**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.

Time limit on rifts

Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★
As the title suggests, why is there a time limit on the rifts
People lost their rifts to the outage and I think that the timer is a pointless feature unless I am missing something
Can some people tell me why there is a timer or if compensation will be given

Comments

• TerraTerra Posts: 7,927 ★★★★★
    Compensation? Unlikely.
    Time limit? Well why not run a rift directly after you open it? No point in leaving the game and returning if you opened one then complain. You're supposed to do them asap when opened.
    Verzz said:

Terra said:

Compensation? Unlikely.
    Time limit? Well why not run a rift directly after you open it? No point in leaving the game and returning if you opened one then complain. You're supposed to do them asap when opened.

There was an emergency maintenance
    I know. I'm referring to a normal rift run that's in the players control.
    Verzz said:

Terra said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Compensation? Unlikely.

Yes I agree but I also think that the time limit is probably to encourage popping a refill, otherwise it does nothing really. There should be compensation for the emergency outage for sure though for those affected IMO
    Yes of course if the game Malfunctions there should be comp but Kabam has been stingy with that lately. And rifts are supposed to be done asap, hence time limit
    edited June 2019

It cracks me up when people act like you should prioritize this game over everything. Im not really bothered by the rift thing, it is what it is. But the time limit thing is dumb. As we've seen today its flawed. You never know whats going to happen once you open a rift, could be a family emergency or anything and they give you one hour to complete it because?...

And to say we shouldn't expect compensation for this is bonkers. We most likely wont get it but we should sure expect to be compensated for this, wasnt our fault

I'm just gonna drop a lol on you and move on because I don't have time to argue rn. It's 2 in the morning. Need sleep
  • Pony_boyPony_boy Posts: 50
    Terra said:

Compensation? Unlikely.

No other solo event has a time limit, except monthly EQ, but you can be on one path the whole month if you want too. I could even spend a whole year completing one path of LoL if I wanted.
    The only reason for a time limit is to encourage Energy Refill use, which encourages Units spent, which encourages Units bought. So yeah the all mighty dollar is the reason behind this.

As for the outage, I wouldn’t hold my breath with the way Kabam runs their customer service.
  • Marlo_Mike33Marlo_Mike33 Posts: 193
    Terra said:

It cracks me up when people act like you should prioritize this game over everything. Im not really bothered by the rift thing, it is what it is. But the time limit thing is dumb. As we've seen today its flawed. You never know whats going to happen once you open a rift, could be a family emergency or anything and they give you one hour to complete it because?...

And to say we shouldn't expect compensation for this is bonkers. We most likely wont get it but we should sure expect to be compensated for this, wasnt our fault

I'm just gonna drop a lol on you and move on because I don't have time to argue rn. It's 2 in the morning. Need sleep
    Lol its 6 pm here but i didn't intend to start an arguement with you ( i know thats common here) Enjoy your rest
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,470 Guardian
    Verzz said:

Terra said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Compensation? Unlikely.

Yes I agree but I also think that the time limit is probably to encourage popping a refill, otherwise it does nothing really. There should be compensation for the emergency outage for sure though for those affected IMO
    Yes of course if the game Malfunctions there should be comp but Kabam has been stingy with that lately. And rifts are supposed to be done asap, hence time limit
    The way I see it, rifts are not supposed to be done ASAP, they HAVE to be done ASAP BECAUSE of the timer, not the other way around.
    The game rewards players who complete the rifts before the timer expires, just like it rewards players that have more time to grind arena, just like it rewards players that have more hand-eye coordination concentrated in their fingers. These are all somewhat arbitrary game design decisions with the understanding that all game play design decisions involve creating obstacles for players to overcome, all of which don't have to exist in any particular game. Combat could be turn-based, for example. It is a completely discretionary decision that the game requires twitch skills.
    Verzz said:

DNA3000 said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Compensation? Unlikely.

The way I see it, rifts are not supposed to be done ASAP, they HAVE to be done ASAP BECAUSE of the timer, not the other way around.
    The game rewards players who complete the rifts before the timer expires, just like it rewards players that have more time to grind arena, just like it rewards players that have more hand-eye coordination concentrated in their fingers. These are all somewhat arbitrary game design decisions with the understanding that all game play design decisions involve creating obstacles for players to overcome, all of which don't have to exist in any particular game. Combat could be turn-based, for example. It is a completely discretionary decision that the game requires twitch skills.
    Yes I agree with all of that but I don’t know if you agree with me or not after reading all of that lol
    You're saying the only reason the rifts have to be done quickly is because the timer exists, implying that if the timer didn't exist the rifts would not have to be done quickly. But that's backwards: no one designs anything like that. First you decide what you want the thing to be, and then you decide how to best implement that design. In other words, the decision was probably made for rifts to have a time limit of some kind before a time limit was assigned to them.

It is possible there's some technical reason for the time limits; perhaps this works around some server-side performance limitation that existed at the time the rifts were first implemented. But setting that aside, if the timer is there because of a content design decision, then you can't say that that specific decision is independent of all other aspects of the rifts. Content like this is often designed within a set of design rules and guidelines and even coworker opinions. There's often lots of different voices pushing to make content easier and harder, more and less rewarding. What we players end up getting is a compromise between all those factors that all of the designers involved can live with.

Change one significant thing, like the timer, and you could ultimately change a lot of other things. Make content easier to complete, and you could ultimately reduce the value of the rewards in that content when all those compromises rework themselves out.
  • SiriusBreakSiriusBreak Posts: 2,156 Guardian
    edited June 2019
    Just so all here are aware, it was said that they will be compensating players who lost Atlantian Coral to the Emergency Maintenance today.

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/144805/rift#latest
    Verzz said:

DNA3000 said:

Verzz said:

DNA3000 said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Compensation? Unlikely.

Yes I agree with all of that but I don’t know if you agree with me or not after reading all of that lol
    You're saying the only reason the rifts have to be done quickly is because the timer exists, implying that if the timer didn't exist the rifts would not have to be done quickly. But that's backwards: no one designs anything like that. First you decide what you want the thing to be, and then you decide how to best implement that design. In other words, the decision was probably made for rifts to have a time limit of some kind before a time limit was assigned to them.

It is possible there's some technical reason for the time limits; perhaps this works around some server-side performance limitation that existed at the time the rifts were first implemented. But setting that aside, if the timer is there because of a content design decision, then you can't say that that specific decision is independent of all other aspects of the rifts. Content like this is often designed within a set of design rules and guidelines and even coworker opinions. There's often lots of different voices pushing to make content easier and harder, more and less rewarding. What we players end up getting is a compromise between all those factors that all of the designers involved can live with.

Change one significant thing, like the timer, and you could ultimately change a lot of other things. Make content easier to complete, and you could ultimately reduce the value of the rewards in that content when all those compromises rework themselves out.
    How is it backwards? Obviously they decided there would be a time limit so they put the timer in. If they decided that there would be no time limit and didn’t put the timer in the end result would look the same to the player except there would be no timer so you would be able to do it at your leisure.
    What I'm trying to explain to you is that is a big if, insofar as that's not how group design works. Not just in MCOC, not just in video games, but anywhere.

This is no different than saying if they decided the rewards should be twice as large, then they would be twice as large. That's technically true, but that doesn't mean this was actually a legitimate possibility.

It seems to me the root of your complaint is that you see the timer as an independent option, as if the devs designed the rift and then asked the separate independent question "and now should there be a time limit or not." I can't say whether that actually happened in this case, but I can say I believe it is unlikely to be true in this case.

However, in this case I'm just trying to answer the question of why it is the way it is. I don't have a particular opinion one way or the other about whether rifts *should* have time limits, or whether it is a good idea to advocate for their removal, with one exception: I don't believe the game should limit itself to challenges of only a twitch nature. I believe legitimate challenges should include time and resource management, and strategic decisions. Whether any one thing has a time limit is less important to me than the notion that time limits are universally bad. I think that's too limiting on the game.
  • LormifLormif Posts: 7,369 ★★★★★
    Verzz said:

Terra said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Compensation? Unlikely.

or you could wait until your energy is full to run it maybe?
    Verzz said:

I am not against timers universally but in this case I feel like if they wanted a timer here they should have made it way shorter than an hour, maybe like 10-12 minutes so you feel something from trying to scramble. 1 hour timer makes me feel nothing except to check my energy. I agree with you that it is unlikely they decided after they designed the rift to put the timer in

I think ten to twelve minutes would be too short, because there's five or six fights in there and that would not leave enough time for average players pushing the limits of what they can accomplish to complete the rifts, assuming the fights don't all end quickly and they might even die on the boss. An hour seems to be to me a reasonable value where it is longer than most reasonable attempts to complete even difficult (for the player) content and that accommodates small minor interruptions or crashes of the game client.
  • ZuroZuro Posts: 2,705 ★★★★★
    Lormif said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Compensation? Unlikely.

Or Kabam can inform us before a maintenance
  • DoctorofEvilDoctorofEvil Posts: 217
    Frankly I think it is HORRIBLE. Why? I grinded several worthless normal rifts today so I could do an epic rift. I was halfway through it when the game crashed and I could not get on because of emergency maintenance. By the time I did get on it had expired. Thankfully - I had already chosen a path and was due to earn only 500 5-star shards - but it was such an ordeal to grind the entry fee that I feel incredibly cheated anyways. It is entirely unnecessary because it is not THAT difficult to defeat
  • AshKetchumAshKetchum Posts: 286 ★★
    Theres is a post on the forums already that Kabam Mike responded to saying that they will return the coral of people who got screwed
  • AshKetchumAshKetchum Posts: 286 ★★
    It's just called Rift
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,169 ★★★★★
    Zuro said:

Lormif said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Verzz said:

Terra said:

Compensation? Unlikely.

Or Kabam can inform us before a maintenance
    Which they do, when they're planned. When something crashes, there's very little time to warn people. The first priority is to resolve the issue with the server.
    There are several reasons I can think of for having Timers on the Rifts. The main reason that comes to mind is that's part of the requirement for earning the Rewards. "Finish the Rift in time to claim your Rewards!"....in a nutshell.
  • ZuroZuro Posts: 2,705 ★★★★★

Theres is a post on the forums already that Kabam Mike responded to saying that they will return the coral of people who got screwed

Yeah but how about I'd they got a rare reward and when the do it again they get trashed
  • Bear3Bear3 Posts: 996 ★★★
    The timer is annoying mainly for the epic rifts, because they take almost a whole energy refill... so you can’t jump into one with 2/3 energy and complete without a refill. That being said... you naturally get about 3 full energies per day... there aren’t that many rifts unless you’re doing the worthless tier 1’s or even tier 2’s. Tier 3 and 4 rifts there aren’t that many of... do them when you have full energy and you’ll use 0 refills. It is what it is. Move on. Yes of course people who confirmed lost their rifts during maintenance should get them back... pretty sure a % of people say they were in one and they weren’t.. just annoyed and they think it’s one of the more legitimate gripes to post. Cheers.✌🏻
  • ẞlооdẞlооd Posts: 2,005 ★★★★
    Another possibility is it might be targeted at less skilled players who get K.O.'d and would need to find the resources to rev or heal up in time. My bet is that it encourages item use, which tends to lead to spending. Because the time limit just doesn't seem like any real challenge to me with how short the quest is.
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,623 ★★★★★
    Help me out because I'm not that smart.

Why can't all ingame timers be paused or stopped or otherwise logged and restarted when emergency maintenance is applied?