**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Has anyone watched The Marvels yet?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TheCaptain412TheCaptain412 Posts: 337 ★★★
    Saw it last night with my wife, two daughters, and one of their friends. It was fine for what it was, which was to serve as a bridge to move to the next project. This is wholly evident by the last scene in the movie and the mid-credits scene, as both of them had more impact on the MCU than the preceding 100 minutes.

Iman Vellani is the best part of the movie (excluding Goose), as she plays fangirl Kamala to perfection. As much as I like Brie Larson, she just seems bored by being involved with Marvel, and they left the character of Monica as too much of a cypher to really matter. Villain sucked, much like Ronan in the first GotG and Yon-Rogg in the CM movie, because the Kree’s motivations just aren’t that interesting.
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 8,010 ★★★★★

Terra said:

Captain Marvel isn't a good character.

That's just an incredibly lame take imo. Carol has a lot going for her across her history in Marvel comics.
    Movie version.
    Comics is good.
    Although her "civil war 2" segment I could care less for.
  • Options
    Terra said:

Terra said:

Captain Marvel isn't a good character.

That's just an incredibly lame take imo. Carol has a lot going for her across her history in Marvel comics.
    Movie version.
    Comics is good.
    Although her "civil war 2" segment I could care less for.
    Civil War 2 is one of her worst stories, I agree. But most characters who've existed as long as her have a few bad stories. Just look at Spider-Man right now lol.
  • Options
    2StarKing2StarKing Posts: 855 ★★★
    edited November 2023
    I wanted the big screen experience. Then, I let reviews influence me. I don't want to spend $35 on tickets for an "ok" movie or worst. Speaking of worst.

I feel betrayed by the trailer. It had Thanos voice over and apparently he is NOT in the movie. WTF!!!
  • Options
    evilKINGwilsonevilKINGwilson Posts: 212
    They went for Diversity for its own sake, not working it into a plot or meaning. Get woke, go broke Tim says.

Sad....it was something special with great stories and compelling characters brought to life. . It's pretty much rubbish now (Spider-Man & Dr. Strange were pretty good I'll admit )

But that's pretty much all of Hollywood with a few exceptions here and there...
  • Options
    Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,818 ★★★★★
    well, I really enjoyed it. I liked the leads, the villain didn't need to have an overly convoluted motive and the flerkitties were adorable. Also loved the cameos.
  • Options
    CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,940 ★★★★★
    Tbh the mcu just meeds to give up on a connected universe for a bit and go back to making really solid oneshot stories. Shang chi and Moonknight were the only things I have enjoyed since NWH (haven’t watched loki).
  • Options
    Darkraw346Darkraw346 Posts: 2,023 ★★★★
    I liked it
  • Options
    JgrnotJgrnot Posts: 43
    Spaceballs called. They want their plot back.
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 1,941 ★★★★
    @Crcrcrc Moon Knight was definitely interesting. How about the others, Hawkeye, FATWS, etc
  • Options
    BendyBendy Posts: 3,394 ★★★★★
    I finally got to watch it with a friend and we both generally enjoyed it very fun of a film and hope it becomes more fun in future with the mcu
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the Marvels. It was fun, light hearted, and had some great acting. Exceeded my expectations totally
  • Options
    spidyjedi84spidyjedi84 Posts: 264 ★★
    Going to see it again tonight. Had a great time last week, lot of comedy including one of the absolute best needle drops in any movie I've seen in years.
  • Options
    CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,940 ★★★★★
    EdisonLaw said:

@Crcrcrc Moon Knight was definitely interesting. How about the others, Hawkeye, FATWS, etc

FATWS was fantastic, I could barely sit through hawkeye, secret invasion was an absolute mess, wandavision was very interesting, ms. marvel was a bit too annoying of a character for me to like the show a bit, she hulk was good until like the last 2 episodes and the super random ending, and What If was absolutely incredible.
  • Options
    Wozzle007Wozzle007 Posts: 937 ★★★★★
    Kabam Jax said:

I really enjoyed the Marvels.

I think I had the added benefit of lowered expectations after the last few films in the MCU which I felt were just fine.

The way I've been describing it is: it is a very fun movie.

Is it going to blow you away? Probably not. Is it "action heroes saving the day"? Not always. Do the stakes feel particularly high? Not really. But it was very fun with unexpected twists and turns and some pretty damn good comedy.

I would say it had some of the best fight choreography in the MCU in a long time and the solutions to some problems felt ridiculous in a wonderfully James Gunn kind of way.

One of my few criticism was that the villain could definitely have been further fleshed out.

Pretty much exactly how I felt about it. You didn’t really get any sense there was much peril for heroes, but it didn’t take away from the movie being a really fun entertaining ride. Also the mid credit scene, WOW!
  • Options
    UsagicassidyUsagicassidy Posts: 1,052 ★★★★
    Saw it in Dolby and enjoyed how brisk and fun it was, and loved the three leads playing off each other - Kamala (and her family) is/are the obvious standout, but I liked what they gave to Carol in her relationship with Monica and you can see as the film goes on and with what happens at the end, how that changes her relationship with Kamala. Picture was crisp and sound was incredible. Unlike other recent ventures (Quantimania) this actually looked GOOD onscreen.

Saw it again in IMAX to see if the IMAX-formatted sequences warranted it - I thought it looked great on IMAX but moreso I ended up enjoying the film even more. A lot of sequences really pop - also the three leads costumes look SO much better in this film than some of the one's we've gotten from them in the past. I noticed that a lot the 2nd time. Honestly didn't notice any sound elements much - either good or bad.

Saw it once more in 3D IMAX to see how the conversion/presentation was, and I enjoyed it a lot! Not overwhelming (some times I feel they could've gone further) but I prefer a slightly *under* 3D presentation to one that overdoes it. Some of the space sequences - like the Flerkins - were a delight in 3D. My biggest complaint about 3D in general in cutting down on the brightness and colors, as is often the problem. Was not at all an issue with this film, and the sequences on teh colorful island popped just as much.

The biggest issue the film has is an underwhelming Antagonist but as a whole the film really was about the dynamics of the core three and I felt that's when it excelled the most. And the fight sequences with the power switching were incredibly fun to watch and well edited.

I have never found Carol to be a character that *quite* worked - ever. Not in the comics originally when she was Ms Marvel, not with her rebranding as Binary, not with her time with the X-Men, and not with her 00's rebranding to Captain Marvel. Nor was she compelling to me in any of her animated apperances. So, using Carol to be the first solo female MCU movie always felt like it was gonna be super odd to me, when almost every other Marvel female is more clearly defined, and interesting.

Any problems I had with Carol and Brie as presented in the first film were squanded with this one. I really liked this Carol (even though I think no one - not Marvel, not Disney, not Kevin, not Nia, not Brie - knows who she is) and her having to reckon with her past and her part in the Kree-Skrull wars was really humanizing for her.

If you don't want to spend the money or if you're fatigued with the MCU I get it. If you have something like AMC A-List, there's no reason *not* to see it. And if you're bored some Tuesday (or whenever your local cineplex might do discounted or $5 days or matinees), it's up to you but it really is a fun time at the movies.
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 1,941 ★★★★
    Kabam Jax said:

I think I had the added benefit of lowered expectations after the last few films in the MCU which I felt were just fine.

Is it going to blow you away? Probably not. Is it "action heroes saving the day"? Not always. Do the stakes feel particularly high? Not really. But it was very fun with unexpected twists and turns and some pretty damn good comedy.

I would say it had some of the best fight choreography in the MCU in a long time and the solutions to some problems felt ridiculous in a wonderfully James Gunn kind of way.

One of my few criticism was that the villain could definitely have been further fleshed out.

Runtime was a bit short however, maybe if it was longer it would be a better movie?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    EdisonLaw said:

Kabam Jax said:

Runtime was a bit short however, maybe if it was longer it would be a better movie?
    Yeah, 10 more minutes, maybe, may have allowed more development of stakes or the villain, definitely. But I also liked that it was a shorter film! Quantumania felt like it dragged on. So did Love and Thunder a little bit. Seems like they may have reevaluated pacing and wanted to avoid lulls, and I think it paid off!
  • Options
    BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Posts: 2,283 ★★★★★
    edited November 2023

I have never found Carol to be a character that *quite* worked - ever. Not in the comics originally when she was Ms Marvel, not with her rebranding as Binary, not with her time with the X-Men, and not with her 00's rebranding to Captain Marvel. Nor was she compelling to me in any of her animated apperances. So, using Carol to be the first solo female MCU movie always felt like it was gonna be super odd to me, when almost every other Marvel female is more clearly defined, and interesting.

She's been poorly written forever, basically across all media. From mid-carder to suddenly transform into the most awesomest, strongest, best at keepie uppie, coolest, most popular super hero ever, etc., etc. was jarring and odd, but the writers made it even worse by making her a jerk.

Your description of the crisp visuals is making me want to watch it at home instead of the theater.
  • Options
    Doug555Doug555 Posts: 26
    edited November 2023
    Feeling is that there's not much you can expect from MCU movies now with all the scandals and articles etc. But the hype of the Infinity Saga and few bad script decisions created a whole conundrum that just generates much more hate towards Marvel content that they probably do not deserve. It is an entertainment genre in the first place, not Christopher Nolan twist action content. Fun and popcorn worth movie if you ask me.
  • Options
    iDestroyerZiDestroyerZ Posts: 661 ★★★★
    edited November 2023
    Kabam Jax said:

Not to mention that Iman absolutely stole every scene she was in it, bro that actress was born for this character
  • Options
    peixemacacopeixemacaco Posts: 1,235 ★★★
    2StarKing said:

I wanted the big screen experience. Then, I let reviews influence me. I don't want to spend $35 on tickets for an "ok" movie or worst. Speaking of worst.

I feel betrayed by the trailer. It had Thanos voice over and apparently he is NOT in the movie. WTF!!!

I see...

What I see is that you prefered others opinions than yours.

And everyone knows the Marvel x DC fan base doing war at Rotten Tomatoes to vote against there.

Well, you missed the interesting film, the 1st post credits same way as in Iron Man(1) and the 2nd PC with an uncanny scene ,people screamed like the Spidey appearance in Civil War.

About this trailer, it was released to people remember Captain Marvel path before on MCU.
    Thanos, Iron Man, BW, and Cap (from other Multiverse) may return in Secret Wars in some point of the movies.

About poor quality CG , the reason is...Marvel success and Disney+ . Of course they wish to make money.
    How to acomplish so many tasks? Movies+Series+ other productions? They needed to hire many CG studios for this.

You can bet if Disney+ didn't exist, the great quality would continue.

Some days ago, I read a sad interview by Kevin Feige. He said that the plans after Endgame was to Captain Marvel, Black Panther and another one ,I forgot now, to lead the new Marvel phase, but a lot of fans became upset with Brie Larson... and Chadwick death was a great loss.

If someone says they're not trying to do the best, I will disagree, because you can see ,starting by the outfits ,the great work they're doing. And the history will never be 100% the same as in the comics.
    Just think ,if you already read it , why on hell you will go to watch the same history?

So if tickets are expensive, wait to watch on stream or after 2 years on local TV.

I do watch every hero movie and I feel that we're in a great era for this.
    But these "bad" things, can kill this era.

From a Marvel fan since 1983
  • Options
    Triclops1224Triclops1224 Posts: 107 ★★
    No relevant spoilers.

Caught it at the movies the other day. Kamala Khan and her family were the movie’s only bright spots in my opinion.

The villain was lame.

I don’t know if it’s the script writing or what, but Captain Marvel’s character just falls kind of flat in the MCU.

• Options
    GrO_ot78GrO_ot78 Posts: 361 ★★
    Everything after "Endgame" has been 💩...mostly supporting actors who can't carry a whole movie alone... with all the mini series it becomes like Star Wars, watered down and a crappy product.