**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

BG Scoring Needs a minor Tweak

IamnikeIamnike Posts: 252 ★★
I like the new scoring in BGs awarding cleaner fights rather than who can blast through there fight the fastest. However there is type of situation that always grinds my gears. When you lose a good chunk of health but still finish the fight but still lose the round when your opponent doesn't finish the fight but they stayed healthy. In my opinion if you finish the fight and your opponent doesn't you should the match . The easy way to fix this is to add a "knockout bonus" to your score to ensure you are rewarded for winning fights.

Comments

• Options
    KnightOfTheRealmKnightOfTheRealm Posts: 915 ★★★
    Completely agree.
  • Options
    Drago_von_DragoDrago_von_Drago Posts: 781 ★★★★
    I’ve made the same comment before on here. I think the priority should be finishing the fight, then go to time and/or remaining health. We’re in the minority based on the feedback on the forum and the direction Kabam when with it.

Most people think it’s “better play” to avoid getting hit than to take a risk and finish the fight.

I’ve taken advantage of it and started pausing to safely waste some fight time so I don’t have to worry about getting KO’ed myself and it’s paid off more once. Put up a tanky defender and if they don’t pick a good counter, just play it safe in your fight, do a good chunk of damage, pause for 60ish seconds, and then finish out the fight safely. More often than not, even if they get the KO, you’ll get more points for your remaining health + your damage dealt than they will for the time bonus + their remaining health. At least that’s how it’s playing out for me so far.

Just be careful, the fights now unpause before the fight is actually over so you have to plan for that when you pause a match now. I didn’t know that had changed and ended up with the defending nick fury at 100% health…
  • Options
    IamnikeIamnike Posts: 252 ★★

Iamnike said:

I like the new scoring in BGs awarding cleaner fights rather than who can blast through there fight the fastest. However there is type of situation that always grinds my gears. When you lose a good chunk of health but still finish the fight but still lose the round when your opponent doesn't finish the fight but they stayed healthy. In my opinion if you finish the fight and your opponent doesn't you should the match . The easy way to fix this is to add a "knockout bonus" to your score to ensure you are rewarded for winning fights.

That makes it a bit more nukey, you say you like that it awards cleaner fights and then say that you wish messier fights were rewarded more than cleaner fights.

Someone who finished at 100% health but timed out with opponent on 1% health would lose to someone who lost 99% of their health but finished with 1 second to spare. That doesn’t sound right

There also already is a knockout bonus, because there’s an aspect of the score which is only given to you if you knock the opponent out. It’s the time bonus, which is a set amount of points that scales with how fast you KO the opponent, faster time means a higher bonus because you did it faster/better.
    I see where you coming from and that makes sense but I think the main objective is to finish the fight and if you finish the fight you should be awarded and if don't that should be the punishment.
  • Options
    Mother_FlerkenMother_Flerken Posts: 508 ★★★
    Iamnike said:

Iamnike said:

That makes it a bit more nukey, you say you like that it awards cleaner fights and then say that you wish messier fights were rewarded more than cleaner fights.

Someone who finished at 100% health but timed out with opponent on 1% health would lose to someone who lost 99% of their health but finished with 1 second to spare. That doesn’t sound right

There also already is a knockout bonus, because there’s an aspect of the score which is only given to you if you knock the opponent out. It’s the time bonus, which is a set amount of points that scales with how fast you KO the opponent, faster time means a higher bonus because you did it faster/better.
    I see where you coming from and that makes sense but I think the main objective is to finish the fight and if you finish the fight you should be awarded and if don't that should be the punishment.
    Main objective is to score higher than the opponent with the scoring parameters available.
  • Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,922 ★★★★★
    IMO, the 5k they took from time should have been added as a kill bonus.
  • Options
    H3t3rH3t3r Posts: 2,882 Guardian

IMO, the 5k they took from time should have been added as a kill bonus.

I'd rather that 5k be put in the health remaining. More incentive to finish at 100%
  • Options
    Cheating means violating a rule. I don’t see any rule that pausing violates. If there are rules somewhere I’ll read them and adjust accordingly.

The game mode is about finding the best way to maximize your score. I’m doing that by taking advantage of a mechanism everyone has access to. I’m really doing it to point out the flaw in the scoring system.

Ending with more health doesn’t equate to better play but it does equate to more points in this system.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,378 ★★★★★
    I'm not a fan of the new scoring personally. It's screwed results up.
  • Options
    Watcher6Watcher6 Posts: 43

Cheating means violating a rule. I don’t see any rule that pausing violates. If there are rules somewhere I’ll read them and adjust accordingly.

The game mode is about finding the best way to maximize your score. I’m doing that by taking advantage of a mechanism everyone has access to. I’m really doing it to point out the flaw in the scoring system.

Ending with more health doesn’t equate to better play but it does equate to more points in this system.

It’s exploiting something not meant for that purpose. You’re using something meant for taking a break if you need to sneeze, or you’re being spoken to for a competitive advantage in a match because you messed up (pushed to sp3), want to exploit (Nick second life avoiding) or are not confident in your ability to play well so you cheat by not taking more damage.

There doesn’t need to be a rule in place to be a cheat

Word😂😂😂🤣
  • Options
    Mother_FlerkenMother_Flerken Posts: 508 ★★★

It hasn't screwed results up, results are exactly as they should be based on the scoring system, you just personally don't like them as fights are settled by closer margins more often.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,262 ★★★★★

It's screwed results up.

In what sense?
  • Options
    TyEdgeTyEdge Posts: 2,995 ★★★★★
    Real talk: the scoring change was to lessen the disparity between 7-star heavy decks (champs with enormous health pools) and 6-star heavy decks.

It’s also wild to see these people complaining about it changing the results. The difference is less than 42 points per second. It matters in a narrow subset of matches.

It’s also a short timer…shorter than any other mode. They don’t want matches to be 3-5 minutes per round, so they fix the timer at 2 minutes, give a bonus for a KO in the form of “time remaining” then don’t assess other penalties.
  • Options
    Where is the purpose for pausing spelled out in game?

If it’s meant to be for short term things, have it unpause after 20-30 seconds, or better still, just remove it for BG make it a forfeit if you leave the game screen during a fight. If it’s left in, people are going to use it this way regardless of whether some folks on here think it’s cheating.

I’m doing it to test the strategy and point out the flaws. This scoring change and the bugs and the cheating have turned me off it to BG. The scoring thing is the only thing that seems possibly fixable for next season though so I’m testing things out to make a case for a change.

Right now if you get the KO in the last 10 seconds you get less than 1000pts. for it. Every 10% of health you have remaining is 1500 points. And that’s percent health, so tanky champs actually fair better on offense because they lose a smaller percentage when they get hit which rewards more points at the end of the match. It’s all trade offs but if they leave pausing in, don’t penalize it, and focus on health remaining over finishing the fight it creates the incentive to spend less time fighting.

I didn’t win this round because I played “better”, I won because I picked a tanky champ that has some healing and played very safely. I got hit twice as many times as my opponent and had to land twice as many hits to get the KO. That’s not better play to me but that’s what this scoring system rewards.

• Options

Can you seriously sit there and tell me with a straight face you think the pause button function is to stop fighting because you’re worried about taking more damage and losing?
  • Options
    TyEdge said:

Real talk: the scoring change was to lessen the disparity between 7-star heavy decks (champs with enormous health pools) and 6-star heavy decks.

It’s also wild to see these people complaining about it changing the results. The difference is less than 42 points per second. It matters in a narrow subset of matches.

It’s also a short timer…shorter than any other mode. They don’t want matches to be 3-5 minutes per round, so they fix the timer at 2 minutes, give a bonus for a KO in the form of “time remaining” then don’t assess other penalties.

But the flip side is using a 7* attacker is now rewarded more because you can take more hits and lose a smaller percentage of your health. It doesn’t balance things, it just shifts advantages. In my opinion it shifted them too far away from actually winning the fight.
  • Options
    edited July 2023

It hasn't screwed results up, results are exactly as they should be based on the scoring system, you just personally don't like them as fights are settled by closer margins more often.
    No. I'm not a fan of a scoring metric that makes keeping as much Health the main objective, when it only caters to a small demographic of Players who call that skill. There are other forms of skill.
    The old scoring had 3 things you had to focus on. Not just one. You're essentially saying keeping more Health is more important than taking your Opponent down before the other person. That means pausing is a tactic that is more lucrative.
    Also, yes. The Fight margins are too tight. That's an issue for me.
    There was nothing wrong with the scoring before. I disagree with the change.
    Do you not think that by focussing less on time it allows you to make a wider group of champions viable for the game mode instead of focussing on a smaller group of champions that can do fights really fast and don’t really care about keeping health? And hence means that your knowledge of the draft and RPG counters is rewarded more by building a successful deck and choosing the right counters

For example, before the changes, if someone placed a Dr Doom, you would be better off using a Juggernaut, super fast counter that can nuke him down while losing 5-10% health. But that’s not an RPG counter, that’s just picking someone super fast who can nuke it faster than your opponent.

Now, it’s a smarter choice to pick quicksilver for it. He’s not fast, but he absolutely counters everything about Doom, and more often than not will have a higher average health remaining than Juggs vs Doom. A player is rewarded more for picking a good counter. In some sense, there’s a lower reliance on skill in that particular example, because you need more skill to use juggernaut vs Doom than QS. But now you’re rewarded more for your strategy.

Regarding the pause strategy, you and I agree on that, but it doesn’t mean the scoring changes are good or bad, just that it’s a more pressing issue to finally address and stop letting players be able to cheat using it.
    I think removing the time element removed a plethora of scenarios for a Win. It rewards people who can avoid getting hit, which is one aspect, but at the expense of those who actually down their Opponent, but lost more Health. Which makes absolutely no sense.
    Question. Do you justify someone winning who has full Health but took 2 minutes over someone who downed the Opponent in less time but has half Health? I don't.
    TyEdge said:

You mean it rewards 7* Champs because they have more Attack and Health.
    Also, you're talking about 5000 Points between 2 minutes. Not insignificant.
  • Options

Can you seriously sit there and tell me with a straight face you think the pause button function is to stop fighting because you’re worried about taking more damage and losing?
    I can’t tell you what it’s intended for. I can just tell you how it can be used.

Can you seriously sit there with a straight face and tell me nobody is doing it and the current scoring doesn’t incentivize it?

There are prominent YouTubers mentioning it as a strategy for Nick Fury fights. You can be self righteous and complain about it and call it cheating but the scoring change incentivized it so you’re giving up an a tool in the toolbox by not using it. Hopefully highlighting it will get
    Kabam to make a change.

• Options
    edited July 2023

No. I'm not a fan of a scoring metric that makes keeping as much Health the main objective, when it only caters to a small demographic of Players who call that skill. There are other forms of skill.
    The old scoring had 3 things you had to focus on. Not just one. You're essentially saying keeping more Health is more important than taking your Opponent down before the other person. That means pausing is a tactic that is more lucrative.
    Do you not think that by focussing less on time it allows you to make a wider group of champions viable for the game mode instead of focussing on a smaller group of champions that can do fights really fast and don’t really care about keeping health? And hence means that your knowledge of the draft and RPG counters is rewarded more by building a successful deck and choosing the right counters

For example, before the changes, if someone placed a Dr Doom, you would be better off using a Juggernaut, super fast counter that can nuke him down while losing 5-10% health. But that’s not an RPG counter, that’s just picking someone super fast who can nuke it faster than your opponent.

Now, it’s a smarter choice to pick quicksilver for it. He’s not fast, but he absolutely counters everything about Doom, and more often than not will have a higher average health remaining than Juggs vs Doom. A player is rewarded more for picking a good counter. In some sense, there’s a lower reliance on skill in that particular example, because you need more skill to use juggernaut vs Doom than QS. But now you’re rewarded more for your strategy.

Regarding the pause strategy, you and I agree on that, but it doesn’t mean the scoring changes are good or bad, just that it’s a more pressing issue to finally address and stop letting players be able to cheat using it.
    I think removing the time element removed a plethora of scenarios for a Win. It rewards people who can avoid getting hit, which is one aspect, but at the expense of those who actually down their Opponent, but lost more Health. Which makes absolutely no sense.
    Question. Do you justify someone winning who has full Health but took 2 minutes over someone who downed the Opponent in less time but has half Health? I don't.
    The time element wasn’t removed, it was reduced. Important to be accurate about these things imo.

Absolutely I do, because it means you could throw a nuke like CGR at immortal Abom and screw the damage taken, you did it fast. That’s not skilful, that’s throwing a nuke at a champion who is objectively a bad matchup, playing bad but doing it fast.
    Then we will have to agree to disagree. There are Players who consider the only measure of skill to be not getting hit. Which is fine. When you center an entire game mode around rewarding that aspect and not rewarding the skill in choosing matchups (which goes into winning faster), then you're negating the whole process of Drafts and picks. The system was fine the way it was. It rewarded more than one definition of skill. Now it's limited to Players who are skilled with the same few God Tier Champs, and those who pride themselves on never getting hit. It decentivizes taking Damage.
  • Options

I can’t tell you what it’s intended for. I can just tell you how it can be used.

Can you seriously sit there with a straight face and tell me nobody is doing it and the current scoring doesn’t incentivize it?

There are prominent YouTubers mentioning it as a strategy for Nick Fury fights. You can be self righteous and complain about it and call it cheating but the scoring change incentivized it so you’re giving up an a tool in the toolbox by not using it. Hopefully highlighting it will get
    Kabam to make a change.

Well if YouTubers say it’s a strategy then it must be ok

No I can’t tell you nobody is doing it, or that the system doesn’t incentivise it. I never claimed either of those things, whereas you implied that the purpose of the pause is never specified, so there’s a chance it was meant to be used to exploit the game. When we both know that is a disingenuous argument.

Additionally, using the fact that YouTubers said it, people do it, and the scoring encourages it as an excuse for why cheating is ok is a weak argument and weak character. “Everyone else does it” does not make cheating ok.

Shelling in alliance war is currently possible, you can make an alliance and go and beat up on low alliances and get to masters right now, then switch to a shell alliance and do the same. That does not make it a morally good thing to do, it does not make it “not cheating” just because it’s possible. It’s dishonest and people who do it know that.

Something being in the game doesn’t absolve you of responsibility of exploitation and cheating. I only hope it does get addressed so people can stop hiding behind the weak excuse of “I’m not cheating because everyone else does it and it’s in the game”.
  • Options
    Personally, I’d give the win to whoever does it fastest regardless of remaining health. I’m not bothered by a scoring system that factors time and remaining health secondary to getting the KO, though.

Maybe take time out all together and just go by KO first, then remaining health? That seems closer to what most people want.

At the end of the day, there is no answer everyone will like. I just think the current answer is too far from where it should be and shifted further in the wrong direction than the last iteration.
  • Options
    altavistaaltavista Posts: 1,338 ★★★★
    I don't think it needs a Minor Tweak. The knockout bonus is already present in the form of getting the full 30k points plus whatever you get from the time component.

I do agree on your point that now Fight Time is essentially irrelevant (focusing on staying close to 100% health is more valuable than being aggressive to finish the fight faster). So in essence, this does make it a focus on just 2 components compared to 3 components.

To your point about margins, I do agree that this Current scoring system punishes mistakes/errors more than the Historic scoring system. The perpetual existence Kabam's bug or lags where it doesn't respond to your dex or parry, results in loss of health. Previously, you could overcome this since the Time Score gave you a good buffer for any of those mistakes. Now? You are pretty much more guaranteed to lose a match since the Time Score doesn't do enough to get you a win.

Personally, I like that BGs is not just about nuking, so that makes more champions viable on offense and defense. But the flip side is that now it is less strategic since the focus is just on health.

But overall, the change is ... a change. For the majority of players it is neither good nor bad, it is just different. There are pros and cons to the current and previous scoring system.
  • Options
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's my stance.
  • Options

The time element wasn’t removed, it was reduced. Important to be accurate about these things imo.

Absolutely I do, because it means you could throw a nuke like CGR at immortal Abom and screw the damage taken, you did it fast. That’s not skilful, that’s throwing a nuke at a champion who is objectively a bad matchup, playing bad but doing it fast.
    Then we will have to agree to disagree. There are Players who consider the only measure of skill to be not getting hit. Which is fine. When you center an entire game mode around rewarding that aspect and not rewarding the skill in choosing matchups (which goes into winning faster), then you're negating the whole process of Drafts and picks. The system was fine the way it was. It rewarded more than one definition of skill. Now it's limited to Players who are skilled with the same few God Tier Champs, and those who pride themselves on never getting hit. It decentivizes taking Damage.
    Incentivising taking damage sounds like the complete opposite of skilled play.

Choosing matchups is completely centred around not taking damage and doing matches well and fast. Like my example before choosing juggernaut for a doom fight is not more RPG based than choosing QS for it. The draft phase has never been more important because before you could just use Jugs, CGR, ghost and nuke everything without skill or draft knowledge. Now you need to pick better options