**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

5* feature list is out...TIME TO HOARD EVEN LONGER

Comments

• Austin555555Austin555555 Posts: 3,043 ★★★★★
    Skkc said:

Captain Marvel
    Havok
    Mister Sinister
    Nick Fury
    Thing
    Ghost Rider
    Hawkeye (decent but not worth the extra shards)
    Medusa

I’m risking one single crystal just for a 5* thing or sinister. But ghost rider would be a terrific miss for me soo I can complete my 5* trinity.
  • Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,151 ★★★★★
    Havok, Thing and Fury are amazing, IMO, and if I could get Medusa that would awaken mine, which would be great. I need mystic champs and GR and Hood are two of my favorite. I'd day about 10 of these champs would really help the top end of my roster.

Part of this game is gambling, in this case with your hard-earned shards. I feel like for me this will be a good gamble.
  • Dexman1349Dexman1349 Posts: 3,060 ★★★★★
    Skkc said:

Captain Marvel
    Havok
    Mister Sinister
    Nick Fury
    Thing
    Ghost Rider
    Hawkeye (decent but not worth the extra shards)
    Medusa

Pretty much all that interests me.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,554 Guardian
    Vale84 said:

Why featured has to be structured so that unless you find a featured, you pretty much wasted 5 extra k shards?

This is not a property of the crystal, this is a property of perspective. Which is to say, it isn't proper to judge the value of a random reward based on the result, because you aren't paying for a result, you're paying for the random chance at the various results. The value of your money is decided before the reward is chosen.

If you choose to judge whether the cost was worth the reward for a random reward, then by definition it is impossible to make a random reward that will be worth the cost for all the participants. The cost will be related to the average value awarded, but a significant amount of the rewards will always have less value than that.

This is an error in how human beings evaluate risk, and it is often the source of a lot of bad outcomes in people's lives when this error occurs in places more important than video games.
    Is there any bias into choosing basics? Does kabam have a different weight for a basic cyclops compared to a basic corvus glaive, despite BOTH being in the basic pool?
    I suspect there is, and I suspect it isn't based on anything related to the subjective opinions of the developer making the crystal, but rather something in the data of the gameplay of the game. My guess is the champions are rated based on metrics such as how often they are played, and how efficient they are at generating rewards for the players. When the crystal is assembled, the contents are drawn from every rating tier across all the champions they have data for.

I have no direct evidence of this, but this would be consistent with how these kinds of things often (but not always) happen.
  • Vale84Vale84 Posts: 308 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Vale84 said:

Why featured has to be structured so that unless you find a featured, you pretty much wasted 5 extra k shards?

This is not a property of the crystal, this is a property of perspective. Which is to say, it isn't proper to judge the value of a random reward based on the result, because you aren't paying for a result, you're paying for the random chance at the various results. The value of your money is decided before the reward is chosen.

If you choose to judge whether the cost was worth the reward for a random reward, then by definition it is impossible to make a random reward that will be worth the cost for all the participants. The cost will be related to the average value awarded, but a significant amount of the rewards will always have less value than that.

This is an error in how human beings evaluate risk, and it is often the source of a lot of bad outcomes in people's lives when this error occurs in places more important than video games.
    Is there any bias into choosing basics? Does kabam have a different weight for a basic cyclops compared to a basic corvus glaive, despite BOTH being in the basic pool?
    I suspect there is, and I suspect it isn't based on anything related to the subjective opinions of the developer making the crystal, but rather something in the data of the gameplay of the game. My guess is the champions are rated based on metrics such as how often they are played, and how efficient they are at generating rewards for the players. When the crystal is assembled, the contents are drawn from every rating tier across all the champions they have data for.

I have no direct evidence of this, but this would be consistent with how these kinds of things often (but not always) happen.

IMa divide your answer in A and B for easier answering:

A) Agreed, but the way this is implemented in the game as it is right now is terrible. You don't have any means to access new champions unless 1)Gmcs = money spent or 2) tossing your shards away for a tiny hope at it.
    In case of 2) you woul agree that 4% chanche is an already fair low chanche gamble, and there shouldnt be any further need to "troll" the players with secondary results being mostly all Trash champions.

The satisfaction of the customer is kinda relevant in this too, cause the only ones who keep "spinning" are the ones who have a problem with gambling overall. Normal players will eventually stop spinning if the chanches of rewards of the rewars themselves are dire 90% of times.
    If You should feel bad already for "spinning and not finding what you were seeking", then adding also the "I didnt get the champ i wanted, and on top, i got trash" only adds unneded stress to the equation.

To what point can you push your player/customer with an awful "b-side" being it yet another trash tier champion, before said customer/player is fed up? Maybe it's hard to get me as i'm not a native english speaker but im sure you can get my point.

A recent example would be EA games. To what point could they push bad decisions, keep their playerbase non-content, but still hooked? Not too long. Suddenly out of nowhere players were just gone. There was no allarming trends not bells ringing, ppl just disappeared. And that's what will happen eventually in this game aswell.
    Pushing costantly the string to the point of fracture, waiting it to be almost broken before tossing a bone or two won't work forever. But i'm digressing.

TL/DR there is no reaso to further punish players adding shame to the injury. Give featured a proper balance of loot, and ppl will be ok with it. "WEll i didnt get sinister but i pulled a Stark, cant be unhappy with that". That's what "should" and "could" happen. Right now? "i didn't get sinister, so i got a trash tier" is the reality.

B) Very agreed. But again, to what extent can you do that kind of math? 17 out 24 being terrible picks is WAY exaggerated. Again, unhappy customers will stop being customers, and if you think "it'll be fine we got whales", then you better prepare for a rough awakening. Kabam isn't EA and doesnt have the same damage control ability. But i digress again. Point is none wants customers to be enraged, and in the last 7 days Kabam managed to do everything to get them pissed off, and this last drop isn't helping, rather making it even worse. How long before customers just let go?
  • poknjnuuupoknjnuuu Posts: 19
    Kabam Miike, why not just make the featured xtal contain the most recent 24 champs? Drop out the 6 oldest when you’re ready to add 6 new ones. You won’t get any grief about garbage filler champs and everyone will know exactly what’s in the next xtal.
  • Vale84Vale84 Posts: 308 ★★★

Vale84 said:

You mean why can't people pick and choose what's in the Crystal so they can increase the odds of getting "basic-but powerful" Champs?
    I believe I just covered that. They include a balance of them and rotate them. They're not going to make them all God Tier.

No, once again you just don't get it.

Why can't devs provide a balanced selection of champions from basic to mix with featureds?

You clearly must have something wrong. i Literally posted a possible "fair selection" providing an equal amount of low, mid and high tier champions to balance the pool and leave it up to rng, which YOU REPLIED to less than an hour ago, using it as a mere example on what Devs could do to avoid players being COSTANTLY let down by their choiche.

No players shouldnt be able to pick themselves.

Yes Devs absolutely are out of touch as far as balancing 15k pool goes.

YES they can't all be god tier, but the opposite applies too: they can't ALL be trash tier my dude.

BALANCE has a precise meaning. 17 trash tiers out of 24 picks isnt balance, it's just lazyness or wanting to penalize players. And please don't come out answering that adding that amount of trash is in order to balance the chanche to get a featured, cause even featureds aren't alwais mandatory GOOD champions. It just makes no sense, and all it does is keep players AWAY from the crystal

Just like every other discussion you use to deploy your "knowledge bombs", let me remind you that it's pointless to debate about choiches once playerbase is gone. And it's going at a terifying pace. And THIs is one of many reasons it is happening.

I would advice you to go over an overall study of the champions listed, cause i am starting to think you lack the basic knowlege of champion's ability given you don't see an umbalance in upcoming 15k pool. And keeping your idea means, once more, having no clue of game meta, and what a champ can and can't do. Pretty pointless to keep going after this, as there is no point into trying to teach you how the game works when you don't have any care to learn about it.

Being a Casual is no problem. But being a casual and infesting the forum with over 15k posts where you act like you play this game at a level making you knowledgeable about it, is kinda hilarious.
    I get it, 100%. What you don't seem to grasp is what I'm saying. A balance doesn't mean a handful of God Tier vs. some Trash. In fact, they specifically indicated they would make an effort to steer away from using all of the lowest-ranking Champs, but what they didn't indicate was an effort to use the highest. Balance doesn't mean including God Tiers by namesake. They don't even think in terms of that, they look at the data. Balance means middle-ground. Champs that aren't all the lowest, and aren't all the highest either. They're not likely going to introduce an increased rate for picking up all the best-scoring Champs in the game every month. Judging from their response today, having everyone save up for every Featured isn't even something they intended to happen. I'm sorry, but you seem to be the one that isn't grasping the concept of balance in this scenario, and because you persistently make comments of a personal air about me, where I'm at, and my participation in the Forum, we are most certainly done.
    In the words of Mick Jagger, "You can't always get what you want.".
    Where is the so called "not too good but not too bad" pool you babbling about? Stop proving that you have ZERO knowledge of the game and its champions. Just please stop.

"you can't get alwais what you want"? sure

"you will almost never get what you want" tho isn't right either.

And with this im done, trying to talk with someone believing Rhino and cyclops are mid tier is like trying to talk with someone trying to prove that a third rather 100k miles car is mid tier compared to a ferrari. Let's just move over, you add nothing to these forums if not deviate all topics on yourself. And i will no longer give importance to someone who doesn't even know what he talks about. Go read characters abilities, ALL of them, it may prove better than spamming 15k pointess messages.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,191 ★★★★★
    edited April 2019
    You're still not listening, you're just following your own narrative. What you consider good or bad does NOT automatically coincide with the data. They have their own methods of determining who is included, and it doesn't involve who thinks what is Garbage Tier. If that was the case, you'd have one Crystal, on repeat, with about 10 choices.
  • HulksmasshhHulksmasshh Posts: 742 ★★★

Vale84 said:

You mean why can't people pick and choose what's in the Crystal so they can increase the odds of getting "basic-but powerful" Champs?
    I believe I just covered that. They include a balance of them and rotate them. They're not going to make them all God Tier.

Why can't devs provide a balanced selection of champions from basic to mix with featureds?

You clearly must have something wrong. i Literally posted a possible "fair selection" providing an equal amount of low, mid and high tier champions to balance the pool and leave it up to rng, which YOU REPLIED to less than an hour ago, using it as a mere example on what Devs could do to avoid players being COSTANTLY let down by their choiche.

YES they can't all be god tier, but the opposite applies too: they can't ALL be trash tier my dude.

BALANCE has a precise meaning. 17 trash tiers out of 24 picks isnt balance, it's just lazyness or wanting to penalize players. And please don't come out answering that adding that amount of trash is in order to balance the chanche to get a featured, cause even featureds aren't alwais mandatory GOOD champions. It just makes no sense, and all it does is keep players AWAY from the crystal

Just like every other discussion you use to deploy your "knowledge bombs", let me remind you that it's pointless to debate about choiches once playerbase is gone. And it's going at a terifying pace. And THIs is one of many reasons it is happening.

I would advice you to go over an overall study of the champions listed, cause i am starting to think you lack the basic knowlege of champion's ability given you don't see an umbalance in upcoming 15k pool. And keeping your idea means, once more, having no clue of game meta, and what a champ can and can't do. Pretty pointless to keep going after this, as there is no point into trying to teach you how the game works when you don't have any care to learn about it.

Being a Casual is no problem. But being a casual and infesting the forum with over 15k posts where you act like you play this game at a level making you knowledgeable about it, is kinda hilarious.
    I get it, 100%. What you don't seem to grasp is what I'm saying. A balance doesn't mean a handful of God Tier vs. some Trash. In fact, they specifically indicated they would make an effort to steer away from using all of the lowest-ranking Champs, but what they didn't indicate was an effort to use the highest. Balance doesn't mean including God Tiers by namesake. They don't even think in terms of that, they look at the data. Balance means middle-ground. Champs that aren't all the lowest, and aren't all the highest either. They're not likely going to introduce an increased rate for picking up all the best-scoring Champs in the game every month. Judging from their response today, having everyone save up for every Featured isn't even something they intended to happen. I'm sorry, but you seem to be the one that isn't grasping the concept of balance in this scenario, and because you persistently make comments of a personal air about me, where I'm at, and my participation in the Forum, we are most certainly done.
    Balance can mean a number of things and best believe Kabam does have their own internal tiers of how desirable to undesirable a champion may be. Balance can mean a high number of very desirable champs versus a high number of low desirable champs, or a mixture of middling ones. What the majority of people are saying is that the “balance” of this crystal is on the lower spectrum, and players would like to see the next crystal’s balance increased. It’s valid concerns to the Kabam devs, which they can do whatever they want with but feedback nonetheless. What you don’t seem to grasp is that the forums are a source of feedback loop and not every decision is gold.
    I'm seriously done debating it with you. You're not even reading what I'm saying with any effort to process my points, you're just arguing and making personal remarks.

Vale84 said:

Balance can mean a number of things and best believe Kabam does have their own internal tiers of how desirable to undesirable a champion may be. Balance can mean a high number of very desirable champs versus a high number of low desirable champs, or a mixture of middling ones. What the majority of people are saying is that the “balance” of this crystal is on the lower spectrum, and players would like to see the next crystal’s balance increased. It’s valid concerns to the Kabam devs, which they can do whatever they want with but feedback nonetheless. What you don’t seem to grasp is that the forums are a source of feedback loop and not every decision is gold.
    I don't believe it has much to do with desirable, and more to do with the internal data.
  • HulksmasshhHulksmasshh Posts: 742 ★★★

Vale84 said:

I don't believe it has much to do with desirable, and more to do with the internal data.
    Yeah internal tiers that Kabam ranks how desirable a champion may be. It helps to read before replying.

Vale84 said:

Yeah internal tiers that Kabam ranks how desirable a champion may be. It helps to read before replying.
    No, that's not what I mean. I read everytime I respond, thanks.
    The truth is, none of us are aware of their methods, but what I would suspect is it's not a situation where they hand pick based on who would like what. I think that line of thinking is along the same lines as taking the selections personally. What I believe could be the case is that they have a cross-section of Basics that they rotate which vary in how they rank among the data. I don't believe it's really a choice based on who likes what. That's not really something that makes sense to me. Not from their standpoint. I suspect they have a very specific range to choose from so that the options are varied, but not swayed too far either way.
  • Fred_JoeityFred_Joeity Posts: 1,168 ★★★
    Half this thread is GroundedWisdom arguing about RNG and Kabam’s secret techniques for picking featured champs... Let’s keep this simple, if there’s enough champs that you want, buy the featured crystal. If you don’t think it’s worth it, don’t buy it. These are really more for the whales that are looking for a specific champ instead of just a random “good” champ.
  • GhostboytjieGhostboytjie Posts: 2,182 ★★★★★
    I agree here with @GroundedWisdom , its all RNG based but i still feel why waste a extra 5k shards for a chance to get a good 1? I would rather spend 100k shards on 10 crystals and get 10 bad new champs than get 6-7 crystals and pull 1 good champ . And its more points for arena so idk why people hoard that much. But thats jusy my opinion.
  • Jank39Jank39 Posts: 139
    Being an android player that generally has to put up with what can only be described as substandard service delivery by kabam, on top of the disappointment of no 4*s in Act 6, on top of the recent 22.1 patch failure, "fun and interactive"/unavoidable damage nodes and other cash grab decisions. I just feel that Kabam is no good at reading the mood of the community... This 5* featured pool is so meh that its another little kick down the path of non enjoyment/towards retirement for many people.... understand arguements for why the champ mix is what it is but ultimately its a big opportunity lost to lift the spirits of the community and even worse continues to push attitudes further on the downward spiral....
  • SceptilemaniacSceptilemaniac Posts: 1,195 ★★★★
    Okay just for a little comparision here,
    The last featured crystal had

Featured: Night thrasher, Darkhawk, Aegon, The Champion, SS, VTD= 6
    God tier: Magik, Stark spidey, Iceman, Gwenpool= 4
    Demi-gods: X-23, Spider gwen, She hulk=3
    Okay-ish: Modok, Yellowjacket, mephisto, night crawler, Agent Venom, Drax=6
    Trash: Iron man OG, Magneto,Iron fist, King Groot, Punisher 2099=5

So about 13 champions you'd be quite happy to pull.

The current featured has:

Featured: Captain Marvel, Havok, Thing, Diablo, Nick Fury, Mister sinister=6
    God: Medusa, Ghost Rider(if)=2
    Demi-gods: None=0
    Better than average: Hawkeye, The Hood, Mordo, Kingpin(if), Sentry, Ultron, Yondu=7
    Okay-ish: Black Panther, Cable, Civil Warrior, Rhino, Spiderman MM, GG, Ronan=7
    Trash: KK, Cyclops=2

So..8 champs you'd be happy to pull.

I mean, you can clearly see the difference in "balance"
    Just my opinion tho
  • IcehawklbIcehawklb Posts: 180
    Tjk602 said:

all i have to say is.....the feature crystal is soooo lousy that i am gonna hoard more. thanks kabam!

Lol I said the same thing to my alliance peeps this morning.
  • It’s really funny that anyone thinks Kabam “cares” about the player base. They care about players the same way a crack dealer cares about crack heads, they just want someone to exploit. There is a reason the gift box games like this have been banned around the world... they are gambling, and the house always wins when you gamble. Even when you feel like your winning, it’s because you’ve already lost so many times.

Hoarding resources is a result of “balance changes” that occur out of nowhere. People hang onto crystals because you never know when an update will occur and kill the last several months or years of work.

The most common advantage players get in this game is to defraud defraud a financial institution... where is the ban on that? I’m sure many of you know someone who’s bought several Odom’s just to get a refund when things don’t go their way. If kabam was really looking to balance the game they would look into some of these youtubers and their spending. I mean who spends 36k units to get 1800 cavalier crystals? (His shows not that good, no way it’s legitimately funded)

Kabam doesn’t care about the player base the biggest lie is that they act like they do. As long as we log in to play and post rants like this they win.

Time to get some refunds...
  • Liss_Bliss_Liss_Bliss_ Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    It’s funny to me that back in January of ‘18 @Kabam Miike made a post about the changes to how the old vs current crystals were being made.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/43300/upcoming-changes-to-5-star-featured-crystal

And they/he even recognized people were “saving” crystals for Blade.

But now saving crystals....erm I mean hoarding crystals is bad?

• StewmanStewman Posts: 735 ★★★

It’s funny to me that back in January of ‘18 @Kabam Miike made a post about the changes to how the old vs current crystals were being made.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/43300/upcoming-changes-to-5-star-featured-crystal

And they/he even recognized people were “saving” crystals for Blade.

This was my exact thought when I saw the comment where he said they would no longer be announcing the crystals ahead of time.
  • RapRap Posts: 3,193 ★★★★
    Why would anyone with less than half the 5 star roster waste time and extra shards on the featured anyway? Even if it did pop a good champ they don't interest me till they are duped and i have like 2 champs in any one of these recent crystals so sticking with basic till i have more of the champs in the featured or i quit playing...

It’s really funny that anyone thinks Kabam “cares” about the player base. They care about players the same way a crack dealer cares about crack heads, they just want someone to exploit. There is a reason the gift box games like this have been banned around the world... they are gambling, and the house always wins when you gamble. Even when you feel like your winning, it’s because you’ve already lost so many times.

Hoarding resources is a result of “balance changes” that occur out of nowhere. People hang onto crystals because you never know when an update will occur and kill the last several months or years of work.

The most common advantage players get in this game is to defraud defraud a financial institution... where is the ban on that? I’m sure many of you know someone who’s bought several Odom’s just to get a refund when things don’t go their way. If kabam was really looking to balance the game they would look into some of these youtubers and their spending. I mean who spends 36k units to get 1800 cavalier crystals? (His shows not that good, no way it’s legitimately funded)

Kabam doesn’t care about the player base the biggest lie is that they act like they do. As long as we log in to play and post rants like this they win.

Time to get some refunds...

Refunds because you don't like the pool of Champs in the Crystal? That's a first for me.
  • SlyCat42SlyCat42 Posts: 500 ★★
    Well if you were hoarding just open now. Could still get some decent stuff in the current featured.
  • @Kabam Miike Hi there, may I ask why the basic list in this next feature 5* crystale is so underwhelming? With the basic 5* crystal getting stronger and stronger and the newly released Cavalier crystal having such a high chance of dropping 5* champions, what is the concern from Kabam of adding more of the publicly agreed upon useful champions from the MCoC champion universe?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,554 Guardian

To be honest, this is something I'm puzzling over myself. In general there is such a thing as "unhealthy hoarding" and every game that implements inventory caps understands this. Without getting too deep in the weeds, game resources are balanced within certain parameters, and allowing players to accumulate resources in an unlimited fashion creates problems. This is a game design fundamental, and not really anything controversial.

But applying that to the specifics of 5* crystal fragments, I can't come up with a good reason to either remove advance crystal content notices, or an idea for how removing crystal content notices would reduce excessive hoarding. In fact, it could do the opposite.

It comes down to psychology. Suppose you're someone that decides to hoard 5* fragments until you see a featured crystal that you really, really, really like. Well, the advance notice means almost nothing to you. You're judging the crystal based on its contents in an absolute sense, whether it is worth it to you, and if it is not, you keep hoarding. Knowing the crystal contents today or tomorrow doesn't change your strategy. And it does nothing to prevent you from literally hoarding fragments until the end of time if you don't get a crystal you like.

But what if the next crystal is even worse? Well, now that we have advance warning, we could decide to spend our fragments now rather than wait until the new crystal shows up. But that presumes we are willing to buy the current crystal in the first place. If we don't like it, and don't like the next one even more, we might still just keep hoarding. Only players that judge the crystals on a relative basis would care here. When you have advance warning, there's a week when you know what the current crystal is and what the next one will be, and you can make a choice: spend now or wait a week and spend later.

But if you're a person that does this, your hoarding is limited. Basically, you're saving up fragments until the end of a 90 day period, and then making your choice to spend around that time. So while you might be a hoarder, you're probably still spending fragments once every 90 days or so, more or less.

Now, as a general principle, it is normally better for the player to spend early rather than hoard and spend late. Someone who buys fifty 5* crystals throughout the year is better off than someone that buys fifty 5* crystals every December, because the first player gets the benefit of having those champions for a longer period of time. If there's any benefit at all to those champions, they get to have that benefit sooner. But here we're talking about a period of ninety days. That seems to be a relatively small period of time to worry about hoarding.

What's more, a presumption I make about the featured crystals is that players actually have a choice as to whether to buy one version or save for the next one if they don't like the contents. That seems obvious. But the only way to make that choice is to save fragments for at least ninety days. If Kabam is saying that hoarding for ninety days is "unhealthy" then they are saying they don't really want players to choose between this featured and the next featured: they only want players to choose between this featured and the current basic. That seems to be extremely limiting to me, and it also makes the contents of the featured crystal more suspect. You can't as easily justify putting in high and low desirable champions in a crystal when you also imply players aren't supposed to choose to not buy them and wait for the next one.

To be clear, individually there's nothing wrong with stopping the advance notices, there's nothing wrong with trying to moderate hoarding, there's nothing wrong with the featured crystal contents. The problem to me is that they don't all add up to a coherent game design. At least one thing here is wrong. I can't say which one, I only know that Kabam can't properly believe all these things simultaneously.

And this won't stop most long term hoarding in my opinion. It will only stop the "medium" hoarding that tries to jockey for the best upcoming crystal. Why attack that problem?