Ban Wiccan from Battlegrounds Until He is Fixed

DalBotDalBot Member Posts: 1,632 ★★★★★
edited January 2023 in Suggestions and Requests
Title says it all. It sucks having to perma-block a mediocre champ because the game crashes every time you fight him. Garbage move to leave such a broken mechanism in the game
Post edited by Kabam Zanzibar on

Comments

• Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Member Posts: 13,933 ★★★★★
    Specific champions crashing the game on specific devices are something that happened all the time. On my previous device, there were around ~15 champions who could crash the game at the time, and some more than the others. I once had to restart dozens of times just to level up one of them, because the game would constantly crash when I returned to the screen after claiming the iso-8.

Having said that, the issue persisted for something around 3 years. Reported multiple times, never ended up being fixed. I wouldn't expect this one to be
  • DalBotDalBot Member Posts: 1,632 ★★★★★

Specific champions crashing the game on specific devices are something that happened all the time. On my previous device, there were around ~15 champions who could crash the game at the time, and some more than the others. I once had to restart dozens of times just to level up one of them, because the game would constantly crash when I returned to the screen after claiming the iso-8.

Having said that, the issue persisted for something around 3 years. Reported multiple times, never ended up being fixed. I wouldn't expect this one to be

Difference is it wasn't in a head to head mode that blocks so many people from being able to progress based on skill.

I ban him every time but it sucks having to waste a ban based on a glitch that is known and is inherent to literally thousands of iPhone users. It puts the opponent at an immediate measurable disadvantage since we only get three bans.

It really shouldn't be that difficult for Kabam to block his ability to be put in to battledecks at all.
    MiniMF said:

If u keep crashing against wiccan just ban him ?

So just accept that we functionally have two bans while all opponents still have three? A better solution is for Kabam to block his ability to be added to decks until he is fixed
    edited January 2023

Disagree. He

DalBot said:

Title says it all. It sucks having to perma-block a mediocre champ because the game crashes every time you fight him. Garbage move to leave such a broken mechanism in the game

Disagree. He isn't mediocre.

He is a pretty good champ but he would be a mediocre BG defender if not for the glitch. At high levels nobody would be banning him if he functioned as intended.
  • XxLoOhNuTiCkxXXxLoOhNuTiCkxX Member Posts: 68
    This takes me back to when I had a **** Android that would make using Darkhawk's SP3 mode impossible to play due to the lag. Couldn't even r5 him because he'd always crash the game.
  • ChatterofforumsChatterofforums Member Posts: 1,779 ★★★★★
    DalBot said:

MiniMF said:

So just accept that we functionally have two bans while all opponents still have three? A better solution is for Kabam to block his ability to be added to decks until he is fixed
    It's sounds like this is a device speyissie that most likely isn't effecting many people. If your device is unfortunately among those with the issue, then it's still a you issue and just use a ban on him. They aren't going to reinvent the dynamics of a champ for one specific phone having issues.
  • World EaterWorld Eater Member Posts: 3,694 ★★★★★
    Has crashed for me also when fighting Wiccan. It’s been reported on the forums recently but ignored .
  • DrZolaDrZola Member Posts: 8,893 ★★★★★
    More interested why a specific champ causes problems on certain types of phones. Dialing up @DNA3000 on this one…

Dr. Zola

DalBot said:

MiniMF said:

It's sounds like this is a device speyissie that most likely isn't effecting many people. If your device is unfortunately among those with the issue, then it's still a you issue and just use a ban on him. They aren't going to reinvent the dynamics of a champ for one specific phone having issues.
    Being that my device is an iPhone 13 Pro it seems like it would likely be a pretty big concern since it's not exactly a niche phone 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Eb0ny-O-M4wEb0ny-O-M4w Member Posts: 13,933 ★★★★★
    DalBot said:

Difference is it wasn't in a head to head mode that blocks so many people from being able to progress based on skill.

It happened everywhere. Either be when viewing the champion screen or in battles. Roadblocked me from progressing in story mode, event quests, arenas, labyrinth, etc.
  • StorminhuStorminhu Member Posts: 19
    DalBot said:

DalBot said:

MiniMF said:

Being that my device is an iPhone 13 Pro it seems like it would likely be a pretty big concern since it's not exactly a niche phone 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Why is it only your iphone and not the rest who got the same phone?
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,301 Guardian
    DrZola said:

More interested why a specific champ causes problems on certain types of phones. Dialing up @DNA3000 on this one…

Dr. Zola

Race condition. Its always race conditions.

Seriously, when something tends to break on either certain hardware or certain software configurations, but not in general, the two most often causes of that sort of problem are either a race condition - where the software was written on the assumption that two different events will always happen in a particular order, but in rare cases it can happen in a different order (keep in mind: multiple CPU cores and multiple execution threads means it isn't hard for the order of things to sometimes happen differently than designed) - and resource contention, where the software has a hidden dependency for certain resources to be available at a very specific moment, and in certain rare hardware/software configurations those resources happen to not be available, whereupon the software barfs.

I saw a problem years ago where two different platforms running almost identical software had a situation where a server process was crashing on one and not the other, and the problem was traced to the fact that while both had the same amount of memory, that memory was getting more fragmented on one of the platforms due to some very minor differences in execution, and that fragmentation ended up causing that platform to run into a problem the other wasn't seeing. Even though they had the same amount of memory and was using the same amount of memory, *how* they were using it was slightly different, and that's all it took.

Insert mobile-phones-are-very-complex-things speech here.

There's generally some fundamental bug that causes this, but because bugs are often addressed by seeing them and then fixing them (i.e. debug by compiler, debug by customer) when a bug is hidden by the fact the software coincidentally works with the bug most of the time, it can be very difficult to find and fix.
  • MiniMFMiniMF Member Posts: 848 ★★★★
    DalBot said:

MiniMF said:

No but instead of crying, you have a temporary solution, so you can actually provide infos in a good way instead of doing another complaining post.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,487 ★★★★★
    If you were playing smart, you'd consider banning him anyway, seeing as how he's effective this Season. So you're not really losing a Ban.
    MiniMF said:

DalBot said:

MiniMF said:

No but instead of crying, you have a temporary solution, so you can actually provide infos in a good way instead of doing another complaining post.
    Fun fact: people have been complaining about this problem for months with no steps given to us to make us believe it's actually being addressed, meanwhile many of us are at a disadvantage because of this error in game design.

But sure, I'm being irrational here 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Pseudo_19Pseudo_19 Member Posts: 396 ★★
    I haven’t had Wiccan crash my game since the first month he was released. But neutralize is broken right now so he’s insane for attack in BG’s. Neutralize is stopping the chitin armor counter from resetting after ten so tigra and rintrah get screwed the second neutralize ends. Wiccan can keep up his neutralize the entire fight fairly easy and every single hit after 10 hits will cause and armor up buff to fail, which means an incinerate with every hit.
  • 13579rebel_13579rebel_ Member Posts: 2,714 ★★★★★
    He's not mediocre
  • OakenshieldOakenshield Member Posts: 2,085 ★★★★
    Jaded said:

He doesn’t do that to my phone and I just used a generic gem on him. So no permanent ban mmkay

@Jaded admittedly off topic, but you must really like Wiccan to have used a generic on him! From everything I’ve seen it looks like his awakened ability is definitely nice to have but hadn’t viewed it as gem worthy.
  • JadedJaded Member Posts: 5,477 ★★★★★

Jaded said:

He doesn’t do that to my phone and I just used a generic gem on him. So no permanent ban mmkay

@Jaded admittedly off topic, but you must really like Wiccan to have used a generic on him! From everything I’ve seen it looks like his awakened ability is definitely nice to have but hadn’t viewed it as gem worthy.
    I see his awakening as something that could be helpful against shock immune defenders in battlegrounds. Like doom and thing. His neutralize stops thing from getting unstoppable, with awakening it will also degen him instead of shock. Similarly with doom, no shock but wiccan will then degen him. My aim was “how many defenders can wiccan take not awakened? Then how many can he take awakened?” So with him awakened my deck is more equipped for the long run.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,487 ★★★★★
    Jaded said:

Jaded said:

I see his awakening as something that could be helpful against shock immune defenders in battlegrounds. Like doom and thing. His neutralize stops thing from getting unstoppable, with awakening it will also degen him instead of shock. Similarly with doom, no shock but wiccan will then degen him. My aim was “how many defenders can wiccan take not awakened? Then how many can he take awakened?” So with him awakened my deck is more equipped for the long run.
    Interesting. I'm sitting on a Gem. I'm debating between him, Hulkling, Herc, Rintrah, and a few others.
  • OakenshieldOakenshield Member Posts: 2,085 ★★★★
    Jaded said:

Jaded said:

Thanks @Jaded - helpful perspective.
  • PapaMidnite007PapaMidnite007 Member Posts: 1,622 ★★★★
    I use Archangel and Wiccan gets melted
  • DrZolaDrZola Member Posts: 8,893 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DrZola said:

Dr. Zola

Race condition. Its always race conditions.

Seriously, when something tends to break on either certain hardware or certain software configurations, but not in general, the two most often causes of that sort of problem are either a race condition - where the software was written on the assumption that two different events will always happen in a particular order, but in rare cases it can happen in a different order (keep in mind: multiple CPU cores and multiple execution threads means it isn't hard for the order of things to sometimes happen differently than designed) - and resource contention, where the software has a hidden dependency for certain resources to be available at a very specific moment, and in certain rare hardware/software configurations those resources happen to not be available, whereupon the software barfs.

I saw a problem years ago where two different platforms running almost identical software had a situation where a server process was crashing on one and not the other, and the problem was traced to the fact that while both had the same amount of memory, that memory was getting more fragmented on one of the platforms due to some very minor differences in execution, and that fragmentation ended up causing that platform to run into a problem the other wasn't seeing. Even though they had the same amount of memory and was using the same amount of memory, *how* they were using it was slightly different, and that's all it took.

Insert mobile-phones-are-very-complex-things speech here.

There's generally some fundamental bug that causes this, but because bugs are often addressed by seeing them and then fixing them (i.e. debug by compiler, debug by customer) when a bug is hidden by the fact the software coincidentally works with the bug most of the time, it can be very difficult to find and fix.
    Informative and interesting. Thank you.

Dr. Zola
  • JadedJaded Member Posts: 5,477 ★★★★★

Jaded said:

Jaded said:

Interesting. I'm sitting on a Gem. I'm debating between him, Hulkling, Herc, Rintrah, and a few others.
    For me it made sense, I have more then one generic and have all those top dogs awakened.