Serpent Really Isn’t Getting Rebalanced?

Comments

• MethodMan69MethodMan69 Member Posts: 237

QA

Y'all still crying about serpent lol , People don't

Other thread got closed so I couldn't post my reply lol
    There are four things that make Serpent such a menace in BGs and it's not about getting good:
    1. Draft RNG, unlike war you get to pick what you want to use.
    2. You need a strong enough counter otherwise you will lose no matter what you do, the pool of champs is pretty small due to this
    3. BGs metas make the pool of champs even smaller than it already is, a perfect example of this will be crit me next season where Kushala Werewolf Shathra Wiccan etc (some of his best counters) will be completely and utterly useless.
    4. Time matters in BGs, Serpent as it stands not only is a hard defender but an absolute tank, unless you get lucky with Tigra it's always a +55 sec fight.

I really don't understand how anyone could even try to refute any of this, it's not about getting good it's the fact that Serpent turns BGs into a game of "who drafts who, skill doesn't matter". That right there will be the death of BGs if that's the direction they want to take with tough defenders.

How is draft unlucky even an argument to nerf a champ , in my opinion the draft is killing BGs more than anything else , the same way you can't unlucky by not getting a counter for serpent it can happen to any other good defender

Again and I know y'all gonna cry about it, we get 2 new champs every month counters are coming

BG metas if is a meta that turns him into a buff I will definitely ban him , and y'all gonna cry about it again , cause banning a though defender is not an argument cause we never do that right

Time : serpent is not the only tank defender and there's something called strategy that you can use to win fights even when you're not finishing ur fight in 30 seconds , I won several fights against serpent with 90 plus seconds just by doing that , you're opponent can get unlucky in his draft and not get a counter to a simple defender and that can definitely cost him a round and just waste his best defender

BGs is way more that busted defenders and fast fingers , strategy and game knowledge can win more match's than a stacked deck
    It holds up as an argument because winning against serpent depends entirely on your draft. If you get one of his best counters, you have a chance. If you don’t, or get even one of his secondary counters, you’re gonna lose 9/10 times. If serpent were skill based to fight then the draft argument wouldn’t work, but because he’s not, it does.

Metas will always enhance certain champs, but serpent has so many abilities that he will be made an unfair defender far more often than any other champ in the game. We’ve already seen this play out. Any unblockable metas make him the stupidest fight in the game. Other champs with undexable specials can be evaded or missed to get around dexing, but serpent counters both. He counters everything.

Serpent is the tankiest defender in the game, and he is the only tanky defender who also has 20 abilities that make him more annoying outside of being tanky. Rank 3 sassy can be killed faster than him, and almost all of sassy’s defensive mechanics are designed to make him a time stall, not a difficult fight. Imagine if you took sassy and gave him more difficult undexable special animations, high block penetration, resistance to instant bursts, specials that apply a non damaging debuff, and very potent passive power gain. Oh right we already have that, it’s serpent.

As far as strategy, serpent actively removes that. Placing serpent is usually a brain dead win. I didn’t have to think, I didn’t have to care who they drafted, I just placed serpent and won because there was nothing they could do to beat me since I got above 49k points.
    It does to every champion bro if you don't get a penny counter you gonna lose on time ,I have an R5 ascended medusa no one think about bringing counters for her guess what they lose ,
    Bulleye no counter no win , maestro same thing , mister sinister no counter you lost , photon no counters you lost , draft system is a problem by itself is not just serpent that makes it bad
    R5 ascended Medusa? Really? She’s not hard to counter. There’s a ton of staples in people’s decks that can counter her. I hardly doubt people are losing to her.
    Terrible fight on my side but still bro had no counter for a terrible defender and he wasted his best defender, I knew that medusa was a free win just because he got unlucky on his draft , does that makes y'all want medusa to be nerfed ?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA no way this guy tells me I'm a joke for posting two Serpent fights where I finished with over 95% health (one of them with a pretty bad counter) and then tries to prove a point with a Bullseye AA fight where he lost 56% health with one of the best counters in the game, this guy is the definition of a buffoon at this point.

Btw he lost to Medusa cause he sucks, Ham CAN do that fight cause unlike Serpent Medusa doesn't shut down burst damage or crits like Serpent which is what makes 90% of the champs in game virtually useless against him.
    Why u mad bro did I hurt ya ?
    Lmao you're as predictable as a five year old in a candy store at this point.

As for your previous reply that got deleted:
    Highly advice you stop assuming stuff and embarrassing yourself even more than you already have with your lack of knowledge and self-awareness, My Chavez is r2:

As for the other one, that was a r5 Adam vs a r3 Serpent.

Anyways, I'm done arguing now cause I don't want to get this thread closed. Good luck arguing with the other 8 persons on this thread at the same time, you're obviously not wrong:

They are... 😂
    Dude you’re the one who is gonna get this shut down. Chill.
    Hey bro a win is win , if ur mad is because u know ur wrong u just don't want to accept it, plus why are posting disagree numbers is that any type o accomplishment for you some random stats in a dead fórum that only has 8 people on every thread? Get a life loser
    Wow I wasn’t even talking to you and I haven’t been rude to you at all. I’ve been respectful even though I greatly disagree with you and you start name calling. Nice.
    He shouldn’t have name called at all but I don’t think he meant it at you lol
    Sorry my man it wasn't for u just quoted the wrong comment
    Yea I know it wasn’t i just wanted to clarify for viper.

Anyway it’s now been clarified so let’s just all move on and stick to constructive logically based posts and stay away from name calling👍🏻
    Yup wrong guy again

Bro, tell me how you manage to find so many dumb opponents in GC. This is wild.
    Is a mystery for me too , but happens everywhere VT and GC just braindead players all the time

QA

There are four things that make Serpent such a menace in BGs and it's not about getting good:
    1. Draft RNG, unlike war you don't get to pick what you want to use.
    2. You need a strong enough counter otherwise you will lose no matter what you do, the pool of champs is pretty small due to this
    3. BGs metas make the pool of champs even smaller than it already is, a perfect example of this will be crit me next season where Kushala Werewolf Shathra Wiccan etc (some of his best counters) will be completely and utterly useless.
    4. Time matters in BGs, Serpent as it stands not only is a hard defender but an absolute tank, unless you get lucky with Tigra it's always a +55 sec fight.

I really don't understand how anyone could even try to refute any of this, it's not about getting good it's the fact that Serpent turns BGs into a game of "who drafts who, skill doesn't matter". That right there will be the death of BGs if that's the direction they want to take with tough defenders.

How is draft unlucky even an argument to nerf a champ , in my opinion the draft is killing BGs more than anything else , the same way you can't unlucky by not getting a counter for serpent it can happen to any other good defender

Again and I know y'all gonna cry about it, we get 2 new champs every month counters are coming

BG metas if is a meta that turns him into a buff I will definitely ban him , and y'all gonna cry about it again , cause banning a though defender is not an argument cause we never do that right

Time : serpent is not the only tank defender and there's something called strategy that you can use to win fights even when you're not finishing ur fight in 30 seconds , I won several fights against serpent with 90 plus seconds just by doing that , you're opponent can get unlucky in his draft and not get a counter to a simple defender and that can definitely cost him a round and just waste his best defender

BGs is way more that busted defenders and fast fingers , strategy and game knowledge can win more match's than a stacked deck
    It holds up as an argument because winning against serpent depends entirely on your draft. If you get one of his best counters, you have a chance. If you don’t, or get even one of his secondary counters, you’re gonna lose 9/10 times. If serpent were skill based to fight then the draft argument wouldn’t work, but because he’s not, it does.

Metas will always enhance certain champs, but serpent has so many abilities that he will be made an unfair defender far more often than any other champ in the game. We’ve already seen this play out. Any unblockable metas make him the stupidest fight in the game. Other champs with undexable specials can be evaded or missed to get around dexing, but serpent counters both. He counters everything.

Serpent is the tankiest defender in the game, and he is the only tanky defender who also has 20 abilities that make him more annoying outside of being tanky. Rank 3 sassy can be killed faster than him, and almost all of sassy’s defensive mechanics are designed to make him a time stall, not a difficult fight. Imagine if you took sassy and gave him more difficult undexable special animations, high block penetration, resistance to instant bursts, specials that apply a non damaging debuff, and very potent passive power gain. Oh right we already have that, it’s serpent.

As far as strategy, serpent actively removes that. Placing serpent is usually a brain dead win. I didn’t have to think, I didn’t have to care who they drafted, I just placed serpent and won because there was nothing they could do to beat me since I got above 49k points.
    It does to every champion bro if you don't get a penny counter you gonna lose on time ,I have an R5 ascended medusa no one think about bringing counters for her guess what they lose ,
    Bulleye no counter no win , maestro same thing , mister sinister no counter you lost , photon no counters you lost , draft system is a problem by itself is not just serpent that makes it bad
    R5 ascended Medusa? Really? She’s not hard to counter. There’s a ton of staples in people’s decks that can counter her. I hardly doubt people are losing to her.
    Terrible fight on my side but still bro had no counter for a terrible defender and he wasted his best defender, I knew that medusa was a free win just because he got unlucky on his draft , does that makes y'all want medusa to be nerfed ?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA no way this guy tells me I'm a joke for posting two Serpent fights where I finished with over 95% health (one of them with a pretty bad counter) and then tries to prove a point with a Bullseye AA fight where he lost 56% health with one of the best counters in the game, this guy is the definition of a buffoon at this point.

Btw he lost to Medusa cause he sucks, Ham CAN do that fight cause unlike Serpent Medusa doesn't shut down burst damage or crits like Serpent which is what makes 90% of the champs in game virtually useless against him.

Highly advice you stop assuming stuff and embarrassing yourself even more than you already have with your lack of knowledge and self-awareness, My Chavez is r2:

Anyways, I'm done arguing now cause I don't want to get this thread closed. Good luck arguing with the other 8 persons on this thread at the same time, you're obviously not wrong:

They are... 😂
    Hey bro a win is win , if ur mad is because u know ur wrong u just don't want to accept it, plus why are posting disagree numbers is that any type o accomplishment for you some random stats in a dead fórum that only has 8 people on every thread? Get a life loser
    Wow I wasn’t even talking to you and I haven’t been rude to you at all. I’ve been respectful even though I greatly disagree with you and you start name calling. Nice.

Anyway it’s now been clarified so let’s just all move on and stick to constructive logically based posts and stay away from name calling👍🏻
    Or just ignore him lol I tried having a constructive logically based discussion with him on my first two replies and he resorted to the "git gud and stop crying" instead of addressing anything I said. Arguing with him isn't really going to get anyone anywhere, waste of time.
    Bro still mad lol

EdisonLaw said:

Well the first image already proves it. Even though Luke is supposed to be a decent counter, he still timed out.
    Damn I didn’t even see this at first but we found it. You can even view it in his profile too. He’s the owner of a rank 3 duped serpent, hence why he defends him so religiously.

None of his arguments were for the sake of game balance, but to keep his best defender overpowered so he can rely on a free round win. Sigh
    So when you don't have one is ok to call for a nerf but if I have I can't say he's one the best designed champs in the game , I only use him on attack cause most of the time in Bgs he's banned , I love doing incursions with him , any type of questing, AW , and would really hate to lose on anything on his kit because of a nerf ,

Y'all should stop crying about him and start using him more play with him on Attack and see for yourself how fun it is to farm his damage
    Y'all just a small group of self-entitled best players in the game , and since you think the only reason I don't want him to get nerfed is cause I have a duped R3 , this whole thread proves that the only reason y'all want him nerfed is because he pushed y'all put of the comfort zone , but for some reason a bunch of losers think they own kabam , btw this forum is dead because of you guys , no one wants to debate with spoiled kids that can't never accept their wrong

Serpent is an awesome very well designed champ , but a few random no life players that believe they know better than the people who's has it as their job can't accept it
    Can't wait to new champs doing even better than serpent in the future , especially if that means y'all be mad
  • Charlie21540Charlie21540 Member Posts: 934 ★★★★
    It's one thing to make specials hard to dex... it's another thing to make it so that you're not even allowed to try and dex specials. Game has been in a downward spiral for the last several months
  • BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,013 ★★★★★
    PT_99 said:

No balance, keep him banned 24/7 and be glad there's no "ban immune" feature in BG from Kabam like there is in war. 😬
    That's be torture

😆 you know it’s coming next though. You spoke the evil thought out loud.

“We’ve determined that some defenders **cough**Serpent** are banned too often, so in order to challenge players in a test of skills **cough**draftRNG** we are introducing a white list to GC”
  • peixemacacopeixemacaco Member Posts: 2,265 ★★★★

• ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,369 ★★★★★

QA

1. Draft RNG, unlike war you don't get to pick what you want to use.

They are... 😂

Or just ignore him lol I tried having a constructive logically based discussion with him on my first two replies and he resorted to the "git gud and stop crying" instead of addressing anything I said. Arguing with him isn't really going to get anyone anywhere, waste of time.
    Bro still mad lol

• ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Member Posts: 5,369 ★★★★★
    edited September 9
    Eakomo said:

it really is both disappointing and funny that even though the rebalance team has been a thing for at least 2 years the best evidence to support not buffing very mid champs and not balancing serpent is trust me bro.

as serpent totally isn't worse than domino when she was released and no tech champs didn't have aar immunity until mysterio

I have a feeling when they check win rate and all that, that's really all they look at, they don't take into account bans or anything else. Serpent IS by far the most banned champ in the game.
    They also probably don't look at how many people aren't using the champ, Ironheart for example though her win rate may have been decent the people actually using her were probably less than 3/4 of the actual playerbase, if more people had used her the data would've probably been more like lose 7 times out of 10 due to how slow she is.
    They really have been doing a terrible job with rebalance this year they need to get their **** together lol.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,486 ★★★★★
    Whether he thinks so or not, they're not adjusting him. That's been confirmed twice. We might as well accept that fact.
  • EakomoEakomo Member Posts: 75

Eakomo said:

it really is both disappointing and funny that even though the rebalance team has been a thing for at least 2 years the best evidence to support not buffing very mid champs and not balancing serpent is trust me bro.

as serpent totally isn't worse than domino when she was released and no tech champs didn't have aar immunity until mysterio

I have a feeling when they check win rate and all that, that's really all they look at, they don't take into account bans or anything else. Serpent IS by far the most banned champ in the game.
    They also probably don't look at how many people aren't using the champ, Ironheart for example though her win rate may have been decent the people actually using her were probably less than 3/4 of the actual playerbase, if more people had used her the data would've probably been more like lose 7 times out of 10 due to how slow she is.
    They really have been doing a terrible job with rebalance this year they need to get their **** together lol.
    even if they are looking at win rates alone, he should surely be the defender with the highest k.o. % and lowest win percent in war and bg.

with iron heart idk it should show that players started to use her less and she's not winning as much but who knows what they saw
  • Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Member Posts: 2,136 ★★★★★

And this is exactly why I say no amount of skill will get you out of not drafting a counter for him. I have 3 counters in my deck and none of them showed up so this is what I was stuck with. This was an r2 black cat vs an r4a serpent so I’m literally punching down lol. I didn’t play 100% perfect but I made 0 major mistakes. I didn’t get hit at all and I still lost 3/4 of my health to block damage lol.
    Here are the fight stats. I didn’t eat a single sp3 or bait out any sp1s, it was only sp2s and parries and yet I still took 40 blocked hits lmao. Not sure how people call this balanced. Obviously power snack didn’t help, but nobody can act like that’s abnormal for serpent when every other meta juices him to the moon.
  • BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,013 ★★★★★

BigBlueOx said:

At this point I think most have accepted that part. I think the conversation continues because it’d be great if they took the design goals here put them in a box and sunk them to the bottom of the Mariana Trench. Maybe shot them into the sun? Sent them to the Raiders of the Lost Arc warehouse… tbh I don’t care where they go let’s just not unbox them again as his design target is a cancer on the longterm health of the game.

At least in this instance there’s a ban button, so things will survive. Much more of this 💩 and it will overwhelm the body.

Don't keep mentioning about the ban button or they'll introduce whitelisting feature on Bgs. ☠️
    Maybe if they had that now we’d get an honest reaction outside of “we ban his kit too”
  • JLordVileJJLordVileJ Member Posts: 3,058 ★★★★
    Can someone summarise the last 30 pages for me?
  • Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Member Posts: 2,136 ★★★★★

@JLordVileJ this is a long summary but 30 pages is a lot to summarize lol. This is what I responded to Kabam Crashed with to basically serve as a summary for him.

We do appreciate the reply even if it’s not the answer we were hoping for.

I’m not mentioning these because I expect you to create some sort of change, I understand that’s not your call. This mostly serves as a summary for the 26 pages of info posted here. From what I’ve seen, the community’s main annoyances with him are:

1: against serpent you have very little control of what’s actually going on in the fight, you pretty much have to play according to the ai’s wishes. Obviously every fight is controlled by the ai to an extent, but serpent leaves very little room for error. As BG showed in one of his recent streams, you get to play so little against serpent because half of the match is baiting specials. Bad ai only furthers this. It’s far too easy to be caught in a loop of just being able to do a few hits then having to sit back and bait another special. Fighting him is almost more of a movie than an interactive game.

2: serpent leaves almost no room for skill expression. When onslaught came out I was terrible against him, but then I learned his sp1 dex, then sp2 dex, then eventually sp1 punish, and he became manageable for me as a player by improving my skills. After how long serpent has been out the only thing I’ve learned is to hold my relic for death immunity. Then the extend meta came along and temporarily threw that strategy out the window lol. I understand that some defenders are pure rpg asks. But if that’s the case then there needs to be a plethora of counters available. Serpent has maybe 5 counters who can take him in a meta score and due to his 125% DI ability accuracy, some of them don’t even work all the time. He doesn’t even stop there though, even if you draft a counter you are still near guaranteed to take longer than 50-55s. He stalls better than my r3 sassy while having 25 other defensive mechanics.

3: Due to how many different mechanics he has, so many different nodes can make an area of his kit completely unbearable. I think everyone can admit to this one as it’s been demonstrated repeatedly. Any unblockable meta makes serpent beyond unfair. Anything that messes with buff duration does the same. Anything that affects block penetration will do the same. As will enhanced power gain, or health gain, and I’m sure there’s others. Even if you declare serpent’s base kit as balanced, half the time that's not even the kit you’re fighting. He becomes so easily enhanced that he’s made an instant ban in a lot of metas, far more than any other champ.

Even with serpent left unchanged, I think these are things that should be kept in mind when designing or balancing any future defenders. Serpent has removed a lot of strategy and replaced it with rng in a competitive game mode. I think it’s best if the team stays away from that type of design. for the health of the game. Thanks.
  • JLordVileJJLordVileJ Member Posts: 3,058 ★★★★

@JLordVileJ this is a long summary but 30 pages is a lot to summarize lol. This is what I responded to Kabam Crashed with to basically serve as a summary for him.

We do appreciate the reply even if it’s not the answer we were hoping for.

I’m not mentioning these because I expect you to create some sort of change, I understand that’s not your call. This mostly serves as a summary for the 26 pages of info posted here. From what I’ve seen, the community’s main annoyances with him are:

1: against serpent you have very little control of what’s actually going on in the fight, you pretty much have to play according to the ai’s wishes. Obviously every fight is controlled by the ai to an extent, but serpent leaves very little room for error. As BG showed in one of his recent streams, you get to play so little against serpent because half of the match is baiting specials. Bad ai only furthers this. It’s far too easy to be caught in a loop of just being able to do a few hits then having to sit back and bait another special. Fighting him is almost more of a movie than an interactive game.

2: serpent leaves almost no room for skill expression. When onslaught came out I was terrible against him, but then I learned his sp1 dex, then sp2 dex, then eventually sp1 punish, and he became manageable for me as a player by improving my skills. After how long serpent has been out the only thing I’ve learned is to hold my relic for death immunity. Then the extend meta came along and temporarily threw that strategy out the window lol. I understand that some defenders are pure rpg asks. But if that’s the case then there needs to be a plethora of counters available. Serpent has maybe 5 counters who can take him in a meta score and due to his 125% DI ability accuracy, some of them don’t even work all the time. He doesn’t even stop there though, even if you draft a counter you are still near guaranteed to take longer than 50-55s. He stalls better than my r3 sassy while having 25 other defensive mechanics.

3: Due to how many different mechanics he has, so many different nodes can make an area of his kit completely unbearable. I think everyone can admit to this one as it’s been demonstrated repeatedly. Any unblockable meta makes serpent beyond unfair. Anything that messes with buff duration does the same. Anything that affects block penetration will do the same. As will enhanced power gain, or health gain, and I’m sure there’s others. Even if you declare serpent’s base kit as balanced, half the time that's not even the kit you’re fighting. He becomes so easily enhanced that he’s made an instant ban in a lot of metas, far more than any other champ.

Even with serpent left unchanged, I think these are things that should be kept in mind when designing or balancing any future defenders. Serpent has removed a lot of strategy and replaced it with rng in a competitive game mode. I think it’s best if the team stays away from that type of design. for the health of the game. Thanks.
    Thanks for the summary and even as someone who r3d serpent today I agree with all of those points
  • HungaryHippoHungaryHippo Member Posts: 876 ★★★★
    All this is much ado about very little. Don’t like it, stop playing the game modes.

Lots of times I don’t get to draft my counter and lose. It is what it is. The length of this thread has zero impact on what happens in the future. Lack of engagement and having some self control on your wallet might ;)
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Member Posts: 2,338 ★★★★★
    edited September 9

**lots of pics of matches without serpent**

Why are you spamming the thread with off-topic images?
  • HarryatomixHarryatomix Member Posts: 230 ★★

EdisonLaw said:

It’s time kabam atleast noticed this or atleast acknowledges its here. @KabamDORK

@Kabam Crashed @Kabam Pinwheel
    I don't have time to read all 26 pages of this thread but I read a lot of it and since you tagged me I will say what I know. The thread's title answers its own question, Serpent really isn't getting rebalanced.

I had no idea whether or not he would be rebalanced until I read the forum post. I could have asked our balance team but I didn't bother. Why? Because I was agnostic to the results. If they had said he was too strong and needed to be rebalanced, I would have trusted them. They concluded he is having the meta impact that was intended, and I trust them.

So for me now it's about getting better fighting him and strategizing in Battlegrounds based on the meta (either ban him or include enough counters that I can deal with him). Right now I have been banning him but I just duped my Luke yesterday so I might start leaving him open to see if it gives me an advantage.

I don't really think there is anything else for me to say. The balance post is the team's official position.
    Can we atleast have more counters for him already. It's been 6 months he is out let us have some op attackers who can counter bull **** serpent.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,059 ★★★★★

EdisonLaw said:

It’s time kabam atleast noticed this or atleast acknowledges its here. @KabamDORK

I don't have time to read all 26 pages of this thread but I read a lot of it and since you tagged me I will say what I know. The thread's title answers its own question, Serpent really isn't getting rebalanced.

I had no idea whether or not he would be rebalanced until I read the forum post. I could have asked our balance team but I didn't bother. Why? Because I was agnostic to the results. If they had said he was too strong and needed to be rebalanced, I would have trusted them. They concluded he is having the meta impact that was intended, and I trust them.

So for me now it's about getting better fighting him and strategizing in Battlegrounds based on the meta (either ban him or include enough counters that I can deal with him). Right now I have been banning him but I just duped my Luke yesterday so I might start leaving him open to see if it gives me an advantage.

I don't really think there is anything else for me to say. The balance post is the team's official position.
    Can we atleast have more counters for him already. It's been 6 months he is out let us have some op attackers who can counter bull **** serpent.
    Count Nefaria and Shathra are this month and they seem to be decent counters. November I'm guessing we're getting Spiral (who is Mystic) who could be another.
  • HarryatomixHarryatomix Member Posts: 230 ★★
    edited September 9
    EdisonLaw said:

EdisonLaw said:

Count Nefaria and Shathra are this month and they seem to be decent counters. November I'm guessing we're getting Spiral (who is Mystic) who could be another.
    Nefaria is not a counter, he can't use his evade counter against Serpent if I am not wrong that's where his damage comes from.