**KNOWN AW ISSUE**
Please be aware, there is a known issue with Saga badging when observing the AW map.
The team have found the source of the issue and will be updating with our next build.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
Options

Better Defender? Red Skull vs FAM

PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,982 ★★★★★
edited March 15 in General Discussion
So its obvious that FAM is the better dual threat, since Red Skull is noted for being used primarily on just Domino in attack, but who do you think is the better defender in BGs?

Better Defender? Red Skull vs FAM 112 votes

Red Skull
42%
ZENJinxesaxePIKESTAINGarloLmaoMysteriosxlbstverliebtAadhyVanNichj99Blackshadow0203mgj0630Ewell65SSS69RebarkMilan1405ItsClobberinTimeKirito_kunDfour24KazoraxDoctor_Strange19WinterFields 48 votes
Future Antman
57%
Heinz11Talha305RajazuffyRagnarok13TerraShaggyMredsoxpatsfan89Cyborg17Rayven5220OpandemonioSavageBreaker69spiderbites0196RookiieAyden_noah1Deaconcaptain_rogersVbnmeDementedAllyMaratoxErcarret 64 votes

Comments

• Options
    WinterFieldsWinterFields Posts: 718 ★★★★
    Red Skull
    Personally I like when my opponent places FAM as long as I don't get screwed in the draft. Both Diablo and HB make the fight so easy
  • Options
    captain_rogerscaptain_rogers Posts: 5,560 ★★★★★
    Future Antman

Personally I like when my opponent places FAM as long as I don't get screwed in the draft. Both Diablo and HB make the fight so easy

How both of them counter FAM? Do you just kill FAM before he becomes annoying?
  • Options
    WinterFieldsWinterFields Posts: 718 ★★★★
    Red Skull

How both of them counter FAM? Do you just kill FAM before he becomes annoying?
    Both use a parry-heavy strategy and dex Sp1. For Diablo, don't use any prefights so that your attack is higher. The poisons from heavy will take him out.

HB is a bit trickier but still not hard. HB hits hard and the shocks from heavy add up. Only use Sp1 if it would finish him immediately. If you can get to Sp3, that ends it. Sp2 into block can also set you up.

For reference though, my Diablo is 6* R5 ascended and HB is 7* R3
  • Options
    One thing is that Red Skull exists as a 7* now and yeah the dupe is nice for attack, but anything past sig 1 is fluff and I’m sure the 7* stats makeup for the unawakened
  • Options
    ItsClobberinTimeItsClobberinTime Posts: 4,015 ★★★★★
    Red Skull
    Personally I have more trouble with Red Skull than FAM. I've beaten FAM without counters before just by intercepting a lot, and also I have like five different counters in my deck. I've beaten Red Skull too but it's usually a longer fight and more health loss because of block damage so for me, Red Skull.
  • Options
    EdisonLawEdisonLaw Posts: 2,901 ★★★★
    Red Skull
    They are equal to me but I might say Red Skull is slightly more annoying
  • Options
    SkyfawSkyfaw Posts: 193 ★★
    Red Skull

FAM, Not even close. You can stun red skull, and can't hit his block, so intercepts are risky, That's it. You still can bait heavy and punish. And armor break champs completely shut him down. Herc galan venom and most other cosmic champs shut him down. Cgr will completely destroy him. Even without a counter you can kill him at yellow health.

FAM is a nightmare in defense and he is the most banned champ in my bg deck. He can also end fights as attacker in single sp2.

All those champs you mentioned also cook FAM. At least you’re able to parry FAM or hit his block. With Red Goat you can’t punish his specials because of auto block on sp1 or the unstoppable on his sp2. FAM is just a straight up fight when you compare the 2.
  • Options
    AadhyVanAadhyVan Posts: 62
    Red Skull
    That block damage some how gets me most of the time I try to intercept! Sigh!!
  • Options
    Jack2634Jack2634 Posts: 850 ★★★
    Red Skull
    it is a really close one. This meta only, definitely red skull, he is deadly with the node's bonus attack (basically dead if u get hit). Without it, he is still slightly better because despite his dogsh** base stats, the armor make him incredibly tanky, not to mention his specials is like mysterio 2.0
  • Options

Personally I have more trouble with Red Skull than FAM. I've beaten FAM without counters before just by intercepting a lot, and also I have like five different counters in my deck. I've beaten Red Skull too but it's usually a longer fight and more health loss because of block damage so for me, Red Skull.

Block damage from his basic attacks? Cause you can bait the sp1 to avoid sp2 block damage
  • Options
    ZENZEN Posts: 152
    Red Skull
    With current Meta, Red Skull, he’s annoying. Can’t hit on block, auto block on sp1…you get so much damage…
  • Options
    GrO_ot78GrO_ot78 Posts: 647 ★★★
    Red Skull
    Both good defenders, but a bad intercept vs RS and you will in best case scenario hit his block, and thats not good.

Angela is my fav counter for both, but i would rather face FAM than RS.
  • Options
    AcidBurn404AcidBurn404 Posts: 332 ★★
    Future Antman
    By a whole mile
  • Options
    Red Skull
    Polygon said:

Block damage from his basic attacks? Cause you can bait the sp1 to avoid sp2 block damage
    Not from specials, basic attacks cause you can't parry and intercepting is very risky. Also, the fury buffs from the meta.
  • Options
    Toproller89Toproller89 Posts: 631 ★★★
    Peni Parker is worse than either of these.
  • Options
    Rayven5220Rayven5220 Posts: 1,943 ★★★★★
    Future Antman

Peni Parker is worse than either of these.

Not a chance.....
  • Options
    Future Antman
    Skyfaw said:

FAM, Not even close. You can stun red skull, and can't hit his block, so intercepts are risky, That's it. You still can bait heavy and punish. And armor break champs completely shut him down. Herc galan venom and most other cosmic champs shut him down. Cgr will completely destroy him. Even without a counter you can kill him at yellow health.

FAM is a nightmare in defense and he is the most banned champ in my bg deck. He can also end fights as attacker in single sp2.

All those champs you mentioned also cook FAM. At least you’re able to parry FAM or hit his block. With Red Goat you can’t punish his specials because of auto block on sp1 or the unstoppable on his sp2. FAM is just a straight up fight when you compare the 2.
    Galan won't, galan is the worst possible counter to FAM.
    Venom isn't ideal either.

Red skull is pretty easy actually if you use a autoblock counter, which many cosmics are. Also armor breaks/Neutralize work against Red skull. They won't work against FAM.
  • Options
    Red Skull

Skyfaw said:

Red skull is pretty easy actually if you use a autoblock counter, which many cosmics are. Also armor breaks/Neutralize work against Red skull. They won't work against FAM.
    You can remove FAM's armor buffs simply by intercepting, you don't necessarily need a counter for FAM I've beaten him with Silk and KP before.
    Red Skull you can also beat without a counter but it's a longer fight.
  • Options
    Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Posts: 1,374 ★★★★
    edited March 16
    Future Antman
    I don’t find red skull that difficult personally. He can definitely be slow but that’s usually only without a good counter. As far as block damage goes if you can reparry and partial dex his sp2 the chip damage is very manageable. To me fam is much more threatening.

Also maybe this is common knowledge and I’m just slow, but shuri is a great red skull counter who you maybe wouldn’t think of. With her high block proficiency she mitigates most chip damage and guaranteed crits bypass his armor.
  • Options
    Future Antman

Skyfaw said:

You can remove FAM's armor buffs simply by intercepting, you don't necessarily need a counter for FAM I've beaten him with Silk and KP before.
    Agreed FAM Don't need a counter. Both red skull and FAM Can be played around.

But FAM is a lil rng defender like domino. You don't want him to get 2 or more armor ups, so you have to wait and play. Let's say you're using a champ like silk who have a lot of hits on her special. If Fam gets a armor up during her special, he has chance to get more, and now it's impossible to defeat him. He is very annoying even with a counter.

You can always heavy bait red skull. He don't deal high damage on block or something.
  • Options
    Future Antman

I don’t find red skull that difficult personally. He can definitely be slow but that’s usually only without a good counter. As far as block damage goes if you can reparry and partial dex his sp2 the chip damage is very manageable. To me fam is much more threatening.

Also maybe this is common knowledge and I’m just slow, but shuri is a great red skull who you maybe wouldn’t think of. With her high block proficiency she mitigates most chip damage and guaranteed crits bypass his armor.

Shuri does well on FAM. She still applies shocks bypassing glance and her shocks deal damage ignoring his Armor.
  • Options
    Nemesis_17Nemesis_17 Posts: 1,374 ★★★★
    Future Antman

Also maybe this is common knowledge and I’m just slow, but shuri is a great red skull who you maybe wouldn’t think of. With her high block proficiency she mitigates most chip damage and guaranteed crits bypass his armor.

Shuri does well on FAM. She still applies shocks bypassing glance and her shocks deal damage ignoring his Armor.
    I’ve never tried this matchup but noted for the future, appreciate it.
  • Options
    Red Skull

Skyfaw said:

You can nit pick attackers but it’s easier to counter FAM all you have to do is intercept and his shields come off. Which you could use basically almost anyone. You actually need a hard counter to red skull or it’s a long fight.
  • Options
    ZuroZuro Posts: 2,813 ★★★★★
    FAM is like Sassy the RNG aspect of things can easily mess up things. While with red skull you know what to expect everytime. Although without a proper counter Red Skull is probably a tad bit harder to fight
  • Options
    Red Skull

Skyfaw said:

Agreed FAM Don't need a counter. Both red skull and FAM Can be played around.

But FAM is a lil rng defender like domino. You don't want him to get 2 or more armor ups, so you have to wait and play. Let's say you're using a champ like silk who have a lot of hits on her special. If Fam gets a armor up during her special, he has chance to get more, and now it's impossible to defeat him. He is very annoying even with a counter.

You can always heavy bait red skull. He don't deal high damage on block or something.
    You can come back from that easily, I've even been able to remove all of them after he got to 5. If you can intercept l well, FAM is not a threat.

Yes you can, but if you're heavy baiting Red Skull and baiting sp1 without a counter it's a very very long fight.

Let's say you're fighting both and you don't have a counter for any of them. FAM you can play around his mechanics by intercepting. Red Skull you can't, you're forced to heavy bait and wait out auto block or unstoppable every single time not to mention the more armor ups he has the tankier he gets.
  • Options
    UltragamerUltragamer Posts: 468 ★★★
    Future Antman
    Fam shuts down certain champs while red skull shuts no one down
  • Options
    Red Skull

Fam shuts down certain champs while red skull shuts no one down

He shuts down Domino, FAM doesn't. FAM is better offensively but implying Red Skull is useless offensively is wild lol.
  • Options
    @WinterFields @ItsClobberinTime @Skyfaw @GrO_ot78 @ZEN @Jack2634 @AadhyVan

You’ve all made great points in favor of Red Skull, but would you r5 him over FAM given that red skull would mainly be used for Domino with FAM being way more versatile on attack?

Also is Red Skulls dupe noteworthy enough to make investing in the 6* worth it given the 7* being in the Titan Pool? It could help his ramp up but I’m not sure how many fights it would be useful in besides Domino. Not that hes a bad attacker just that usually there will be other better attackers for the matchup
  • Options
    Red Skull
    Polygon said:

@WinterFields @ItsClobberinTime @Skyfaw @GrO_ot78 @ZEN @Jack2634 @AadhyVan

You’ve all made great points in favor of Red Skull, but would you r5 him over FAM given that red skull would mainly be used for Domino with FAM being way more versatile on attack?

Also is Red Skulls dupe noteworthy enough to make investing in the 6* worth it given the 7* being in the Titan Pool? It could help his ramp up but I’m not sure how many fights it would be useful in besides Domino. Not that hes a bad attacker just that usually there will be other better attackers for the matchup

I would invest in FAM he just overall better. Red Goat is a 7* and he doesn’t need the dupe. Both be great additions to the BG deck either way.