**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Apple Now Requires Game Developers to disclose odds on "Loot Boxes" [MERGED THREADS]

Comments

• Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,677 Guardian
    I understand its a company, I understand the purpose is to profit....

but throwing an offer in your face, (a BAD offer) every time you open a crystal, is just stupid. And trying to hide HOW BAD that offer is, is even stupider.

I'm not sure what your definition of "bad offer" is, but by most people's definition of a good offer, which is an offer that people vote is good with their wallets by buying it, Kabam tends to offer a lot of good offers.

An F2P game can squeeze players into buying offers that they would otherwise never buy by simply designing the game so that progress is impossible without spending tons of money. But Brian Grant's account is proof that over long periods of time a player that spends no money can literally do all the content in the game and achieve the highest levels of progress the game allows, and Seatin's F2P whalemilker account is proof that a player that spends no money and starts basically now can with very reasonable amounts of game play very quickly ascend to the upper levels of progress and game play without any money gating their progress. That's a priori proof that MCOC is not an F2P game that locks progress behind money: everyone who spends does so out of impatience, not necessity.

Given that purchases are voluntary in that sense, and high volume based on the amount of money Kabam makes, their offers are actually pretty good overall. And while I personally think many offers are more expensive than I would be comfortable designing, that's a personal preference. I'm being outvoted by the players that buy them and fund the development of this game.

You don't just accidentally make a game that is this popular for this long. Kabam is many things, and not all of them good, but stupid business operators they are not.
  • Options
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    I understand its a company, I understand the purpose is to profit....

but throwing an offer in your face, (a BAD offer) every time you open a crystal, is just stupid. And trying to hide HOW BAD that offer is, is even stupider.

I'm not sure what your definition of "bad offer" is, but by most people's definition of a good offer, which is an offer that people vote is good with their wallets by buying it, Kabam tends to offer a lot of good offers.

An F2P game can squeeze players into buying offers that they would otherwise never buy by simply designing the game so that progress is impossible without spending tons of money. But Brian Grant's account is proof that over long periods of time a player that spends no money can literally do all the content in the game and achieve the highest levels of progress the game allows, and Seatin's F2P whalemilker account is proof that a player that spends no money and starts basically now can with very reasonable amounts of game play very quickly ascend to the upper levels of progress and game play without any money gating their progress. That's a priori proof that MCOC is not an F2P game that locks progress behind money: everyone who spends does so out of impatience, not necessity.

Given that purchases are voluntary in that sense, and high volume based on the amount of money Kabam makes, their offers are actually pretty good overall. And while I personally think many offers are more expensive than I would be comfortable designing, that's a personal preference. I'm being outvoted by the players that buy them and fund the development of this game.

You don't just accidentally make a game that is this popular for this long. Kabam is many things, and not all of them good, but stupid business operators they are not.

I never said you can't progress without buying things with your money.

Nor did I claim you did. What you said was that offering "bad offers" to players was stupid, but even you acknowledge that offers bad for some are good for others, so how can those bad offers be stupid, when they are good offers for others.

Genuinely stupid offers would be offers bad for everyone, and bad for everyone offers are generally not purchased at all, making them stupid because Kabam doesn't make money on them. The one exception: when people buy them because they literally have no choice if they want to progress in the game. But as this game is not that kind of game, that exception doesn't exist here.
  • Options
    Zuko_ILCZuko_ILC Posts: 1,504 ★★★★★
    With 17.0's update does this mean that they are going to release drop rates?
  • Options
    Zuko_ILC wrote: »

It's not confirmed at all, but it seems likely.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,247 ★★★★★
    Nothing in the Notes. We will find out tomorrow.
  • Options
    Zuko_ILC wrote: »

It seems likely we will get something, since the most reasonable read of the guidelines says certain drop rates must be published for apps to be approved, and other game companies have interpreted that guideline in that way, and Netmarble itself has interpreted the guidelines in roughly that way for a different game (Netmarble owns Kabam).

*What* we are likely to get is another story. Even the most generous read of the guidelines doesn't mandate all lootboxes odds need to be published. Only loot boxes "purchaseable" with cash or (by most people's interpretation) in-game currency that proxies for cash are covered by the guideline. So the drop odds for four star chests in game maps is unlikely to be covered, because we have no way to buy those in any way. My guess is that crystals directly purchaseable with units is covered by the requirement, as is any crystal that is directly offered for in-app purchase (meaning: with cash using the app store in-app purchasing mechanism).

There is a lot of potential grey area here, and this is something that could even evolve over time as Apple decides what is and is not covered. And there are bound to be game companies that try to push the envelope, although we are not likely to see the results of that because the net result of pushing the envelope and losing to Apple is your app doesn't get published or updated until you capitulate to their terms. Only insiders to those games and very observant players are likely to detect such a delay.

Short version is we are likely to get something, that something is not likely to be the odds of all crystals, and this situation could change over time. We will start to see the shape of things soon enough.
  • Options
    Zuko_ILCZuko_ILC Posts: 1,504 ★★★★★
    Imagine how much more fun this game would be if drop rates increased. Most of us already play this nearly non-stop because we enjoy the features but the least enjoyable part is the extremely low drop rates. I know many people that have stopped spending completely because of it. Spending $1500 for the chance for Blade with a GMC and not getting him (Someone I know) is kinda crazy. He quit the game after that sadly.
  • Options
    LiquidButtLiquidButt Posts: 135
    edited January 2018
    2StarKing wrote: »
    This requirement by apple does nothing for us. There are conditions for every crystal opening to attain the champ. Kabam can just publish the most favorable drop rate based on meeting all the conditions. For example if I meet all the conditions, I get a 30% chance to get the champ. If I meet none of the conditions I get a 2% chance to get the champ. Apple will allow the publishing of 30% chance. Knowing the drop rate is meaningless. We need to know the criteria to get favorable drop rate.

Additionally, look at what Kabam has done with featured crystal. There are so many champs in game now. They could just say equal chance for all, which still leads to unfavorable drop rate for champ you want.

You are right in alot of those points but its not about drop rates per say....its about not skirting the rules of the Apple store and treating the player base with a little decency. Kabam isnt above the rules and should comply out of respect to a very dedicated and passionate fan base they are lucky to have ::ahem MARVEL UNIVERSE ::ahem
  • Options
    LiquidButt wrote: »
    This requirement by apple does nothing for us. There are conditions for every crystal opening to attain the champ. Kabam can just publish the most favorable drop rate based on meeting all the conditions. For example if I meet all the conditions, I get a 30% chance to get the champ. If I meet none of the conditions I get a 2% chance to get the champ. Apple will allow the publishing of 30% chance. Knowing the drop rate is meaningless. We need to know the criteria to get favorable drop rate.

Additionally, look at what Kabam has done with featured crystal. There are so many champs in game now. They could just say equal chance for all, which still leads to unfavorable drop rate for champ you want.

You are right in alot of those points but its not about drop rates per say....its about not skirting the rules of the Apple store and treating the player base with a little decency. Kabam isnt above the rules and should comply out of respect to a very dedicated and passionate fan base they are lucky to have ::ahem MARVEL UNIVERSE ::ahem

Actually, all those points are essentially wrong. There are no weird crystal conditions as the poster claims: that's just player conspiracy conjectures with no facts to support them. If lootbox transparency does anything good in this game, I hope it reduces the number of people who continue to assert this to a manageable level. We don't stop every physics discussion to reprove the Earth is round for the benefit of the flat-earthers. At some point and I hope it is sooner than later I hope we can simply acknowledge that crystal conspiracy nuts exist, but are not relevant to the conversation about crystal drop rates.
  • Options
    ... We don't stop every physics discussion to reprove the Earth is round for the benefit of the flat-earthers. At some point and I hope it is sooner than later I hope we can simply acknowledge that crystal conspiracy nuts exist, but are not relevant to the conversation about crystal drop rates.

I said something similar earlier, but this is a much cleaner way of saying it.

I can't believe how hard I've eyerolled at people in Line chats with their Kabam rumors. And I've actually had someone troll groups with flat earther beliefs, which weren't anywhere near as annoying.
  • Options
    MattScottMattScott Posts: 587 ★★
    $10 says we don’t see any drop rates at all published tomorrow.
  • Options
    LiquidButtLiquidButt Posts: 135

Actually, all those points are essentially wrong. There are no weird crystal conditions as the poster claims: that's just player conspiracy conjectures with no facts to support them. If lootbox transparency does anything good in this game, I hope it reduces the number of people who continue to assert this to a manageable level. We don't stop every physics discussion to reprove the Earth is round for the benefit of the flat-earthers. At some point and I hope it is sooner than later I hope we can simply acknowledge that crystal conspiracy nuts exist, but are not relevant to the conversation about crystal drop rates.

Youre in the academia industry arent you? Man that would explain so much
  • Options

Youre in the academia industry arent you? Man that would explain so much

I don't know what that would explain, but no, I'm not anywhere remotely in professional academia. I'm technically an IT consultant, but I don't think that description would give you the right impression either.
  • Options
    phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,685 ★★★★★
    edited January 2018
    MattScott wrote: »

I'm not sure if that is considered gambling or a gamble and without drop rates I can't know for sure whether I should take up this offer.

Do you have an App available for download and does it comply with Apple's policy, if you don't want to release information I know a few people who think they have a firm grasp of the law, a few that have no idea and a couple of really annoying people who I am sure spent high school on the debating team thinking that words would make them popular and attempted to successfully argue that the sky is not blue, you just think it is because blue is popular and that red is just as good.

I'll let you choose but I can't give you exact numbers on who you end up with, oh wait, is that gambling too?

• Options
    ThatweirdguyThatweirdguy Posts: 675 ★★★
    edited January 2018
    Well I am both impressed and disappointed that Kabam found a way to get around revealing drop rates. When I am wrong, I admit I am wrong. I stand corrected I thought for sure Apple would force them to reveal drop rates with this update. I give Kabam credit for finding a way to comply with this rule without revealing drop rates.
  • Options
    Well I am both impressed and disappointed that Kabam found a way to get around revealing drop rates. When I am wrong, I admit I am wrong. I stand corrected I thought for sure Apple would force them to reveal drop rates with this update. I give Kabam credit for finding a way to comply with this rule without revealing drop rates.

Kabam is slow, so I won't assume they managed to escape the lootbox clause until the end of the day. After that, the odds rise significantly that Kabam negotiated a way around the lootbox clause at least for now, or that Apple isn't really seriously enforcing that clause and wants to see how many companies comply voluntarily before they start rejecting apps. The clause has only been in the guidelines doc for about a month and a half and only publicly well known for about a month, so Apple might be giving companies some unspecified grace period to comply.
  • Options
    ThatweirdguyThatweirdguy Posts: 675 ★★★

Kabam is slow, so I won't assume they managed to escape the lootbox clause until the end of the day. After that, the odds rise significantly that Kabam negotiated a way around the lootbox clause at least for now, or that Apple isn't really seriously enforcing that clause and wants to see how many companies comply voluntarily before they start rejecting apps. The clause has only been in the guidelines doc for about a month and a half and only publicly well known for about a month, so Apple might be giving companies some unspecified grace period to comply.

It is possible that you are correct. But the fact that GMC's are there without drop rates and that Future Fight released their rates makes me lose hope.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    A big middle finger to everyone asking for drop rates.

“Give us drop rates”
    Kabam: here ya go, apple exclusive!
    x7tlhx98z51k.jpeg

• Options
    MattScottMattScott Posts: 587 ★★
    MattScott wrote: »

There ya go.
  • Options
    Also to note, even if there's only been a month of notification to companies for compliance, these rates are already embded in their code. Not too hard to copy and paste. Only reason they would have to be late in providing odds is because the pull rates ARE tied to activity/spending., or a variable identifier that loads each time you open the game. It is also possible that it is a legitimate RNG variable build that depends on each time you load the game. There could be so many variables built into the game for each part of the game, so it makes it harder to decipher and provide definitive odds/rates on lott box pulls.
  • Options
    BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★
    Also to note, even if there's only been a month of notification to companies for compliance, these rates are already embded in their code. Not too hard to copy and paste. Only reason they would have to be late in providing odds is because the pull rates ARE tied to activity/spending., or a variable identifier that loads each time you open the game. It is also possible that it is a legitimate RNG variable build that depends on each time you load the game. There could be so many variables built into the game for each part of the game, so it makes it harder to decipher and provide definitive odds/rates on lott box pulls.

Or it’s not mandatory to disclose them
  • Options
    jaylerdjaylerd Posts: 113
    Only reason they would have to be late in providing odds is because the pull rates ARE tied to activity/spending.

They are, Kabam filed for a patent on it. If you spend a lot, you get good rewards. If you stop spending, you'll get a good reward to entice you back into spending.

• Options
    jaylerd wrote: »
    Only reason they would have to be late in providing odds is because the pull rates ARE tied to activity/spending.

They are, Kabam filed for a patent on it. If you spend a lot, you get good rewards. If you stop spending, you'll get a good reward to entice you back into spending.

Just because Kabam filed a patent on it, doesn't mean they are using it. But if you believe that because they filed a patent on something they have to be using it, then that patent explicitly states as a part of the patent that the invention specified requires a mechanism for informing the player about the mechanisms that improve their odds, to encourage the player to do those things and thereby make those loot boxes more valuable. The fact that Kabam is not doing that proves beyond all doubt that they are not using the patent in question.