**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

CGR vs Hyperion: Who is Better?

Comments

• Options
    KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Pulyaman said:

HI_guys said:

HI_guys said:

Kill_Grey said:

SWORD78 said:

Kill_Grey said:

I have both. Hype is just so much more simple, practical and effective for majority of scenarios.

People think CGR is complex and he really isn’t you just have to end combos with Lights Medium and before you throw and SP2 when the enemy stunned charge heavy real quick.

Try not to dex before that but it’s inevitable
    Yup, not complicated at all...
    Being complicated isn't a bad thing? Tigra, Doom, Ghost all have complicated playstyles but people don't brush say it's as much of a negative
    Are they though? Ghost has a skill cap . She isn't complicated. Tigra too just has a skill cap. Not complicated
    Tigra you have to learn spacing for champs in the game. Ghost is pretty complex to learn with her skill cap.

CGR is no more complicated than other champions in the game. I don’t think that can be used to say he’s not a good champion.
    Ghost is not complicated at all. Dash back for phase, purify debuffs and for unblockable specials. With CGR you need to know which actions give which judgement, which cycle you are going for, which is optimal in which type of health pool , whether you can dex or not, yadda yadda. Ghost has none of these problems.

Same goes for tigra. Every gameplay I see if her is pretty much the same. Get to sp2, hold heavies to phase and such.
    Then maybe learn how to play CGR? You can moan about how complex he is, but if you put no effort into learning how to play him, that's on you. Just because someone doesn't want to learn how to play a champion to their max potential doesn't devalue that champion, it devalues the player in control of that champion.
    Why does every time there is an point made that CGR is more complicated, the counter argument is essentially "git good"? You like to learn new champs and use them. Not everyone does.
    Obviously a champion is only as good as the player who plays them. Whether you want to admit it or not, CGR is complicated in that he needs some work to be put in to learn his rotations. That is not necessarily a con if you take him alone. Comparing it with Hyperion, it is a con.
    How is it a con that some champions are more complex than others? I love learning the rotations of new champs and how to play them to their max potential, that's okay. That doesn't devalue a champion. A ton of people don't want to learn how to play Quake, but most of them still rightfully consider her the best champion in the game. If you want to learn CGR, awesome. If you don't want to, that's up to you. It doesn't make him a worse champion that he is more complex than a champ like Hyperion.

Also, he's not even that complex, his playstyle is similar to OG Ghost Rider's, but with flashier animations.
  • Options
    BlackTuranBlackTuran Posts: 642 ★★★
    Hyperion

Unless someone can prove to me that CGR is better than Hype in SQ, EQ, story, and Incursions than I am staying on pro hyperion.

Side quest is easy, CGR does it quicker, 2 combos, sp2 fight over.

EQ is easy, CGR benefits from the current cosmic global way more than Hyp. When buffed up comes back, Hyp will be better

story, i think CGR covers more content and does it faster than Hyp, but anywhere CGR doesn't work hyp will be very good.
    Hype can do all of those equally as well. And theres no way CGR can get to a sp2 in 2 combos. Hype can tho. For story, Hyperion can do so much more bosses, and I forgot he's a boss for most of the variants too. And you didnt answer that incursions question.Hmmmmmmm
    Ok, you probably havent played CGR too much then. MLLLM, MLLLL and a couple parries gets you to Sp2.

Incursions makes Annihulus one of the highest damage champions in the game. Irrelevant content when discussing how good a champion is
    Irrelevant? Its literally the only hard content endgamers have left. And it also is the gateway to the rarest resource in the game at the moment, 6* sigs. If you think thats irrelevant, then this conversation is lost.
    Hyperion neither is good for high-level incursions, especially with his block proficiency and playstyle.
    Youre joking, right? With Buff corn and enhanced stun duration plus extra special ability accuracy they stay stunned the whole time. He is in the top 10 for incursions imo.
    Yep I will agree with you here, Hyp is awesome for incursions. But incursions doesn't make a champ better than another
    Nope, but its a factor.

Kabam hasnt released any hard content since abyss/6.4.

7.1 was pretty darn easy, and v6 is arguably the easiest variant. It sounds like v7 is coming out next month. Guess what? Its gonna be easy.

7.2 beta? Check, somewhat easy.

Until the SOP the only challenging content is z20 pushes. So sounds like a relevant factor to me.
    thats true, just because of incursions, I've decided to take up my thing after moleman even though I thought he was not that good due to his playstyle and his full team synergy.
    Yeah i need to take my Thing up.
    Heh
  • Options
    PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★
    Hyperion

Pulyaman said:

HI_guys said:

HI_guys said:

Kill_Grey said:

SWORD78 said:

Kill_Grey said:

I have both. Hype is just so much more simple, practical and effective for majority of scenarios.

People think CGR is complex and he really isn’t you just have to end combos with Lights Medium and before you throw and SP2 when the enemy stunned charge heavy real quick.

Try not to dex before that but it’s inevitable
    Yup, not complicated at all...
    Being complicated isn't a bad thing? Tigra, Doom, Ghost all have complicated playstyles but people don't brush say it's as much of a negative
    Are they though? Ghost has a skill cap . She isn't complicated. Tigra too just has a skill cap. Not complicated
    Tigra you have to learn spacing for champs in the game. Ghost is pretty complex to learn with her skill cap.

CGR is no more complicated than other champions in the game. I don’t think that can be used to say he’s not a good champion.
    Ghost is not complicated at all. Dash back for phase, purify debuffs and for unblockable specials. With CGR you need to know which actions give which judgement, which cycle you are going for, which is optimal in which type of health pool , whether you can dex or not, yadda yadda. Ghost has none of these problems.

Same goes for tigra. Every gameplay I see if her is pretty much the same. Get to sp2, hold heavies to phase and such.
    Then maybe learn how to play CGR? You can moan about how complex he is, but if you put no effort into learning how to play him, that's on you. Just because someone doesn't want to learn how to play a champion to their max potential doesn't devalue that champion, it devalues the player in control of that champion.
    Why does every time there is an point made that CGR is more complicated, the counter argument is essentially "git good"? You like to learn new champs and use them. Not everyone does.
    Obviously a champion is only as good as the player who plays them. Whether you want to admit it or not, CGR is complicated in that he needs some work to be put in to learn his rotations. That is not necessarily a con if you take him alone. Comparing it with Hyperion, it is a con.
    How is it a con that some champions are more complex than others? I love learning the rotations of new champs and how to play them to their max potential, that's okay. That doesn't devalue a champion. A ton of people don't want to learn how to play Quake, but most of them still rightfully consider her the best champion in the game. If you want to learn CGR, awesome. If you don't want to, that's up to you. It doesn't make him a worse champion that he is more complex than a champ like Hyperion.

Also, he's not even that complex, his playstyle is similar to OG Ghost Rider's, but with flashier animations.
    Actually, no one said CGR is worse than Hyperion. You are taking this personally. Even I have said, it is my personal choice that I pick Hyperion over CGR. For me, unless CGR is required for some specific purpose which cannot be done by Hyperion, I am going to pick Hyperion in my team as a cosmic.

Read what I have written once more. Being a complicated champion alone is not a con. But when comparing with Hyperion, it is a con because Hyperion is as simple as they come. I get it, you like your new toy, but not everyone has to love him. That is the beauty of the game. Just FYI, I don't like GR playstyle, too many things to remember.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    So far I haven’t really seen any points for why Hyp is a better champion overall except he’s simpler to play, and he doesn’t rely as much on specials.

Simplicity is alright, but when you get into deeper content you can usually handle a bit more of a complex champion. And CGR isn’t really that complex anyway once you learn his rotation. Magik is simpler than Doom but it doesn’t make her a better champion overall.

Reliance of specials is one thing, but you can just take him where you don’t need to use specials. And most of the time if you can’t use specials you’ll use someone other than Hyp anyway so I feel that point is kind of moot.
  • Options
    RookiieRookiie Posts: 4,772 ★★★★★
    edited March 2021
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Except Hyperion is not simpler to play
    He's just simpler to understand

Most fights with CGR are over after this mini rotation:

1) MLLLM
    2) Heavy (can be cancelled)
    3) MLLLL
    4) SP2

If it's not over the next combo would normally finish it
  • Options
    PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★
    Hyperion

So far I haven’t really seen any points for why Hyp is a better champion overall except he’s simpler to play, and he doesn’t rely as much on specials.

Simplicity is alright, but when you get into deeper content you can usually handle a bit more of a complex champion. And CGR isn’t really that complex anyway once you learn his rotation. Magik is simpler than Doom but it doesn’t make her a better champion overall.

Reliance of specials is one thing, but you can just take him where you don’t need to use specials. And most of the time if you can’t use specials you’ll use someone other than Hyp anyway so I feel that point is kind of moot.

I don't understand what you want to hear. There is a counter point for every point both sides can come up with. They are both very similar champs with very similar pros and cons. Both rely on specials. Both suffer on the same kind of nodes. Some nodes affect CGR more than Hyperion. Hyperion does not necessarily need his specials, CGR does. Special lock 1 will cripple his playstyle, it will not affect Hyperion that much. What CGR does have on Hyperion is very easy and quick access to huge damage, which allows him to complete fights far quicker. But, huge damage makes fight finish faster, not necessarily make the fight easier.
    Ultimately, it depends on whether you have CGR or not. He is not in everyone's hands, so as time goes on, more people may come over to that side. But, I think if and when Hyperion is released as 6 star, its going to be crazy. He is a champ that just needs awakening to unlock most of his utility.
  • Options
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Pulyaman said:

I don't understand what you want to hear. There is a counter point for every point both sides can come up with. They are both very similar champs with very similar pros and cons. Both rely on specials. Both suffer on the same kind of nodes. Some nodes affect CGR more than Hyperion. Hyperion does not necessarily need his specials, CGR does. Special lock 1 will cripple his playstyle, it will not affect Hyperion that much. What CGR does have on Hyperion is very easy and quick access to huge damage, which allows him to complete fights far quicker. But, huge damage makes fight finish faster, not necessarily make the fight easier.
    Ultimately, it depends on whether you have CGR or not. He is not in everyone's hands, so as time goes on, more people may come over to that side. But, I think if and when Hyperion is released as 6 star, its going to be crazy. He is a champ that just needs awakening to unlock most of his utility.
    I wanted a debate on who’s better CGR or Hyp. I know we aren’t, nor will we ever, come to an agreement. They are too similarly matched. I wanted to see both sides of the argument and I enjoyed debating it. I’ve got what I wanted, I enjoyed seeing people’s views.

I think over time when people get CGR they will realise he’s not as complex as it may appear, and more and more uses will be found.

I think Hyperion has more consistent use. He will be a 9 most of the time. His value fluctuates less. But CGR sometimes will be a 10 and sometimes an 8.

To a newer player, I can see the value in Hyp more. You want someone as your main to carry you and be used a lot everywhere. But to an end game player? I think CGR has more value. You can use him as one of your specific tools where he works better than Hyperion, and those times when he would only be an 8, well you can use someone else you have.

That’s why I think CGR is the better overall champion, because when you get to the point where you can choose anyone. You can choose CGR when he will be a 10, and choose someone else who’s well suited for when he’s not quite so good.
  • Options
    Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    Hyperion
    People be disagreeing with Pulyaman for no reason. My man's spitting facts❗
  • Options
    KDSuperFlash10KDSuperFlash10 Posts: 5,869 ★★★★★
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Hazzalec1 said:

In my opinion, I think hype is the better champion overall.

Personally I think hype has more utility and is more versatile, and despite CGR largely having higher damage, hyperion’s special spam allows him to get through fights quickly, so he’s no slack either. That stun chain is so awesome haha.

I also think that hype has a lot of utility at his disposal. For starters, the power gain means you don’t really have to touch the opponent. Plus, every hit of the sp1 except the first hit is non contact. This means he can be a counter to champs like electro and korg, since the power gain pushes you to sp1s pretty quickly. Not to mention the sp1 places incinerates that tick pretty hard. Diss track counter (CGR also has incinerates on sp1 but also his armour breaks for diss track)

Easy access to furies and poison immune, so caustic temper and buffed up are pretty easy for him.

He has a decently long armour break on his sp2 which is great for champs like killmonger and ghost. (Although CGR has an easier access to armour break against villains from the start of the fight)

I also think hype is more versatile due to his lack of need for debuffs like CGR does. Sure, he benefits from being able to place debuffs, but heavy countering is very easy with hype and his other debuffs (incinerate, stun, armour break) aren’t essential. Because he’s so versatile you could even spam sp3 if you wanted. You can change your playstyle super easily to fit the fight. CGR can also do this, but I feel like hype does it better, without thinking.

On the flip side, CGR almost requires debuffs. Not stun, but armour break for damage and ideally that power lock/damnation for a large portion of his utility. Of course, he can still be great without debuffs, but having a bunch of those armour breaks is what turns his damage from good, to great. Of course, being debuff immune means when 5 judgements trigger, it resets since no power lock/damnation is placed. This can sometimes interrupt to change your playstyle since you’re no longer able to trigger a 6th judgement for that really extended duration (such as sp3-sp2 rotation that has power gain at 5 judgements to push you to sp2). In this way I feel like hype is better. Since, you still have his power gain for sp2 spam or sp3 spam, and you can heavy counter for the furies.

The next thing that I think is important is buffs. They both rely on buffs. CGR has precision, cruelty, fury, armour, vigilance, power gain, aptitude and unblockable buffs. That’s 8 buffs. Hype has fury, power gain and regen. That’s 3 buffs. What I’m getting at here is that hype gets power gain and fury consistently throughout the fight. However CGR can only trigger these buffs once each judgement rotation. This means nodes like buffet and power snack (and even champs like longshot and dr strange) are better if a matchup for Hyperion since he can just retrigger the buff almost immediately after it’s gone, so he doesn’t lose much of his damage or utility. However CGR can only trigger these buffs once per cycle, so you must reset his judgements if you want to apply all your buffs without them being nullified. Of course, there are ways to get around this, but generally, I think hype gets around these sorts of things better due to him having easier access to multiple of his buffs, than a larger amount of unique buffs. However there are situations where unique buffs are preferred.

Another thing is immunities. CGR has bleed and incinerate, hype has poison. So if you’re looking specifically at immunities then CGR wins. CGR works for stuff like thermostat, freezer burn, biohazard and caltrops. Hype doesn’t.

Additionally CGR has much better block proficiency - I believe it’s 71.5% opposed to hype’s 60%. However this is somewhat offset as Hyperion can special intercept spam super easily thanks to that power gain.

One thing that I think is really cool is hype’s awakened ability, as it can interact with nodes like icarus, heal or hide and fight or flight. You get additional duration on those buffs, so more healing, more unstoppable, more time to deal with the icarus buffs. Its something niche and small, and has its drawbacks, but when it’s there, I appreciate it. CGR has a similar buff duration bonus, but it’s not as good as hype’s since hype’s is a flat ~70% (when at optimal sig), but CGR’s is a stacking 20% for each judgement placed. This comes back to hype just having more reliability and consistency in this area.

Another thing is people say that hype is RNG dependent. And while that’s true to some extent, people who have played hype quite a bit will tell you it’s not as big of a problem as some make it out to be. You see, because of that special spam, it means that even if you get bad RNG, it’s very very easy to set it up again and keep the loop of specials and heavy attacks going. Plus after a few heavy attacks and only getting a couple of furies, the damage is still decent, plus you have that loop that he has which is so satisfying and is really effective.

Also, something a bit more niche is his cosmic charge physical resistance. Everyone knows hype has slightly below average physical resistance, in compensation for his increased energy resistance, but it’s only about -200 on a 5/65. Each cosmic charge gives ~600 physical resistance, so it more than makes up for it. His energy resist is only just over 1000 iirc, so it’s not like he’s an iceman counter, but hey, energy resistance is energy resistance.

One other thing is his interaction against rage and safeguard. Now, CGR can also do this since he has easy access to DOT on his sp1. However, hype’s is arguably better. His easy access to furies means he’s set up for the fight, whereas with CGR you ideally wanna throw an sp3 for the fury to get some decent incinerate ticks first. Also, CGR has a guaranteed 3 incinerates, whereas hype has 0-5 incinerates on his sp1. Often you get 2-3, but sometimes you get 0 and sometimes you get 5. However, like I said before, in the instance of bad RNG, the loop is super easy to set up again, thanks to that power gain. Just throw one more heavy and launch another sp1.

One more thing that I’ve noticed while playing CGR is combos. Specifically, CGR needs to throw a full 5 hit combo for his vigilance and power gain buffs. Now yes you can whiff a couple of hits, but there are a lot of nodes (such as mix master, can’t touch this, tunnel vision) that hinder or make it harder to get in full combos. Hype also struggles in these matchups, but in my opinion not as much. This is due to hype’s power gain. You see, hype can just start doing 3 hit combos, then go sp2 and when you get a stun, get a few heavy attacks in. Hype’s playstyle is slightly altered but it’s not to the point of being unusable. And neither is CGR’s. It just means you can’t have that same easy access to power gain and therefore he could take a bit longer to reach an sp2 or whatever rotation you’re going for. Also, his buffs suffer due to not having the extended duration that they otherwise would have from activating vigilance and/or power gain, but that’s not that big of a deal.

Hype also has regen which can be useful in certain circumstances.

Overall, I love both. Both have advantages and disadvantages. This post is quite heavily Hyperion biased, but that’s just because 1. I picked him so I wanna try and explain WHY. And 2. Because I genuinely do think he’s better.

Feel free to disagree, it’s just my opinion. I know a lot of people value CGR higher and I see why. But for me personally, hype takes the cake 🎂

This was well written, I respect your opinion.

Just imagine you didn’t save this and it went to the abyss of approval 💀
  • Options
    MCOCHazzaMCOCHazza Posts: 841 ★★★
    Hyperion

Hazzalec1 said:

Personally I think hype has more utility and is more versatile, and despite CGR largely having higher damage, hyperion’s special spam allows him to get through fights quickly, so he’s no slack either. That stun chain is so awesome haha.

I also think that hype has a lot of utility at his disposal. For starters, the power gain means you don’t really have to touch the opponent. Plus, every hit of the sp1 except the first hit is non contact. This means he can be a counter to champs like electro and korg, since the power gain pushes you to sp1s pretty quickly. Not to mention the sp1 places incinerates that tick pretty hard. Diss track counter (CGR also has incinerates on sp1 but also his armour breaks for diss track)

Easy access to furies and poison immune, so caustic temper and buffed up are pretty easy for him.

He has a decently long armour break on his sp2 which is great for champs like killmonger and ghost. (Although CGR has an easier access to armour break against villains from the start of the fight)

I also think hype is more versatile due to his lack of need for debuffs like CGR does. Sure, he benefits from being able to place debuffs, but heavy countering is very easy with hype and his other debuffs (incinerate, stun, armour break) aren’t essential. Because he’s so versatile you could even spam sp3 if you wanted. You can change your playstyle super easily to fit the fight. CGR can also do this, but I feel like hype does it better, without thinking.

On the flip side, CGR almost requires debuffs. Not stun, but armour break for damage and ideally that power lock/damnation for a large portion of his utility. Of course, he can still be great without debuffs, but having a bunch of those armour breaks is what turns his damage from good, to great. Of course, being debuff immune means when 5 judgements trigger, it resets since no power lock/damnation is placed. This can sometimes interrupt to change your playstyle since you’re no longer able to trigger a 6th judgement for that really extended duration (such as sp3-sp2 rotation that has power gain at 5 judgements to push you to sp2). In this way I feel like hype is better. Since, you still have his power gain for sp2 spam or sp3 spam, and you can heavy counter for the furies.

The next thing that I think is important is buffs. They both rely on buffs. CGR has precision, cruelty, fury, armour, vigilance, power gain, aptitude and unblockable buffs. That’s 8 buffs. Hype has fury, power gain and regen. That’s 3 buffs. What I’m getting at here is that hype gets power gain and fury consistently throughout the fight. However CGR can only trigger these buffs once each judgement rotation. This means nodes like buffet and power snack (and even champs like longshot and dr strange) are better if a matchup for Hyperion since he can just retrigger the buff almost immediately after it’s gone, so he doesn’t lose much of his damage or utility. However CGR can only trigger these buffs once per cycle, so you must reset his judgements if you want to apply all your buffs without them being nullified. Of course, there are ways to get around this, but generally, I think hype gets around these sorts of things better due to him having easier access to multiple of his buffs, than a larger amount of unique buffs. However there are situations where unique buffs are preferred.

Another thing is immunities. CGR has bleed and incinerate, hype has poison. So if you’re looking specifically at immunities then CGR wins. CGR works for stuff like thermostat, freezer burn, biohazard and caltrops. Hype doesn’t.

Additionally CGR has much better block proficiency - I believe it’s 71.5% opposed to hype’s 60%. However this is somewhat offset as Hyperion can special intercept spam super easily thanks to that power gain.

One thing that I think is really cool is hype’s awakened ability, as it can interact with nodes like icarus, heal or hide and fight or flight. You get additional duration on those buffs, so more healing, more unstoppable, more time to deal with the icarus buffs. Its something niche and small, and has its drawbacks, but when it’s there, I appreciate it. CGR has a similar buff duration bonus, but it’s not as good as hype’s since hype’s is a flat ~70% (when at optimal sig), but CGR’s is a stacking 20% for each judgement placed. This comes back to hype just having more reliability and consistency in this area.

Another thing is people say that hype is RNG dependent. And while that’s true to some extent, people who have played hype quite a bit will tell you it’s not as big of a problem as some make it out to be. You see, because of that special spam, it means that even if you get bad RNG, it’s very very easy to set it up again and keep the loop of specials and heavy attacks going. Plus after a few heavy attacks and only getting a couple of furies, the damage is still decent, plus you have that loop that he has which is so satisfying and is really effective.

Also, something a bit more niche is his cosmic charge physical resistance. Everyone knows hype has slightly below average physical resistance, in compensation for his increased energy resistance, but it’s only about -200 on a 5/65. Each cosmic charge gives ~600 physical resistance, so it more than makes up for it. His energy resist is only just over 1000 iirc, so it’s not like he’s an iceman counter, but hey, energy resistance is energy resistance.

One other thing is his interaction against rage and safeguard. Now, CGR can also do this since he has easy access to DOT on his sp1. However, hype’s is arguably better. His easy access to furies means he’s set up for the fight, whereas with CGR you ideally wanna throw an sp3 for the fury to get some decent incinerate ticks first. Also, CGR has a guaranteed 3 incinerates, whereas hype has 0-5 incinerates on his sp1. Often you get 2-3, but sometimes you get 0 and sometimes you get 5. However, like I said before, in the instance of bad RNG, the loop is super easy to set up again, thanks to that power gain. Just throw one more heavy and launch another sp1.

One more thing that I’ve noticed while playing CGR is combos. Specifically, CGR needs to throw a full 5 hit combo for his vigilance and power gain buffs. Now yes you can whiff a couple of hits, but there are a lot of nodes (such as mix master, can’t touch this, tunnel vision) that hinder or make it harder to get in full combos. Hype also struggles in these matchups, but in my opinion not as much. This is due to hype’s power gain. You see, hype can just start doing 3 hit combos, then go sp2 and when you get a stun, get a few heavy attacks in. Hype’s playstyle is slightly altered but it’s not to the point of being unusable. And neither is CGR’s. It just means you can’t have that same easy access to power gain and therefore he could take a bit longer to reach an sp2 or whatever rotation you’re going for. Also, his buffs suffer due to not having the extended duration that they otherwise would have from activating vigilance and/or power gain, but that’s not that big of a deal.

Overall, I love both. Both have advantages and disadvantages. This post is quite heavily Hyperion biased, but that’s just because 1. I picked him so I wanna try and explain WHY. And 2. Because I genuinely do think he’s better.

Feel free to disagree, it’s just my opinion. I know a lot of people value CGR higher and I see why. But for me personally, hype takes the cake 🎂

Just imagine you didn’t save this and it went to the abyss of approval 💀
    Thanks! And yeah hahaha 😬
  • Options
    Kill_GreyKill_Grey Posts: 8,666 ★★★★★
    Hyperion

Hazzalec1 said:

Just imagine you didn’t save this and it went to the abyss of approval💀
    I feel so accomplished that I ever coined that term. 😌
  • Options
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Hazzalec1 said:

Really great breakdown and a lot of good points brought up. I think at the end of the day it comes down to each person- do you want a tool that works incredibly well at a slightly more specific job? Or do you want a tool that works not quite as well (but still pretty amazing) at a few more jobs. For me as an endgame player I can use CGR where he's needed, but at a different situation when CGR doesn't work as well, I can bring someone else better suited.

If I was a progressing player, I think I would rather have hyperion to carry me through act 5 and possibly act 6 early on. But deeper in act 6 and now act 7, I'm glad I have CGR and I think I'd use him more often.

In regards to some of your points:
    Utility: I agree, Hyp has a bit more utility, but not by an absolute boatload. CGR has a lot going for him besides damage, he's not light on utility but he's no warlock. With regards to Korg match ups, I'd argue CGR is probably better than Hyp. CGR has energy mediums unlike Hyp, and if you use an sp1 with hyperion on korg you'll get a chunk of damage from the contact hit, then he can shrug off incinerates for more rock stacks. If i was using Hyp I'd go sp3 to shatter the rocks.

Damage: Agreed, Hyperion has some pretty nasty damage on him, but CGR wins that one.

Reliance on debuffs: great point I hadn't brought up. If there was a situation with tenacity or immunity to debuffs Hyp does largely still work if you can heavy counter them

Buffs: I don't necessarily think bringing up buffet and power snack is super relevant to be honest, how often do you take a cosmic champ against buffet? Hyp against buffet is asking for a long fight, and so is CGR. You wouldnt take either of these against buffet unless all champions on your team were KO.

Immunities: Agreed, poison immunity is nice sure, but two immunities are better than one.

RNG- Hyp really isn't RNG dependent. He has RNG involved sure, but you usually get 2-3 furies and sometimes more or less. He is affected by RNG, but not dependent like domino for example.

Safeguard: Agreed that Hyp is better for it, but for me, CGR is a champion all about big yellow numbers, and saying Hyp is better overall because he's good here is like saying Corvus is bad because he can't do safeguard. Although CGR is good for rage, since you can do SP1 spam rotation, and awakened he can remove any furies that slip through.

Combo: I will admit that nodes that mess with Combos like tunnel vision and mix master can affect CGR quite badly, so I wouldnt use him there. I wonder if you could parry, do LLMLM on tunnel vision and let one attack whiff and carry on to trigger vigilance as your 5th or 6th buff for a massive duration to get around it, or if the AI would recover in time.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading your post and it brought up some very good points. Thanks for adding to the discussion!!

• Options
    ChaosMax1012ChaosMax1012 Posts: 3,086 ★★★★★
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Crcrcrc said:

This is probably the most well documented biased opinion I've seen,so kudos for that. But I do think you brushed off 1 thing off of hyperion, the ability to keep constantly gaining furies means unlike cosmic ghost rider his damage isn't limited and rather his ultimate ceiling is higher than that of cgr. I have both as r5 5*s btw and I've played around with both of them.

Thank you! I've tried to keep as much bias out. No point making a post listing all CGR good points and all Hyp bad.

I'm curious about what you mean by Cosmic Ghost Rider;'s damage being limited.

https://youtu.be/FkUq1WlMTkM

in this video, it shows a pretty straightforward rotation that allows for between 2 and 4 furies at all time. On a 5/65 CGR that's between 5750 and 11500 damage at all times and with 2 aptitudes from the heavy attack it's doubled to 11500-23000 attack increase. Hyperion at 5/65 has each fury at 1326 attack, so he would have to have 8-16 furies at all times. I'd say CGR has higher damage.
    CGR definitely has higher damage. 8 furies isnt hard to maintain on Hype, and his are very easy to access.
    8 isn't too hard, but 16? Cgr has very easy to access fury too.
    Cgr's damage is also 100% reliant on specials, so a power lock or power drain node makes him worthless, whereas Hype can just heavy spam for days
    This is 100% false, use an sp2 with the armor breaks stacked up and do a 5 hit combo afterward. Also it’s not like it’s hard to reach his sp2 anyway.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    This post was finally let through the abyss
  • Options
    CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,940 ★★★★★
    Hyperion

Crcrcrc said:

This is probably the most well documented biased opinion I've seen,so kudos for that. But I do think you brushed off 1 thing off of hyperion, the ability to keep constantly gaining furies means unlike cosmic ghost rider his damage isn't limited and rather his ultimate ceiling is higher than that of cgr. I have both as r5 5*s btw and I've played around with both of them.

Thank you! I've tried to keep as much bias out. No point making a post listing all CGR good points and all Hyp bad.

in this video, it shows a pretty straightforward rotation that allows for between 2 and 4 furies at all time. On a 5/65 CGR that's between 5750 and 11500 damage at all times and with 2 aptitudes from the heavy attack it's doubled to 11500-23000 attack increase. Hyperion at 5/65 has each fury at 1326 attack, so he would have to have 8-16 furies at all times. I'd say CGR has higher damage.
    CGR definitely has higher damage. 8 furies isnt hard to maintain on Hype, and his are very easy to access.
    Cgr's damage is also 100% reliant on specials, so a power lock or power drain node makes him worthless, whereas Hype can just heavy spam for days
    This is 100% false, with the armor breaks stacked up, his combos hit like a truck.
    Can you explain to me how to get a fifth judgement without specials?
  • Options
    Hyperion

Crcrcrc said:

This is 100% false, with the armor breaks stacked up, his combos hit like a truck.
    How do you get a fifth judgement to trigger the armor breaks with no specials?
  • Options
    Hyperion
    Crcrcrc said:

Crcrcrc said:

How do you get a fifth judgement to trigger the armor breaks with no specials?
    Lol the AoA strikes again
  • Options
    HoitadoHoitado Posts: 3,707 ★★★★★
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Crcrcrc said:

That’s actually incorrect. A lot of his damage is reliant on Specials but once those judgements become armor breaks he hits hard. 20k lights and 30k mediums.
  • Options
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    SWORD78 said:

Crcrcrc said:

That’s actually incorrect. A lot of his damage is reliant on Specials but once those judgements become armor breaks he hits hard. 20k lights and 30k mediums.
    I believe what @Crcrcrc means is that without using a single special, CGR doesn’t have damage. If you don’t use a single special, the only way to get 5 judgments is by getting hit.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Another post from the abyss, they won’t stop coming lol
  • Options
    MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,466 ★★★★★
    Hyperion

Crcrcrc said:

Fair point, every champion has weaknesses. But Hyperion's utility is almost solely based on specials, so he wouldn't be great in that situation either
    So is CGRs.
  • Options
    SaltE_Wenis69SaltE_Wenis69 Posts: 1,992 ★★★★
    edited March 2021
    Hyperion
    Bruh
  • Options
    EtjamaEtjama Posts: 7,981 ★★★★★
    Hyperion

Unless someone can prove to me that CGR is better than Hype in SQ, EQ, story, and Incursions than I am staying on pro hyperion.

EQ is easy, CGR benefits from the current cosmic global way more than Hyp. When buffed up comes back, Hyp will be better

story, i think CGR covers more content and does it faster than Hyp, but anywhere CGR doesn't work hyp will be very good.
    Hype can do all of those equally as well. And theres no way CGR can get to a sp2 in 2 combos. Hype can tho. For story, Hyperion can do so much more bosses, and I forgot he's a boss for most of the variants too. And you didnt answer that incursions question.Hmmmmmmm
    Ok, you probably havent played CGR too much then. MLLLM, MLLLL and a couple parries gets you to Sp2.

Incursions makes Annihulus one of the highest damage champions in the game. Irrelevant content when discussing how good a champion is
    Irrelevant? Its literally the only hard content endgamers have left. And it also is the gateway to the rarest resource in the game at the moment, 6* sigs. If you think thats irrelevant, then this conversation is lost.
    Hyperion neither is good for high-level incursions, especially with his block proficiency and playstyle.
    Lolololol
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Another from the abyss
  • Options
    Fluffy_pawsFluffy_paws Posts: 2,677 ★★★★★
    Hyperion
    BOLMETEUS said:

Crcrcrc said:

BOLMETEUS said:

Crcrcrc said:

Any of you guys voting Hyperion I would be very interested to hear any thoughts behind it- any objective reasoning for why he's better than CGR

The ability to quickly spam special attacks with no contact, easy access to DOT, easy access to buffs, tanky, and easy to special/heavy intercept with.
    He's just so much more practical than CGR
    Just say u dont know how to use cgr..
    Crcrcrc said:

Clear an abyss fight with hype.. just taking examples of power drain nodes to discredit an obviously superior cgr.. take hype to a biohazard node then...lol
    And we have a winner for worst argument!
    Lol.. there are around 5-6 different rotations to try with cgr.. it is a champ suited to clear all contents.. small fights long fights, u name it, just tweak in a few combos and fight is over very quickly, Hyperion has his own niche, but he can't hold a candle to cgr as far as versatility is concerned.. all it requires is practice, CGR comes with more immunities and better block proficiency as well.. and Ur arguement to spam heavies?.. well.. that will only finish fights in master mode event quests...😂😂😂😂.. CGR has been my answer in clearing 100% of cavalier everytime, all paths excluding some bosses and champs that prove to heavy counter cgr..
    Spam heavies only clears fight in master mode eq?
    Interesting.
    Pretty sure I spammed heavy with Hype in V4 DP boss.
    How is Hype niche? He's literally one of the least niche characters.

I'm pretty sure I spam heavy with other champs for 90% of the game. Ain't nothing wrong with heavy spam. Many champs have that playstyle
  • Options
    SungjSungj Posts: 2,112 ★★★★★
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Hazzalec1 said:

Hyperion is more versatile than CGR there's no question about that really but honestly what that versatility ends up meaning in most difficult content is that while Hyperion is good for a fight there are so many options that are much better he often ends up benched. CGR has specific utility that can make many fights a breeze and I personally value relevant end game utility over general versatility. While exploring act 6.3 and 6.4 I literally used hyperion maybe once or twice, CGR on the other hand was a regular lane clearer and a life saver in certain fights I thought were going to be much harder like I think its the thermostat Vision Aarkus in 6.4, tricky annihiluses and killmongers, CGR also melted through the void EQ boss a lot of people were having trouble with. I don't think the gap in utility between the characters in terms of quantity is very wide but CGR just has the more relevant utility once you actually start getting into deeper content. I will say however the one area of end game content Hyperion is by far and away better for is variant 1 bosses.

Also people vastly underestimate the damage gap between these two characters. One of the worst takes for hyperion being a better champ I saw here is that hyperion has an "unlimited" damage cap because he has no strict cap on his furies while CGR has a pretty set cycle for his damage somehow implying hyperion has a higher damage ceiling. Even with a set cycle, in the hands of a good player CGR has literally double if not triple the damage output of hyperion in medium length + fights. Not to mention that hyperion is extremely subject to RNG for his damage while CGR is in most circumstances 100% reliable for what he's trying to do
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,547 ★★★★★
    edited March 2021
    Hyperion
    CGR worth a generic AG? Couldn’t stop getting cosmic sig stones from Tier 10 gauntlet and thinking I may as well use it on him.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    The_Sentry06The_Sentry06 Posts: 7,781 ★★★★★
    Cosmic Ghost Rider
    Etjama said:

Lolololol
    I was wrong.