Wait.. The Serpent is balanced but Kingpin needed a nerf??

123457»

Comments

• KLZKLZ Member Posts: 226 ★★
    And what about Galan's Sp2??!? I think it's bugged from day 1, why not fix this too??
  • Wu_Bangerz23Wu_Bangerz23 Member Posts: 993 ★★★
    Kabam is 100% squirming right now because Serpent is probably coming in the summer of suffering lol
    ...I can see them all freaking out at the office trying to change him out after they announced no nerf and the community lost it.....I haven't seen this much outrage since 12.0 and to be honest I dont really get it.....he's a pain but people blow it way out of proportion. I have a harder time in bg with at least 3-4 other champs.....maybe because nobody bans Kushala??? I dunno....stop banning him automatically and start learning how to counter him.....I'd rather fight him over a high ranked Onslaught 10 out 10 times
  • UnDEADGamerUnDEADGamer Member Posts: 57
    I'll agree that the timing wasn't right and it wasn't clearly announced which is scummy, but much like the moleman situation I think this is being blown way out of proportion. Realistically most weren't utilizing kp for his aar and I doubt many players stacked more than 1 black iso debuff as is. This will have very little I'd any effect of KPs viability. KP has always been praised for his debuff shrugging and just ability to be a good overall general questing champ with great defensive capability, this "nerf" doesn't change that in the slightest.
  • BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,008 ★★★★★
    edited September 3

I'll agree that the timing wasn't right and it wasn't clearly announced which is scummy, but much like the moleman situation I think this is being blown way out of proportion. Realistically most weren't utilizing kp for his aar and I doubt many players stacked more than 1 black iso debuff as is. This will have very little I'd any effect of KPs viability. KP has always been praised for his debuff shrugging and just ability to be a good overall general questing champ with great defensive capability, this "nerf" doesn't change that in the slightest.

I can’t speak for others but this was a utility that I did use from time to time, as the mixture of tankiness, shrugging and AAR reduction made it a convenient kit to use, especially in places like AW. I don’t think they’ve nerfed him into the ground by any means and he’ll still be an awesome champ, but they did reduce his effectiveness with 3 days notice after it being in the game for 3.5 years. I find that to be in poor taste regardless of how consequential it is, especially when this isn’t even the 1st, 2nd or 3rd champ where this cycle has occurred.

Then I can’t help but look at this outside of the Kingpin vacuum, where there are other bugs that have been reported to them and allowed exist for 20 months or so (Galan’s SP2), or AI that skips frames and can do things players can’t. Also double medium reparry being transformed into any hit can be reparried now, going into month 3 of that nonsense…how is finding bugs like this and fixing it an item worth addressing when looking at these other issues?

And then there’s this Serpent news… where there are people who understand the outrage and people who just don’t seem to get it or they don’t want their investment impacted. I’d suggest those people go read that thread for all the details but it’s that no other defender trivializes skilled gameplay the way he does. There’s no reward for sharp intercepting, using lights or strategic knockdowns. You simply eat damage and pray for compliant AI throwing specials on arguably the most tanky damage resistant kit in the game. How is that balanced? The only strategy in beating him is “bring a counter” and where he is most dominant, battlegrounds, is a mode where getting a counter is pure RNG… then if you do get a counter, there’s the additional nodes to consider that may impact your counter dramatically causing you to lose anyways.
  • FrydayFryday Member Posts: 955 ★★★★
    Exactly like @BigBlueOx and many other say.

Did this nerf/fix/change really need to done?

King Pin have been like that for 3 5 years, that how every know his as, and Kabam "fix" him within 24hrs of realising it as a bug. If Kabam didn't know it for 3.5 years, how did they expect players to know it?

While at the same time bug like Galan, Parry into Block, Def stand back when Attacker charge heavy and many more other that is still not being fix.

Really do hope Kabam take more consideration and review in these kind of thing before taking these kind of action.

It doesn't help build confidence and trust with the community.

Also this is the other thread @BigBlueOx was referring to, just in case anyone miss it.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/375056/serpent-really-isn-t-getting-rebalanced/p25

• BigBlueOxBigBlueOx Member Posts: 2,008 ★★★★★
    Well I guess we can add Taskmaster to the list of champs more worthy of a “balancing” than Serpent…

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/375752/taskmaster-is-no-longer-usable-against-havok
  • TheshadowTheshadow Member Posts: 146
    I frequently use kingpin for attuma, hulkling, korg, scorp, photon and recently against snake as kp can shutdown his death immunity with his AAR.

So I guess they noticed this big after many players started using kp for serpent and succeeded in completely shutting down serpent.

You won't believe how helpful the AAR was against attuma, korg and even hulkling.

Completely shut down attuma thorn damage, shutdown hulkling buff gain and shutdown korg rockstack damage. I use him constantly against these matchups.

As there is no mention that the AAR would stack there is also no mention that it wouldn't stack. So of course I thought it was being the way it was intended. I actually forgot about the -50% attack rating from his iso debuff.

Does it affect me using kp absolutely not. Does his AAR affect the game, YES when he is released as a 7*.

Just imagine an UNAWAKENED 7* KP destroying R3 SERPENT in BG in 55 sec.

So you can consider it an buff for serpent. He escaped from the hands of our BELLY BUMP.
  • SquidopusSquidopus Member Posts: 250 ★★★
    Theshadow said:

I frequently use kingpin for attuma, hulkling, korg, scorp, photon and recently against snake as kp can shutdown his death immunity with his AAR.

So I guess they noticed this big after many players started using kp for serpent and succeeded in completely shutting down serpent.

You won't believe how helpful the AAR was against attuma, korg and even hulkling.

Completely shut down attuma thorn damage, shutdown hulkling buff gain and shutdown korg rockstack damage. I use him constantly against these matchups.

As there is no mention that the AAR would stack there is also no mention that it wouldn't stack. So of course I thought it was being the way it was intended. I actually forgot about the -50% attack rating from his iso debuff.

Does it affect me using kp absolutely not. Does his AAR affect the game, YES when he is released as a 7*.

Just imagine an UNAWAKENED 7* KP destroying R3 SERPENT in BG in 55 sec.

So you can consider it an buff for serpent. He escaped from the hands of our BELLY BUMP.

Uh all the other stuff is valid use cases for Kingpin’s DAAR, but I’m confused why you’re suggesting that you regularly used his degen to shut down Attuma; the DAAR would be reversed and actually cause you to take MORE thorns damage (the attack reduction doesn’t help either because Attuma’s thorns damage scales off base attack only). Attuma is absolutely a matchup where you just spam sp2 like usual.
  • EdisonLawEdisonLaw Member Posts: 6,054 ★★★★★
    BigBlueOx said:

Well I guess we can add Taskmaster to the list of champs more worthy of a “balancing” than Serpent…

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/375752/taskmaster-is-no-longer-usable-against-havok

Well there is a difference. Many people use Kingpin. Nobody uses Taskmaster
  • NojokejaymNojokejaym Member Posts: 4,102 ★★★★★

Kabam is 100% squirming right now because Serpent is probably coming in the summer of suffering lol
    ...I can see them all freaking out at the office trying to change him out after they announced no nerf and the community lost it.....I haven't seen this much outrage since 12.0 and to be honest I dont really get it.....he's a pain but people blow it way out of proportion. I have a harder time in bg with at least 3-4 other champs.....maybe because nobody bans Kushala??? I dunno....stop banning him automatically and start learning how to counter him.....I'd rather fight him over a high ranked Onslaught 10 out 10 times

If he’s in SOS he’ll be unawakened