Fixing BG for 95% of players with one simple change

Comments

• rockykostonrockykoston Member Posts: 1,505 ★★★★

This are ALL suggestions to make BGs easier for lower roster or skill players, not to improve . It has been 11 seasons of changes to make it easier for other people, that is not improvement.
    The only QoL change that has been done over a year of the game mode release has been seeding, which in the subject of this thread makes advancing and keeping a tier EASIER.

Agree with this analysis.
    These recommended changes will make BGs easier and not necessarily improve anything.

I totally understand that people want to win and losing to bigger accounts is deflating, however, you have to understand that you've either

- reached your progress limit and need to grow the roster.
    - or need to wait a few days so others at their skill level can come in the same bracket.

I played this season at account rating of ~16.5k and was matched with a mix of accounts, quite a few of them were over 19.5k which made winning really difficult at times.

It's part of playing at the high levels, you will get put against the bigger rosters in the bracket.

+2 , -1 system is good, players need to understand that higher levels need higher win rate to identify and filter the better players. Even with this distribution a lot of players will hit the progress wall, but probably a tier later.

So yeah, not good suggestions imo, grow your roster and try again.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,510 ★★★★★
    edited September 2023
    I disagree because if you look at the changes over 11 Seasons, that's not an accurate assessment.
    After Season 2, the Matchmaking was changed to respond to Tanking. Which happens with any competition in this game. Competitiveness turns into unfair advantages.
    When lower Players were advancing faster than larger Accounts, they began the process of changing the Matchmaking. Players complained about being stuck in cycles, so they changed the Token system. Which, is exactly the argument we're having now because the problem still exists.
    Another complaint people had was starting over every Season, so they began working on a seeding system. Which also serves a double purpose of improving the Matchmaking by separating larger Players.
    That would have been enough, but they changed the Token system, added more Tiers, and here we are.
    It has not been 11 Seasons of making it easier for lower Players. It's been a response to larger Players taking advantage of the system, and cleaning up the effects of that. People created a problem, complained about the consequences, then insisted it become harder for others.
    Which is a reasonable, albeit bitter, point. It should be a challenge for Players at an earlier stage. It would be with the suggestion I put forth. What you have now is a punishing system. That doesn't help anyone but the people who enjoy watching others struggle.
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,625 ★★★★★

This are ALL suggestions to make BGs easier for lower roster or skill players, not to improve . It has been 11 seasons of changes to make it easier for other people, that is not improvement.
    The only QoL change that has been done over a year of the game mode release has been seeding, which in the subject of this thread makes advancing and keeping a tier EASIER.

These recommended changes will make BGs easier and not necessarily improve anything.

I totally understand that people want to win and losing to bigger accounts is deflating, however, you have to understand that you've either

- or need to wait a few days so others at their skill level can come in the same bracket.

I played this season at account rating of ~16.5k and was matched with a mix of accounts, quite a few of them were over 19.5k which made winning really difficult at times.

It's part of playing at the high levels, you will get put against the bigger rosters in the bracket.

+2 , -1 system is good, players need to understand that higher levels need higher win rate to identify and filter the better players. Even with this distribution a lot of players will hit the progress wall, but probably a tier later.

There is a very big problem with changes like this, and people only look at short term.
    2-1 coin will make VT easier even if they don't wanna admit it. It will also force a player to hit their roof faster and they don't realize that. Sure advance fast, grab your rewards on the very first day or week, then you have 3 weeks stuck doing 20 matches to complete a win 3 match objective.
    What happens next? they say things such as "I have been stuck for 3 weeks its no fair, change it to something else so I can get more
    Meanwhile the players who actually like the mode and are able get nothing because they spend all the time catering people who are clearly not ready.
    They want to talk about changes? Well I think 10k trophies for URU3 is low for it means, but people stuck in Plat2 would probably be against raising it.

I disagree because if you look at the changes over 11 Seasons, that's not an accurate assessment.
    After Season 2, the Matchmaking was changed to respond to Tanking. Which happens with any competition in this game. Competitiveness turns into unfair advantages.
    When lower Players were advancing faster than larger Accounts, they began the process of changing the Matchmaking. Players complained about being stuck in cycles, so they changed the Token system. Which, is exactly the argument we're having now because the problem still exists.
    Another complaint people had was starting over every Season, so they began working on a seeding system. Which also serves a double purpose of improving the Matchmaking by separating larger Players.
    That would have been enough, but they changed the Token system, added more Tiers, and here we are.
    It has not been 11 Seasons of making it easier for lower Players. It's been a response to larger Players taking advantage of the system, and cleaning up the effects of that. People created a problem, complained about the consequences, then insisted it become harder for others.
    Which is a reasonable, albeit bitter, point. It should be a challenge for Players at an earlier stage. It would be with the suggestion I put forth. What you have now is a punishing system. That doesn't help anyone but the people who enjoy watching others struggle.

What has been done to improve the game mode other than reward distribution?
    And stop saying larger players, as if they were the problem in a progression based game. Large players is who the game should be catered to cause they put their time, effort, and money.
    Always making it sound as if they are the big bad wolf and you are wearing a cape to save the smaller players.
    Everyone takes advantage of something in this game and you know that; but somehow you think Larger players are at fault.

There is a very big problem with changes like this, and people only look at short term.
    2-1 coin will make VT easier even if they don't wanna admit it. It will also force a player to hit their roof faster and they don't realize that. Sure advance fast, grab your rewards on the very first day or week, then you have 3 weeks stuck doing 20 matches to complete a win 3 match objective.
    What happens next? they say things such as "I have been stuck for 3 weeks its no fair, change it to something else so I can get more
    Meanwhile the players who actually like the mode and are able get nothing because they spend all the time catering people who are clearly not ready.
    They want to talk about changes? Well I think 10k trophies for URU3 is low for it means, but people stuck in Plat2 would probably be against raising it.
    Agreed , the rewards differences between uru 3, 2, 1 is very minimal and does not reflect the effort needed to progress. Same can be said for the next 3 and the next.

A gameplay change can be that bans affect rosters differently just like in war. If I'm banning opponent's Nick Fury, it should not ban my champ. Sure it's debatable, but I believe what I ban should only affect the opponent and vice versa.

I believe Victory Track nodes should also change , maybe not every week, but mid way through the season. That gives people a chance to go through different nodes if they are not enjoying the first set.
  • DrZolaDrZola Member Posts: 8,979 ★★★★★

Outside the box ideas…

(1) A once per week “challenge” option where I can pick a player rated above me and challenge them directly. Lower player swaps places if he/she wins, drops a full tier if he/she loses. Higher ranked player gets nothing for winning. Higher ranked players have to accept at least once challenge per cycle or they get penalized.

(2) The ability to wager multiple coins on fights in order to gain more than just one coin, but at the risk of losing what you wager.

(3) Extra points in fights for beating defenders who have a higher challenge rating, especially now that ascended 4*’s are a thing. Might even goose the demand for things like the current rare champ offer.

(4) Champ specific BG objectives. Imagine: “Beat a mystic defender with 4* Groot.”

(5) Extra points for shutout matches. Bigger losses for forfeits.

Some wacky and impractical, I know. But this thread needs more of that and less of the typical devolution that plagues all BG threads.

Dr. Zola

Agreed , the rewards differences between uru 3, 2, 1 is very minimal and does not reflect the effort needed to progress. Same can be said for the next 3 and the next.

A gameplay change can be that bans affect rosters differently just like in war. If I'm banning opponent's Nick Fury, it should not ban my champ. Sure it's debatable, but I believe what I ban should only affect the opponent and vice versa.

I believe Victory Track nodes should also change , maybe not every week, but mid way through the season. That gives people a chance to go through different nodes if they are not enjoying the first set.
    People complain about the difficulty of the nodes and scoring already, changing the nodes or meta weekly would be worse.
    Some people barely have a roster to fill out a deck, imagine changing metas on them.
    That's what bothers me the most, sure for some people its just a game mode, win get rewards. Others are investing on just the game mode. While this lower progression players complain about the difficulty when they are barely building a roster to clear content.
    DrZola said:

Outside the box ideas…

(1) A once per week “challenge” option where I can pick a player rated above me and challenge them directly. Lower player swaps places if he/she wins, drops a full tier if he/she loses. Higher ranked player gets nothing for winning. Higher ranked players have to accept at least once challenge per cycle or they get penalized.

(2) The ability to wager multiple coins on fights in order to gain more than just one coin, but at the risk of losing what you wager.

(3) Extra points in fights for beating defenders who have a higher challenge rating, especially now that ascended 4*’s are a thing. Might even goose the demand for things like the current rare champ offer.

(4) Champ specific BG objectives. Imagine: “Beat a mystic defender with 4* Groot.”

(5) Extra points for shutout matches. Bigger losses for forfeits.

Some wacky and impractical, I know. But this thread needs more of that and less of the typical devolution that plagues all BG threads.

Dr. Zola
    I agree they are wacky lol; but you might be somewhat in the right direction.
    I just don't understand why a player would want to get stuck faster with this 2-1 coin system, because people who get stuck will only do that, advance and get stuck faster.
    I don't see that perspective. It isn't going to make them get stuck faster. Nor would it prevent them from hitting their plateau.
    You don't wanna see it which is different.
    Didn't we clash on 2 matchmaking threads on people who reached Plat2 on day 1 and other on day 3? If this current system is so impossible to succeed in how did they make it there so fast?

People complain about the difficulty of the nodes and scoring already, changing the nodes or meta weekly would be worse.
    Some people barely have a roster to fill out a deck, imagine changing metas on them.
    That's what bothers me the most, sure for some people its just a game mode, win get rewards. Others are investing on just the game mode. While this lower progression players complain about the difficulty when they are barely building a roster to clear content.
    People will always complain. They complain every season on how the nodes are soooo difficult or how is this fight possible.

It's hard to accept losses and easier to blame the system or matchup etc.

I'm not sure if you read it right, I said midway through the season, not every week. If people are struggling to fill a deck of 30 champs at similar strength then they have a bigger problem than complain about BG difficulty.

I remember a while back we needed our best for 3 AQ champs, 8 AW champs which didn't leave a whole lot for questing etc, but now with so many champs, with a lot of overlapping abilities people need to explore more in their roster and upgrade what THEY need, rather than just go with popular tier lists.

Again, there will always be people complaining, because that's easier than looking inside and contemplating how can they get better.
    edited September 2023

People will always complain. They complain every season on how the nodes are soooo difficult or how is this fight possible.

I'm not sure if you read it right, I said midway through the season, not every week. If people are struggling to fill a deck of 30 champs at similar strength then they have a bigger problem than complain about BG difficulty.

I remember a while back we needed our best for 3 AQ champs, 8 AW champs which didn't leave a whole lot for questing etc, but now with so many champs, with a lot of overlapping abilities people need to explore more in their roster and upgrade what THEY need, rather than just go with popular tier lists.

Again, there will always be people complaining, because that's easier than looking inside and contemplating how can they get better.
    Yeah sorry I didn't read it right, i thought you meant change it like GC.
    You are right, AQ was for whales cause they had rosters and others can't do quest while in AQ.
    War is fkr whaless it locks 8 champs; but my point is not even that. Lets put it this way as an example.
    How am I supposed to feel about someone who complains about advancing (which really means rewards) or being stuck, when they just ascended a 5* hercules as a top champ and others are putting sigs on Korg? There are miles of time invested for them to complain about 1 single game mode.

Yeah sorry I didn't read it right, i thought you meant change it like GC.
    You are right, AQ was for whales cause they had rosters and others can't do quest while in AQ.
    War is fkr whaless it locks 8 champs; but my point is not even that. Lets put it this way as an example.
    How am I supposed to feel about someone who complains about advancing (which really means rewards) or being stuck, when they just ascended a 5* hercules as a top champ and others are putting sigs on Korg? There are miles of time invested for them to complain about 1 single game mode.
    Yeah I don't think a lot of people make wise decisions in this game, but then they should just play it like that and understand that BGs is highly competitive and tests every ounce of your skill from roster selection, champ selection, defender-attacker splits, nodes knowledge and finally fighting skill.

It's one of the best modes for people who want to be competitive and the worst for casuals.
    The argument isn't competitive versus casual. I think that's a judgment on where people are at in the game.
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Member Posts: 1,941 ★★★★★

Proven more harm than good, with the absence of seeding. That's what you're ignoring.

That's just incorrect. It's been proven countless times to be more good than harm. It's a system designed with the express intention of the letting the system decide what's fair. Not the developers, not the players, the system itself says that this is fair. And your argument is that it's more harm than good, but you're refusing to reference the sources I gave you. Teams of people wrote breakdowns on why the system is designed this way.

Let's break this down:

It's just undeniable that players maintaining a 50% win rate are average in their league. That means they're winning against the bottom half and losing against the top half.

So, in simplest terms, 50% = average, less than 50% = below average, greater than 50% = above average.

In a +2/-1 system, the most average player will progress to the next tier simply by maintaining a 50% win rate for 10 games or by maintaining a 100% win rate for 3, then a 0% win rate for 3, averaging at 50%.

So let's say Timmy, a player in Vib 3 with a 50% win rate and a 1.4 mil account, wins 3 in a row due to being matched with the bottom 20% of Vib 3. This progresses Timmy to Vib 2 due to the +2/-1 system with a 5 coin requirement. Now, the most average player in Vib 2 has a 50% win rate and a 2 million account. Timmy's win rate drops to 35% due to being outmatched in this new league.

Timmy then makes forum post after forum post complaining about matchmaking. He can't complete objectives because he's losing 75% of his fights and he keeps matching with 1.8 mil-2.2 million rating accounts. Now, since Timmy has an underdeveloped roster and takes up spots at the bottom 35% of Vib 2, a player with a 40% win rate can beat him in order to progress to Vib 1.

Under leveled accounts would be invading the higher levels, completely throwing off win rates, giving easy wins to the players who previously would've had a 50% win rate, but now have a 65% win rate due to players like Timmy feeding them wins. Timmy's situation would be happening to hundreds, if not thousands of players.

It doesn't work.
    That's literally what we have now. The lowest Players are being fed to the wolves at Plat and up, being tossed around for Tanking, and told to Git Gud because it's a competition.
    Meanwhile, they're not only required to overcome the wolves to advance, they need 10 Tiers of consecutive Wins to get out of the VT. 10 Tiers of going up, down, up, down, up, up, down, up, down, down, etc.
    How long do you think it will last before people get tired of making little to no progress and being told to suck it up? I'll give you a hint. About as long as you would endure the same thing.
    You can ONLY be "fed to the wolves" if the system propels you well above your skill level. Are you suggesting that they do away with the siloes up to Plat 2 and just go with open matchmaking? I finally agree with GW.
    edited September 2023
    Casual players do not dictate how a competitive mode works, they are casual for a reason.
    Be happy with casual rewards, casual progression and casual advancement
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Member Posts: 1,941 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

I'm sorry but I disagree with that. Not pushing is not a solution. That's like saying, if you don't like it, don't play it.

You can back off and not push, or you can push and lose a lot. Not pushing is a solution to losing a lot for no reason. But if you expect the game mode to "fix" this for you by ensuring that you get something when you push, good luck. That's not a bug, that's a feature.

If you don't like it, don't play it.
    You can certainly "expect" the game mode to have feedback to the contrary when the system is designed in such a way that it becomes a never-ending loop of chasing your tail. You can voice your concerns about your own experience, and suggest what you think would improve it without being told to eat a **** sandwich because larger Accounts want to dictate what your push is worth.
    That only happens when someone is in above their level AND refuses to get better or improve their roster.
    First of all, I never suggested anything of the sort. Secondly, you can't call any Player below you just casual. That's not a blanket statement for every Player.
    edited September 2023
    You can give back the towel you are using as a cape, nobody needs a super hero to defend them.
    Casual or not they should be working on their accounts instead of crying over a single game mode they can succeed at.
    "Ohh I ascended my 5* now i must be good to get over plat2"
    I don't think you understand the range of Players I'm talking about.
    I dont think you underdtand BGs or Seeding, after all you said 10 tiers, unless you are implying everyone should advance to GC, it wouldn't be 10 tiers otherwise. Which also would mean you don't understand the player base Captain Nitpick

If you're going to continue to be rude and insulting, then I'm not going to continue discussing it with you.
    I'm talking about the slog from Plat to the GC. You're talking about an exaggerated easy street, and citing the lowest Players in BGs. What you're not acknowledging is everyone is paired with anyone in that stint. So I have no idea why you're on about the lowest.
    It's more than just challenging. It's annoyingly painful.
    Who asked you to continue? Matter of fact you said you would stop answering to me, I am still waiting for that moment.
    You really don't understand why there is 10 tiers that interact with seeding. You are basically rewarding the casual player with the change you are asking. Casual players that didn't care a previous season HAVE to advance thru the 10 tiers not have an easy way up to their roof
    Lower and casual players get lower and casual rewards that they have to work hard for, not made easier cause they throw a fuzz for not being able to string enough wins.
  • TyEdgeTyEdge Member Posts: 3,104 ★★★★★

It needs to go back to +2 -1 NOW. The enjoyment of the mode has been sucked dry this season. It’s absolutely horrible.

I could understand asking for literally anything else to change except this. Players' win rates evening out to 50% is the exact way that Ranked competitive game designers know they've made a good system. It's a constant for a reason. It literally just means that you are as strong as everyone else in your tier.

Asking for "strength" to be determined by skill rather than roster size is much more reasonable, though I doubt Kabam will ever go for that.
    The victory track shouldn’t be a ranked competitive mode. That’s what gladiator circuit is.

Victory track should do more to reward participation and to allow for more average players to progress with higher activity levels. If the solo event wasn’t useless, maybe it wouldn’t be necessary but I think it is.
    TyEdge said:

It needs to go back to +2 -1 NOW. The enjoyment of the mode has been sucked dry this season. It’s absolutely horrible.

I could understand asking for literally anything else to change except this. Players' win rates evening out to 50% is the exact way that Ranked competitive game designers know they've made a good system. It's a constant for a reason. It literally just means that you are as strong as everyone else in your tier.

Asking for "strength" to be determined by skill rather than roster size is much more reasonable, though I doubt Kabam will ever go for that.
    The victory track shouldn’t be a ranked competitive mode. That’s what gladiator circuit is.

Victory track should do more to reward participation and to allow for more average players to progress with higher activity levels. If the solo event wasn’t useless, maybe it wouldn’t be necessary but I think it is.
    They are being rewarded, their only roadblock to get more is an equal peer of players wanting the same thing Its PvP one will win and get it, another will lose and be stalled.
    It's absolutely impossible to discuss it with someone who keeps twisting everything to fit their "Too easy." narrative.
    I really want someone to give me a reasonable answer to this, I beg if necessary.
    We all know there is a roof at Plat2. That everyone matches everyone, which means advancing from there foward has a low success rate.
    Why is getting there fast thru a 2-1 coin system so necessary if they are going to hit a roof faster?
    Getting out of gold or plat3 is really not that hard over a 1 month period why is getting there fast so important? Unless you guys asking for the roof to be higher.

It's absolutely impossible to discuss it with someone who keeps twisting everything to fit their "Too easy." narrative.

At least I presented facts, you presented pain and frustration, which is funny since you made it clear so many times you are not talking about yourself. Unless you are some kind of medium that channels the pain and frustration of others.
    You're not presenting facts. You're presenting that your intention is keeping Players from progressing more than what's best overall