**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.

Witness the Great Revival! Act 6 Chapter 1 - Coming March 13th

Comments

• kikiFurieuxkikiFurieux Posts: 217 ★★
    Markg25 said:

Hamin said:

Skill and strategy not RNG

100% with you on that and that should be all we say in this thread
  • Lovejoy72Lovejoy72 Posts: 1,858 ★★★★
    Hamin said:

Haven't been reading all the stuff on this, but...

I was under the impression the gates would not affect completion just exploration.

I understand 4*s won't be allowed in Act 6... but, c'mon guys... how many of you brought 3*s into Act 5?

Everywhere synergies or utility called for it? Sometimes just because the sig level on the 3* was better!
  • DarthHaasDarthHaas Posts: 385 ★★
    more curious than anything. Did variant cause this much uproar? or how come no one is upset about the nick fury event going on right now?

Those two had restrictions enough to cause a lot of issues with smaller rosters. The first part of the nick fury one has a 40K ultron... I'm assuming it will get harder. Not sure what my champ selection will be for the last portion of the event but it will be restricted.
  • Maximus_SpankersonMaximus_Spankerson Posts: 445 ★★
    I would really like to hear a better explanation from Kaban regarding 4* restriction for act 6..

Map 7 is supposed to be "challenging content", and I can take 3* there? Again, where is the logic in that?
  • Lovejoy72Lovejoy72 Posts: 1,858 ★★★★
    DarthHaas said:

more curious than anything. Did variant cause this much uproar? or how come no one is upset about the nick fury event going on right now?

Those two had restrictions enough to cause a lot of issues with smaller rosters. The first part of the nick fury one has a 40K ultron... I'm assuming it will get harder. Not sure what my champ selection will be for the last portion of the event but it will be restricted.

Ilac commented on the difference between extra events and the central lore of the game. I equate it to marvel releasing a short film only in select theatres, versus gating endgame behind an NC-17 rating.

I would really like to hear a better explanation from Kaban regarding 4* restriction for act 6..

Map 7 is supposed to be "challenging content", and I can take 3* there? Again, where is the logic in that?

I believe their logic is clear. They do not want to make this easy to complete. How to do that..... restrict a lot of peoples synergy and utility champs.

I have plenty of champs to take into act 6. I will be missing some of my normal synergy options and utility options. I don't use 4* regularly but they do come in handy.
  • Bidzy7Bidzy7 Posts: 369 ★★★
    xNig said:

Bidzy7 said:

xNig said:

To be honest, the 5/6* gate doesn't affect the target playerbase that A6 is going after. If someone is badly affected by it, then they're most probably not in that target demographic of the community. A6 is tough, but definitely doable with a deep 5/6* roster. "Deep" meaning, 3-4 R5s + 8-10 R4s + ALOT of R3s ranked up for different reasons.

From another perspective, having to lose the use of 4*s, means players will have to think of alternative methods to get past nodes instead of who they regularly use. An example being the Abomination + Biohazard + Nano Plague in this month's UC EQ. The common counters are Iceman, EF, and OR since you cannot use robots due to Nano Plague. If this node + champ combination were to be in A6, and we do not have a 5* variant of the above mentioned counters, what champion on our 5* roster can get past it? This opens up some creativity across the community since A6 SHOULD (big should) be testing every aspect of your roster and gameplay.

However, that being said, I personally find that there could have been better ways around the gating of content to cater to more skilful players.

I would argue you are wrong
    The target player base is essentially anyone who has completed all other aspects of the game.

Now if we look at the rewards from that content and how your roster will benefit from it we have the following
    act 4 - enough t2a to r4/55 5000 5* shards
    Act 5 Completion - enough materials to r5/65 1 5* , 3-4 gem , 4 5* crystals and 5000 6* shards
    LoL Initial Run - enough 2ta to r4/55 plus 2 5* crystals
    Variant - a 4-5 gem, 3 2-3 gems, 3 3-4(2015) gem plus 2 5* crystals 2450 6* shards, 1/2 t5 basic

Completing all of this doesn't even warrant a 6* crystal.
    you will have 8 5* crystals from all of this
    So lets say that you get good rng with the rank up gems and 5* crystals and have champions you feel worthy of r4 and r5

You will have
    2 r5/65 Champions ( using the t2a from act 4 to r4 a champion then the completion rewards from act 5 to r5 that champion. Using the 3-4 gem from act 5 then using the 4-5 gem from variant)
    4 r4/55 champions ( using the 3 2015 gems from variant and the t2a from LoL)

The above situation is however highly rng dependent and i am chaining the rank up gems to get to the above scenario.

If i simply focused on completing these things and then going on to act 6. I would have 8 5* champions to use.
    There are some people who only enjoy the storymode aspect of the game and don't do the pvp aspect of a game. These guys would not be able to do act 6 so they would quit.

Now obviously the above situation would only apply to a small percentage.

Now looking at those who do EQ, AW and AQ maybe even grind Arena for shards and Milestones.
    what extra rewards could they expect to get
    UC EQ gives 2500 6* shards, 7500 5* shards, 1/3 t2a, 1/4 t5 basic

so lets say if a person completed this and other stuff in a Month they would get the following
    2 5* Crystals ( AW, Heroic and Master EQ, Calendar logins and arena prizes)
    2500 6*
    1 t2a ( assuming they buy from glory store, get good drops from AQ etc)
    1/4 t5 Basic.

Now for a player to add another r5/65 champion to their roster it will take them
    10 months because of t2a. However lets say over that period we get some free t2a from calendar login rewards. Well the earliest they could do it would be 8 months because of the t5 basics.

To r4/55 it will take 4 months. so adding another 4-6 r4 to our 4 already will take 16-24 months

So for a player to have 3 r5/65 and 8 r4/55 they would need to spend 24 months to acquire the resources.
    Even if we assume that from the time they play they have the ability to farm all the resource. It will take a player 2 years to have the roster to do act 6 based on what roster you think people should have to do it. This is even before we throw in the rng of the crystals and pulling champions that would actually be worthy of taking to r4 and above, as well as the rng with the rank up gems and having a champ in that class to take upto r4 or r5.

Based on how long it takes to get the materials I would say you can complete all other aspect of the game and not have the roster you think you should going into act 6. That to me doesn't seem right.

The only way to reduce that is to buy the offers.

Going onto your second point about using alternatives. You give a good example with the abomination of this UC EQ.
    To get past him you need certain champs Iceman for example. If you don't have him or the others what are your alternatives solutions. Well i can only thing of 2 more 1 is use quake, but again this a dependent on you having a certain champion. The other option really is to try and nuke him down quicker then you die, reviving up and repeating. Again some champions will do better in this tactic then others sparky vs a colossus.
    So this isn't skill based it is having the right champ to get past very specific content. Now if he was in Act 6 he would be like a UC EQ boss with health and attack a lot higher. Getting past him without the champion would be impossible without reviving up a lot as his damage will shred through your health at that difficulty. Imagine a whole path of Bio-Hazard Nano nodes, which we can expect based on act5 and variant as we often have paths that are bio-hazard. I personally pulled a Iceman the other day so can handle this obstacle, however that was 2 years after he was released. Say this content was released 2 years ago. It would take me 2 years of opening crystals to have a champion to counter this path. ( I don't have any of the other champions at 5* to counter it) in order for me to do it. So because my luck is bad i am not allowed/able to do this path in a way that doesn't require me to throw a plethora of revives and health potions at it.

The only way i could increase the number of crystals i open after all the other methods is to buy them.

So I see this gate as a way to punish bad pulls, punish people who can't spend the majority of their time playing the game. Punish players for not spending more to get more crystals and get resources quicker and so not having the depth of roster they need.

A r2 4* is on par with a maxed out 3*. Getting a 4* to r3 is easy so naturally we all phased out 3* . Currently the game is not suited to this when it comes to 4 and 5*. A r3 5* is the same as a maxed out 4*. To get a 5* to r4 is hard to do. So naturally the game is not in a state where we have all naturally phased out 4* because they are still relevant for majority of players.
    I agree with the majority of your points. However, you are also missing the passing of “time” where (before and after today) 5/6* shards are rampantly more easily accessible. A year back, 5*s were once a month openings. Today, you get 2-3 at the very least monthly, assuming we don’t have extra side quests which we have been having consistently and frequently.

In addition, since A5 was released that enabled players to get their first 5/65, it has been about 2 years and we are looking at 3-4 R5s and lots more R4s due to the higher availability of rank up materials.

For players who aren’t interested in joining an alliance and are interested in story mode only, it is natural that their progress is slower than those who do. Alliance events are mainly a trade off between effort and rewards.

As you mentioned with regards to the Biohazard Nano Plague Abom, you were saying the only viable counter you could think of was Quake besides the obvious counter of Iceman. What about Dorm? A duped Corvus (since he can’t die from poison)? Rulk (10 heat charges hitting into block and taking Abom down ASAP)? Nebula (with her ability to shrug off shocks)? Ghost?

I’m sure there are others whom I’ve not thought of. However, amongst the options, there are some who have been out for years. They might not be “god tier” so people might not think of ranking them up but they are viable options. (I even ranked up OML to deal with Morningstar 😊)

As you mentioned, getting a 4* to r3 is relatively easy so we naturally phased out 3*s. Similarly, getting a 5* to r3 is relatively easy so we naturally... phase out 4*s?

I disagree with the decision of roster gating A6, but I can also see certain reasons why Kabam might want to do that. As such, rather than vehemently opposing it, a calmer, more logical approach would be to wait for 6.1 to drop in 2 days, look at the maps then figure out how to work a way around it.

From how I see it, it might potentially spark a lot of discussion within the community on how to handle certain node and champ combinations using the limited roster that each individual player has. (Using the UC Abom example again, the obvious answer to counter him would be Iceman. But what’s the fun in that? It’s boring because the counters are so outrightly obvious. 😂)
    I have taken all that into consideration in my post and have stated the resources available to to average player as of today and have tried to show the progression of a player from this instance in time not 2 years ago etc because if i did there would be less resources for ranking up and getting 5*. The rewards for completing content is a fixed amount. these are never adjusted to match the progress of the game. The same is also true of arena and EQ's.

I would also say that the 2 5* crystals a month is right for the average player ( including special side events). It takes completing master and UC to form 1 5* crystal. I do AW and i also farm up milestones in arena 4* basic as often as i can but due to the time i would say I don't this every arena cycle. I would say i am a little more active then your average player as i can log in several times a day to do arena etc. Others play when they aren't working etc. I achieve 2 1/2 5* Crystals a month.

Act 5.4 was released December 2017 so it has been just over a year since we could get our champs to r5.
    Uncollected was introduced a year ago today. so as i stated with the rewards you are looking at 8 months to take a champion from r3 to r5.
    So in the time of uncollected where we had t2a and t5 basics you would by now have a minimum of
    3 t5 Basics fully formed
    4 t2a
    lets say for argument sake we have managed to get an additional 8 t2a from calaender logins, side quests etc.

The above is however dependent on completing every UC and being UC and finishing Act 5 as soon as it came out etc.

So its not really unreasonable to say that after 1 year since uncollected people have been able to r5 another champion. So taking away from RNG people will have 2 r5/65 champions they have choosen to bring up. Some may have gotten lucky with their 4-5 gem and so have 3.

Now where are the t2a coming from apart from those listed in my post to allow the average player to have lots of r4's ?

You misread my iceman comment. I didn't say he was the only counter he was an example, i stated certain champs would counter that fight and used him as an example, to highlight my situation in that i did not have a counter for this fight at 5* until recently which took 2 years to get.
    I am fully aware that there are others such Emma Frost, Dormammu, Omega Red, Nebula, Ghost etc However out of 114 champions in the 5* pool there is 9 counters ( maybe i missed 1 or 2) so that gives us a 8% to pull a counter.

Also your comment of phasing out 4*s in comparison to my 3* example is not the same. One factor in phasing out 3* was the ease to get 4* to a higher rank then the 3*. R3 4* better then R4 3*. To do the same i.e. getting a 5* to r4 is not easy. on average takes 4 months of farming for t2a to do that. If you refer to my calculations of t2a accumulated over the last year since uncollected that is a potential of 3 r4 instead of r5 any champ. A r3 5* is the same as a r5 4* So why would you replace the 4* with the 5* if its the same thing. Add into the mix that duping a 4* and max sigging is alot easier then 5* is part of the reason people have not replaced their 4* for r3 5*s.

That's fair, everyone will view the change differently and is entitled to their opinion. Well if you don't protest to something coming in effect its harder to get it changed. An example is the whole debacle with those 2015 gems and not undoing the rank ups of those who exploited the bugged gems. If we don't say nothing now then the developers will continue to develop content around that, which has already been made clear to us in that further on into A6 they will add 5/6* restrictions gates.

Yeah people will always look at different ways around certain nodes/challenges , e.g. using loki to take down 5.4 Ultron.
    But taking damage from something you have no control over is even less fun. The counters all don't work the same way. So Corvus you will still take damage but just won't die from it so you will have to be very aggressive and intercept alot. This is a different play style compared to Emma frost which will need to you constantly keep yourself in a state where the enemy has more power then you so throwing your sp1 straight away so you stay in Diamon form. Omega red will just thrive with the bleed and place lots of spores. Cap IW with synergy can purify debuffs. these are all different counters but they are counters. Not having any of these means you approach that fight with the strategy fight do damage die revive and heal up and repeat. Is that really an fun ?

• Maximus_SpankersonMaximus_Spankerson Posts: 445 ★★
    DarthHaas said:

I believe their logic is clear. They do not want to make this easy to complete. How to do that..... restrict a lot of peoples synergy and utility champs.

I have plenty of champs to take into act 6. I will be missing some of my normal synergy options and utility options. I don't use 4* regularly but they do come in handy.
    Sure, I get that. I want to hear them state it.

My favorite synergy is double power gain between OG Vision, whom I have at R5, with SW. SW isn't available as a 5* or 6*.

DarthHaas said:

Sure, I get that. I want to hear them state it.

My favorite synergy is double power gain between OG Vision, whom I have at R5, with SW. SW isn't available as a 5* or 6*.
    Yea good luck with them stating that! they have been laying pretty low lately. And I'm assuming they will lay low and let the act get released and have everyone focus on beating that vs the restrictions.

Yea two of my main synergies (Ghost - Im missing 5* wasp so that is gonna suck. and Domino I'm missing massacre) that will effect me less then the ghost one but... fingers crossed for a wasp pull soon
  • DrZolaDrZola Posts: 8,456 ★★★★★
    xNig said:

DrZola said:

xNig said:

DrZola said:

Relevant points. Your second paragraph underscores the pertinent issue for veteran players who for whatever reason haven’t been blessed by pRNG. Another example would be a high-level Iceman with significant Coldsnap damage—can be passable but very well may require close-to-perfect play and likely results in at least one champ gimped for that path absent any of the accepted counters at 5/6*.

The other is the one I mentioned last night: any path/quest that requires class+rarity to enter. While that may not happen until 6.2, it’s a non-starter for anyone who doesn’t have a 6* in each class (and could very well be a wasted champ slot if the gate was 6*+Mutant and all you have is 6* DPX).

We will know a lot more in a couple of days; maybe all of this is a huge over-reaction. I have no problem with players who have only been around a year or so facing gating issues if they lack roster depth (although the inclusion of crummy champs unsuited for the past couple of metas in the 6* and 5* crystals essentially constitutes a “gate” in and of itself).

But it’s a different issue with players who have been around for years and finished Act 5 and a significant amount of what is advertised as difficult peripheral content. I’m humble enough to be queasy about claiming I’m “endgame” (whatever that means), and I don’t play a super-high AW/AQ level anymore, but the game needs to be enjoyable and reasonably accessible as well as challenging for players in my shoes—especially when it’s the basic story arc of the entire game, not a peripheral challenge that promises outsized rewards. Making story quest hard is fine, but locking it behind a gate because it’s the endgame of endgames seems silly. What would that make LoL2-–the endgamest endgame of endgames? Engamageddon? I would prefer innovation and new ideas to lockouts any day.

Bottom line for me: if the answer is wait out another 6 months of pulls to see if pRNG rewards me with some of the decent roster additions I need/lack, then that’s no answer at all. I’ve been there and done that and there’s no pot of gold at the end of the hamster wheel.

Dr. Zola

With regards to the Iceman, he’s even easier to counter than that Abom. Yes, we think of Corvus Meph ST IMIW as viable cold snap immune counters, what about Rogue GR or any champ that can outheal the Cold Snap damage? In addition, shouldn’t we not have any issues with a fight that requires close to perfect play? I mean, we are complaining about “skill” right?

From how I read the comment from the mods, it seems as though the class + rarity gates is a combination of variant and 6.1 gates. Or it could also possibly be like in Act 1, where certain paths are only accessible if you bring a, for example, Skill Champ. That’s on top of the act gate allowing only 5/6*s. Tbh, this should most probably be less than a minor inconvenience. The challenge would be, as seen in some paths of the classic version of Ultron’s Assult, a specific path that requires champs from 5 classes.

Yes I agree with you that the roster gate wasn’t a good idea. There are most probably better ways around it. (I actually have one fleshed out fully but won’t be posting it here due to certain reasons). But if that’s the way Kabam chose to move forward, as players we just need to adapt and figure ways around it. The issue I have with the reactions of the community is mainly because it’s fueled by FOMO. That being said, I would also be up in arms if this were a monthly event lol, but it isn’t.

The truth is, with the rewards 6.1 is giving out, there is nothing to be missed out on. We won’t have enough to R3 a 6*, and an additional R4 doesn’t do anything substantial to change the rosters of those who are able to 100% 6.1.

On your last point, I agree that waiting for a specific champ to be pulled from the crystal sucks. But there might be alternative counters that people did not think of simply because they dont fall into the realm of “god/Demi god tier”. (How’s your Falcon doing btw?)
    You’re absolutely right that the community gets tunnel vision on the top-shelf champs. Some
    of that is the community’s fault, but a lot of that comes squarely back to the game team. Hype plus the growing gap between old-new champs feeds it. There’s no amount of beta buffs that can close that gap.

I do tend to use those other champs (as well as a couple of others) on things like Coldsnap—you’re forced to be scrappy when you don’t have the optimal or obvious counters. You won’t see me complaining about lacking a dominant champ like CG or Domino when there are probably 40 other champs in the 5* crystal I’d be pleased to have for various reasons. I can’t seem to stop duping the same champs over and over now—at this point, I’m behind the curve by about two dozen meta champs, and I’m probably one more mediocre 6* pull from taking a springtime vacation. It would take a long run of good luck to make up even part of that ground.

We share the same opinion of the 6.1 rewards. They are decidedly underwhelming for content that is supposed to be uber-endgame (another baffling aspect of the Act 6 rollout). A single T4c at Completion is a head scratcher.

So unless I’m pleasantly surprised by 6.1, that shifts me fully into occasional player mode. Knock out some more Variant, fiddle with UC EQ when it suits, don’t stress about missing calendar or other stuff. There are surely droves of alliances full of people like that (I’ve been in a few of them).

If that’s where the game has decided to leave me, then so be it.

Dr. Zola

P.S. Falcon...eh, so-so. I haven’t fully acquired the taste for him. But you have to run with what you have. I’ve got two Skill T4 about to expire so maybe he gets them. I screwed up and formed a 13th T2a so I’ve got a month to make some roster decisions regardless.
    Don’t worry about the pulls and just have fun. With no expectation comes no disappointment. I’ve had my fair share of bad pulls as well but because almost 80% of my 4*s are maxed sig, I get to open 3-4 5*s monthly from all the places I get to acquire shards. It takes time to build a roster so just hang in there and have fun.

Falcon’s dps is pretty meh but he has pretty good utility. I’m actually contemplating bringing him, amongst other options, up to R4 since I’m lacking a true strike champ. Like you said, just gotta roll with what you have.
    Certainly does. Unevenness of 5* pulls can give you tremendous depth but meager roster breadth—even though I’ve probably hit an easy 4-5 5*’s a month lately given all the special quests. That’s been my story since last summer, when growth simply stopped dead in its tracks. I’d trade several of my god-tier redupes for a viable 5* role player champ.

All good. Like I said, I’m willing to listen to what the game is telling me. And right now it sounds like it’s telling me 75 degree weather is around the corner...

Dr. Zola
    Lovejoy72 said:

DarthHaas said:

Ilac commented on the difference between extra events and the central lore of the game. I equate it to marvel releasing a short film only in select theatres, versus gating endgame behind an NC-17 rating.

Good point. Makes Sense!
  • axelelf_1axelelf_1 Posts: 775 ★★★
    DarthHaas said:

I’m only out one champ, my 4* killmonger for sabertooth. What pisses me off is that I ranked up tons of 4*s over their 5* counterparts because I’d never r4 the 5* version. These are situational champs. Now I can’t use them. However, I’m very empathetic to others with terrible luck but serious skills who are being royally screwed.
  • BillLisBackBillLisBack Posts: 25
    edited March 2019
    Kabam has responded by saying “Let them eat cake”!

Look at all the 4* offers that just dropped today.
  • BadroseBadrose Posts: 777 ★★★
    What about... RANKDOWN TICKETS? :D