Early Look: New Alliance Wars Maps - Discussion Thread

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,501 ★★★★★

I’ve posted a few times on other threads but until anything changes this garbage wars state of affairs I’m challenging everyone to just place garbage defenders in the off season. Let’s see how many guys can place defenders consisting of entirely Groot or DD, everyone has those garbage pulls they don’t use. Being able to view your roster by collections now and alphabetically makes it even easier, for example I’ve got 2* to 5* Groot plus 6* DD

How does that help anything?
    My alliance is stressed out by this new war season Map. We’re having fun with it to try and keep the group together and avoid rage quits. That’s how it helps. It’s a silent protest also as we’ve seen boycotts don’t work. No one playing us will be forced to spend to clear the map which obviously was their intention in making this forced change so thereby defeats the purpose.

If everyone did this during season proper it would also surely have an effect on the Kabam coffers which is ultimately all they care about. As they don’t listen to the community and player base it seems
    We've seen that come and fail. 2* Wars, Tanking, etc. It's not a solution to anything, and it creates more problems. If you're stressed, then play stress-free. You don't need to dummy the Defense to do that. You just don't stress out or go hard. Lol.
    If you're having issues, it's more effective to communicate that than mess with the system. If you're that bothered, don't play it. I'm willing to bet they're taking in the feedback and looking at the data, so it's really not going to solve anything to do that. Just my two cents.
    Not to mention, that's not a protest so much as it sabotages the data so they can't see much of anything.
  • synergy247synergy247 Member Posts: 306
    Also, I would judge by the amount of alliances that skip war entirely in off season would also provide some data... if everyone does choose to give it a try like we did initially, can basically just do as much as they can and then just stop when KO’d.

Our alliance had some really heavy hitters and they are getting KO’d on very early nodes, which is the yardstick I measure by in terms of difficulty level. Guys who could clear whole paths with no deaths too.

Also, I would judge by the amount of alliances that skip war entirely in off season would also provide some data... if everyone does choose to give it a try like we did initially, can basically just do as much as they can and then just stop when KO’d.

Our alliance had some really heavy hitters and they are getting KO’d on very early nodes, which is the yardstick I measure by in terms of difficulty level. Guys who could clear whole paths with no deaths too.

Sitting it out doesn't say much of anything. If they need to adjust it or scale it back, having no data to go on is pretty useless.
  • MadcatMadcat Member Posts: 385 ★★★

Sitting it out doesn't say much of anything. If they need to adjust it or scale it back, having no data to go on is pretty useless.
    No. Sitting out tells them they will get NOTHING. If people participate, it gives them hope that people will spend.

Dude, say there are 800 alliances, all playing competively. Then all of a sudden there’s a huge drop to say 200 or even nil. Don’t you think that in and of itself would indicate a problem?

They didn’t listen to the beta feedback which has led to this sorry state of affairs

Did I dispute the feedback people are giving? No. I said throwing Matches isn't a solution.

Bro where did I suggest you were disputing feedback? I’m simply asking have you personally tried the new maps to gauge the tough nodes? And if so have any feedback to give on the difficulty?
    You're deflecting my comment with experience.
    Lol you’re deflecting my question with a comment. Ok so if this isn’t a solution, what do you suggest? I’ve tried the new war map and so has my alliance and no one is happy.

So now that I’ve answered your question/comment, care to answer mine? If informed feedback is indeed the way to go.
    Give your experience here. That's the solution. What did you and your Members have issues with? What were the problems? That's how you offer feedback. If you're just going to assume they're not listening and Tank, that's not really helping much.
    I’ve already commented on node 10 the aegis node, and plenty of others have also, plus there inverted controls and the unstoppable buffs etc etc
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Member Posts: 8,672 ★★★★★

I’ve posted a few times on other threads but until anything changes this garbage wars state of affairs I’m challenging everyone to just place garbage defenders in the off season. Let’s see how many guys can place defenders consisting of entirely Groot or DD, everyone has those garbage pulls they don’t use. Being able to view your roster by collections now and alphabetically makes it even easier, for example I’ve got 2* to 5* Groot plus 6* DD

Honestly I think it would be more helpful to place regular defenders so they can see that people are struggling more than they anticipated. I suppose if everyone started placing 2*s that would have an effect also but that's really hard to accomplish. I thought all along that the update would turn out to be too much and that they would have to scale it back but we'll see.

I’ve already commented on node 10 the aegis node, and plenty of others have also, plus there inverted controls and the unstoppable buffs etc etc

Ok, then give it time. They just went live and it's the weekend, nothing will come that quickly. Lol.

Ok, then give it time. They just went live and it's the weekend, nothing will come that quickly. Lol.
    Cool. So what nodes have you tried and had trouble with in the new war map?
  • LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Member Posts: 8,672 ★★★★★
    Meant to respond to the previous post, not GW's reply.

Honestly I think it would be more helpful to place regular defenders so they can see that people are struggling more than they anticipated. I suppose if everyone started placing 2*s that would have an effect also but that's really hard to accomplish. I thought all along that the update would turn out to be too much and that they would have to scale it back but we'll see.
    We've seen in the past how that helps nothing. They have the data, they have the feedback here. 2* Wars lasted about a minute. Tanking led to other measures for Matchmaking. Compounding issues by taking things into our own hands never works. That's my point.
    edited June 2019
    We haven’t got all 2* defenders. But someone made the point on another thread re: the aegis node that even a 2* defender won’t take damage on the aegis node until all 9 charges are removed. So let’s see if I place a 2* defender on that node, I bet that he will get a kill just from timing out alone lol. Or a crappy 6* defender will likely get kills too just from the health pool and timeout.

We will prob go back to our normal full participation the next war if people are keen but right now we’re having more fun doing this lol. And it is meant to be a fun game after all. Rather let guys use their champs in event quests etc and dial it down for off season. After a certain amount of time beating your heads against a brick wall when no one is listening everyone needs to take a break from it
    I honestly don't know what the solution is. I don't know what their vision is for Season 11, and this Map is in tandem with that. Albeit released beforehand. I don't know if it's a matter of adjusting some of the Nodes, if it's a matter of people growing into it, if the Rewards coming in Season 11 are why it's amped up, I just don't know. On the surface, what seems more prudent would be to hold off on the new Map until people have adjusted to Defense Tactics. That's just my bipartisan view. We will have to see more info. What I do know is they'll be in this week, probably have been in this weekend off and on, and they will see the feedback. It's just a hurry up and wait situation at the moment.
  • plpkokplpkok Member Posts: 152
    I enjoy a good debate and argument as much as the next. That being said, if instead of people attacking each other, they focused on what the topic happens to be at that time, it would be of benefit to the community.

I honestly don't know what the solution is. I don't know what their vision is for Season 11, and this Map is in tandem with that. Albeit released beforehand. I don't know if it's a matter of adjusting some of the Nodes, if it's a matter of people growing into it, if the Rewards coming in Season 11 are why it's amped up, I just don't know. On the surface, what seems more prudent would be to hold off on the new Map until people have adjusted to Defense Tactics. That's just my bipartisan view. We will have to see more info. What I do know is they'll be in this week, probably have been in this weekend off and on, and they will see the feedback. It's just a hurry up and wait situation at the moment.

Ok then my advice to you would be to have your alliance trial a war at tier 3/4 with the new map and give it your best shot. Try some of the nodes and then come back and report some feedback on your experience and others in the alliance.

30 guys saying the same thing will count more. Either a full rollback like they did after a season of global buffs like bleed immunity or a major full scale adjustment to the entire map level of difficulty. It’s just ludicrous
  • AnkalagonnAnkalagonn Member Posts: 535 ★★
    bb_81 said:

on a more lighter note, this new AW map and nodes are gonna help extend my alliance's streak of not being in an AW since Feb 2019. AW is way overrated, with poor returns for your hard work, time and effort. AQ is where it's at, of course this is just my humble opinion, a sentiment my ally mates and i fortunately share cheers ;)

Makes sense. It's not worthy the effort for AW, for such poor diminished return of investment
  • TomBrady12TomBrady12 Member Posts: 85
    Honestly, AW is too expensive right now to be worth pushing. IMO the feed back of people not even trying should tel them how broken it is.
  • MEKA5MEKA5 Member Posts: 344 ★★
    Terrible update. This will increase frustration in already burnt out players.
    The difficulty increase without increasing the rewards makes no sense.
    Some of the nodes are a nightmare.
    Taking away the last grams of fun from AW...
  • RotellyRotelly Member Posts: 774 ★★★

While the Maps are new, and getting used to something new is never without Challenge, there isn't really an intended bump to difficulty with this Map update.

@Kabam Miike I think your team missed the mark with this update if the intent was not to bump difficulty. Our most recent AW opponent had 119 deaths and only completed 1 out of 3 BGs. That is almost a 3x increase in deaths and reduction in map exploration. To me this appears that the goal was to increase difficulty and item usage.

We asked for new maps with and understand with change comes a slight increase in difficulty but this is not that and appears to be a money grab for items.

Please keep this in mind, if players don't feel they can win without spending units they won't play

Motivations were also affected: On progress days, people were more intrinsically motivated—by interest in and enjoyment of the work itself. On setback days, they were not only less intrinsically motivated but also less extrinsically motivated by recognition. Apparently, setbacks can lead a person to feel generally apathetic and disinclined to do the work at all.
    https://hbr.org/2011/05/the-power-of-small-wins
  • SiriusBreakSiriusBreak Member, Guardian Posts: 2,156 Guardian
    Please, let's focus on the matter at hand. The new AW map. As it stands, it would seem the general consensus is that it's too much as is. Our Alliance is getting the full experience this time (ran into a tanking Alliance 1st run... next to no defenders placed). Already players are getting irritated and they're not out of the 1st section. Once the war is over, I advised everyone to come here and share their experience and opinions of the map.

So far, it's not looking like they're having fun. For me, that's the biggest issue. It's a game. It should be fun. Challenging, of course. However there's a difference between Challenging and overkill in the realm of difficulty. From what I saw, the placement job done by the opposing Alliance isn't over the top. Which is nice for us, but at the same time, it's still rough. That's a little unnerving in itself.

What's going to happen when someone runs into a situation that requires X champs that they do not have? They're essentially screwed. Where's the fun in that? Yes, many of our members have VERY diverse rosters. Even so, no one has EVERY champ. Our backup players are talented and should be able to help in any scenario. But, if there's more than 1 situation that requires backup. Welp, we're screwed in that case, lol. Oh how fun... 😒
  • EvangelionlovrEvangelionlovr Member Posts: 481 ★★★
    My main concern with the new map is how long paths are now
  • Gregdagr8Gregdagr8 Member Posts: 382 ★★★
    Node 13 needs to be reworked or removed. Other than that, it's not that bad.

Please, let's focus on the matter at hand. The new AW map. As it stands, it would seem the general consensus is that it's too much as is. Our Alliance is getting the full experience this time (ran into a tanking Alliance 1st run... next to no defenders placed). Already players are getting irritated and they're not out of the 1st section. Once the war is over, I advised everyone to come here and share their experience and opinions of the map.

So far, it's not looking like they're having fun. For me, that's the biggest issue. It's a game. It should be fun. Challenging, of course. However there's a difference between Challenging and overkill in the realm of difficulty. From what I saw, the placement job done by the opposing Alliance isn't over the top. Which is nice for us, but at the same time, it's still rough. That's a little unnerving in itself.

What's going to happen when someone runs into a situation that requires X champs that they do not have? They're essentially screwed. Where's the fun in that? Yes, many of our members have VERY diverse rosters. Even so, no one has EVERY champ. Our backup players are talented and should be able to help in any scenario. But, if there's more than 1 situation that requires backup. Welp, we're screwed in that case, lol. Oh how fun... 😒

Yeah, that's what we're seeing. There are a few possibilities. Running it anyway, which won't go over very well and I suspect is the fear people have, making adjustments to some of the Nodes before Season 10, or perhaps foregoing the Map change until further revisions. It really depends on where they're going with it.
  • BigPoppaCBONEBigPoppaCBONE Member Posts: 2,386 ★★★★★
    Maybe Kabam should have some of the AW guys shadow the character design guys. Those guys get it and their work seems a labor of love. The AW crew throws up some bs garbage on the poorly planned maps, tells Miike and co some nonsense so they sound like fools when they tell us about it, and thinks the height of innovation is moar passive damage. SMH.
  • SiriusBreakSiriusBreak Member, Guardian Posts: 2,156 Guardian
    There's 2 major changes I would love to see. 1st, and foremost, the removal of 1 link per section (in regards to the left, middle, and right) so Alliances are not REQUIRED to have 9 players available immediately. As it stands, that's the case and it's troublesome for many. Many players can't drop everything to play whenever they're needed. Some flexibility should be there, and as it stands, there's none.

2nd, some of these nodes need to be dialed back, or scrapped altogether. Granted, we can see the majority of the Map as there's only 5 hidden nodes now. While that helps with choosing your attack squad, not everyone has every champ, let alone have them ranked. Certain combos seem to require an ideal counter champ, or it's gonna be a heck of a battle.

Aegis seems to be particularly troublesome when combined with certain defenders. The Reversed Controls isn't activating right away causing confusion. Not to mention the unknown interaction with Emma Frost. Will she temporarily bring the controls back to normal? Another oddity with Reversed Controls found by an Alliance mate was with Blade vs GR. Danger Sense made it impossible to know when it would work. I believe this was due to ability accuracy reduction. Is this intended? Or an unforeseen interaction?

There's other issues that have come to light, and it's taking away from the enjoyment factor of AW. Being told this wasn't intended to be more difficult really makes players question how Kabam came to that conclusion. We didn't even need to play it to know it would be more difficult. Now having played it, there's 1st hand experience. The layout itself isn't the problem. It's the fact it demands 9 players, and may require certain champs to survive without heavy item usage.

Having to buy your way through a Map isn't right. Sure, perhaps eventually we could figure it all out. Just the same, when you figure out that it can't be done without X champs you don't have... it really makes the situation feel hopeless. Something no one wants to feel when playing a game that's supposed to bring joy. So hopefully notes sre being taken and suggestions being considered. I know there's other issues as the number of posts are growing.

There's 2 major changes I would love to see. 1st, and foremost, the removal of 1 link per section (in regards to the left, middle, and right) so Alliances are not REQUIRED to have 9 players available immediately. As it stands, that's the case and it's troublesome for many. Many players can't drop everything to play whenever they're needed. Some flexibility should be there, and as it stands, there's none.

2nd, some of these nodes need to be dialed back, or scrapped altogether. Granted, we can see the majority of the Map as there's only 5 hidden nodes now. While that helps with choosing your attack squad, not everyone has every champ, let alone have them ranked. Certain combos seem to require an ideal counter champ, or it's gonna be a heck of a battle.

Aegis seems to be particularly troublesome when combined with certain defenders. The Reversed Controls isn't activating right away causing confusion. Not to mention the unknown interaction with Emma Frost. Will she temporarily bring the controls back to normal? Another oddity with Reversed Controls found by an Alliance mate was with Blade vs GR. Danger Sense made it impossible to know when it would work. I believe this was due to ability accuracy reduction. Is this intended? Or an unforeseen interaction?

There's other issues that have come to light, and it's taking away from the enjoyment factor of AW. Being told this wasn't intended to be more difficult really makes players question how Kabam came to that conclusion. We didn't even need to play it to know it would be more difficult. Now having played it, there's 1st hand experience. The layout itself isn't the problem. It's the fact it demands 9 players, and may require certain champs to survive without heavy item usage.

Having to buy your way through a Map isn't right. Sure, perhaps eventually we could figure it all out. Just the same, when you figure out that it can't be done without X champs you don't have... it really makes the situation feel hopeless. Something no one wants to feel when playing a game that's supposed to bring joy. So hopefully notes sre being taken and suggestions being considered. I know there's other issues as the number of posts are growing.

Very well said bro. This is an example of useful feedback that Kabam could take on board, informed detailed and relevant. @GroundedWisdom please take note.

Kabam has asserted that there is no ‘intended’ increase in difficulty with the new map. The only thing I can assert is there has been an UNINTENDED increase in difficulty.

Compare the Aegis node in AW vs for example the Thanos boss in AQ. Say he has 10% health left. Arguably a pretty easy one shot to finish off provided u don’t get unlucky w evading specials.

Now compare that to the Aegis node and KP or any other fairly difficult opponent to intercept due to unblockable basic or specials eg Rhino with 10% health left after you’ve had a few goes at him. And the opponent had maxed limber so there’s a narrow window to parry and heavy.

At tier 3/4 he still has 3 charges you need to remove by intercepting, plus 6 to remove by using heavies, even if each heavy does 1-2 hits you still may run of of time and cop a time out and lose attack bonus. Conceivably this is harder by comparison than Thanos because you still need to remove those charges BEFORE any damage is taken. And this is an early node in the new map not even a mini boss. It’s almost like turning any champ placed there into a Duped IMIW where he auto blocks all basic attacks when on low health.

Reverse controls is also a node that really doesn’t belong in war at all, only if it’s a feature of a champs specials like Emma Frost. Sure keep it in EQ where you can bring 5 champs best suited instead of only 3. And not where you only have 3 minutes to counter it instead of EQ where you can pace yourself.