**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Battlegrounds matchmaking

Im currently at platinum I in battlegrounds and i cannot for the life of me find a single fight that is fair. Im cavalier and keep getting matched up with paragon players or players with less developed rosters.

How is it possible to even face someone with a legend title and multiple rank 5 6* when you have at max 2 rank 3 6* champs?

Comments

• Options
    Ironman3000Ironman3000 Posts: 1,919 ★★★★★
    Booooooooo!
  • Options
    TheVolTheVol Posts: 37
    TheVol said:

Pikok said:

You are in same bracket. What is not fair here? Why you think it would be fair to pair you with persons only same strength as you or lower?

It would be fine if they had the odd couple champions at rank 4 but im dealing with people who have 7 stars and rank 5 6*. I dont believe any cavalier player has the roster to take on any paragon :'(
    *competent paragon
  • Options
    StatureStature Posts: 423 ★★★

Why do you deserve to avoid top accounts and earn the same rewards as people who don't get to avoid them?

Didn't you just go 12-0 stomping on easy accounts? Those accounts don't have access to the same rewards as you do if they had won. Their tokens get them a fraction of what you can acquire with yours.

It's perfectly ok if you want to speed-run to GC on the back of easy wins (much easier than the ones you complain about, since you have a roster advantage as well). That's what the game is now, and tactically you should exploit it to the best of your ability.

I understand why you want to hide behind the "same rewards" defense, without which there won't be much justification for the match-ups. You need the small accounts to keep playing, so that you can get tokens to keep strengthening. But you also need to keep them from strengthening or else you won't have your easy matches anymore, so obviously rewards need to be gated by progression (only rewards though, matches need to be random to preserve the sanctity of competition).
  • Options
    QacobQacob Posts: 2,253 ★★★★★

It's like Everton complaining they have to play Man City.
    Same league = can play everyone.

@SpideyFunko
  • Options
    winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,795 ★★★★★

TB and can't get out of Gold III. :D:|:(

Gold II now. B)
  • Options
    xNig said:

Stature said:

Why do you deserve to avoid top accounts and earn the same rewards as people who don't get to avoid them?

Didn't you just go 12-0 stomping on easy accounts? Those accounts don't have access to the same rewards as you do if they had won. Their tokens get them a fraction of what you can acquire with yours.

It's perfectly ok if you want to speed-run to GC on the back of easy wins (much easier than the ones you complain about, since you have a roster advantage as well). That's what the game is now, and tactically you should exploit it to the best of your ability.

I understand why you want to hide behind the "same rewards" defense, without which there won't be much justification for the match-ups. You need the small accounts to keep playing, so that you can get tokens to keep strengthening. But you also need to keep them from strengthening or else you won't have your easy matches anymore, so obviously rewards need to be gated by progression (only rewards though, matches need to be random to preserve the sanctity of competition).
    You should be able to match with anyone if you’re competing for the same rewards.

They aren't competing for the same rewards.
  • Options
    Markjv81Markjv81 Posts: 1,003 ★★★★
    Just do solo milestones for a week or so, your matches will become easier as time in the season progresses.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    DNA3000 said:

Stature said:

The "justification" for the match ups is that BG is a competition, and in a competition everyone should face everyone else. Period. This means everyone should be exposed to everyone else. Stronger rosters will tend to see weaker competition not because we're handing them weaker competition, but simply because compared to everyone else they are stronger than most everyone else. That's *intentional* - that['s the advantage of having strong roster. If your roster is stronger on average, your match ups will be lower on a relative basis.

No one sits around "justifying" these kinds of match ups, because it doesn't occur to most people to have to justify them. In any open competition, I expect to potentially face anyone and everyone else in that same competition. If anyone is judging anyone else to be qualified or not qualified to face me, I presume that we're going to be placed into completely different competitions.

And to be frank, after 35 years plus of studying game design and after playing dozens of online games of all kinds, this is actually the first time I'm having these sort of conversations. The notion that anyone has to "prove" that open competitions are not intrinsically unfair is something that I find completely bizarre. I'm not unaware of that fact that they can, in many circumstances, be frustrating to experience, but actually unfair? That's just crazy.
    I'm fine with the match-ups. I understand this is a champion acquisition game and rooster/time spent in the game provides an inherent advantage in all game modes.

I disagree with the statement that the rewards are same. Those accounts that are being crushed wouldn't have access to the same rewards even if they won. An open competition using an arbitrary external factor, beyond the performance in the competition, to determine the rewards is unusual. In another thread you had pointed out the difference in budgets between Mets and A's - but if A's win they don't get paid on the basis of their budget. Everyone gets the same rewards for winning in an open competition.

The unfairness arises from the fact that even if the lower progression accounts manage to win their progression is stunted by limiting what resources they can acquire with their tokens. The BG store consistently widens the gap between winning lower progression accounts and losing higher progression accounts - that's hardly an open competition.

You are very selective by applying the open competition rule only for match-ups and then ignoring that the rewards are then filtered again by progression.
  • Options
    I feel like the only people disagreeing are the paragon players who benefit off the free wins xD
  • Options

TheVol said:

I feel like the only people disagreeing are the players who understand that this is the fairest matchmaking method

Fixed it for you.

The thing you need to remember is that competition type game modes in any game that require multiple wins in a row can’t also have matchmaking conditions that try to get everyone to a 50% win rate.
    Ah so basically take out the competitive aspect of battlegrounds for paragons by matching them with my 700k rated account. Sound lad !
  • Options
    DNA3000 said:

TheVol said:

I feel like the only people disagreeing are the players who understand that this is the fairest matchmaking method

Fixed it for you.

The thing you need to remember is that competition type game modes in any game that require multiple wins in a row can’t also have matchmaking conditions that try to get everyone to a 50% win rate.
    No single competition can have as a match goal everyone get "even" matches. Because then the winners are essentially chosen by coin flip.

VT is a competition ladder. The competition should get stronger the higher you go, and thus it should be harder for players to climb it the higher they go.

As it is, the fact that the devs compromise and allow roster strength matching in lower VT tiers and then relax that requirement in the higher tiers creates so strong of a distortion to what a proper competition ladder should look like that at the moment the competition gets arguably *weaker* at higher tiers, because strong rosters are getting trapped low while strong players are leaving VT for GC, depleting the high tiers of strong rosters or strong skill players.

This kind of competitive inversion is the signal that roster matching is completely broken. It might be an acceptable compromise at lower tiers, but the fact that it distorts competition this incredibly says everything about how "fair" it is to the competitors. In a fair competition the weaker players would be at the bottom and the stronger players would be near the top. Any match system that doesn't generate that result is arbitrarily allowing weaker players to rise higher than would be normal while arbitrarily penalizing stronger players and holding them lower than would be normal. We can actually see with our eyeballs how the two match systems work because we can see them side by side. Its very obvious which one is acting unfairly in terms of how it is sorting players.

In effect, the "easy" matches that Paragon players are getting in the high VT tiers is the payback the system is giving them for suffering through harder than proper matches in the lower tiers. In a perfectly fair match system they would be seeing easier matches in the lower tiers and harder matches in the upper tiers. They aren't getting an easy ride, they are just seeing the reverse.
    I guess the f2p experience is gonna be as hard as ever
  • Options
    How do you not see the contradiction between these two statements
    DNA3000 said:

Everyone in BG is competing for the same rewards.

DNA3000 said:

....trying to determine whether the basket of resources that a lower progression player can buy has the same relative value to a player of that progression as the basket of resources that a higher progression player can buy has to their own progression tier.

They are not the same rewards, if you have to create a complex, relative value calculation to semi-prove that point.

If the intent is to have an open competition, then have an open store. Anyway the lower strength accounts are not going to win enough to purchase anything material from the store.
  • Options
    CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    Stature said:

How do you not see the contradiction between these two statements

DNA3000 said:

Everyone in BG is competing for the same rewards.

DNA3000 said:

....trying to determine whether the basket of resources that a lower progression player can buy has the same relative value to a player of that progression as the basket of resources that a higher progression player can buy has to their own progression tier.

They are not the same rewards, if you have to create a complex, relative value calculation to semi-prove that point.

If the intent is to have an open competition, then have an open store. Anyway the lower strength accounts are not going to win enough to purchase anything material from the store.
    They are the same, the trophy store might not be the same in your argument...
    The argument can be well Paragon players get 6* shards cheap... For those 16-17k 6* shards are underwhelming.
    Also there is another aspect of the the rewards as you climb up.. and that's elder marks as rewards ..
    Solo/Alliance rewards are gained by getting points.. if players are stuck they have to buy them or use energy (at 20% point rate)...
    We can say that UC/Cav should get less points for elder mark use .. that would make the reward not being the same fair...