, once they have big player base they basically thinks they can ignore the f2p section and go on with it.
    2. There might be a possibility they already know game is not gonna be alive for long now so they are basically taking whatever they can.
    Note: based on their current content this year they have released only 8.2, also when I was playing beta for 8.3 there was no thought on the nodes all similar and also cut to half. Also, with numbers of bugs in new season in BG each month along with bugs in almost all new released champs, there might not be enough employees remaining to sustain the game.
    It doesn’t really address their point. And that point is that very very few sports in the world have spending caps. Football doesn’t (aside from American NFL), God only knows how much china spends on the Olympics, combat sports don’t. But what there isn’t is a free to play version of any of those things. If you want to compete in a sport that has any kind of real prize, you’re going to spend some money.
    There are many games (mobile one) who are doing exceedingly better than MCOC in term of both player bases and revenue and that also by keeping almost similar levels for both f2p and spenders, which actually boost up the fun part and competitive part of the game at same time.
    Of course there are games doing better, there are also games doing worse. As much as you might not like people having more than you, I maintain this game is very f2p friendly with the amount of free currency in the game and lack of gating content to spending.

Don't get me wrong, I frequently question kabams practices, particularly in the communication department and some of their offers are downright stupid but being generally upset that spenders get a short term boost from these sales is just petty. The resources come around to everyone for free eventually and you can with enough skill still compete at a decent level.

Lovejoy72 said:

_Pez_ said:

vz2fbx said:

@_Pez_

There are many games (mobile one) who are doing exceedingly better than MCOC in term of both player bases and revenue and that also by keeping almost similar levels for both f2p and spenders, which actually boost up the fun part and competitive part of the game at same time.
    How many of them are 7 years old?
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,498 ★★★★★
    The whole crux of this debate is a misconception. There is no game economy that ensures people will go head-to-head with people who spend large amounts of money. There is nothing to balance there. There never was. This idea that Offers are somehow going to throw the game out of whack is not accurate.
    The Offers themselves, although seemingly large, are also limited. This is to ensure game balance. That doesn't include balancing what people will get for free specifically. That's an absurdity. No one is going to spend large amounts of money for getting the same as people get for free.
    Spending accelerates time. That's always been the case. You have occasional rarity Offers, but the majority of spending just saves time. Sometimes more time than other times. That's about it.
    I have no idea where this misunderstanding developed, but there is no tit-for-tat balancing act between F2P and P2P. There's no competition. It's impossible. What people keep overlooking is that game balance has nothing to do with making sure spenders don't get ahead.
  • DL864DL864 Member Posts: 1,089 ★★★
    Lovejoy72 said:

_Pez_ said:

vz2fbx said:

@_Pez_

Combat sports is not a team sport 🙄. Every major sport in the US has salary caps. The Olympics is another terrible example. Now I spend and spent on the event but it was definitely a bit much. I've played since this game was 7 months old and this is by far the biggest shift I have ever seen after a sale. We won't really know how this will effect the overall balance of the contest for a month or so. The only effects are in bgs right now. I'm gonna wait and see but I really don't feel this was a good direction for the game.
    edited July 2023
    DL864 said:

Lovejoy72 said:

_Pez_ said:

vz2fbx said:

@_Pez_

Combat sports is not a team sport 🙄. Every major sport in the US has salary caps. The Olympics is another terrible example. Now I spend and spent on the event but it was definitely a bit much. I've played since this game was 7 months old and this is by far the biggest shift I have ever seen after a sale. We won't really know how this will effect the overall balance of the contest for a month or so. The only effects are in bgs right now. I'm gonna wait and see but I really don't feel this was a good direction for the game.
    Team sports? Are BGs a team sport? And the US is currently an aberration on that matter.
  • DL864DL864 Member Posts: 1,089 ★★★

The whole crux of this debate is a misconception. There is no game economy that ensures people will go head-to-head with people who spend large amounts of money. There is nothing to balance there. There never was. This idea that Offers are somehow going to throw the game out of whack is not accurate.
    The

Lovejoy72 said:

DL864 said:

Lovejoy72 said:

_Pez_ said:

vz2fbx said:

@_Pez_

Team sports? Are BGs a team sport? And the US is currently an aberration on that matter.
    You have a team of champions and an alliance. The US has some of the most popular sports but ok. I don't know why you are even comparing a moble game to sports anyways. This was about game economy and its changed period. Imo I think it's gonna to be bad but it's more of a wait and see.
    DL864 said:

The

Lovejoy72 said:

DL864 said:

Lovejoy72 said:

_Pez_ said:

vz2fbx said:

@_Pez_

You have a team of champions and an alliance. The US has some of the most popular sports but ok. I don't know why you are even comparing a moble game to sports anyways. This was about game economy and its changed period. Imo I think it's gonna to be bad but it's more of a wait and see.
    It wasn’t my point. It was someone else’s, and in reference to someone’s assertion that there was a competitive issue because of spending. And the point was that a great deal of things considered competitive allow, or even encourage, spending. And since this is a weird discussion about an artificial economy, inside of a mobile game, trying to contextualize it with an analogous phenomenon in the real world is natural, but imperfect.
  • HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Member Posts: 905 ★★★★
    edited July 2023
    vz2fbx said:

Whiny freeloaders will whine. Also if you’re not in GC, you probably should refrain from whining and go get better at the game.

And yeah I bought all the 4-5 gems and haven’t even opened them. Still made it to GC in week one as usual with my single Carina r5 Herc.
  • doctorbdoctorb Member Posts: 1,817 ★★★★
    vz2fbx said:

Searmenis said:

The gap between f2p and spending is not something new. We all agree, or at least most of us, that the game must reward the player who supports it with money, and make it continue running etc. But.
    The problem this time, is that there s a new unreachable gap between level of spending. Before this set of ridiculous offers, people who spend, a nice amount, about 1/3 or half of the old set of offers, were rewarded, could keep up with whales, and be competitive. That's over now. Even if you spend money it s for nothing if not purchasing everything.

Is this still a game?

Playing this game for years. I have never seen FTp showing their appreciation towards people who pay to play. Always same old complaint in very deal that "this time is not the same. It will widen the playing ground".

In fact, Kabam never restricts any player to have access to those deals. If it is so good, why don't FTP starts buying the deal.

Without even considering buying the deal but complaining that the deal is too good for players who pay.

If the deal is not attractive, who is going to buy? Why don't you buy too?

This is such a ridiculous complain.....
    Reminds me of the passage in the Bible whereby Jesus rebukes the pharisees and sadduces by saying their hypocrites cause they don't enter the kingdom of heaven and they don't allow anyone to enter also.

So, too, with FTP players. They don't buy these deals (no matter how great kabam makes them) and they don't want anyone to buy them either. These July 4th deals are, in my opinion, great!!
  • doctorbdoctorb Member Posts: 1,817 ★★★★
    Chobbly said:

vz2fbx said:

Pure absurdity.

Your point is flawed, and not just on the assumption that players that are FTP are simply choosing not to buy. Some can't, or can't afford to right now.

I have not seen one post saying that F2P should get the same benefits as those who pay. There should be an advantage to those who support the game financially. Otherwise, it won't exist.

The fundamental difference is that comparatively the offers this year are substantially better than any other year - and especially for the Odins. This widens the gap considerably - more than it ever has. And free to play and low spenders alike are troubled by that.

Sometimes we could all do with seeing things from the other person's side.
    You may feel this year's offer is too good, someone may feel it's not good enough.
    Bluestone said:

Logged in today , got an amazing rewards of 2% T5CC crystal and 400 cav shards , from monthly paragon calendar .
    Then i went to check the deals ... WT#.
    This game is broken in every way.

I do think it strongly argues that a new progression title is coming soon. And I’m still waiting for the details on the “best free to play event ever” that was announced in a live stream? Maybe that will help settle some misgivings.
  • HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Member Posts: 905 ★★★★
    doctorb said:

vz2fbx said:

Searmenis said:

Is this still a game?

Playing this game for years. I have never seen FTp showing their appreciation towards people who pay to play. Always same old complaint in very deal that "this time is not the same. It will widen the playing ground".

In fact, Kabam never restricts any player to have access to those deals. If it is so good, why don't FTP starts buying the deal.

Without even considering buying the deal but complaining that the deal is too good for players who pay.

If the deal is not attractive, who is going to buy? Why don't you buy too?

This is such a ridiculous complain.....
    Reminds me of the passage in the Bible whereby Jesus rebukes the pharisees and sadduces by saying their hypocrites cause they don't enter the kingdom of heaven and they don't allow anyone to enter also.

So, too, with FTP players. They don't buy these deals (no matter how great kabam makes them) and they don't want anyone to buy them either. These July 4th deals are, in my opinion, great!!
    Excellent way of looking at it. What surprises me is how shamelessly they say this stuff.

Meanwhile they revive farmed to get whatever they have and now that it’s gone, they want to still hold the advantage. Freeloaders gonna freeload.