**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Can you no longer reverse power gain?

SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,806 ★★★★★
edited July 2021 in General Discussion

From the patch notes
is this for power gain as a whole or certain nodes?

Comments

• Options
    Lvernon15Lvernon15 Posts: 11,596 ★★★★★
    Yeah I’m confused with this also, if it’s something like void reversing power gain and they’re stopping that, why? Hopefully it’s just some niche thing where you’re not meant to reverse and you could
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    what about petrifies reversing power gain even with power manipulation immunity? maybe that?
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,756 ★★★★★
    I can't imagine it having to do with players using champs like Void to reverse power gain. That has been a staple of the champion for years.

That being said, there may have been other instances where power gain reversal was a bit more unintended. I know that Angela can put an absolute **** ton of armor breaks in certain situations (such as this week's SOP and some Icarus lanes in Act 6). Maybe that, coupled with the Despair mastery, allowed her to easily reverse her opponent's power gain when that is not really something her kit should allow her to do? I dunno.

But if there's just some complete ban of power reversal, things are going to get...interesting. It would be like removing the ability to heal block champions with regen.
  • Options
    MasterpuffMasterpuff Posts: 6,466 ★★★★★
    This is vague even for Kabam.
  • Options
    I searched up power gain before making this thread and didn’t see it, my bad
  • Options
    SirGamesBondSirGamesBond Posts: 4,219 ★★★★★
    Can someone link me to patch notes.
    But why can't I find them?
  • Options
    SummonerNRSummonerNR Posts: 10,649 Guardian

When they say negative power they probably mean lower then 0 bars of power. If it was otherwise they should have said reversed

But it doesn’t say negative power, it says negative power gain. As in the power gain no longer is positive and going up, it’s now negative.
    It also doesn’t say “negative power gain” either.

If you consider power gain as being able to be positive or negative, and that another way of saying negative power gain would be to say “power drain”. Now apply that and see if this makes more sense…

“Power Drain was able to go into the Negatives”. That would make it sound not that the gain/drain rate was going negative, but that the end result (the Power Meter) is what was able to go Negative.

Not sure that is what they meant, but is another way of interpreting their statement.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

When they say negative power they probably mean lower then 0 bars of power. If it was otherwise they should have said reversed

But it doesn’t say negative power, it says negative power gain. As in the power gain no longer is positive and going up, it’s now negative.
    It also doesn’t say “negative power gain” either.

If you consider power gain as being able to be positive or negative, and that another way of saying negative power gain would be to say “power drain”. Now apply that and see if this makes more sense…

“Power Drain was able to go into the Negatives”. That would make it sound not that the gain/drain rate was going negative, but that the end result (the Power Meter) is what was able to go Negative.

Not sure that is what they meant, but is another way of interpreting their statement.
    I was correcting the use of power vs power gain
  • Options
    TheBair123TheBair123 Posts: 5,344 ★★★★★
  • Options

i needs them
    I hear that if you get 50K you get miike’s job
    gotta pass him first
  • Options
    Malreck04Malreck04 Posts: 3,323 ★★★★★
    Thanks to DNA for the clarification, but I thought this would be another PsychoMan situation where they were taking away Chavez's heavy chain/power reversal.
  • Options
    DarkEternityDarkEternity Posts: 784 ★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

I've been told the patch notes should have read Combat Power Gain, not just Power Gain.

Combat Power Gain, for players who aren't familiar with the term, is the power you gain when you hit the opponent or are hit by the opponent. Combat Power Gain is never supposed to go negative, it is supposed to floor at zero. In other words, you should never be able to debuff combat power gain to the point where hitting the target costs you energy instead of gaining it. Apparently Combat Power Gain did not have a floor, so things that debuffed Combat Power Gain could cause it to go negative and have attacks subtract power instead of gain power (or zero out to no power).

Mr. Negative, for example, can reduce Defensive Combat Power Gain by 60%. If there's some other interaction going on, you could end up with Defensive Combat Power Gain rate below zero, which would mean every time Mr. Negative struck a target they would lose power instead of gain power. Needless to say, this opens the door to all sorts of potential exploits.

@DNA3000 Something like this happens with Beast where he can reduce defensive power rate by -105%
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

I've been told the patch notes should have read Combat Power Gain, not just Power Gain.

Combat Power Gain, for players who aren't familiar with the term, is the power you gain when you hit the opponent or are hit by the opponent. Combat Power Gain is never supposed to go negative, it is supposed to floor at zero. In other words, you should never be able to debuff combat power gain to the point where hitting the target costs you energy instead of gaining it. Apparently Combat Power Gain did not have a floor, so things that debuffed Combat Power Gain could cause it to go negative and have attacks subtract power instead of gain power (or zero out to no power).

Mr. Negative, for example, can reduce Defensive Combat Power Gain by 60%. If there's some other interaction going on, you could end up with Defensive Combat Power Gain rate below zero, which would mean every time Mr. Negative struck a target they would lose power instead of gain power. Needless to say, this opens the door to all sorts of potential exploits.

What about the Aw node where if you don’t use a special you get a combat power rate debuff and that can drain your power when you get enough? Is that the sort of situation you mean?
  • Options
    OnmixOnmix Posts: 508 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

ItsDamien said:

DNA3000 said:

See while this is good to hear, this is something that should really be coming from an employee. Not a fellow forum user.
    I agree, but I thought I would mention it once I discovered this so people wouldn't panic over the weekend about Void not working anymore or something.
    Well lol that was obviously the first thought me and my alliance had.
    I hope you’re correct and we get a mod to ask ser this soon