**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Throne Breaker Title Discussion [Merged Threads]

Comments

• danielmathdanielmath Posts: 4,044 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

GagoH said:

How is this still going on? It’s really not that big of a deal. There’s no new monthly EQ difficultly associated with the title nor is there a new SQ difficulty, and the monthly calendar likely won’t be too different. What really is gonna be the big change is the offers and it makes sense that they chose now to add a new title. Take a look at July 4th’s cash deals:
    The big ticket item was a 15% t5cc crystal in the Odins. I don’t know about you, but I didn’t really care about that because it was a small amount of a random class, but I did get it because I needed the units for Abyss. If I didn’t get too excited about 15% of a random class when I had two r3s, why would the other endgame players who have many r3s get excited about it? They wouldn’t because it’s a small amount of a random class for a lot of money. So why didn’t Kabam make it a twenty-five or fifty percent selector? That would have made the endgame players very excited. However, since the highest title was Cavalier, that also would mean that someone who just beat Sentinel could buy their first r3 before even starting 6.2. That’s not good for the longevity of the game and neither is not incentivizing your endgame players to spend money. That’s why we have thronebreaker, so endgame players can get the resources they actually want and need without Kabam making completing and exploring Act 6 any easier.
    So if you aren’t gonna be getting Thronebreaker when it comes out, it’s not meant for you. You can either cry about it, rank up a champ for the offers, or wait. It’s not a life or death thing if you don’t get it the first day, but it is very important to have this title for the longevity of this game.
    Also, it should be gated behind Act 6 exploration and having a 6r3–Fight me about it.

You have a good point, do you think they’d have percent selectors in the cav offers? ($ plus the unit offers) probably like 25% or something per odin if i was to venture a guess
    I can almost guarantee you that the Thronebreaker cyber weekend deals will have t5cc selectors of varying percentages.
    I think this is a very safe bet. If you presume that the point to Thronebreaker is to add a reward tier for players focused on r3s, then T5CC is the primary scarce resource they need to do that (6* shards being the obvious secondary one). So I would expect Thronebreakers to get more access to 6* crystals, and more access to T5CC, across the entire game and especially during the blockbuster offer windows of Cyber weekend, New Years, and July 4.
    For me as someone with 2 r3 6 stars and 2 unused t5cc right now the difference maker is actually sig stones. My dup levels are so low due to not being a whale. My last 6 star dup was 5 months ago at least, let alone a dup I actually want. So a selector would be awesome and it will be 25% selector for sure but what I'm looking forward to is an increase in 6 star sig stones if Kabam wants to make money and get me to spend more.

I know that's not most players reality but maybe whales can shed a light on what they want for Cyber Monday @Worknprogress?
    I'm honestly starting to care less and less. I didn't buy the last t5cc offers. I don't really have any motivation to continue to push for more R3s. They're completely unnecessary now honestly. Once you have a set of prestige champs, who cares.

Content direction is spiraling towards log in rewards. You can do everything in game currently and that's coming any time soon with R5 5*s. Outside of prestige, I legitimately don't even see the point in pushing let alone spending to accelerate t5cc accumulation.
    Unfortunately, I think that's a side effect of people getting so skilled that it doesn't make a difference. Ideally, we Rank higher to make things easier.
    it's not people getting skilled, it's content getting nerfed. R3's are irrelevant for book 2, so once you have a few prestige champs they're useless to you
    They're not irrelevant. Stronger Champs means easier content, and there's a Node Boost for 6*s. Unless they scrap it.
    Sure they make it easier but it’s already super easy, so what does it matter
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,236 ★★★★★
    edited September 2020

DNA3000 said:

GagoH said:

How is this still going on? It’s really not that big of a deal. There’s no new monthly EQ difficultly associated with the title nor is there a new SQ difficulty, and the monthly calendar likely won’t be too different. What really is gonna be the big change is the offers and it makes sense that they chose now to add a new title. Take a look at July 4th’s cash deals:
    The big ticket item was a 15% t5cc crystal in the Odins. I don’t know about you, but I didn’t really care about that because it was a small amount of a random class, but I did get it because I needed the units for Abyss. If I didn’t get too excited about 15% of a random class when I had two r3s, why would the other endgame players who have many r3s get excited about it? They wouldn’t because it’s a small amount of a random class for a lot of money. So why didn’t Kabam make it a twenty-five or fifty percent selector? That would have made the endgame players very excited. However, since the highest title was Cavalier, that also would mean that someone who just beat Sentinel could buy their first r3 before even starting 6.2. That’s not good for the longevity of the game and neither is not incentivizing your endgame players to spend money. That’s why we have thronebreaker, so endgame players can get the resources they actually want and need without Kabam making completing and exploring Act 6 any easier.
    So if you aren’t gonna be getting Thronebreaker when it comes out, it’s not meant for you. You can either cry about it, rank up a champ for the offers, or wait. It’s not a life or death thing if you don’t get it the first day, but it is very important to have this title for the longevity of this game.
    Also, it should be gated behind Act 6 exploration and having a 6r3–Fight me about it.

You have a good point, do you think they’d have percent selectors in the cav offers? ($ plus the unit offers) probably like 25% or something per odin if i was to venture a guess
    I can almost guarantee you that the Thronebreaker cyber weekend deals will have t5cc selectors of varying percentages.
    I think this is a very safe bet. If you presume that the point to Thronebreaker is to add a reward tier for players focused on r3s, then T5CC is the primary scarce resource they need to do that (6* shards being the obvious secondary one). So I would expect Thronebreakers to get more access to 6* crystals, and more access to T5CC, across the entire game and especially during the blockbuster offer windows of Cyber weekend, New Years, and July 4.
    For me as someone with 2 r3 6 stars and 2 unused t5cc right now the difference maker is actually sig stones. My dup levels are so low due to not being a whale. My last 6 star dup was 5 months ago at least, let alone a dup I actually want. So a selector would be awesome and it will be 25% selector for sure but what I'm looking forward to is an increase in 6 star sig stones if Kabam wants to make money and get me to spend more.

I know that's not most players reality but maybe whales can shed a light on what they want for Cyber Monday @Worknprogress?
    I'm honestly starting to care less and less. I didn't buy the last t5cc offers. I don't really have any motivation to continue to push for more R3s. They're completely unnecessary now honestly. Once you have a set of prestige champs, who cares.

Content direction is spiraling towards log in rewards. You can do everything in game currently and that's coming any time soon with R5 5*s. Outside of prestige, I legitimately don't even see the point in pushing let alone spending to accelerate t5cc accumulation.
    Unfortunately, I think that's a side effect of people getting so skilled that it doesn't make a difference. Ideally, we Rank higher to make things easier.
    it's not people getting skilled, it's content getting nerfed. R3's are irrelevant for book 2, so once you have a few prestige champs they're useless to you
    They're not irrelevant. Stronger Champs means easier content, and there's a Node Boost for 6*s. Unless they scrap it.
    Super easy is an exaggeration. I respect the fact that we all have our views, but saying it's a cake walk and they nerfed it to the ground is not accurate, and it doesn't take into account where other people are at. It wasn't Autoplay material. It was adequate for what it is, in my opinion. Not too easy, but not half-hour Fights with 3 Champs that will do.
  • StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

GagoH said:

I'm beginning to agree with you that the new content is getting too easy. After looking back on the notes I made for the most recent Beta and seriously thinking about them, I think that the original Book 2 beta is what is actually better for the longevity of the game. If they do not dial up the difficulty of the new Book 2 beta, then there is no reason to take 6 stars up to 6r3 outside of prestige because Book 2 can be done with 4/55s.
    Act 6 has been nerfed into oblivion and it seems that 7.1 is gonna be fairly easy (even if I change my mind about doing a Legends run, I will 100% explore it within the first day it drops, so long as I don't have anything else to do that day).
    That battle has already been lost. It's legitimately not even worth discussing anymore at this point unfortunately. All you can do is take what you can out of what's left in the game until you get bored enough to quit at this point I think. I'll stick with where I am doing war until I get fed up with that again and then see what happens from there.

I doubt I'll ever quit all together but I wouldn't be surprised at seeing myself in a retirement alliance sooner rather than later doing just enough to keep my account current enough so that if the bug ever bites again I'm not totally behind.
    I don't think it's totally lost yet. Kabam may be set now on keeping the direction of story content the way it is going, but that doesn't mean they aren't other alternatives to make challenging endgame level content. Just off the top of my head, having a quest consisting of 6 chapters with 1 or 2 quests per chapter that either hard gates you to only bringing in 6r2 champs and above or soft gates that greatly encourage you to bring in 6r2s and 6r3s. This content could have 1 chapter released a month and have around 9-12 paths per quest. This will give endgame players who need a real challenge in the game (I myself am getting really bored with the game and I'm not anywhere as skilled as a lot of endgame players) and allow Kabam to keep the story content as it is going.

DNA3000 said:

GagoH said:

Super easy is an exaggeration. I respect the fact that we all have our views, but saying it's a cake walk and they nerfed it to the ground is not accurate, and it doesn't take into account where other people are at. It wasn't Autoplay material. It was adequate for what it is, in my opinion. Not too easy, but not half-hour Fights with 3 Champs that will do.
    certainly you won't be able to autofight 7.1, but if you take away my rank 3s it won't make the content more challenging, thus they are irrelevant for it

DNA3000 said:

GagoH said:

certainly you won't be able to autofight 7.1, but if you take away my rank 3s it won't make the content more challenging, thus they are irrelevant for it
    There's no way it's not more challenging if you aren't using R3 6*s. Whether people more advanced can tell or not is a different story.
  • TheTalentsTheTalents Posts: 2,254 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

GagoH said:

I'm beginning to agree with you that the new content is getting too easy. After looking back on the notes I made for the most recent Beta and seriously thinking about them, I think that the original Book 2 beta is what is actually better for the longevity of the game. If they do not dial up the difficulty of the new Book 2 beta, then there is no reason to take 6 stars up to 6r3 outside of prestige because Book 2 can be done with 4/55s.
    Act 6 has been nerfed into oblivion and it seems that 7.1 is gonna be fairly easy (even if I change my mind about doing a Legends run, I will 100% explore it within the first day it drops, so long as I don't have anything else to do that day).
    That battle has already been lost. It's legitimately not even worth discussing anymore at this point unfortunately. All you can do is take what you can out of what's left in the game until you get bored enough to quit at this point I think. I'll stick with where I am doing war until I get fed up with that again and then see what happens from there.

I doubt I'll ever quit all together but I wouldn't be surprised at seeing myself in a retirement alliance sooner rather than later doing just enough to keep my account current enough so that if the bug ever bites again I'm not totally behind.
    See this is why I don't want to 100% Abyss. Once you do that all you have left is expiring revives and potions. So even if you receive hard content you will not need to prepare for it because your stash and units are so huge nothing really matters. You've got to be at what 30k units by now at least? Or maybe not because you buy crystals but my point still stands.

You all are a product of your own success, I got to honestly say you may need to pick another hobby. Outside of 32k attack values I don't really see how to fix your issues. You have every champ combination that can possibly challenge you outside of a new Champion boss fight that doesn't exist.
  • StevieManWonderStevieManWonder Posts: 5,017 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

GagoH said:

The original Book 2 was better for the longevity of players who like to push up against content like that. It wasn't better for the longevity of the game itself. This happens to every progressional game that lasts long enough: you can focus on the top of the top and marginalize yourself into oblivion. Or you can focus on the average player and bore most of the top players. For any company that doesn't want to commit professional suicide, the latter is what happens. The highest players in the game then have to decide if they can entertain themselves in between periodical end game content infusion or not. Those that can't, quit.

That's simply the fundamental reality of all games like this. It was true in every MMO I played for more than a week, and that list is very long.

Also, while Book 2 can be done with 4/55s, I would bet that to a first order approximation the percentage of players who can, or will ever be able to do Book 2 with 4/55s without excessive spending is about zero. It is plenty difficult for the vast overwhelming majority of current players and all future prospective players. If I had to do it with 4/55s, I could probably do it eventually. But only after so many restarts of paths that I would probably no longer find doing the content remotely interesting, even as a challenge. And that's coming from someone who did the 4* Cav objective pretty much right out of the gate cold, because of the challenge. So its not like I represent the players that are trying to eliminate the challenge from the game.

DNA3000 said:

GagoH said:

I don't think it's totally lost yet. Kabam may be set now on keeping the direction of story content the way it is going, but that doesn't mean they aren't other alternatives to make challenging endgame level content. Just off the top of my head, having a quest consisting of 6 chapters with 1 or 2 quests per chapter that either hard gates you to only bringing in 6r2 champs and above or soft gates that greatly encourage you to bring in 6r2s and 6r3s. This content could have 1 chapter released a month and have around 9-12 paths per quest. This will give endgame players who need a real challenge in the game (I myself am getting really bored with the game and I'm not anywhere as skilled as a lot of endgame players) and allow Kabam to keep the story content as it is going.
    The biggest challenge to making challenging end game content is two-fold. First, there are a million plus players of the game that will, or you expect will if they play long enough, play through Act 6. But super high difficulty end game content is content only a handful of players will ever experience, or want to experience. We can see that with Labyrinth: I suspect that the vast majority of players of the game will never step foot in there. Given that, it is simply impractical to expend more than a small fraction of the developers' time and resources to making such content.

The second problem is how you go about designing the rewards for such content. The game has a reward budget of sorts, based on the current maximum progression point in the game. They can only give out so many 6* champs and only so many T5CC before those rewards start to get devalued, and player rosters get saturated with them. Past that point, you have to give more rewards for the same psychological effect, which is a death spiral of reward escalation. But conversely players generally expect rewards to be commensurate with difficulty. So you need to balance high difficulty with high rewards with a finite reward bucket, which means the amount of such content must be restricted. The higher the difficulty, the higher the rewards, the less often such content can appear in the game, unless you bump the game's progression maximum upward.

We have only two more ranks of 6* champs before we need to consider what comes next. And *both* options are problematic. We know what happens if we introduce 7* champs. People will complain about having to "start over" and lose their investment in their 6* rosters, just as happened with 6* champs and preexisting 5* rosters. But if we don't do that and instead introduce a gear-like or other advancement mechanism that builds upon 6* rosters, that will permanently lock in a huge roster advantage to veteran players, which takes a very large risk of making the game less attractive for newer players, choking off the flow of new players into the game. I suspect that is a problem that Kabam would like to forestall for as long as possible. So opening up the post-6* game just to allow for a higher amount of end game content is something I don't foresee them finding an attractive option.

Even given all of this, there are ways to square that circle. But they are all controversial, and to the extent that we would have extreme difficulty finding consensus here on the forums, it would probably be just as hard if not harder for the developers working on the game to achieve consensus. And when you have an endless list of things to add to the game, and one of them is one that no one in the organization can agree on how to move forward, that tends to be the one that gets punted down the road, and understandably so.
    So what do you think would be the solution? BG talked about introducing "Challenge Modes" for future story content that I personally find intriguing, but I don't know if that's what Kabam wants.
  • Lainua said:

Hey guys, I saw that they changed ThroneBreaker to Breaker of Thrones but no new title. When will we get it?

I'm guessing tomorrow (Oct 1) for those that meet the requirements. It seems likely that to avoid problems with the title they had to change the existing one first, and then deploy the new one afterwards, rather than do both simultaneously.
  • So what do you think would be the solution? BG talked about introducing "Challenge Modes" for future story content that I personally find intriguing, but I don't know if that's what Kabam wants.

"Challenge modes" is something I've advocated for as well, although the devil is in the details. Challenge modes cover a wide amount of ground. The 4* Cav objective is a kind of challenge mode, specifically where players are challenged to complete existing content under a restriction, which leverages existing content and is much easier to add to the game in terms of time and resources (generally). I like this, but a deficit of it is while it challenges skill, it doesn't emphasize the value of rank ups. Ideally you'd like at least some of the end game challenge mode stuff to allow players to whip out their gigantic teams of top rank champs and play with them.

The inverse is to take existing content and add difficulty on top, like with global nodes. The Book 2 6* buff is a way to back into this sort of thing, where the content rewards players with 6* rosters by making the content easier. Instead, the difficulty could scale up so that instead of being rewarded by making the content easier, it could be scaled to be extremely difficult *with* those champs, and basically impossible with lower champs.

The other possibility is to take some content *structure* and extend it into super high difficulty. For example, the Variants are a kind of irregular release content that you could extend and add a "Nightmare" difficulty tier on top that was intended to be extremely hard end game content targeted at the absolute strongest players at the time of release. You could go bananas because just like the Abyss, it is permanent content that people don't have to beat today. I kind of like this the most, because Variants come out often enough, but not so often that they would flood the game with end game rewards. And we're already primed to think of them as optional content already, so it would be more difficult to make the argument that the super high difficulty was "unfair." It wouldn't be within the normal progression path, and we'd now have three different difficulties targeted at different players. Trivial, Moderately High, and Nosebleed. If you think Nosebleed is unfair, you can always back down one tier, which still has good rewards for the effort.
    DNA3000 said:

So what do you think would be the solution? BG talked about introducing "Challenge Modes" for future story content that I personally find intriguing, but I don't know if that's what Kabam wants.

"Challenge modes" is something I've advocated for as well, although the devil is in the details. Challenge modes cover a wide amount of ground. The 4* Cav objective is a kind of challenge mode, specifically where players are challenged to complete existing content under a restriction, which leverages existing content and is much easier to add to the game in terms of time and resources (generally). I like this, but a deficit of it is while it challenges skill, it doesn't emphasize the value of rank ups. Ideally you'd like at least some of the end game challenge mode stuff to allow players to whip out their gigantic teams of top rank champs and play with them.

The inverse is to take existing content and add difficulty on top, like with global nodes. The Book 2 6* buff is a way to back into this sort of thing, where the content rewards players with 6* rosters by making the content easier. Instead, the difficulty could scale up so that instead of being rewarded by making the content easier, it could be scaled to be extremely difficult *with* those champs, and basically impossible with lower champs.

The other possibility is to take some content *structure* and extend it into super high difficulty. For example, the Variants are a kind of irregular release content that you could extend and add a "Nightmare" difficulty tier on top that was intended to be extremely hard end game content targeted at the absolute strongest players at the time of release. You could go bananas because just like the Abyss, it is permanent content that people don't have to beat today. I kind of like this the most, because Variants come out often enough, but not so often that they would flood the game with end game rewards. And we're already primed to think of them as optional content already, so it would be more difficult to make the argument that the super high difficulty was "unfair." It wouldn't be within the normal progression path, and we'd now have three different difficulties targeted at different players. Trivial, Moderately High, and Nosebleed. If you think Nosebleed is unfair, you can always back down one tier, which still has good rewards for the effort.
    Actually, I was playing around with the same idea. Were there a separate game mode that was nightmareish, that could be an outlet. Mind you, it would be a reasonable amount of extra work. One idea would be along the same lines as Variant, a re-release of Acts 1-6, only redone with tougher Nodes, Champs, etc. Not for the faint of heart, but if they used the same templates, it would lessen some of the work. Then it's just a matter of the values and Nodes, which could be fun to both design and play.
  • DNA3000 said:

GagoH said:

The original Book 2 was better for the longevity of players who like to push up against content like that. It wasn't better for the longevity of the game itself. This happens to every progressional game that lasts long enough: you can focus on the top of the top and marginalize yourself into oblivion. Or you can focus on the average player and bore most of the top players. For any company that doesn't want to commit professional suicide, the latter is what happens. The highest players in the game then have to decide if they can entertain themselves in between periodical end game content infusion or not. Those that can't, quit.

That's simply the fundamental reality of all games like this. It was true in every MMO I played for more than a week, and that list is very long.

Also, while Book 2 can be done with 4/55s, I would bet that to a first order approximation the percentage of players who can, or will ever be able to do Book 2 with 4/55s without excessive spending is about zero. It is plenty difficult for the vast overwhelming majority of current players and all future prospective players. If I had to do it with 4/55s, I could probably do it eventually. But only after so many restarts of paths that I would probably no longer find doing the content remotely interesting, even as a challenge. And that's coming from someone who did the 4* Cav objective pretty much right out of the gate cold, because of the challenge. So its not like I represent the players that are trying to eliminate the challenge from the game.
  • WerewrymWerewrym Posts: 2,830 ★★★★★
    Superc9 said:

They just announced a delay in the Thronebreaker title. I hope it's just a bug fix and nothing silly like lowering requirements.

We can only hope...

Superc9 said:

They just announced a delay in the Thronebreaker title. I hope it's just a bug fix and nothing silly like lowering requirements.

If we're lucky, they'll move the requirements to 100% exploring Act 6 and having at least 1 6r3.
    Doubtful.
  • Stagedear85Stagedear85 Posts: 774 ★★★
    @kabamboo why the delay I just rank 3 my stealth spidey just this morning and now it’s being delayed....
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

Mcord117 said:

I am just more impressed by people who don’t spend their way through it

There’s actually not a big correlation between spending and skill. The best players in 4loki are all spenders.
    Assuming anyone that spends on the game has absolutely no idea what they're doing and soley has gotten where they are due to spending makes people feel far better about having some asinine self righteous attitude towards those people. It's even more funny when you realize the fact that the game would either have died years ago or would be so ridden with ads no one would play it without people spending on it.

Mcord117 said:

I am just more impressed by people who don’t spend their way through it

There’s actually not a big correlation between spending and skill. The best players in 4loki are all spenders.
    Assuming anyone that spends on the game has absolutely no idea what they're doing and soley has gotten where they are due to spending makes people feel far better about having some asinine self righteous attitude towards those people. It's even more funny when you realize the fact that the game would either have died years ago or would be so ridden with ads no one would play it without people spending on it.
    True true
  • sest22sest22 Posts: 933 ★★★

Barter33 said:

So I don’t just have the resources for a rank 3 and have act 6 100%.... I have 2 SCIENCE T5CC..... given that I have no science I feel comfortable ranking as a 6*, I think it is a very bad choice to base a progression title on an RNG rank up material.

This is a choice that you have to make. You are under no pressure to choose one of those Champions if you don't want to. This title is not going anywhere. As T5CC become more common, you'll have more choices, but at this time, this is the way that we have decided to separate the next tier in a way that takes into account both your progression in-game, and your roster progression.
    that is precisely the problem, the list of characters. With the very low chances of getting a character to classify, this is ridiculous. But of course, they definitely always try to create an abysmal gap. Those who already have the lists and the progression, are the ones who are at the top of the game and those who don't need this. If I had the list and ACT 6 100%, I wouldn't need these acknowledgments. kabam's erroneous logic is laughable.
  • ddomddom Posts: 572 ★★
    @Kabam Miike @Kabam Zibiit @Kabam Vydious please make thronebreaker requirement just act 6 completion.

There are summoners who have even 100% ACt 6 and done Abyss but T5CC and 6 star champs dont match up (even with over 50 6 star champs)
  • DeaconDeacon Posts: 4,060 ★★★★★
    i hope the delay has ZERO to do with all the uproar @Kabam Miike ... i think you guys nailed it with the requirements and if that somehow changes, that will do nothing but create even more. one must draw the line in the sand sometimes.
  • Hunter_Sarc0Hunter_Sarc0 Posts: 37
    This new title could have something bigger and different from the others. It always seems like the same things. Some people may have upgraded a 6 star to R3 after the announcement. If that requirement is removed to win this new title, will you do anything to demote the champion?
  • Xguard77Xguard77 Posts: 554 ★★★
    I'm a little bummed now for taking Domino to r3, which I wouldn't have done otherwise.

Just bummed though...not a life crisis, not begging for "compensation"