**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Removal of Revive Farming and the Apothecary Discussion

Comments

• Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,254 ★★★★★
    edited March 2023
    Axew said:

The time to enter the Quest and click Auto-Play is not that valuable a commodity.

Who are you to tell me or anyone else how valuable time is? Your arrogance is atrocious.
    If someone is talking about time and effort as a valuable commodity, I would tend to think of actual effort in the game. Playing the game myself. Looking at the screen as it fights for me is not representative of "time invested" in my opinion. That's just letting the game play itself while I press the button to start and select Paths.

Doesn’t matter what you think, playtime is still playtime, whether you use auto fight or not. You are choosing to use your device to play MCOC over the millions of other uses a personal computer has, that’s a valuable commodity.
    If you're playing on a personal computer that's a whole other issue.
    *I know you meant device. I just don't agree with the same stance.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,690 Guardian
    Dshu said:

Realistically if a player is farming those revives in that quality the same player is also sacrificing all their time and energy on farming.

Not really, because revives expire in the overflow in 14 days. This means farming for more than 14 consecutive days is counter-productive. You can spend half the month doing EQ and BG, and the other half grinding revives, and still hit the limit of ~ 100 revives.

If two weeks is not enough you can do even better than that, because you can cross month boundaries. Hypothetically you could spend three weeks in May doing EQ and BG, then spend the last week grinding revives and then cross over into the first week of June (EQ is not aligned perfectly with calendar months, but you get the idea) and end up with (over) three weeks dedicated to EQ and BG in one month, the same three weeks dedicated to those activities in the following month, and still have a consecutive two week period in the middle where you max out revives and use them on some piece of content. You could only do this every other month, but there aren't really many pieces of content that would likely require that many revives for most players. Anything you could do in say fifty revives you could do every month.

Someone doing this would be sacrificing about 23% of their quest energy grinding for revives.
  • Options
    DshuDshu Posts: 1,503 ★★★★
    edited March 2023
    @DNA3000 if Everest content is the issue wouldn't the simplest solution be to put a revive cap on the content? That would limit the average player from pushing through this content quickly for those rewards until they either improved beyond the skill level required or leveled above the challenge's difficulty requirement. Waiting to outlevel the difficulty would also mean the rewards would be devalued to the same degree as rol is for current players doing it with 5 or 6* champs.
    If this is about profits kabam could offer larger health pots and revives as well as super boosts or hacks to offer an incentive to spend.
  • Options
    Everest content isn't the only issue though. It's clear that farming that many Revives from the lower-end content is not an intended aspect.
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,690 Guardian
    Dshu said:

DNA3000 said:

Dshu said:

Realistically if a player is farming those revives in that quality the same player is also sacrificing all their time and energy on farming.

Not really, because revives expire in the overflow in 14 days. This means farming for more than 14 consecutive days is counter-productive. You can spend half the month doing EQ and BG, and the other half grinding revives, and still hit the limit of ~ 100 revives.

If two weeks is not enough you can do even better than that, because you can cross month boundaries. Hypothetically you could spend three weeks in May doing EQ and BG, then spend the last week grinding revives and then cross over into the first week of June (EQ is not aligned perfectly with calendar months, but you get the idea) and end up with (over) three weeks dedicated to EQ and BG in one month, the same three weeks dedicated to those activities in the following month, and still have a consecutive two week period in the middle where you max out revives and use them on some piece of content. You could only do this every other month, but there aren't really many pieces of content that would likely require that many revives for most players. Anything you could do in say fifty revives you could do every month.

Someone doing this would be sacrificing about 23% of their quest energy grinding for revives.
    I haven't done the math but is that actually possible for the majority of players with families and jobs to do? For the average player it would seem like a stretch to do that. Of course I may be more casual than most but eq alone seems to take me a week minimum to complete with a job and family.
    Everyone is different, but let's suppose we are talking about someone who has limited amount of time to play the game, but they do have enough time that things like AQ and EQ are not pushing the limits of their time. If we are talking about someone for whom exploring a difficulty tier of EQ is a stretch, all bets are off.

Someone time constrained is someone I can imagine focusing on doing the highest tier of monthly EQ they can reasonably handle first. However they distribute their time, this is something that will take up a certain amount of their monthly energy. Last I checked it was about 1435 energy (for the top three tiers). Let's just call that 21 full energy bars to round off, and let's say that's one full energy bar per day for 21 days, spread out over the month. For our purposes, it doesn't matter if they grind it all out on weekends or only do it an hour a day five days a week. We're going to assume that they just don't have time to do much more, at least not with their full attention, so the rest of their energy goes largely unused.

That would be a waste, so they should at least try to do something with it. Especially if they are a casual player, they won't be swimming in materials. At the very least they should dump their energy into the ISO quests. They don't even need to autofight through them, they could explore them once and then use the auto-complete feature. This takes only seconds, and you at least get ISO.

Now suppose this casual player wants to do something like Grandmaster's Gauntlet, or EoP, or Abyss, and they can in fact set aside the time to do it. They want to build up a revive stash for it, so what can they do until they decide to tackle it. At the very least, they could autofight 3.2.6 twice in one day: once in the morning and once before they go to sleep. This would burn 140 energy per day (you might still be able to play the game normally in the middle of the day, but we're setting that aside for now) On average, you'd be earning a little more than 4 revives per day. If you stayed in 3.2.6 for the two weeks, you'd eventually burn 1960 energy, generating about 59 revives. With the fifteen inventory slots, that's 74 revives this player could have saved up for whatever content they were trying to tackle.

This is pretty low effort for someone who isn't really being asked to do much in a particularly dedicated way. Just a few minutes in the morning and a few in the evening, and they don't need to even focus on the game. With autofight behind the wheel, you can do this while drinking your morning coffee or while brushing your teeth before bed. And in this extreme situation, we can still get to 74.

I think the bottleneck here is not that most people can't do this, it is that most players don't realize they can in fact do this. Or they don't realize how what appears to be a small amount of stuff for a large amount of energy piles up very fast. It doesn't seem like it should work, but when you burn 70 energy in the morning and 70 in the evening, you're actually burning 140 of the 230 energy most players will get altogether during the day even if they played constantly. In other words, a player that farms like this with minimal effort is already getting more than half the theoretical maximum.
  • Options
    Lordix said:

Everest content isn't the only issue though. It's clear that farming that many Revives from the lower-end content is not an intended aspect.

Intensions, intensions! How long have we heard about intending (pretending) to repair this broken game? And how long did it take to notice that it was not intended. Milking the cow now I guess. :/
    Quite honestly, this is some abstract justification that has nothing to do with the issue.
    Are there issues with the game? Absolutely. Are they doing what they can to fix them? Clearly. No one enjoys the game being bugged. Especially them. It's their livelihood to produce and maintain it.
    Just because things aren't optimal for everyone doesn't mean they're not working on them, and it sure as hell doesn't mean they're leaving it bugged to milk people. NO ONE wants the game to be suboptimal. It's not always as easy as "Fix it now!". There are a myriad of devices and moving parts at play. Android alone has about 25,000 different devices and varying OSs, although not all are supported. That's still a significant number. They can't own every device and test every single situation. They do their best.
    They're clearly still working on it because they've identified issues with the opt-in Beta. Things still have to keep moving whether they're working perfectly or not.
    You're also faced with the fact that not all Players are experiencing issues, and not all at the same time. That adds variables. Plus, the average person doesn't even add information on here. They just say it's broken, and they need to fix it. As tired as people are of posting the info template, there's a reason for it. Everything right down to when it was reported adds information for them to identify these issues.
    Beyond that, an exploitable (little e) Resource is never justified by ongoing issues, and it's never justified to keep it going as some sort of "apology".
  • Options
    DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,551 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

@DNA3000 I think I can name the *problem*…but I’d like to know what you think the real problem is first.

Dr. Zola

I don't want to sound deliberately obtuse, but I'm still formulating the idea. It is possible it may be an even more controversial idea than revive farming itself, and I'm still trying to see where it ultimately goes.

But I think I can point to the place where I took an off ramp and headed off into the back roads. When I did my analysis of Act 6, I made the argument that whether Act 6 itself was reasonable or not, its exponential difficulty curve meant that the design idea expressed within it was unsustainable. No player could reasonably keep up with such a fast upward difficulty trajectory. And long before it affected the top tier players, it would snag the more average players of the game. But Act 6 is gatekeeper content: it gates progress to the next stages of the game. It can't indefinitely roadblock average players because if you roadblock 85% of your players from future progress in a progressional game, you're in effect putting a permanent ceiling on a large percentage of your target audience. That's a recipe for a game death spiral.

The logical thing to do is to make sure that content like Act 6 is hard enough that it can be a challenge for high skill players who run into it early in their progress - when their rosters are much weaker - while average and below average players can "outlevel" the content by reaching it slower (and thus having more time to build up roster) and if necessary "park" there until they amass enough strength to plow through it. Its not perfect, but that offers the best compromise for core progressional content that has to be reasonably interesting at release, but must ultimately cater to a very wide audience eventually.

That argument doesn't work for Everest content. Everest content is not intended to be core progressional content, and it has completely different difficulty requirements placed upon it. So what's the equivalent argument for Everest content? I believe this ultimately turns out to be less of a technical numbers problem, and more of an expectation problem. What's the reasonable expectation for Everest content, given its difficulty role *and* its reward profile?

I don't think there's an "answer" to that question. Instead, I think there's a choice. Its a choice I think should have been made explicitly long ago, but now we're in a situation where we have thousands of people who have all made their own choice, and believe the game should honor it. And they are mutually exclusive choices. Which means the best path forward is not going to be one where everyone is happy, but the one where everyone is the least unhappy. And that may ultimately include the developers (at least hypothetically: I don't get to tell them what to do).

I may be ready to stick my neck out tomorrow. Right now its all a tangle, and I'm trying to reduce the idea(s) to their simplest form that will fit in a forum post.
    I think we are thinking similar, not necessarily the same, things.

Dr. Zola
  • Options
    PikoluPikolu Posts: 6,685 Guardian
    DrZola said:

I think I can name the *problem*…but I’d like to know what you think the real problem is first.

Dr. Zola

To add my 2 cents, this isn't the *problem* but one of the big problems with the game is how trivialized endgame content has become due to revive farming. A low-skill thronebreaker who has 1-2 r4s is capable of getting a r5 for free if they just dedicate the time to farm revives and do the carina challenges. Due to this, everest content just provides easy free rewards for pretty much anyone willing to dedicate that time. I would like to mention that carina challenge rewards are far better than 2 months of EQ rewards you could potentially miss out on if youre farming a ton, but as DNA said earlier, people can still farm and get EQ/BGs done in a timely manner.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I really would like to know what eligible % of the playerbase has beaten carinas vol 3. This % is probably very high, not due to the spamming of revives, but to the ease of gathering revives. If the percentage is high, then kabam has to ask themselves seriously if they want the next abyss/EoP/Carinas to just give great rewards that would be valuable to endgame players, or give okay rewards because non-endgame players will also have easy access to those rewards as well.

While it does suck that revive farming is going away, I'd rather see great rewards than watered-down rewards for everest content.

• Options
    thepiggy said:

@GroundedWisdom you have a habit of arguing with nothing but platitudes. Like a fortune cookie saying common sense statements without taking anything into context.

"Everything is a choice"
    "If you can't do it, you're not ready for it"
    "Impatience is monetized"
    "It's called contest of champions. It's a contest and contests are competitive so by definition only the most motivated can do it"
    "Just because you ask for something doesn't mean you should get it"

All generally true-ish statements but they don't actually address anything. And you take dictionary definitions as literally as you can then you pour in whatever substance you want into them without actually addressing anything.

Farming is a basic staple that let's players keep up and match the type of content they're going up against. It's not an exploit and if anything the time and money requirements are the highest ever for both grinders and spenders. Cyber Monday unit purchase limits went from 3-4 and the unit store went from needing 15k to 39k. Where do you suppose people get these units from? It's not from dumping revives in broken temporary content whose rewards aren't worth much in 8 months. Please don't respond with "everything is a choice".

Farming might be the way Players have chosen (yes everything IS a choice in terms of how we invest our efforts), but all farming isn't really the debate here. The issue is farming the RNG-based Resources that were at a high rate because they were meant for newer Players. The rate was too high. Quite simply. We can go back and forth about whether we agree with that or not, but evidently Kabam feels so, so it's really an exercise of the mind.
    I'm sorry you don't like to hear it, but it's also a choice to save Units until once or twice a year. Some feel it's sacrosanct. Personally, I think the Rewards for Carina's and EoP and the like, would be a better investment than anything they're offering at one time. This game allows people to make their own choices. It's not the fault of the design if those choices don't yield everything.
  • Options
    SearmenisSearmenis Posts: 1,545 ★★★★★

Searmenis said:

Typhoon said:

People only pay for impatience.

You speak for all people?
    When you're talking about spending like crazy on Revs for permanent content, then people pay for impatience.
    Yes, because when you do EoP for example, and you re 4-5 fights in, and then AI decides to turn its God mode on, and you have to spend let s say, 20 more revives than you needed too, that s impatience to complete your run, instead of quitting and actually lose all previous items you already spent.
    This point has been made before and I'm going to be quite frank.
    Farming Revs from Act 3 was NOT an indirect compensation for issues. That just isn't a thing.
    DId I wrote the word "compensation" somewhere? No, because if I was, I was going to answer that the direct compensation for issues stopped because there s no issues anymore. But there Are issues, even worse than before in some cases, and even the 3-4 revives/ day won't make up for them at this stage.

Ok maybe 5 revives/day the most, you cannot farm more than that without a stack of refills. A truly outrageous big number indeed.
  • Options
    Graves_3Graves_3 Posts: 1,311 ★★★★★
    Pikolu said:

DrZola said:

I think I can name the *problem*…but I’d like to know what you think the real problem is first.

Dr. Zola

To add my 2 cents, this isn't the *problem* but one of the big problems with the game is how trivialized endgame content has become due to revive farming. A low-skill thronebreaker who has 1-2 r4s is capable of getting a r5 for free if they just dedicate the time to farm revives and do the carina challenges. Due to this, everest content just provides easy free rewards for pretty much anyone willing to dedicate that time. I would like to mention that carina challenge rewards are far better than 2 months of EQ rewards you could potentially miss out on if youre farming a ton, but as DNA said earlier, people can still farm and get EQ/BGs done in a timely manner.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I really would like to know what eligible % of the playerbase has beaten carinas vol 3. This % is probably very high, not due to the spamming of revives, but to the ease of gathering revives. If the percentage is high, then kabam has to ask themselves seriously if they want the next abyss/EoP/Carinas to just give great rewards that would be valuable to endgame players, or give okay rewards because non-endgame players will also have easy access to those rewards as well.

While it does suck that revive farming is going away, I'd rather see great rewards than watered-down rewards for everest content.

You wrote something interesting there. “What % of eligible player base beat Carina challenges?” That would ask the question as to what eligibility requirement was set for said content? If requirement was TB+ then it doesn’t matter if they have low skill with 0 r4 or someone with skills like MSD/bero/swedeah with 40 r4’s. If kabam had strict requirements ok who could clear, they could just specify that you need 15r4’s to enter the quest and be done with it. As for skill, I don’t know if they can effectively create a gate which requires having a certain skill cap without restricting item usage.
    So again what is the eligibility requirement if you are talking about eligible % of player base?
  • Options
    benshb said:

thepiggy said:

@GroundedWisdom you have a habit of arguing with nothing but platitudes. Like a fortune cookie saying common sense statements without taking anything into context.

"Everything is a choice"
    "It's called contest of champions. It's a contest and contests are competitive so by definition only the most motivated can do it"

All generally true-ish statements but they don't actually address anything. And you take dictionary definitions as literally as you can then you pour in whatever substance you want into them without actually addressing anything.

Farming is a basic staple that let's players keep up and match the type of content they're going up against. It's not an exploit and if anything the time and money requirements are the highest ever for both grinders and spenders. Cyber Monday unit purchase limits went from 3-4 and the unit store went from needing 15k to 39k. Where do you suppose people get these units from? It's not from dumping revives in broken temporary content whose rewards aren't worth much in 8 months. Please don't respond with "everything is a choice".

Farming might be the way Players have chosen (yes everything IS a choice in terms of how we invest our efforts), but all farming isn't really the debate here. The issue is farming the RNG-based Resources that were at a high rate because they were meant for newer Players. The rate was too high. Quite simply. We can go back and forth about whether we agree with that or not, but evidently Kabam feels so, so it's really an exercise of the mind.
    I'm sorry you don't like to hear it, but it's also a choice to save Units until once or twice a year. Some feel it's sacrosanct. Personally, I think the Rewards for Carina's and EoP and the like, would be a better investment than anything they're offering at one time. This game allows people to make their own choices. It's not the fault of the design if those choices don't yield everything.
    They were meant for newer players?

How exactly and why? What's the difference between an X rated player farming 10 revives for an Y rated content (new players VS 5.2 collector), and an X+n rated player farming 10 revives for an Y+n rated content (paragons vs Carina v3)?

Those, who have completed previous content and challenges, but don't like the grindiness of arena or BG. What should they do? Just abandon the game? Or should they prepare for the next big thing to come. They gather refills in the overflow. Should they just let them expire.
    They are engaging in the game. Is that really bad?
    What do you mean how and why? They were put there to help Players at that stage. That's why it was a high rate. Not for people to keep spamming for high-end content.
  • Options

The time to enter the Quest and click Auto-Play is not that valuable a commodity.

But each energy used in game costs 5 minutes. 42 energy = 4 hours and 12 minutes.
    So over a 24 hour period is 5 revives if you are extremely efficient.

So people farming all those revives, you think it's with free/in-game energy? Or you think they can auto-farm energy in game too?
    Once again, people aren't just farming with that. If they were getting a couple Revs a day, we wouldn't be here. They're using their stores of Refills.
  • Options

benshb said:

thepiggy said:

"Everything is a choice"

They were meant for newer players?

How exactly and why? What's the difference between an X rated player farming 10 revives for an Y rated content (new players VS 5.2 collector), and an X+n rated player farming 10 revives for an Y+n rated content (paragons vs Carina v3)?

Those, who have completed previous content and challenges, but don't like the grindiness of arena or BG. What should they do? Just abandon the game? Or should they prepare for the next big thing to come. They gather refills in the overflow. Should they just let them expire.
    They are engaging in the game. Is that really bad?
    What do you mean how and why? They were put there to help Players at that stage. That's why it was a high rate. Not for people to keep spamming for high-end content.
    Dude they create high-end content KNOWING that people will need like an average 30-40 revives, each carina's challenge v3 is like this with those restrictions, if you were to farm only 1 revive per day with apothecary, it would take like 30-40 days for EACH mission...that's insane dude
    OF COURSE some people will spend less and some people will spend more, but kabam has full knowledge that the content they create has become a revive spam
    30 Revs, 1200 Units, I can make that in a little over a week, not even going hard in the Arena.
This discussion has been closed.