**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.
There is currently an issue where some Alliances are are unable to find a match in Alliance Wars, or are receiving Byes without getting the benefits of the Win. We will be adjusting the Season Points of the Alliances that are affected within the coming weeks, and will be working to compensate them for their missed Per War rewards as well.

Additionally, we are working to address an issue where new Members of an Alliance are unable to place Defenders for the next War after joining. We are working to address this, but it will require a future update.

general thread to comment on rebalances [Merged Threads]

Comments

• FactorQFactorQ Posts: 110
    I for one really appreciate that they took the time to organize and report this data as basis for their rebalancing. This is an unprecedented amount of data that they are sharing with the playerbase and I hope they continue to provide this kind of info when rebalancing characters. Thanks Kabam!
  • iRetr0iRetr0 Posts: 1,252 ★★★★
    @DNA3000 may have pointed out a mistake in the graphs provided, don't wanna jump on the conspiracy train or anything but I really hope they address that.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

So who do you get back when we SELL Cull back to Kabam?

You get Cull back. Just without any gold, iso, cats, ags, or stones you put into him. You get those back to use as you'd prefer
  • becauseicantbecauseicant Posts: 412 ★★★
    @DNA3000 Nice find on the graphs regarding the discrepancy. I was gonna ask where all these godlike Ronin players have been hiding all this time after seeing his DPS chart from the invisible woman post. If I had to guess that champion was probably mislabeled or the data got messed up somehow.

As for how they quantify the "top 10%" I was assuming it was just an average of only the top 10% DPS values from all recorded fights with the champion. I don't think it has anything to do with player skill or roster size or anything like that. Could be wrong of course but that's how I understood it.
  • Nothing_hereNothing_here Posts: 97
    This is our projected timeline:

Feb 5th: 25.3 Releases: Changes are live, and you’ll be able to try them out in game.
    Feb 10th - 24th: You’ll be able to sell your Cull Obsidian or Namor during this 2 week window.
    February 24th: Selling window is closed. Our team will disable the ability to sell these Champions.
    March 9th: Projected date to return any Namor/Cull Obsidian that was sold, along with any Duplicates received, Gold, ISO-8, Rank Up Gems, Awakening Gems, and Signature Stones.

What if I sell Namor and get it back from any crystal? Sell him again or keep him?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,558 Guardian
    edited January 2020

As for how they quantify the "top 10%" I was assuming it was just an average of only the top 10% DPS values from all recorded fights with the champion. I don't think it has anything to do with player skill or roster size or anything like that. Could be wrong of course but that's how I understood it.

That doesn't seem to be the case, as the text in the postings (at least some of them) directly mention player skill. From the Cull data post:

This chart shows a Comparison of Cull’s DPS vs other high damage dealing Champions throughout Act 6. This is also separated by Player Skill level, with our most skilled again having a much larger division from Summoners that take more damage.

• BigbowlrBigbowlr Posts: 124
    edited January 2020
    I think people would be more accepting of Rebalancing if there was a set procedure for how they were handled. We've got generic rank down tickets, we've gotten character specific rank down tickets, now were selling champs and getting back whatever we naturally pulled but I remember a while back there was a nerf that required us to straight up sell the champ and we'd need to pull it again. There doesnt seem to be any consistency with these changes.
    If, for example, you decided that moving for this "Sell the extras keep the dupes" type system is the new way forward then keep this system and implement for EVERY "tune down" moving forward. Dont pick and choose, just make it the norm. So when Dr Doom get rebalanced in 6 months you give players an ability to sell him and maintain any pulled copies while giving back the resources used on him.
    Whatever you decide keep it consistent so players know what to expect and can plan accordingly when a rebalance in announced.
  • Mega_collususMega_collusus Posts: 12
    At this point of the whole rebalance conversation it really is what it is. The issue concerning me is, and let’s be honest/fair, some people spent a lot of money for a chance at these specific champs. Including quite a few that just kept spending until they got them. I love cull, he’s one of my favorites but I agree he’s a little much once he’s fully ramped, so I understand a balance. But when saying “sell” cull back to us and get mats instead of rank down tickets this is kind of infuriating. I spent a lot to have him in my roster but with the changes I may not want him at that rank/level/sig. I think it’s absolutely laughable that people would even think they’re entitled to a monetary refund but I do think there are other ways ahead. The money spent to obtain him versus all the grinding to rank him are different. Completely giving up the champion is honestly insulting. Maybe I want him at 1/25 just as another fighter in the arena or maybe he’s my favorite character and I just want to see him in my roster. Whatever the case may be for each individual I do not believe that asking us to sell off our champion to accommodate the rank down issue of a champion you were unable to properly gauge before the release to be fair or in the best interest of the game. You said that the sell back would be more complicated than rank down tickets, well by all means save your team some work and just issue the tickets.

Ps sorry if there are a lot of typos. Corrected what I saw.
  • RogerRabsRogerRabs Posts: 548 ★★★★

At this point of the whole rebalance conversation it really is what it is. The issue concerning me is, and let’s be honest/fair, some people spent a lot of money for a chance at these specific champs. Including quite a few that just kept spending until they got them. I love cull, he’s one of my favorites but I agree he’s a little much once he’s fully ramped, so I understand a balance. But when saying “sell” cull back to us and get mats instead of rank down tickets this is kind of infuriating. I spent a lot to have him in my roster but with the changes I may not want him at that rank/level/sig. I think it’s absolutely laughable that people would even think they’re entitled to a monetary refund but I do think there are other ways ahead. The money spent to obtain him versus all the grinding to rank him are different. Completely giving up the champion is honestly insulting. Maybe I want him at 1/25 just as another fighter in the arena or maybe he’s my favorite character and I just want to see him in my roster. Whatever the case may be for each individual I do not believe that asking us to sell off our champion to accommodate the rank down issue of a champion you were unable to properly gauge before the release to be fair or in the best interest of the game. You said that the sell back would be more complicated than rank down tickets, well by all means save your team some work and just issue the tickets.

You know they're returning the champion to you after you sell him right? If you sell a R5/65, you will get a R1 lvl 1 Cull back plus all the mats/gold/iso you used to rank him up
  • GreenscarGreenscar Posts: 24
    I used a 4-5 rank up gem on my cull. All I want to know is IF I sold him will I get back the cosmic 4-5 gem or equivalent t5b, t2a etc because there’s a big difference between the 2
  • dot_dittodot_ditto Posts: 1,442 ★★★★

This can be it. Just remember to keep things on topic, because I would welcome a healthy conversation on how you guys feel we should handle rebalances going forward.

If the answer is "don't do it", I'm cancelling every Buff coming :tongue:

Thanks for you guys putting this all together .. there's a lot of info to sift through and understand (and I don't claim to even begin to understand it LOL ) .. but the fact it's there is awesome.
    Thank you.

I still reserve the right to disagree (or agree) with your proposed changes ;) but at least we have the data which we can discuss.

Community requested the data .. you guys provided ... Thank you!

Despite the few trolls still finding something to whine and complain about, i believe the majority are happy to see the data (even if they still disagree with your conclusions based on that data . .hehe ) :)
  • TaZ_4178TaZ_4178 Posts: 506 ★★

This can be it. Just remember to keep things on topic, because I would welcome a healthy conversation on how you guys feel we should handle rebalances going forward.

Lol you sound like a boxing referee in a title fight! I want a good clean fight...no low blows etc 🤣
  • JosephPoerioJosephPoerio Posts: 269 ★★
    Lets say I use an awakening gem on Namor and put 199 sig stones into him. Then a few weeks later I pull him 5 times from featured cav crystals (after he’s already at sig 200). What would I get back if I sold him? An AG, 199 sig stones, and a sig 100 Namor? Or just 100 sig stones and a sig 100 Namor?
  • phillgreenphillgreen Posts: 3,645 ★★★★★
    The compensation package is really well done, the biggest complaint from all previous tuning changes was the loss of gems and sigs so kudos for that.

I would rather time was spent bringing up some the bad champs than tuning down the great ones.

In the case of Cull and Namor, 2 champs from 120ish are found to be "too good" when most people are likely to never see either in their 5 or 6* roster at max rank/sig for a very, very long time and a smaller percentage again are skilled enough to use a champ to their full potential. The people doing that are going to wreck your content no matter what.

One thing I would really like to see is clarity around who is up for balance changes and a strict set of criteria developed to ensure all champs are being treated fairly. If DPS is it then that's fine but there are plenty of nodes and such that blunt even the heaviest hitters. I'd rather some effort was put into the matchup rather than blunting a champ in every facet of the game.

edited January 2020

Lets say I use an awakening gem on Namor and put 199 sig stones into him. Then a few weeks later I pull him 5 times from featured cav crystals (after he’s already at sig 200). What would I get back if I sold him? An AG, 199 sig stones, and a sig 100 Namor? Or just 100 sig stones and a sig 100 Namor?

My understanding from the announcement is the former. You should be getting the sig level you would have had if you hadn't awakened or used sig stones. But that's my interpretation of the announcement, this is not spelled out literally. It makes sense though, given what they appear to be doing. They aren't tracking your sig levels directly, they seem to be datamining how many times you pulled him, but not the order in which you pulled and sig stoned him up.

Correction, I found a dev post on this subject: under this scenario I belive you will get a Namor plus your sig stones plus your AG, but Namor will not be sig 100 since you did not technically get sig levels for those max dups, just a max sig crystal which you get to keep.

See: https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/comment/1109107/#Comment_1109107
  • rivetrivet Posts: 254
    Why no mention of selling 4 star cull or Namor?
    @Kabam Miike question three: how is that data normalized?

To put it more colloquially, when the data charts show a champ doing, say, 2000 DPS, which version of the champ is that? If you datamined every single time someone took Cull into Realm of Legends, that would be rank 3s, 4s, and 5s. It would be 4* and 5*s. The data would be a blended mix of DPS numbers from different rank, tier, and sig levels. When you compare two champs together, how do you know that X outdamages Y, when it could be that more people rank up X higher than Y, so the distribution of X is naturally higher than Y, and that's partially why X generates more damage faster than Y. Did you somehow try to factor that distribution out of the data, or did you decide to just go with whatever people are using, which means all of the DPS data (and all the data in general) is skewed towards rank up decisions.

For example, again looking at Cull, you show a chart showing that Cull's damage increases with player skill. But isn't it possible that the higher the player skill the more likely they are to be using a higher rank and higher sig level version of the champion? Wouldn't that also contribute to higher damage?

How do you account for these kinds of skews so you're comparing apples to apples?
  • CainCain Posts: 559 ★★
    Greenscar said:

I used a 4-5 rank up gem on my cull. All I want to know is IF I sold him will I get back the cosmic 4-5 gem or equivalent t5b, t2a etc because there’s a big difference between the 2

Read the threads it’s been answered
    RogerRabs said:

You know they're returning the champion to you after you sell him right? If you sell a R5/65, you will get a R1 lvl 1 Cull back plus all the mats/gold/iso you used to rank him up
    I did not know this. I misunderstood or missed this In the initial post. Perfect example of a “slow down and read it 3 times” situation
    RogerRabs said:

I did not know this. I misunderstood or missed this In the initial post. Perfect example of a “slow down and read it 3 times” situation

Buddy just sent me this photo. Maybe it’ll help another individual who didn’t get it
  • A l p h aA l p h a Posts: 539 ★★★

As stated in the annihilus post, all are fine except him buff wise... The problem isn't maintaining his sp2 furies... Its building them up... I have a 5/65 sig 200 annihilus, and in higher content I haven't been able to get him above 5 or 6 stifles even when using the sp1, due to having to bait specials! Meaning you can't build alot of fury to use with the sp2... At 12 furies his damage is really nice... But getting there is nigh impossible if the opponent has an sp3 available! If I were to give different options to truly improve him

Either...
    1. Increased the amount of time the stifles last in general before they expire
    2. Substantially increase the amount of time the stifles are paused after an sp1
    3. Make each stifle debuff decrease the opponents defensive powergain, so the more you build, the easier it is to play aggressive and build more up before an sp2 without having to bait specials constantly
  • OnmixOnmix Posts: 508 ★★★

Any dupes after max sig you won’t get back.
    In the example you provided you’ll get the AG back and 199 stones but no dupes on Namor.

For your champ to be duped when they return it you would’ve had to dupe him before max sig