**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

Advantage for Bifrost Side Event Overcompensation

Comments

• TrubluMateTrubluMate Posts: 365 ★★★
    DNA3000 said:

(that is assuming OP calculations of 9 Max runs being correct, but would much rather see actual confirmation by DNA or some other reliable source as to whether 9 is the correct number or not)

Assuming someone got 240 Uru right at the start of the event (double the 120 Uru that Uncollected players were supposed to get) they could theoretically buy every casket from one to seven immediately (10+15+20+30+40+50+60 = 225). They would have 15 Uru left. To do that they would need to run Tier 6 once to unlock Casket 6 and Tier 7 once to unlock Casket 7. At this point they've done two runs and have a total of 35 Uru (ten each from those two runs plus the left over).

Casket 8 costs 75 Uru. Five runs of Tier 8 would bring the total Uru to 75. All you need is Casket 9 which costs 100 Uru. Ten runs of Tier 9 earns 110 Uru and allows you to buy Casket 9, which now unlocks Tier 10. At this point you've done 2 + 5 + 10 = 17 total runs. We get 35 feathers, which means theoretically speaking you should be able to do 18 runs of Tier 10.

A normal UC run burns 28 feathers to unlock Tier 10, whereupon there would be 7 runs left of Tier 10. So someone with the double Uru should be able to do 11 more runs of Tier 10. Which kind of makes sense, as we earn either 10 or 11 Uru per run, and 120 Uru should then be an advantage of somewhere between 11 and 12 runs.

I'm not certain how the OP performed their calculations, but I believe the numbers above are accurate; also anyone can double check them to verify.

Eleven extra runs of Tier 10 is a pretty sizeable advantage; it is more than double the number of runs normally possible. I don't see how that could be interpreted as anything other than problematic.

The obvious solution, as other people have mentioned, is to lock Tier 10 to a maximum of seven runs, as that was the maximum possible under the content design. It is not as easy to lock Tier 9, because the structure of the content is such that there's no similar limit on Tier 9. In theory someone could reasonably do 17 runs of Tier 9 if they felt Tier 10 was too difficult or 10 runs if they jumped to Tier 10 as soon as possible and stayed there. If you locked Tier 9 to a maximum of 10 that would hurt players who could not move up to Tier 10 and take away an option explicitly intended to be there. If you lock to 17, that's so soft a lock it almost doesn't matter, as someone with double Uru could then do Tier 10 seven times and Tier 9 seventeen times, with only four feathers left over to dump into tier 8.

More complex locking would start to exponentially increase the likelihood of another bug breaking the content while it is still being run by players.
    Thanks DNA, you always provide a great insight.

A suggestion for a way to lock the number of runs is instead of having just a feather as cost for a run, provide two different “tokens” of sorts. And provide every player with these tokens.
    Have 17 level one tokens and 7 level two tokens. In order to access tier 9 you require 1 feather and a level 1 token. To access tier 10 you require 1 of each of a feather, lvl 1 and lvl 2 tokens.

This would put a lock on how many entries (yes i know some have run it already) to a max of 17 of tier 9, or 10entries of tier 9 & 7 entries of tier 10. How it is supposed to run
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    Trubli said:

DNA3000 said:

(that is assuming OP calculations of 9 Max runs being correct, but would much rather see actual confirmation by DNA or some other reliable source as to whether 9 is the correct number or not)

Assuming someone got 240 Uru right at the start of the event (double the 120 Uru that Uncollected players were supposed to get) they could theoretically buy every casket from one to seven immediately (10+15+20+30+40+50+60 = 225). They would have 15 Uru left. To do that they would need to run Tier 6 once to unlock Casket 6 and Tier 7 once to unlock Casket 7. At this point they've done two runs and have a total of 35 Uru (ten each from those two runs plus the left over).

Casket 8 costs 75 Uru. Five runs of Tier 8 would bring the total Uru to 75. All you need is Casket 9 which costs 100 Uru. Ten runs of Tier 9 earns 110 Uru and allows you to buy Casket 9, which now unlocks Tier 10. At this point you've done 2 + 5 + 10 = 17 total runs. We get 35 feathers, which means theoretically speaking you should be able to do 18 runs of Tier 10.

A normal UC run burns 28 feathers to unlock Tier 10, whereupon there would be 7 runs left of Tier 10. So someone with the double Uru should be able to do 11 more runs of Tier 10. Which kind of makes sense, as we earn either 10 or 11 Uru per run, and 120 Uru should then be an advantage of somewhere between 11 and 12 runs.

I'm not certain how the OP performed their calculations, but I believe the numbers above are accurate; also anyone can double check them to verify.

Eleven extra runs of Tier 10 is a pretty sizeable advantage; it is more than double the number of runs normally possible. I don't see how that could be interpreted as anything other than problematic.

The obvious solution, as other people have mentioned, is to lock Tier 10 to a maximum of seven runs, as that was the maximum possible under the content design. It is not as easy to lock Tier 9, because the structure of the content is such that there's no similar limit on Tier 9. In theory someone could reasonably do 17 runs of Tier 9 if they felt Tier 10 was too difficult or 10 runs if they jumped to Tier 10 as soon as possible and stayed there. If you locked Tier 9 to a maximum of 10 that would hurt players who could not move up to Tier 10 and take away an option explicitly intended to be there. If you lock to 17, that's so soft a lock it almost doesn't matter, as someone with double Uru could then do Tier 10 seven times and Tier 9 seventeen times, with only four feathers left over to dump into tier 8.

More complex locking would start to exponentially increase the likelihood of another bug breaking the content while it is still being run by players.

A suggestion for a way to lock the number of runs is instead of having just a feather as cost for a run, provide two different “tokens” of sorts. And provide every player with these tokens.
    Have 17 level one tokens and 7 level two tokens. In order to access tier 9 you require 1 feather and a level 1 token. To access tier 10 you require 1 of each of a feather, lvl 1 and lvl 2 tokens.

This would put a lock on how many entries (yes i know some have run it already) to a max of 17 of tier 9, or 10entries of tier 9 & 7 entries of tier 10. How it is supposed to run
    I suggested to Kabam that they lock Tier 10 behind a separate key, and award seven keys in Casket 9. I'm not 100% certain you can lock a map behind two keys, but if so then you could only do Tier 10 if you still have feathers, but regardless of the number of feathers you had you would be limited to a maximum of seven entries due to the limited Tier 10 keys in Casket 9.
  • PulyamanPulyaman Posts: 2,365 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

Trubli said:

DNA3000 said:

I suggested to Kabam that they lock Tier 10 behind a separate key, and award seven keys in Casket 9. I'm not 100% certain you can lock a map behind two keys, but if so then you could only do Tier 10 if you still have feathers, but regardless of the number of feathers you had you would be limited to a maximum of seven entries due to the limited Tier 10 keys in Casket 9.
    How about just removing the additional feathers from people who got additional uru. The additional uru just gave a jumpstart on the number of days they could do higher tiers. Could removing the equivalent feathers work?
    Pulyaman said:

DNA3000 said:

Trubli said:

DNA3000 said:

How about just removing the additional feathers from people who got additional uru. The additional uru just gave a jumpstart on the number of days they could do higher tiers. Could removing the equivalent feathers work?
    You could calculate the number of extra runs each player is theoretically going to get due to the extra Uru, but if you deduct feathers from those players they will get less rewards than the rest of us, because we all have to do multiple runs of lower tiers while they don't. They'd lose the rewards from those extra runs but not get back anything in return. And there will be some fraction of those players that can't even make it all the way to Tier 10 because it is too difficult for them, and those players would ordinarily just do more runs of lower tiers. I believe you'd be disproportionately hitting lower progress players harder in this case.

Just to make sure I'm explaining this clearly and correctly, imagine if there was only two tiers, Tier 1 and Tier 2. And suppose most players were going to do ten runs of Tier 1 and ten runs of Tier 2. But then some players were able to skip directly to Tier 2 after the first run. So now they get one run of Tier 1 and nineteen runs of Tier 2. That's bad because they get nine extra runs of Tier 2 and they now get a lot more rewards. But if you instead take nine feathers away so now they only get ten runs of Tier 2, they now get only one run of Tier 1 and that means they get a lot less rewards.

The preferable solution (to me) is one where everyone gets the same number of runs, everyone gets the same amount of shots at the absolute best rewards, and then to the best extent possible make all the various complex combinations of situations in the middle work out as close to each other as possible. Ideally exactly the same, but if that's not possible then the goal is to shift the imbalances as low as possible.
    DNA3000 said:

Pulyaman said:

DNA3000 said:

Trubli said:

DNA3000 said:

You could calculate the number of extra runs each player is theoretically going to get due to the extra Uru, but if you deduct feathers from those players they will get less rewards than the rest of us, because we all have to do multiple runs of lower tiers while they don't. They'd lose the rewards from those extra runs but not get back anything in return. And there will be some fraction of those players that can't even make it all the way to Tier 10 because it is too difficult for them, and those players would ordinarily just do more runs of lower tiers. I believe you'd be disproportionately hitting lower progress players harder in this case.

Just to make sure I'm explaining this clearly and correctly, imagine if there was only two tiers, Tier 1 and Tier 2. And suppose most players were going to do ten runs of Tier 1 and ten runs of Tier 2. But then some players were able to skip directly to Tier 2 after the first run. So now they get one run of Tier 1 and nineteen runs of Tier 2. That's bad because they get nine extra runs of Tier 2 and they now get a lot more rewards. But if you instead take nine feathers away so now they only get ten runs of Tier 2, they now get only one run of Tier 1 and that means they get a lot less rewards.

The preferable solution (to me) is one where everyone gets the same number of runs, everyone gets the same amount of shots at the absolute best rewards, and then to the best extent possible make all the various complex combinations of situations in the middle work out as close to each other as possible. Ideally exactly the same, but if that's not possible then the goal is to shift the imbalances as low as possible.
    Yes, that's what I thought. I see t5cc as the main issue for everyone here. Does that mean it will be ok if that gets shifted to the chest reward, but leave everything else as it is? That will mean those who got the additional feathers will still have more chances to run tier 10, but will not get the 26% additional t5cc which seems to be the main issue.
    Pulyaman said:

DNA3000 said:

Pulyaman said:

DNA3000 said:

Trubli said:

DNA3000 said:

Yes, that's what I thought. I see t5cc as the main issue for everyone here. Does that mean it will be ok if that gets shifted to the chest reward, but leave everything else as it is? That will mean those who got the additional feathers will still have more chances to run tier 10, but will not get the 26% additional t5cc which seems to be the main issue.
    I don't think you can shift T5CC to the Casket, because then you don't need to run tier 10 at all to get all of the T5CC. There's no Casket 10, it is Casket 9 that unlocks Tier 10, and you only need to do Tier 9 to get that casket unlocked and purchased.
  • CorkscrewCorkscrew Posts: 532 ★★★
    Pulyaman said:

I think you missed my point. I was asking at which point do you decide that the resource is too valuable? For you t5cc may be valuable. For someone with no 6 star it is close to worthless now. But T4B and T1A are valuable as soon as you get a 4 star which could happen with your first phc.

People who have already played the game can get to UC and Cavalier in a week. I am not so sure a player starting out can do that in a month unless he is spending a lot. My point was that locking only Tier 10 may not be a solution acceptable by everyone. But it could be the only one that we get. Since kabam have responded and are looking into this, let us see how they decide and hopefully that will make everyone happy.

I understood perfectly that you were talking about progression based impact and what the "value" is of an item relative to an account. Having access to T5CC means nothing if you are Contender, Proven or Conquerer. But given that you can progress so rapidly beyond where T1A and T4B are critical to your growth, you can be past that point in what... a week... a month? So it may not matter at the moment that you have it, but it could mean a lot in a very short time. As you mentioned, someone running an alternate can get there in a week.

You mention spending a lot... .the real world $$$ value of T1A and T4B is not the same as T5CC. And again, I point to the ability to get T1A and T4B is many more ways than T5CC. For some people (and I'm excluding myself as I'm F2P), the bulk of their T5CC has been achieved by buying it with real $$$.

It's rather moot at this point, since Kabam are going to do something. It will be a whole other discussion once their solution hits.

• TitoBandito187TitoBandito187 Posts: 2,072 ★★★★
    edited March 2021
    Kabam Boo said:

Summoners,

Upon review of recent concerns regarding potential unfair advantages with regards to players who received additional resources due to a server error, we have decided to temporarily disable Quest Tier 10 until a fair solution can be implemented for all players.

We apologise in advance for any confusion caused in the meantime. Thank you for your continued patience.

Hate to be a stickler, but how are some people in tier 9 already too? Isn't that also a concern?

Kabam Boo said:

Summoners,

Upon review of recent concerns regarding potential unfair advantages with regards to players who received additional resources due to a server error, we have decided to temporarily disable Quest Tier 10 until a fair solution can be implemented for all players.

We apologise in advance for any confusion caused in the meantime. Thank you for your continued patience.

Hate to be a stickler, but how are some people in tier 9 already too? Isn't that also a concern?
    Kabam should be looking into all tiers. So hopefully, they can balance things out.
  • jschwerijschweri Posts: 52
    Thanks for all the details.
  • Mr_PlatypusMr_Platypus Posts: 2,779 ★★★★★

Kabam Boo said:

Summoners,

That’s kinda what this whole thread is about...
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★
    Kabam Boo said:

Summoners,

Dear Mods, I agreed with that temp measure but can you broadcast it via in-game message? It seems not many players aware of it. Maybe content creators can broadcast it too. Thanks.
  • TheTalentsTheTalents Posts: 2,254 ★★★★★
    Ebony_Naw said:

I say Kabam just gives us all the additional uru so we can all get the 26% or whatever of the missing t5cc. I'll take another easy rankup for my roster.

Lol I can get behind this
    Yeah I don't understand all this cutoff talk. An extra 26% t5cc goes a long way, lets not take that off of the table lol.
  • BitterSteelBitterSteel Posts: 9,254 ★★★★★

Ebony_Naw said:

I say Kabam just gives us all the additional uru so we can all get the 26% or whatever of the missing t5cc. I'll take another easy rankup for my roster.

Yeah I don't understand all this cutoff talk. An extra 26% t5cc goes a long way, lets not take that off of the table lol.
    Looking at it objectively, I think what’s right and fair is just to limit it so nobody can get more than intended. But I’d never complain or turn my nose up at the extra t5cc
  • TitoBandito187TitoBandito187 Posts: 2,072 ★★★★
    edited March 2021

Kabam Boo said:

Summoners,

True, but only tier 10 was specifically mentioned by the mod in that response. If there's more about tier 9, I missed it.

All I want is an even playing field for everyone, but still seems like some people are in tier 9 a few days earlier than the rest of us... And still able to access it?
  • ReferenceReference Posts: 2,899 ★★★★★

Kabam Boo said:

Summoners,

True, but only tier 10 was specifically mentioned by the mod in that response. If there's more about tier 9, I missed it.

All I want is an even playing field for everyone, but still seems like some people are in tier 9 a few days earlier than the rest of us... And still able to access it?
    Yap, those with extra uru and feather can grind T9 more than most of us, given T10 was locked now. The rebalance issue has not been cured, just the extra T5 basic shards won’t trigger that much grievance vs T5cc crystal.
    Ebony_Naw said:

Ebony_Naw said:

Because we know it won't happen. In balancing, Kabam isn't going to just hand out ~25% of a t5cc when the mistaken excess isn't out there yet. To maintain competitive fairness, the best we can hope for is what people have been asking for.

But if Kabam is going to hand it out I'll be first in line
    That is not true. We had a similar incident like 6 months ago where we had a gifting shop and certain people got compensated extra by mistake. As a result Kabam decided to give us enough to buy all the items in the entire shop. So your whole premise is false. So lets ask for the best outcome first before we tell Kabam to have a cutoff point.

Ebony_Naw said:

Ebony_Naw said:

Because we know it won't happen. In balancing, Kabam isn't going to just hand out ~25% of a t5cc when the mistaken excess isn't out there yet. To maintain competitive fairness, the best we can hope for is what people have been asking for.

That is not true. We had a similar incident like 6 months ago where we had a gifting shop and certain people got compensated extra by mistake. As a result Kabam decided to give us enough to buy all the items in the entire shop. So your whole premise is false. So lets ask for the best outcome first before we tell Kabam to have a cutoff point.
    Wasn't that the rift side event where everyone got additional keys? The rewards don't compare though. I am all for feeling optimistic, but we also need to be realistic.
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,542 ★★★★★
    edited March 2021

Ebony_Naw said:

Looking at it objectively, I think what’s right and fair is just to limit it so nobody can get more than intended. But I’d never complain or turn my nose up at the extra t5cc
    I suspect it’s more a question of “how” to do that than “whether” to do that—especially without creating knock-ons like the initial fix.

I also suppose it means I will have to actually start doing Tier 8 quests now regardless...

Dr. Zola
  • TheBoogyManTheBoogyMan Posts: 2,094 ★★★★★
    edited March 2021

What if those who already got the extra uru get another round? Then people will say they got three times! Better to put a cap on number of rounds.

And this time if they get a third round, they won't even come forward to tell anyone. They'll simply enjoy the rewards silently.
    Ebony_Naw said:

Ebony_Naw said:

Ebony_Naw said:

The only exceptions I am aware of are those where some people had received the items already. In this case, no one has been able to dip into the extra tier 10 runs yet. A similar thing happened during the Omega boss rush, but again there people had gotten a crystal and Kabam was in an awkward spot and felt it would be best not to pursue action to take those crystals back. Once summoners have the items, we all tend to benefit. That is not the case here. So your whole premise about my whole premise being false, is false.
    Agree to disagree. Kabam is predictable in a lot of ways but sometimes they are not. 26% T5cc is ground breaking for most accounts but I think in this case we may get just that. I'm not settling for less until Kabam says otherwise.