**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

Multiple-version champions - inflation growing strong in MCOC

Comments

• ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    Citing the spidey case, I think it still makes sense as there are actually multi-universe in comic world stories. In contrast, the MCU’s cap marvel outfit is pretty resemble to the comic outlook (and Kabam’s version) and thus it doesn’t make sense to create new one. Otherwise shall we create a MCU’s version of Thanos?

For Cap Marvel case in particular, it’s obviously a money grab decision as they can’t earn more if simply buff the existing cap marvel. Thus I agreed with OP’s points.

Personally, I think many players would love to “collect” series-themed champ like Ironman mark 1 to 50....so Kabam can create 50 Ironmen, yet I know it’s quite impossible as the game would become Contest of Ironmen. And I hope they won’t make another endgame CA/IW with white quantum realm suits.
  • Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    edited February 2019
    Kabam's Contest of (B-list & alternate) Champions...

It is rather funny that almost all of the variants are better than their OG counterparts (Thor being the exception but he's still outdated in the current meta). We come here because we love the OG Marvel universe, we stay to collect their 3rd/4th/etc iterations.

IMO it's a shame that the obscure are better champs in the game. In the Comic book world, the "main" characters are always leading the way and triumphing. In the game, you have the unknown leaving the main champs in the dust. I mean honestly, how many people knew about Domino, Hyperion, Medusa, Corvus, Sentry/Void, Voodoo, Magik before the game added them? And the only way the OG champs can be better is because they have been re-released as variants.

Why is Sabretooth better than Wolverine?
    Why is Spiderman worthless without his Stark suit?
    Phoenix is the one of, if not THE strongest mutant in the whole Xman universe, but here she has a little fire flick from her fingertips and is absolutely wrecked by a kid whose only mutation is that he grew wings.

But as has been posted a multitude of times in many threads in the forums, this is Kabam's world and they write the rule book...
  • DJRipsterDJRipster Posts: 169
    I've never been a fan of re-releasing characters with new skins... I argued that Stark Spidey was at least a new version of Peter

Captain America IW was also excusable in his "Nomad" persona

But Cap Marvel makes zero sense... You already have an exact replica who at one point even had the same hair style... Why is this one different? New Origin?

There was no reason to release a new one, a good company would have used this opportunity to refresh the existing one, call the ones who already had her lucky and sold crystals for those who didn't... Obviously you've handed over way too many of the OG Cap Marvel because you didn't consider her an OP champ... Now you want to sell more crystals so you release a new one...
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,766 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Reference wrote: »
    For Cap Marvel case in particular, it’s obviously a money grab decision as they can’t earn more if simply buff the existing cap marvel.

It is incredibly bizarre to me to call releasing a champion variant a "money grab decision" when that's the actual business MCOC is in. New champions are the product they make, fighting is the playground we use them in. Making new champions and new variations of champions is a money grab in literally the same sense a band making a new song is a money grab. That's what they do.

or a toy company releasing sixteen versions of Batman with different gimmick accessories and costumes. Or a toy company releasing six different versions of the same six characters from their military themed toy-line because they're the ones in the movie.
  • belli300belli300 Posts: 704 ★★★
    Seriously this was An extremely well put post and I hope this is passed along to the development team and seriously mulled over. I’m way past tired of reskins
  • ON12355ON12355 Posts: 144 ★★
    For Cap Marvel case in particular, it’s obviously a money grab decision as they can’t earn more if simply buff the existing cap marvel.

It is incredibly bizarre to me to call releasing a champion variant a "money grab decision" when that's the actual business MCOC is in. New champions are the product they make, fighting is the playground we use them in. Making new champions and new variations of champions is a money grab in literally the same sense a band making a new song is a money grab. That's what they do.

I see you missed the point here ( not sure if on purpose ) and you are focusing on things out of context.

Now again - noone is criticizing that they release new champion. But it is obviously big difference (that you chose to ignore) if that new champion is brand new character or just reskin of already existing. And in context of the game, there is also slight difference if we are talking about new version of champion whose old version is actually good (eg Thor) or if we are talking champion who has one (or possibly several) OG version in MCOC which is outdated or below average (which is the case for almost every new reskins created in last years - Starky, IMIW, CAIW, Venom the Duck). It seems quite convenient that Kabam always replace multiple mediocre champions with one superior version of themselves with no intention to ever upgrade those old OG characters.

And that's the case we are talking here regarding Cpt.Marvel - it's not a bad thing new champion is released, it's a bad thing 1 champion is released with message that other 2-3 champions are being forgotten forever. This is making every crystal in general less valuable - we will get 1 good champion added, but we are marking 2-3 champions as wasted pulls with no future.
  • RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    I agree with the synergy statement. The best way to revamp old champs is to improve their synergy builds, add some of the new characters to the old characters synergy. Instead they have just tacked old champs onto the new ones synergy list, often with a standard buff as opposed to some of the more recent and elaborate "single champ" targeted buffs they seem to add for the newer synergy partners. Just adding different versions isn't an acceptable solution to outdated champs.
  • Sundance_2099Sundance_2099 Posts: 2,766 ★★★★★
    belli300 wrote: »
    Seriously this was An extremely well put post and I hope this is passed along to the development team and seriously mulled over. I’m way past tired of reskins

they haven't done a reskin in years. OML is different to Wolverine. Sparky is different to Classic Spidey. TR is different to OG. IW Cap and IM are very different to the OGs, or their reskins. CW Black Panther is different to the original. HR is different to OG or Joe Fixit.

given the fact the MCU!Carol seems to have persistent charges, she'll be different to OG Carol.

the fact they've demonstrably moved from straight up reskins is also probably why we've never got the Marvel Now Dr Strange, Ultimate Scarlet Witch, Hulkbuster 2.0 and 'new' Daredevil that were reportedly around or announced at different times.
  • IKONIKON Posts: 1,334 ★★★★★
    It is important to remember that straight reskins with same abilities aren't done anymore, and more importantly, new champs directly from movies are a promotional tool.

I'd wager that movie champs being added to the game aren't as much a developer choice as you might like, and more likely a orders from headquarters to promote the films.
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    edited February 2019
    ON12355 wrote: »

I see you missed the point here ( not sure if on purpose ) and you are focusing on things out of context.

Now again - noone is criticizing that they release new champion. But it is obviously big difference (that you chose to ignore) if that new champion is brand new character or just reskin of already existing. And in context of the game, there is also slight difference if we are talking about new version of champion whose old version is actually good (eg Thor) or if we are talking champion who has one (or possibly several) OG version in MCOC which is outdated or below average (which is the case for almost every new reskins created in last years - Starky, IMIW, CAIW, Venom the Duck). It seems quite convenient that Kabam always replace multiple mediocre champions with one superior version of themselves with no intention to ever upgrade those old OG characters.

And that's the case we are talking here regarding Cpt.Marvel - it's not a bad thing new champion is released, it's a bad thing 1 champion is released with message that other 2-3 champions are being forgotten forever. This is making every crystal in general less valuable - we will get 1 good champion added, but we are marking 2-3 champions as wasted pulls with no future.

Exactly, some people just can’t read thing entirely.
  • KalantakKalantak Posts: 1,291 ★★★★
    Same exact abilities that they have given to she-hulk would have worked on old captain marvel so should have added CM in beta ,release her new version with new update and have Fury and male Mar-vell,korath or what ever the jude law's character is! Adding another cM and people spending $100k to get her is plain dumb ! Same for Cap Iw and IMiw! Should have just reworked both cap and og Im!! Pla stop adding only skins! Last 4 years or so has enough of double champs with almost same animations,same specials,and some with even same abilities !! I will not spend a single unit on CM crystal! Gives me an opportunity to save up units fo fury atleast
  • KickNatherinaKickNatherina Posts: 157
    Can we be fair and say that there is no confirmation on this movie captain marvel making it to the game? It hasn’t been confirmed... my guess next month will either be Korath, Mar-Vell and/or super skrull.

Don’t start a firestorm before we have any confirmation on what is happening.
  • Vdh2008Vdh2008 Posts: 966 ★★★★
    Can we be fair and say that there is no confirmation on this movie captain marvel making it to the game? It hasn’t been confirmed... my guess next month will either be Korath, Mar-Vell and/or super skrull.

Don’t start a firestorm before we have any confirmation on what is happening.

It's all but confirmed...

New splash screens with Nick Fury and MCU Cap Marvel are in the wild. We've seen official gameplay videos of Cap M as well.

Also, Marvel Games already has the promotional material out there. FF has added her costume, etc.

You will see Cap M for sure next month, or I'll eat my hat. nick Fury is the likely 2nd champ.
  • TheHeroDeservedTheHeroDeserved Posts: 733 ★★★
    I hope we see another Hulkbuster EndGame edition soon!
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,480 ★★★★★
    edited February 2019

More like bands making remixes of the same songs over and over. People eventually get tired of that in music too.

Dr. Zola

Edit: Rats! Just saw @JChanceH9 beat me to the punch.
  • imaginejimimaginejim Posts: 333 ★★
    I think it would be very interesting for everyone to go listen to Gabriel on the UMCOC Podcast. He talks a lot about earlier character releases and has vowed that they will never have reskins of current characters again (like a lot of the champions listed in this thread) or reuse move sets (like a lot of the champions listed in this thread). He also stated that they played around with the idea of costumes or skins, but scrapped that. That is a reason why you may have seen PNG's of black suit Daredevil, Dr. Strange Marvel Now, etc., but they never came into the contest.

Almost all of the complained about champions (Magneto's, Cyclops', Captain Marvel/Ms. Marvel, Colossus, Captain America's, etc.) were from the early days of the game. The release of the new versions of existing characters (Thor Ragnarok, Captain America Infinity War, Iron Man Infinity War, Spider-Man Stark Enhanced) have all been movie tie-ins. I'm going to "guess" and say that the inclusion of these as new characters wasn't all just Kabam's idea. It is most likely a marketing mandate from Marvel to get these new characters into games to help build the hype for the movies. That hype wouldn't be built from updating existing characters already in the game.

Take a look at the Marvel Games video they sent out on Twitter. This new version of Captain Marvel is coming to all of the mobile games in time for the movie.

I am happy that they are going back and looking at older characters and revamping them, but for anyone that has run a business, assigning developers to work on character revamps that are already in the game and that most people have and will not bring in additional revenue is not a great allocation of dev time. The fact that they ARE doing it, even slowly, shows that they are listening to the fans and working on improving the champs when they can. Full re-works can take a while, which is why I am sure we have only had 6. But they do throw in some tweaks here and there that help too (i.e. Juggernaut). Synergies is another one. I hope we get some good synergy buffs for the existing ones (and we don't have a fail of synergies like Havok / Cyclops...…)

Just my 2 cents.
  • ShrimkinsShrimkins Posts: 1,479 ★★★★
    DrZola wrote: »

More like bands making remixes of the same songs over and over. People eventually get tired of that in music too.

Dr. Zola

Except it's not the same song. The new champs aren't recycled versions of the old ones. They are completely new with new abilities and fighting styles. The only thing they have in common are their names.

Kabam would be stupid to not release champs that follow the movies. That's a large part of the draw of the game.
  • DLLMDLLM Posts: 21
    This post will be closed and removed because kabam always think hurting their revenue is non constructive comments.
  • IKONIKON Posts: 1,334 ★★★★★
    td7ok6iobv9q.jpg

This is why we're getting a new captain marvel. It just is what it is.
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,480 ★★★★★
    edited February 2019
    Shrimkins wrote: »

Dr. Zola

Except it's not the same song. The new champs aren't recycled versions of the old ones. They are completely new with new abilities and fighting styles. The only thing they have in common are their names.

Kabam would be stupid to not release champs that follow the movies. That's a large part of the draw of the game.

So...Ms. Marvel and CM (OG) aren’t the same song (with an ever-so-light-show-some-thigh remix)? And sure...by all outward appearances, the new Carol has some more swoopy moves and persistent charges. But it’s not like the new version shoots webs or carries sai blades. She’s Captain Marvel with some new state of the game powers and the old CMs and Ms.M’s are...just old.

I would argue that a large part of the draw of the game is getting/using useful Champs. That shouldn’t be focused around new releases that counter newly released nodes and champs. It’s just a different version of releasing the same champs with one more star on their profile. I realize that’s a way to make money, but let’s not get too giddy about it being what “draws” people to the game.

Dr. Zola

Dr. Zola

So...Ms. Marvel and CM (OG) aren’t the same song (with an ever-so-light-show-some-thigh remix)? And sure...by all outward appearances, the new Carol has some more swoopy moves and persistent charges. But it’s not like the new version shoots webs or carries sai blades. She’s Captain Marvel with some new state of the game powers and the old CMs and Ms.M’s are...just old.

I would argue that a large part of the draw of the game is getting/using useful Champs. That shouldn’t be focused around new releases that counter newly released nodes and champs. It’s just a different version of releasing the same champs with one more star on their profile. I realize that’s a way to make money, but let’s not get too giddy about it being what “draws” people to the game.

Dr. Zola

Ms. Marvel and CM (OG) are the same. No debate there.

But IMIW and regular IM are not the same. Not anything close. Same with CapIW and OG cap. Not the same champ.

I agree the old reskins are bad. Probably should have never been in the game like that, but the new champs are completely different.

Let's not kid ourselves here, the marvel brand has become popular because of the movies. Not making champs depicted in the most recent movies would be a giant mistake.
  • JChanceH9JChanceH9 Posts: 764 ★★★
    edited February 2019

They can rework old champs and still introduce new champs. They didn’t rerelease Doctor Strange or Ant Man when their movies dropped, and Kabam didn’t go bankrupt. Instead they introduced Ghost, Wasp, etc, which were really positive additions to the game. MCU offers plenty of options for Kabam to release champs that follow the movies without saturating the game with multiple versions of the same character, especially when the prior iterations need some TLC. Release Nick Fury/Skrull with a Captain Marvel rework if they must do something with her.
  • MrBanksMrBanks Posts: 950 ★★★
    Staff should see this
    JChanceH9 wrote: »

They can rework old champs and still introduce new champs. They didn’t rerelease Doctor Strange or Ant Man when their movies dropped, and Kabam didn’t go bankrupt. Instead they introduced Ghost, Wasp, etc, which were really positive additions to the game. MCU offers plenty of options for Kabam to release champs that follow the movies without saturating the game with multiple versions of the same character, especially when the prior iterations need some TLC. Release Nick Fury/Skrull with a Captain Marvel rework if they must do something with her.

I agree they can, and should still rework old champs, but that's a separate issue.

They did release AM with the original movie release. In fact they had an entire event surrounding it with pym canisters, ect.

They didn't rework DS for his movie probably because he was already broken when his movie released. Instead they came out with Dormammu at that time.

Would I love a CM rework? Yes of course, but doing that instead of creating a new character with looks and animations from the movies would be a huge business mistake by kabam.
  • AnnatarAnnatar Posts: 51
    edited February 2019
    Iron Fists was forgotten even in this thread about identical champions.
    F.
  • TeoskiTeoski Posts: 8
    ON12355 wrote: »
    So I just saw that new Cpt. Marvel is basically confirmed as new character to be add in next month. And I can't help but notice there is something wrong about that.

So we already have 3 versions of Cpt.Marvel original character. Even if I drop Kamala, there is still 2 versions which are the exact same character with almost exact same abilities, only dressed differently. All 3 versions are now in MCOC for a long time, meaning probably majority of people have them, at least one of them. And let's be honest, they are all VERY mediocre champions, Kamala is actually considered one of the most disappointing (not saying worst) champions of all time.
    And yet, we are getting 4th version. Why, I ask? Why do we need 3th version of THE SAME EXACT CHARACTER dressed differently (dropping Kamala again) ? This seems to me like such a betrayal on both Cpt. Marvel and Ms. Marvel. Kabam, you are creating new, very probably much better version (or at least modern, up-to-date and adapted on current state of game ->none of those things we can say about old versions) of the same Marvel character, this time - wait for it - with loose hair! We really are craving for all those new hairstyles! Sorry about the sarcams but do you even get the point? Are you aware that only message you sent out is "We don't care about all the old Cpt.Marvels, no buff is coming, we created new one instead" ?

ohdcvanzn632.jpg

Now seriously, this is becoming very tedious and boring issue in the contest. Kabam is replicating the same champions, new versions are always far better (which would be understandable) with old ones left to rot in inventory forever with no chance to be buffed in the future.
    And this is not the first time it's gonna happen, remember Spider-man anyone? We had Spidey classic. We had Spidey symbiote. We had Miles Morales. For years, those champs are actually unusable for any progress-content except AW defense (maybe except very short period of time when Symbiote was considered good. Very short.) So what did Kabam do? They gave us Starky. And don't get me wrong, I do love him, he is arguably on of the best champs in the game. But we can't ignore the fact that him being created practically doomed all of those 3 other Spider-mans to eternal trash. Cpt. Amreica IW sent both other Captains to vacation-again no chance for them to get better. Iron man IW - same case, classic IM, superior IM, Iron Patriot, they are identical. None of them will be buffed probably cause we have IMIW. Now I'm afraid the same is gonna happen with Cpt. Marvel.
    As I mentioned, what I don't like the most about all this is the message Kabam is sending out - we are not gonna buff your stored champions, we may create some superior version in the future, but those you already have will always be as they are - useless. Wasted pulls.

With each champion added to crystal pool, chance to get some specific champion you want (just because you simply love the Marvel character which is probably the reason we are all playing this game, isn't it?) is getting smaller. Fact, that we have 4 versionsof for example Spider-man and only 1 on them is actually good and desired meaning you have already very small chance to pull Spider-man character and even if you do pulll him, only 25% chance that you will be able to actually use him in the game.

Now we have Daredevil twins. Magneto twins. Cyclops twins. Cpt. Colossus twins. Cpt. America - 3 versions. Iron man - 4 versions. Spidey - 4 versions. Captain Marvel...?
    The most of all above champions (except CAIW,IMIW and Starky - who again have very clearly demonstrated best versions of themselves, which is always also the newest version of themselves, leaving others bite a dust) are basically different outfit copies of the exact same character. And we can see very clear on examples of Cpt. America, Iron man and Spider-man what happens to the old versions, when superior comes out. Nothing. What I just mentioned includes more than 20 characters. There is like 140 characters in MCOC now(rounded)? That's not a small %, not a small amount, that's quite a lot of spots in your possible pulls taken by mostly very mediocre, unoriginal champs. Not the way to go, Kabam. Something to think about.

I got to say this is the worst rant I read in a long time, for any game. It is obvious they are doing new character to concide with the movie. If movie was not made, they would have not made new Ms Marvel character. Nothing that Kabam did here is wrong or bad. No bad intentions on part of developers. None. Zilch. Nada. Some sense of realistic conditions and situation they were put in. Find some other topic to blame Kabam on, but skip this one. Marvel made 5000 different versions of Spiderman. Go complain to them.
  • DrZola wrote: »

Dr. Zola

The post I replied to called making a new champ rather than buffing an existing champ an "obvious money grab." What I said was: that's what Kabam does, make new champs rather than change old ones. This complaint is a totally different one: this presumes that Kabam shouldn't make "new champs" that are too similar to existing ones in general. Except that particular complaint completely ignores the fact that the new Captain Marvel is almost certainly a cross promotion thing with Marvel. It is Marvel that is almost certainly dictating to MCOC to do something new with Captain Marvel to coincide with the movie. That decision has nothing to do with making entirely new champions rather than ones similar to existing ones, because that option doesn't exist in this case. Given essentially a mandate to do something with Captain Marvel, it then becomes obvious that the more likely option is to make a new iteration of the champion rather than revamp an existing one.