**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Journey to ThroneBreaker Challenge

Comments

• Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

A while back I said that “the only bad thing about 7.4 is that this challenge will be ending sooner”

After seeing ur recent pulls I’m almost glad to see that this challenge is over 😜. Pulls aside, I’m definitely gonna miss the weekly-ish posts. It was a very impressive journey and a great read.

thank god that anti venom isn’t one of my most-wanted champs

Oh and no, @BitterSteel we aren’t friends anymore
    Make friends make friends never never break friends

(Maybe when you pull Dragon Man, Spidey, Apoc and Herc our friendship will return)
    If you make that summary/round up write-up on this challenge, maybe I’ll consider reconciliation 👀👀
    You think that’s a good idea and would be interesting/helpful to see?
  • Options

Thanks for sharing this journey

You’re welcome! Thanks for tuning in:)
  • Options
    odishika123odishika123 Posts: 5,379 ★★★★★

Week 27 - The Final Chapter
    Overview
    Straight away I will shed any pretence of mystery or suspense. I have finished the Journey to Thronebreaker Challenge. (Anyone else just get a chill?). I finished 7.4 last night, and I have taken Colossus to Rank 3, Carina has congratulated me, I have a shiny title and my journey is complete.

But how did this last step happen? Let me take you through 7.4.

I went for the relentless mutation, healing factor, unblockable finale, unlimited power path. With Apoc it's just a light breezy start to the final leg of the challenge. His Sp1 gets him almost all the furies and either an sp2 outright, or another sp1 then sp2 finishes the trick. I used a couple revives on Anti Venom for some reason, he just clipped me a couple times, but a smooth path aside from that. For the boss, Ultron went down easy. Essentially just heavy attack and don't stop. If he gets three of the same buffs from being knocked down, all are removed and he takes a nice burst of damage. Herc took the first 80% and Sorcerer finished it off.

I went for the footloose, Special delivery path. It seemed simple enough and Torch could smoke 3 of the 6 opponents, I could Tigra or Colossus the other two. Diablo, Dorm and Chavez went down easy with Torch, Tigra took Red Goblin, Colossus took Red Hulk and Venompool. Used on revive for a missed parry on VP. I used Tigra and Apoc for the Crossbones boss, got into a little hole of not getting into the rhythm part way through and used up a few revives, but Tigra came through and got him down.

Cosmic Fracture, Tactical Recycling, Ionized armour path was a doddle with Hercules (surprising I know). Cosmic champs armour break on light attacks, don't knock down opponent with too many armour breaks on them. Simple path, Herc crushed it. Used him pretty much every fight, though I used Tigra for Emma frost. I went for the Purgatory boss with Torch pre fight, and of course I died immediately due to a failed parry. Stunned, I wasn't sure what to do. My torch was unduped, Purg is incinerate immune so I could only do damage after an Sp3 and if she throws a special due to the node. Thankfully, I remembered I had a science awakening gem. So to save myself time, lazy as I am, I awakened Torch, dumped my science sigs and revived a couple times for pre fight. Of course, the way these things go, after a few attempts at Purg to get pre fight back she already got down to 20%...

I went the power shield, recharge, spite path where you get buffs when parrying. I went full mystic special boosts and used tigra. Usefully, she can stop the buff applying to you with neutralise, so she avoids that. I just did a few heavies and then a special 2, that killed most. I used Mr F pre fight petrify for that Knull, just to make sure. Everything went perfect, no revives or potions used. The Mojo boss went fantastically! I used Torch pre fight and just parry heavied my way through, knocking mojo down sends his degens back to him, so that's amazing. I got him 80% down and finished with Herc.

Wombo Combo, right back at it, special 2 bias was the path of choice. I just went with Herc, Colossus and Torch, who don't need to knock the opponents down or don't rely on debuffs. Path was smooth, only lost Torch at the end against his mirror match up. The boss cost a couple revives, Killmonger with extinction protocol, increased power gain due to redoubled determination, but you can parry to armour break. I use Herc and Colossus to get him down.

The big one. At this point, I still had a ton of revives in overflow, and was feeling great about it. I went for the nodeless path, in this case all the nodes provide a small benefit to you as opposed to Kang or Gwenperion or Grandmaster, but the nodeless path was the easiest to go for. Smorsgabord, foresight, bubbleshield. Tigra and Torch carried the path, and I had Herc, Colossus + Omega ready for the boss. Warlock took a few revives to get through but I expected that, Torch managed.

Onto the final boss...

I must say, it took me a little while (10-15 revives or so) to actually figure out what was going on. I thought, like a lot of others that a counter attack was medium/light/heavy, but actually this is my breakdown of the fight..

It’s another one of the boss fights where you want to know how to fight it rather than bring a counter. Having said that, I have heard a few champs work really well. Namely Torch and Ihulk. You can build smoulder with torch really easily, and Ihulk can go Ham during wounded

What you need to do is not counterattack the same way twice. If you stun and hit him, intercept, hit while recovering from a heavy, or while recovering from a special those are the 4 counter attacks. Don’t do the same one in a row, or you’ll be stunned yourself. When you do one of those 4, he will evade you (think Elsa/ mr negative) and counter strike. You can dex that pretty easily, the timing is much earlier than you would think though.

Each time you evade, you get a charge. At ten he is wounded for a fair while and you can go crazy!

Once I figured that out, the fight became immensely easier. I basically used Herc or Colossus to smash away. After my initial confusion, I used maybe 3-4 revives per phase from then on, but I was going in at 20% health everytime due to lack of health potions. Overall I was very happy with how many items I used, I still comfortably have 20 or so left at the end.

I was so taken aback when I won in the final phase (it goes super slow motion) that I forgot to take a screenshot of Kang being KOd! But no matter, I have this one..

and this one...

and most importantly, this one...

Well, that is that. 27 weeks ago I set out to get Thronebreaker and here it is. From nothing to TB in 189 days of fun, grinding, content, crystals and Colossus. The challenge is complete, Mini-Steel has completed his task.

As for the rewards, I pulled a science awakening gem for a 6*, and onto the crystals..

Honestly, Anti Venom is my top wanted champ on my main and this feels like a little wink to me from Mini-Steel. @JoshKosh557 I know how you feel now.. Lets hope that AV wasn't one of your top wanted champs too! Joe is a great pull as well.

Onto the nexus..

The luck on this account is something I will never forget, obviously tons of bad pulls sprinkled around as well, but some of the quality of these pulls are mind blowing. Thing or Sorcerer, I went Thing in the end because of Sorcerer as a 5/65.

The final pull I want to share is one for you @JoshKosh557 , I've been pulling a lot of Josh's favourite champs on this account before him - Apoc, Dragon Man, Hercules and though it wasn't a 6*, Tigra as well.. But, Josh, maybe you shouldn't have challenged the RNG gods..

Now it may not be an Archangel, but a lucky grandmaster crystal gave me this spidery boi

I hope we can remain friends after this...

The 6* science gem from 7.4 is unused at the moment, but I may use it on anti venom for the fun of it. I do have plans for playing this account a little bit, I want to get enough ISO to level up Colossus fully. That beautiful metal man has earned it for dominating in this challenge. After that, who knows? I will probably leave the account be, put it in a glass case as a museum exhibit - the Thronebreaker Challenge Account.

As for what to do next, at the start of the challenge I was thinking about writing some sort of post once I was done, as a round up of my experience, and as a general advice for anyone pushing Thronebreaker. I kinda feel now that the advice for Thronebreaker is "Do 7.4", but I also think maybe not everyone would be comfortable with doing that quest content, and maybe they could do with some advice on targeting content? I'm not sure, it's something I'll think about but please weigh in if you'd be interested in my perspective, and a round up of the whole challenge.

The last thing I want to say is thank you. Thank you to everyone who showed an interest, showed support, messaged me outside of the game/forums asking how it's going, dropped their thoughts on progress, who I should use/rank etc., even just reading my posts! Any way anyone interacted with this post or challenge helped show me that people thought it was interesting enough for me to share. I wouldn't have carried on if there wasn't an interest, so thank you to all of these people for interacting and showing support!
    @odishika123 @Berjibs @Nix2222 @Diablord @Malreck04 @Corkscrew @Qacob @Moosetiptronic @Sazed @AverageDesi @Spurgeon14 @Ace2319 @JoshKosh557 @SpideyFunko @Nalak8 @Will3808 @Mauled @13579rebel_ @Degen @RavenKeeper @IcyCoolDudeDoodle @DrZola @Inferno99 @Sergeant_ @Scarcity27 @Gogeta91199 @I_tell_no_tales_1 @jbxotiic @Jon111 @Dash855 @psp742 and @Gaaramyalliancematewithoutaforumaccount

Thanks to the Moderators on the forum for allowing a longstanding thread to keep going! Thanks to everyone for staying so unbelievably respectful. This is the single most positive experience I've had on the forum ever, everyone showed support and respect, lots of awesome conversations going on in this thread from advice to jokes and from support to tongue-in-cheek jealousy (not mentioning any names, Josh).

And thanks to anybody else who I may have missed, anyone who may have dropped a comment or two I missed, or anyone who mainly reads and not responds, thank you as well!

To round out this update, here is the account after Week 23 - The Final Week

Mini-Steel, your journey is over… </blockquotebro

A spectacular end to a wonderful journey
    Congratulations bro🍑
  • Options
    AverageDesiAverageDesi Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    edited March 2022
    Nevermind
  • Options
    QacobQacob Posts: 2,253 ★★★★★
    Congrats mate! Seriously impressive.

Ill have to do one of these journeys myself once I run out of stuff to do on my main.
  • Options
    AouxWouxAouxWoux Posts: 426 ★★★
    Ok and
  • Options
    190 days utterly wasted smh
  • Options
    AouxWoux said:

I’m sorry you feel that way and feel you need to share your negativity. I enjoyed this challenge and to be quite honest that’s all that matters to me. I play this game for fun and as a positive thing in my life. I hope you can view it that way too one day.

I’d appreciate it if you didn’t reply on my post anymore, but I can tell you like the attention so I won’t be responding to you anymore.
  • Options
    Qacob said:

Congrats mate! Seriously impressive.

Ill have to do one of these journeys myself once I run out of stuff to do on my main.

Go for it! It’s really interesting to see how progress has changed since we first started the game. And to get a handle on different champs you may not have ranked or used on your main
  • Options
    Scarcity27Scarcity27 Posts: 1,906 ★★★★★

A while back I said that “the only bad thing about 7.4 is that this challenge will be ending sooner”

After seeing ur recent pulls I’m almost glad to see that this challenge is over 😜. Pulls aside, I’m definitely gonna miss the weekly-ish posts. It was a very impressive journey and a great read.

(Maybe when you pull Dragon Man, Spidey, Apoc and Herc our friendship will return)
    If you make that summary/round up write-up on this challenge, maybe I’ll consider reconciliation 👀👀
    It's a 'hell, yes' from me. I've found your 7.3 guide extremely useful, and even little pointers you drop into random threads.
  • Options
    Ace2319Ace2319 Posts: 619 ★★★
    Great job! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I’ve been trying to push more in story to get thronebreaker because of it (Still in 6.3). I am a little sad it’s over so you’ll have to do it again when they make the next progression title
  • Options
    SazedSazed Posts: 304 ★★

Absolutly. Even though I'm on 6.2.5, I think many summoners would appreciate the advice. No matter where they are in progression
  • Options
    @JoshKosh557 @Scarcity27 @Sazed thanks for the feedback and support, I’ll put it on the list of posts I want to do! Need to knock out 7.4 exploration and do my guide first!
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,549 ★★★★★
    This is good stuff, @BitterSteel
    Thank you for sharing your excellent write up.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    TheBair123TheBair123 Posts: 5,344 ★★★★★
    it feels like the last episode of my favorite TV show. when can we expect a reboot?
  • Options
    Gogeta91199Gogeta91199 Posts: 990 ★★★★
    Osm dude! Congrats!
  • Options
    jbxotiicjbxotiic Posts: 145
    Ah I love to see it! Been here since day 1 and i have thoroughly enjoyed this. One of my favorite posts on the forum and I always looked forward to Thursdays to reading this.
  • Options
    13579rebel_13579rebel_ Posts: 2,408 ★★★★★
    Congrats my dude :) very jealous of that spidey he and nimrod are my top champs
  • Options

it feels like the last episode of my favorite TV show. when can we expect a reboot?

There may be some time in the future I decide to do another challenge, but there is nothing planned at all, and it wouldn’t be for a while. This did take some commitment doing a post a week and I wouldn’t want to start until I was sure I was ready to do another 6 months or so of content!

Plus, gotta build some suspense right? ;)
  • Options
    @13579rebel_ @DrZola @jbxotiic @Gogeta91199 thank you all! The support is very much appreciated :)
  • Options
    Ace2319Ace2319 Posts: 619 ★★★
    @BitterSteel just curious if there was a quest that you had a hard time with on your main that you breezed right through on this account or if there was a quest that was significantly harder than you remember
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

AouxWoux said:

“I would rather be ashes than dust. I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.”

- Jack London
    Wow this is a great quote thanks 🙏🙏
  • Options
    Will3808Will3808 Posts: 3,536 ★★★★★
    I’d first like to say congratulations! It’s been a blast to follow your journey and I think I speak for everyone when I say we’ll miss the updates.

As I was reading through all the comments from the last two weeks I was blown away by both the following this post had collected but also how overall the community has been so supportive of you and cared so much.

I really appreciate the inspiration and encouragement you’ve given me personally but also everyone else through this thread and the mr negative chat, so thank you for that and starting this challenge in the first place.

I am actually working on my 7.4 exploration guide over the next couple of weeks, similar to what I did for 7.3

Also, I will be waiting expectantly for this…
  • Options
    Will3808 said:

I’d first like to say congratulations! It’s been a blast to follow your journey and I think I speak for everyone when I say we’ll miss the updates.

As I was reading through all the comments from the last two weeks I was blown away by both the following this post had collected but also how overall the community has been so supportive of you and cared so much.

I really appreciate the inspiration and encouragement you’ve given me personally but also everyone else through this thread and the mr negative chat, so thank you for that and starting this challenge in the first place.

I am actually working on my 7.4 exploration guide over the next couple of weeks, similar to what I did for 7.3

Also, I will be waiting expectantly for this…
    Thank you for following!! I’ll definitely miss the updates each week, it was something to look forward to doing for sure. And I really appreciate what you said about inspiration and encouragement, I try my best!

7.4 guide is on it’s way don’t worry, I’ve made notes on each path, I just need to finalise it into an actual guide format!
  • Options
    Nalak8Nalak8 Posts: 387 ★★★
    My favorite post on this forum! Thanks for taking us on this journey!

I tried to get my mini pass the champion in 6.2.6 but failed after a ton of revives and 1k units. Kudos to your MCOC skills and making this thread an interesting read.
  • Options
    MoosetiptronicMoosetiptronic Posts: 2,109 ★★★★
    Amazing end to the journey; I did not expect 7.4 completion, the first few days after it dropped to cap it off.

Ridiculously impressive skills! To do so and at the end of it have only four 5/65s and one 2/35 (now 3/45) displays phenomenal level of game knowledge, patience and ability, to effectively "beat" the main story in such a short time scale.

Looking forward to your guide as well!

(Also, your decorum when dealing with unwarranted opprobrium will serve you well in life.)
  • Options
    Nalak8 said:

My favorite post on this forum! Thanks for taking us on this journey!

I tried to get my mini pass the champion in 6.2.6 but failed after a ton of revives and 1k units. Kudos to your MCOC skills and making this thread an interesting read.

Thank you Nalak! Definitely my favourite thread on the forums thanks to all of you

If you’d ever like tips or advice on that champion don’t hesitate to ask, he can definitely be a road block!
  • Options

Amazing end to the journey; I did not expect 7.4 completion, the first few days after it dropped to cap it off.

Ridiculously impressive skills! To do so and at the end of it have only four 5/65s and one 2/35 (now 3/45) displays phenomenal level of game knowledge, patience and ability, to effectively "beat" the main story in such a short time scale.

Looking forward to your guide as well!

(Also, your decorum when dealing with unwarranted opprobrium will serve you well in life.)

Haha I just had my mind set on 7.4, and once Colossus got going there was no stopping him.

Thank you for the kind words and complements, they’re really not necessary! I just enjoyed sharing my progress and thoughts throughout!