Options

Are you happy with the buffs to Yondu and Deadpool X Force?

Comments

• Options
    Colinwhitworth69Colinwhitworth69 Posts: 7,210 ★★★★★
    edited June 2022
    They’re improved, but not made OP. Am fine with that. Not every champ can be OP.
  • Options
    ErcarretErcarret Posts: 2,794 ★★★★★
    I have neither at a level where I can really try them out, so my only experience so far is taking my r3 3* DPXF into ROL. In there, I found stuff that I liked and stuff that I didn't like. I already wrote a long post about my conclusions here so I won't go into it too deeply again, but what I can say is that he feels a little incomplete. I don't necessarily think he needs to be more complicated than he is - I kind of enjoy the simplicity of some of the most recent buffs, even if that means they won't be my all-time MVPs - but I was taken aback by how his sig ability is meant to kick in when he's presumably fighting shrug-off champions such as Kingpin and Mole Man (gaining power gain buffs when they shrug off his taunts), yet he has no reasonable way to actually place taunts on them as long as they keep shrugging off his stuns in the first place. I was fairly impressed with how tanky he was vs ROL Winter Soldier, but when I was fighting my 5* Kingpin in Practice Mode, he got absolutely demolished. It was ridiculous. His sig ability had no opportunity to kick in because I was completely unable to place taunts on Kingpin. I was really surprised by that.

As I said in the previous post, I think he would have benefitted from an Apocalypse-style ability to negate purifications. Then he could maybe have gained a power gain buff whenever an opponent fails to purify a taunt. I think that would have made him a great counter to those types of shrug-off champions. As it is right now, he kinda sucks against them despite having a sig that's specifically tailored to kick in when you're fighting those types of champions. It's weird.

As for Yondu, I don't really have an opinion. I like his buff on paper but I haven't been too impressed with the gameplay I've seen on Youtube and I have not had a chance to try him out since I don't have a Yondu ranked up. I kind of wish that his armor up/prowess-stealing would give an offensive benefit as well. Right now, it feels like he could become super tanky in the right kind of fights but still have a very long ramp-up time. I can see how gaining armor up buffs can be useful - Havok comes to mind - but in a different world, I would have loved if his prowess-removal expediated his ramp-up as well.

But I won't discount either buff yet. As I said in my previous comment, certain things really impressed me with the Deadpool buff and I really want to get my hands on a 6*. I'm not quite as keen on Yondu since I already have Nimrod and War Machine as 6*s, but I wouldn't mind giving Yondu a chance to prove himself to me if I ever were to pull him. If nothing else, I think it's a good thing that more champions/buffs are introduced that let you deal with prowess. I think that'll be very valuable for a lot of champions that maybe don't have War Machine or Nimrod.
  • Options
    Kabam MiikeKabam Miike Posts: 8,270
    edited June 2022

Saiyan said:

How does a 2022 champ have such little in there kit?

These are Champs that new Players are more likely to obtain
    You know Deadpool x force is actually rare don't you?

He hasn't been in 5* crystals till 2 months ago. So no. He is not more likely to be obtained. He's in 6* but that's not something newer players are going to get.
    Why are new players getting 5-Stars? We're talking about 2 and 3 Stars, Champs from PHCs and Daily Crystals.
    For the content they're using 2*s and 3*s the prebuff will suffice. He could actually deal damage with his sp2 prebuff. I ranked my 4* back then to do content
    Buffs are not just for Veterans, and they should not be. Sometimes we're going to update Champs to make earlier content easier for new Players. This isn't new, and something we've been doing since the very beginning of the Buff process. I'm not sure why there were such high expectations for Deadpool, but maybe we need to start addressing expectations.
    DrZola said:

Saiyan said:

Deadpool is not a 2022 Champion, he's from 2015. This game continues to get more complex with every month that passes, and while that's to be expected, we do not want to add even more complexity to the early game through Champion updates.

This is why we kept Storm's kit simple, and it's why we did it with Deadpool. These are Champs that new Players are more likely to obtain and use, and we want to keep their kits more simple.
    A clarifying question: why are Storm and DPX more likely to be obtained by early stage players? At this stage, isn’t every champ obtainable at the 5* rarity also obtainable in PHC?

Dr. Zola
    There's a very limited selection of 2-Star Champions available in the PHC, including both Storm and Deadpool X Force. Early progression Daily Crystals also only contain Champions released before X year, with the year increasing as you progress further. Early players are getting Champs from 2014/15 at the start.
  • Options
    Kabam MiikeKabam Miike Posts: 8,270
    edited June 2022
    Primis00 said:

Saiyan said:

He hasn't been in 5* crystals till 2 months ago. So no. He is not more likely to be obtained. He's in 6* but that's not something newer players are going to get.
    Why are new players getting 5-Stars? We're talking about 2 and 3 Stars, Champs from PHCs and Daily Crystals.
    For the content they're using 2*s and 3*s the prebuff will suffice. He could actually deal damage with his sp2 prebuff. I ranked my 4* back then to do content
    Buffs are not just for Veterans, and they should not be. Sometimes we're going to update Champs to make earlier content easier for new Players. This isn't new, and something we've been doing since the very beginning of the Buff process. I'm not sure why there were such high expectations for Deadpool, but
    DrZola said:

Saiyan said:

Deadpool is not a 2022 Champion, he's from 2015. This game continues to get more complex with every month that passes, and while that's to be expected, we do not want to add even more complexity to the early game through Champion updates.

This is why we kept Storm's kit simple, and it's why we did it with Deadpool. These are Champs that new Players are more likely to obtain and use, and we want to keep their kits more simple.
    A clarifying question: why are Storm and DPX more likely to be obtained by early stage players? At this stage, isn’t every champ obtainable at the 5* rarity also obtainable in PHC?

Dr. Zola
    There's a very limited selection of 2-Star Champions available in the PHC, including both Storm and Deadpool X Force. Early progression Daily Crystals also only contain Champions released before X year, with the year increasing as you progress further. Early players are getting Champs from 2014/15 at the start.
    But once again 2 star champions are not used enough to justify this argument. You speak as if 2 star champions are used for over a month at the start but in reality by end of day 1 you can have close to a full team of 3* champions which makes your entire argument invalid as that instantly opens up the world new champions with books in their kit page. A new player will not notice the difference between a very good champion and a bad one, they get trough the content they need to regardless of which champion it is. Balancing champions around act 1 and 2 is not reasonable. They dont need to be balanced around act 7 but an updated champion in 2022 should not have the kit of a 2017 champion regardless of when they were realsed, because then you might aswell keep them unbuffed since the change is so insignificant.
    2 Stars are used for much longer than you're indicating here. This isn't about balancing around Acts 1 and 2, but around the complexity of Champions for new users. New users also aren't only doing Acts 1 and 2. There is a world of Content after that. You cannot apply your advanced and veteran knowledge to a new player.

We are not going to add complexity to the early game through Balance updates. We are not going to make every Champion a top tier Champ through Balance updates. We are going to continue to update champions in a manner that we are comfortable with, and that will include Champions that are both older and newer. Some will get bigger updates than others.
  • Options
    GrandOldKaiGrandOldKai Posts: 787 ★★★★
    Ercarret said:

I have neither at a level where I can really try them out, so my only experience so far is taking my r3 3* DPXF into ROL. In there, I found stuff that I liked and stuff that I didn't like. I already wrote a long post about my conclusions here so I won't go into it too deeply again, but what I can say is that he feels a little incomplete. I don't necessarily think he needs to be more complicated than he is - I kind of enjoy the simplicity of some of the most recent buffs, even if that means they won't be my all-time MVPs - but I was taken aback by how his sig ability is meant to kick in when he's presumably fighting shrug-off champions such as Kingpin and Mole Man (gaining power gain buffs when they shrug off his taunts), yet he has no reasonable way to actually place taunts on them as long as they keep shrugging off his stuns in the first place. I was fairly impressed with how tanky he was vs ROL Winter Soldier, but when I was fighting my 5* Kingpin in Practice Mode, he got absolutely demolished. It was ridiculous. His sig ability had no opportunity to kick in because I was completely unable to place taunts on Kingpin. I was really surprised by that.

As I said in the previous post, I think he would have benefitted from an Apocalypse-style ability to negate purifications. Then he could maybe have gained a power gain buff whenever an opponent fails to purify a taunt. I think that would have made him a great counter to those types of shrug-off champions. As it is right now, he kinda sucks against them despite having a sig that's specifically tailored to kick in when you're fighting those types of champions. It's weird.

As for Yondu, I don't really have an opinion. I like his buff on paper but I haven't been too impressed with the gameplay I've seen on Youtube and I have not had a chance to try him out since I don't have a Yondu ranked up. I kind of wish that his armor up/prowess-stealing would give an offensive benefit as well. Right now, it feels like he could become super tanky in the right kind of fights but still have a very long ramp-up time. I can see how gaining armor up buffs can be useful - Havok comes to mind - but in a different world, I would have loved if his prowess-removal expediated his ramp-up as well.

But I won't discount either buff yet. As I said in my previous comment, certain things really impressed me with the Deadpool buff and I really want to get my hands on a 6*. I'm not quite as keen on Yondu since I already have Nimrod and War Machine as 6*s, but I wouldn't mind giving Yondu a chance to prove himself to me if I ever were to pull him. If nothing else, I think it's a good thing that more champions/buffs are introduced that let you deal with prowess. I think that'll be very valuable for a lot of champions that maybe don't have War Machine or Nimrod.

I feel like because it's Deadpool, his taunts should be passive so you can't just shrug them off.

However, this also serves to make him more annoying on defence (apparently his SP2 is obnoxious now?), so uh...
  • Options
    Yodabolt21Yodabolt21 Posts: 2,538 ★★★★★
    The "complexity" of these buffs are not even remotely accurate with others. You say Yondu and X Force were meant to be "new user friendly". Fine, but their buffs are not going to help new players out at all. Yondu's kit really revolves around the defender throwing specials. New players don't really understand how to "bait" specials and the chance of them successfully dexing a special (at least most of them) are low**. So how does that help.

X Forces kit revolves around "walking" forward to build slap charges. New players stand there and hold bl9ock and go for parry attacks. They don't walk forward into a defender. And if they do, they most certainly will not understand the complexity of letting the charges build up and using a heavy**.

** Please note, I am basing this off of my own experience when I started where I just did basic combos and used specials.

HOWEVER, let's look at some of the "best", "most useful" etc.. buffs.

Kingpin. Simple kit. No real ramp up needed. Basic combos, specials, mix in heavies. Easy, simple and made him a top champ.

Angela. Simple. Basic combos, specials, mix in heavies. Easy, simple, made her a top champ.

Falcon - Simple. Hold block, get recon, go to town. Repeat. Made him a top skill champ

King Groot - Simple. Basic combos, specials, mix in heavies. Made him a top champ (IMO).

Ultron - Simple. Basic combos, specials, mix in heavies. Made him a top tech champ.

Mole Man. Simple. Heavy, heavy, block a hit, go to town, heavies.. Made him a top skill champ.

These are ALL very simple, minor adjustment buffs that benefit ALL summoners. Beginners and veterans alike can use these buffs for MULTIPLE MODES of the game. I could list more, but you get the picture. Do you really think that ANYONE is going to be using Yondu or X-Force in AW, AQ, quests or battlegrounds?

Bottom line - The "buff program" was and still is exciting. Sometimes it is like getting a new champ in our roster that we already have! The fact we haven't had a good or even helpful buff in MONTHS is quite disheartening. You guys have been struggling with inputs, stale content, bugs etc... and the buff program is the one positive that we have to look forward to. You guys have missed the mark over and over now. You have said a few times over the past months that "not every buff is going to be Magneto". NO ONE IS ASKING FOR THAT. No one is asking for a champ that goes from useless to a top 5 champ in the game (at the time). All the buffs I listed above were fantastic, exciting and fresh. The buffs from Feb 21' - August 21' were AMAZING. I would say a 80% success rate. Since then, 25% at best. Miles, Hawkeye and Gamora are really the only ones to write home about. And I am stretching it with Gamora. Even Hawkeye isn't that great, but at least his slow mo mechanic added something new and cool.
  • Options
    MauledMauled Posts: 3,957 Guardian

Primis00 said:

Saiyan said:

Buffs are not just for Veterans, and they should not be. Sometimes we're going to update Champs to make earlier content easier for new Players. This isn't new, and something we've been doing since the very beginning of the Buff process. I'm not sure why there were such high expectations for Deadpool, but
    DrZola said:

Saiyan said:

Dr. Zola
    But once again 2 star champions are not used enough to justify this argument. You speak as if 2 star champions are used for over a month at the start but in reality by end of day 1 you can have close to a full team of 3* champions which makes your entire argument invalid as that instantly opens up the world new champions with books in their kit page. A new player will not notice the difference between a very good champion and a bad one, they get trough the content they need to regardless of which champion it is. Balancing champions around act 1 and 2 is not reasonable. They dont need to be balanced around act 7 but an updated champion in 2022 should not have the kit of a 2017 champion regardless of when they were realsed, because then you might aswell keep them unbuffed since the change is so insignificant.
    2 Stars are used for much longer than you're indicating here. This isn't about balancing around Acts 1 and 2, but around the complexity of Champions for new users. New users also aren't only doing Acts 1 and 2. There is a world of Content after that. You cannot apply your advanced and veteran knowledge to a new player.

We are not going to add complexity to the early game through Balance updates. We are not going to make every Champion a top tier Champ through Balance updates. We are going to continue to update champions in a manner that we are comfortable with, and that will include Champions that are both older and newer. Some will get bigger updates than others.
    The thing that I don’t understand here is the champion acquisition side. In Acts 1-3 there’s no limited pool crystals, and in objectives if there’s any it’s likely to be less than 5, so I don’t really understand the logic in simplifying a champion’s mechanics on the basis that a new player is more likely to pull them. If anything, as an older champion, DPX should have more complex mechanics for his buff as more players will have had time to pull him. DPX also has a very specific rotation to get the best out of him and requires a level of nuance to the mechanics that new players are likely not to have developed yet.

As I said previously, Colossus, Red Hulk, Wolverine are all extremely simple champions to play packed with simple pieces of clear utility that are useful both at the start and end of the game and don’t require a PhD to interpret, DPX is not this.
  • Options
    PapaMidnite007PapaMidnite007 Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    To be honest I am very disappointed with the Deadpool X force buff. Was a useless wet noodle now it's a slightly better flavor.
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,325 ★★★★★
    Mauled said:

MTB_rad said:

Primis00 said:

Saiyan said:

DrZola said:

Saiyan said:

Dr. Zola

I continue to not understand why you, in particular, have such disdain for community feedback and will double-down on misses rather than admit the majority of the player base is not happy with the product you released (Guillotine, anyone?).

Explain to me how you rationalize business decisions and engineering/development time spent that does not have a positive ROI. What are your KPIs for buffs?

Most of the time this all seems very personal for you. It shouldn’t be.
    Makes you wonder if forum feedback ever goes up the chain to designers and the powers that be…
    Oh, it does. Those same designers also pop in when they have time. It's important to note that feedback might be heard, but it's not always the goal of these reworks that they become the next favorite thing. Not that they don't care about what we think, just that there are our goals, and their goals, and they aren't always lined up.
  • Options
    GrandOldKaiGrandOldKai Posts: 787 ★★★★
    I haven't tried Yondu, but trying to state that Deadpool's new kit would appeal to newer players honestly makes me wonder if they actually tested it.
    Because those mechanics are not friendly to new players, at all
  • Options
    KnightNvrEndingKnightNvrEnding Posts: 446 ★★★
    I’m loving the Yondu buff has a lot going for him(though somewhat situational)
    DPX tho…animations are cool and that’s it basically lol so many “keep it simple” things ignored for THIS lol
  • Options
    PolygonPolygon Posts: 3,906 ★★★★★

Primis00 said:

Saiyan said:

DrZola said:

Saiyan said:

Dr. Zola

So you’re telling us that a champ that was hinted at being buffed several months ago, was meant for NEW players to get excited about?

And these new players are going to get through content more easily with learning how to skip to build up to a super slap that does subpar damage…. Especially since a vast majority of new players won’t have Deep Wounds unlocked.

This buff makes zero sense based on your responses. In a few months time, I’m sure data will show new players haven’t used him much at all. And certainly other players won’t be using him since this buff wasn’t intended for the content they are at.

Lastly, if the buff/rework program is changing towards a buff/rework for end game content and newer players, then that should be announced ahead of time. You all have scaled back buffs and reworks to make the buffed champs worth while. Considering all that, this buff is a failure.

Kudos on the animations though. If only the rest of the buff was up to par.
    @Kabam Miike Listen to this man, he r4ed his x force , who may be worse than Groot at this point before ,before it was realized the buff was purely for just animations