**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Root Feedback (New Mechanic)

Comments

• Options
    Iron_Patriot_is_litIron_Patriot_is_lit Posts: 1,860 ★★★★★
    Alright, I will admit I didn’t enjoy rooted during heavies as much as I did with rooted during specials, but I think it’s still something that can be adapted to. I was expecting root to only be on specials and not multiple variations of it, but we’ll see what the other variations of root are going forward.
  • Options
    Kabam BooKabam Boo Posts: 840 ★★★★★
    Hi folks!

Thank you for continuing to contribute to this very important discussion about our new Root mechanic. This is just a reminder to please also consider the Root mechanic and its general applications. Our team would love to gather some more feedback and thoughts on the general application of Root so we may further evaluate its functionality in the Contest. We thank you in advance for your cooperation!

We're here, first and foremost, to entertain you! Have an amazing day in the Contest and keep the discussions flowing!
  • Options
    Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    RDMN said:

Kabam Boo said:

Hi folks!

Our team would love to gather some more feedback and thoughts on the general application of Root so we may further evaluate its functionality in the Contest

It's kinda hard to get a realistic perspective of players feedback by deleting over half the comments posted, wouldn't you say?
    Well most of 'em were off-topic and didn't really help, so that's probably why they deleted 'em.
  • Options
    CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,940 ★★★★★
    Bugmat78 said:

Current implementation:

I found the mutant special root day easier than the avengers heavy root today. Did yesterday's twice with only 2 champs got KO'd on total. Today I lost half my team to OG Black widow (hard to dodge that 4 part heavy), OG BP (a 10k heavy) and OG Vision (well this was just the damn sp3 lol). I still did it but some of those heavies are being thrown from out of nowhere. Next time I'll carry Red Guardian.

Also this mechanic should really have some benefit. We are rooted (disadvantaged) but manage to evade - what do we get for that? Nothing. There should be some kind of buff for the attacker (or debuff for the defender).

You can stop them from throwing heavies at all if you stay far away and don't hold block. I had 2 total heavies thrown against me during my run in Legendary
  • Options
    SceptilemaniacSceptilemaniac Posts: 1,195 ★★★★
    Rooted with specials I enjoyed a bit (except that rouge and colossus sp2) I think it added a new challenge to the game.
    Rooted with heavies, however, is straight up terrible. Because you just don't know when the AI is going to throw the heavy, frame drops and stuff does contribute to it too. Also, can heavies like black widow's be evaded fully? If not, I'll scream cAsH GrAb.
  • Options
    TrashPanda12TrashPanda12 Posts: 531 ★★★
    edited November 2020
    I honestly don't think it's that bad. It's just something that changes up the gameplay so it's not the same thing over and over. Keeps you on your toes. And the root on heavy is not hard to deal with at all people. Just parry and don't hold block and they won't activate a heavy.
  • Options
    Iron_Patriot_is_litIron_Patriot_is_lit Posts: 1,860 ★★★★★

Rooted with specials I enjoyed a bit (except that rouge and colossus sp2) I think it added a new challenge to the game.
    Rooted with heavies, however, is straight up terrible. Because you just don't know when the AI is going to throw the heavy, frame drops and stuff does contribute to it too. Also, can heavies like black widow's be evaded fully? If not, I'll scream cAsH GrAb.

I fully avoided BW’s heavy at least 3 times.
  • Options
    SceptilemaniacSceptilemaniac Posts: 1,195 ★★★★

Just spam dash back or there's a timing to it? I'm willing to learn.
  • Options
    D٨RK_ANG3LD٨RK_ANG3L Posts: 89
    Root with multiple hit specials (Tigra, Rogue, Punisher etc) is going to be tricky and if it’s unblockable it’s a goner. Cold feet with heavies of BW, SW, Magik is difficult
  • Options
    phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,684 ★★★★★
    edited November 2020

Just spam dash back or there's a timing to it? I'm willing to learn.
    Its doable, there is a lag between the first kick and the rest. Sort of like "evade...evade,evade,evade" it seems like all the spinny kickers have the same timing.

Its hard to explain, sorry 'bout that.
  • Options
    TrashPanda12TrashPanda12 Posts: 531 ★★★
    HI_guys said:

I honestly don't think it's that bad. It's just something that changes up the gameplay so it's not the same thing over and over. Keeps you on your toes. And the root on heavy is not hard to deal with at all people. Just parry and don't hold block and they won't activate a heavy.

That dosent always work. Some like Mysterio randomly throws heavies out of nowhere
    And your point is? Mysterio's heavy is one quick hit, easy to dodge.
  • Options
    7or77or7 Posts: 48
    This mechanic is interesting when facing a defender whose attacks are fairly straight-forward and have a clear evade window (e.g., Vision specials, Thor specials, storm specials, etc.), but I see this mechanic being a nightmare vs opponents whose specials or heavy attacks have long animations which you typically avoid by creating distance or would otherwise require near-perfect timing (e.g., Thor rag sp2, wolverine/black panther sp2, black widow clairvoyant sp2, modok heavy attack, thing heavy attack, thing sp1, etc.). If these types of animations are made to be rooted and unblockable you are basically dead. Even if the special isn’t unblockable, the block damage will be excessive. Kabam, if you decide to keep this mechanic, please be judicious in your use of it. It could genuinely ruin the play experience if you decide to be sadistic with it.
  • Options
    Nameless_IWNameless_IW Posts: 980 ★★★★
    I found root during heavies alot of difficult to deal with than being root during specials.

ok, i said it now kabam will make a new global node in the soon to be realease act 7 LOL
  • Options
    LyingninjaLyingninja Posts: 182
    Nah man i dont like this root mechanic at all.......i mean side quest in itself is very easy as theres no additional nodes or annoyingly game destroying defenders in the quest right now because its a test run hell yeah it will be easy ....but yeah dexing easy sp2 like rogue, colossus has become a lot more tougher ..or even heavies like storm, black widow thats literally impossible to evade ....yes ghost and quake can counter it easily but thinking practically not everyone has them ......i strongly think this root mechanism wont be fun mixed with fun and interactive nodes...it looks right of now .....think of dexing the sp 2 of domino or sp 1 of aegon or heavy attack of massacre ...all these are fairly straight forward without root but this root a total disaster
  • Options
    Nameless_IWNameless_IW Posts: 980 ★★★★
    edited November 2020
    Day 2 of the side event with the avenger theme. I would say Hyperion is the MVP.

Stun, heavy, stun, heavy, sp2, stun, heavy, heavy, dash back, stun, sp2, game over LOL

Defeated all opponents with that rotation

Hyperion showed no mercy during his run LOL

• Options
    drewtrivdrewtriv Posts: 103
    I don’t mind root but cold feet is brutal
  • Options
    7or77or7 Posts: 48
    edited November 2020
    Below is a subjective list of attacks that most players avoid by spacing rather than dexing, which would likely become problematic if specials are unblockable or if opponents’ attack is high so block damage is significant, and the heavy attack would almost always be problematic. I didn’t include OG heavy attacks like black widow and storm because most players can dex them with practice. For you heros out there, I’m not asking for you to give me a bunch of gifs showing your skill, I’m saying even if you can evade these once in a while, for the majority of the fights, under the majority of conditions, these attacks would be a problem. With more stringent and punishing nodes, root would make the game nearly unplayable against these attacks. So this is to reiterate, kabam, if you keep this mechanic, please be judicious.

Immortal abomination sp1 and sp2, aegon sp1, black bolt sp2, black panther sp2, black widow Claire voyant sp2, black widow deadly origin sp1 and sp2, blade sp2 and heavy attack, carnage sp1 and sp2, civil warrior sp1, colossus sp1 and sp2, cull obsidian sp1 and sp2,dark hawk sp2 and heavy attack, Diablo sp2, doctor octopus heavy attack, dragon man sp1 and sp2 and heavy attack, drax sp2, electro sp1, Elektra heavy attack, ghost rider sp2 and heavy attack, guillotine 2099 sp2, gwenpool heavy attack, Hawkeye sp2, heimdall sp1 and heavy attack, hit-monkey heavy attack, Howard the duck heavy attack, hulk immortal sp1 and sp2 and heavy attack, gladiator hulk sp2, human torch sp2, Hyperion heavy attack, iron patriot sp2, juggernaut sp2, Karnak heavy attack, killmonger sp2 and heavy attack, Korg sp2, Luke cage sp1, modok heavy attack, man-thing sp2, massacre sp1 and heavy attack, Medusa sp2, Mephisto sp2, mojo sp1, mole-man sp2, namor sp1, nebula sp2, nick fury sp2 and heavy attack, night thrasher sp1 and sp2, old man Logan sp2, omega red sp2, Phoenix sp2, red goblin sp1 and sp2, red guardian sp1, rhino sp2, ronin sp2, sabertooth heavy attack, sasquatch sp2, silver surfer sp2, Spider-Man sp1, Spider-Man stealth heavy attack, Spider-Man symbiote sp1, squirrel girl sp2, sunspot sp1 and sp2, taskmaster sp2, the champion sp1 and sp2, thing sp1 and sp2 and heavy attack, Thor ragnarok sp2, tigra sp1 and sp2 and heavy attack, unstoppable colossus sp2, venom sp2, void heavy attack, warlock sp2, wasp sp1, wolverine sp2, x23 sp2, yellow jacket sp1.
  • Options
    Bugmat78Bugmat78 Posts: 2,138 ★★★★★
    Crcrcrc said:

Bugmat78 said:

Current implementation:

I found the mutant special root day easier than the avengers heavy root today. Did yesterday's twice with only 2 champs got KO'd on total. Today I lost half my team to OG Black widow (hard to dodge that 4 part heavy), OG BP (a 10k heavy) and OG Vision (well this was just the damn sp3 lol). I still did it but some of those heavies are being thrown from out of nowhere. Next time I'll carry Red Guardian.

Also this mechanic should really have some benefit. We are rooted (disadvantaged) but manage to evade - what do we get for that? Nothing. There should be some kind of buff for the attacker (or debuff for the defender).

You can stop them from throwing heavies at all if you stay far away and don't hold block. I had 2 total heavies thrown against me during my run in Legendary
    I had 5 so not much difference - 2 cold-cocked me. I know the strategy but it's still not a guarantee. One of those times I was attempting to parry a dash, parry failed (been happening quite a bit the past few weeks :* ) and then I ate stiletto heels.