A (long format) scrub enters the Necropolis

Comments

• OrtounOrtoun Member Posts: 772 ★★★
    Since you had mentioned that BP isn't a viable choice of relic for Aegon, would you recommend Valk or BW as the better option? It doesn't seem like you spent a lot of time hitting into block, and Aegon does have DAA reduction once his combo is high enough, would think BW would be the obvious choice. But I could be missing something that would tilt the scales the other way.
  • Grootman1294Grootman1294 Member Posts: 897 ★★★★
    Glad I could help @DrZola , hope your pulls were good
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Member Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    Where exactly can I find this Necropolis bundle? Or is it over?
  • DrZolaDrZola Member Posts: 8,926 ★★★★★

Where exactly can I find this Necropolis bundle? Or is it over?

Potions bundle? It was a few days ago.

Dr. Zola
  • Asim38Asim38 Member Posts: 152 ★★
    I enjoyed reading this. This was fun read. I am in the same boat as you @DNA3000 . Never did any long form content but have explored all acts. But I would consider myself a scrub compared to you lol. I don't think I am in the top 10% of the game. Going to wait until after cyber weekend but my estimate with a similar team but an R5 ascended Aegon would be the same number of revives as you lol. Congrats on getting that 6 star Maestro!
  • Giantwalrus56Giantwalrus56 Member Posts: 930 ★★★★
    edited November 2023
    DNA3000 said:

Old Man Zola power scooters his way to victory!

First off, congrats on your completed journey. That said, thank you for this write-up. The similarities between myself & thevway you describe your game skill seem almost uncanny. I went back & 100% act 7, basically for the generic stones(for aegon) & post cyber weekend have decided that I will taking him to r5, rather than staying @r4. Again, really appreciate you documenting your journey & also, giving me the final push I needed to jump in to what seems a rewarding, yet mightily daunting trip...

Crcrcrc said:

You recommended not doing the bp relic bc of the physical vulnerability problem, what if you just slot something else into that slot so you can keep the rest of the relic benefits?

That seemed to work for some fights for me, while for others I felt like the callout didn’t appear. I changed the rune to Adaptive Targeting, but I seemed to miss a couple of GM callouts and in one other fight (Psycho) some of the callouts didn’t show up.

Was it game-breaking? Ummm, sure. Especially in the GM reverse controls phase—Kabam should totally give me my revives back 😏

Dr. Zola
  • psp742psp742 Member Posts: 2,540 ★★★★
    I guess the reward is for Paragon or Valiant players only.. it would be awesome if everyone gets something.. since only Paragon can do the Necropolis.
  • psp742psp742 Member Posts: 2,540 ★★★★
    It's going to be a long while before I can reach paragon or Valiant.. hope platinum track has another 7* champion as a bonus.. not really into long form content.. but I guess I will push for paragon.. 😆 🤣 😂 😹

I'm old too so playing longer is harder for me..

Hope everyone pulls awesome 7* champions from their 7* champion crystal.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,359 Guardian
    psp742 said:

I guess the reward is for Paragon or Valiant players only.. it would be awesome if everyone gets something.. since only Paragon can do the Necropolis.

Yes, and no. Sure, it’s always nice when everyone can get in on the action, but if everyone can always get in on the action there’s nothing special about end game content. Part of the special nature of end game content is its exclusivity, not in terms of being restricted to only a small amount of players but rather having a high hurdle for everyone to overcome.

Anyone can do Necropolis. Someone joining the game today can do it, they are just extremely unlikely to be doing it now.

Road to the Crypt is a special thing specifically targeting those making Necropolis runs. If everyone got the rewards, those rewards would not be providing any incentive to attempt the content.
  • AverageDesiAverageDesi Member Posts: 5,260 ★★★★★
    One thing I learned is not to be too scared of Airwalker healing. I used R1 Wiccan and ended up taking 30-40% even when he healed 2 times. I'm assuming despair had a part to play though. But I do know for sure he healed around 5% omce
  • GladsGlads Member Posts: 426 ★★★
    I think my take on things and like you never done this end game content as that is what it is, 3 to 4 hrs a run from those I have spoken too.
    Considering the rewards which are good these are progression rewards not end game. As kabam mike said it will be too hard for many etc. Maestro was a good reward, the rank up gems probably should be included in end game content.
    Many will disagree with me, that's ok
    @DNA3000

As we’ve discussed before, I tend to hate long form content if for no other reason than that I find it boring and I get distracted. I haven’t Abyssed or Labyrinthed and don’t plan to ever do so. Heck, I haven’t even done RoL with 3* Aegon.

Necropolis was actually enjoyable. Part of that was mental prep—I studied your notes and @Grootman1294 notes, watched @BrianGrant and @Seatin and others, so I had built up a level of expectation and had “pacers” so to speak for my performance.

It also helped to break down the path into digestible pieces. My only *bad* fight would have been GM, and a lot of that is a result of not studying up and reminding myself of his moveset and the icons and callouts. Impatience…

New tactics will emerge, but so will new champs. One mate did the same path yesterday with Kate, Knull and Shuri, soloing or one-reviving 8 of the defenders on the path. I lucked into a 6* Kushala, and I wonder whether she would work as an ascended R5. Who knows? But I’m sure other solitions will soon exist, even if for only a couple of defenders, and I can wait for the CCs to figure that out for me.

Last note: if I could give 5 simple suggestions to someone wanting to start, I’d say this:

1) Build your stash—pots and boosts. Seriously, no matter how good you think you are.
    2) Know your main attacker very well, whether it’s Shuri, Aegon or Kate. This is not the place to learn a champ. If you use Aegon, don’t get started until you can reliably bank 100-hit combos on Titania. If Kate, master the dialed-in timing very very well. If Shuri, know her mechanics backwards and forwards. Don’t get going until you’re able to nail the first fight.
    3) Learn the lane and watch a few videos. That minimizes unpleasant surprises. Don’t assume you can figure it out.
    4) Restart your game and/or phone every fight or two. Fighting tough content and frame stutter and lag can be difficult.
    5) Relax and take your time. Make liberal use of restarts. Don’t be afraid to take a half-health penalty if you get started the worst possible way. Go outside and look at trees and clouds to rest your eyes.

Dr. Zola
  • ReignkingTWReignkingTW Member Posts: 2,774 ★★★★★
    3 of the toughest fights are cosmic. I think when I do this I'll swap out Nick for a mystic. I think someone mentioned that Lagacy was using Abs man.
  • Bugmat78Bugmat78 Member Posts: 2,354 ★★★★★
    Ortoun said:

Since you had mentioned that BP isn't a viable choice of relic for Aegon, would you recommend Valk or BW as the better option? It doesn't seem like you spent a lot of time hitting into block, and Aegon does have DAA reduction once his combo is high enough, would think BW would be the obvious choice. But I could be missing something that would tilt the scales the other way.

BW relic helps - that's what I used aegon. One of the runes is to reduce defensive AAR when it ativates.
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Member Posts: 1,941 ★★★★★
    psp742 said:

Why should people who didn't complete the Necro get the rewards? THat makes zero sense.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Member, Guardian Posts: 19,359 Guardian
    For everyone wondering just how odd this kind of run is, I asked Kabam if they could tell me if I was the slowest completion of Necropolis so far.

Nope. I wasn't even close. Apparently in terms of total run time, which means total time elapsed from the moment I entered Necropolis until the GM went down, which for me was about 64 hours, puts me currently in 152nd place. In other words, 151 players have already taken longer than I have. There's probably people in there now with longer run times that just haven't finished yet. They are probably orbiting near an event horizon like in Interstellar, but they are doing it.

So this is not a common thing, but this is also not an unheard of thing either. If you're out there and thinking you want to give Necropolis a try, but you don't think you can do it all in one go, but you also feel a little weird about spreading out the Necropolis over a week or more, don't feel bad. There's a bunch of people who simultaneously were crazy enough to tackle Necropolis in the first week, but also were willing to pace themselves across a period of several days. And I wasn't even close to being the slowest of them.

You can be excited about the content and want to do it, but also have time, physicality, or other constraints that compel you to actually do the content a piece at a time. Necropolis is not just for the absolute strongest players, although you do have to legitimately be an end game caliber player (it is end game content after all), and you don't have to be the kind of player that can blitz the content out in a couple hours. You just need to want to rise up to the challenge, manage resources carefully, study the fights, assemble the right team for your skill level, and then just bite the bullet and go for it.

Failure is an option, but it is not the only option for people like us. If you can take down things like Eternity of Pain, but things like Labyrinth and Abyss just seemed too daunting due to length, you're not alone, and you're also not locked out of Necropolis. Pace yourself, and it can be done, and there are more players doing it this way than you might think.

Also, we need about four million more deaths in there, so if you think you're not MSD-caliber, that's also fine. We need more like you in there. Get started.
  • altavistaaltavista Member Posts: 1,408 ★★★★

One thing I learned is not to be too scared of Airwalker healing. I used R1 Wiccan and ended up taking 30-40% even when he healed 2 times. I'm assuming despair had a part to play though. But I do know for sure he healed around 5% omce

Looking at the node, does Neutralize do anything here? Did you have a particular rotation with Wiccan?
  • jdschwjdschw Member Posts: 372 ★★★
    @DNA3000 sorry for the dumb question, but how did you build so many revives in your stash? I do the apothecary and daily challenges every day but that's only a max of 14 each in stash (1/day each).

Did you farm revives somewhere? Or just get them from oodles of free crystals?