**WINTER OF WOE - BONUS OBJECTIVE POINT**
As previously announced, the team will be distributing an additional point toward milestones to anyone who completed the Absorbing Man fight in the first step of the Winter of Woe.
This point will be distributed at a later time as it requires the team to pull and analyze data.
The timeline has not been set, but work has started.

Alliance Quest Season 6 - Discussion Thread

Comments

• KelvinKageKelvinKage Posts: 372 ★★★
    Is anyone else concerned about having a Hyperion as a map 5 mini? A 35k Hype sounds like a nightmare unless boss killers run amazing power control champs which not everyone has. This seems very problematic to me.
  • RogerRabsRogerRabs Posts: 548 ★★★★
    edited May 2019
    t

Alright then. Ask yourself one question. If I'm so wrong, then why haven't they made them permanent in all the years of asking? Being wrong is not the same as not accepting the answer.

Because they benefit from having people log in more often. They want you having to check in as often as possible.
  • V1PER1987V1PER1987 Posts: 3,474 ★★★★★

Is anyone else concerned about having a Hyperion as a map 5 mini? A 35k Hype sounds like a nightmare unless boss killers run amazing power control champs which not everyone has. This seems very problematic to me.

There are a few champs that can deal with Hyperion. Void, Magik, Doc Oc, DV, Hood, MS, Dorm, Iceman, Luke, Shulk, and to lesser degrees CAIW, SG, and GP. I’m sure there’s others I missed.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,169 ★★★★★
    RogerRabs said:

t

Alright then. Ask yourself one question. If I'm so wrong, then why haven't they made them permanent in all the years of asking? Being wrong is not the same as not accepting the answer.

Because they benefit from having people log in more often. They want you having to check in as often as possible.
    That's a misconception. We have to log on as many times anyway, whether every 2 and a half hours, or 5. Same amount of moves in AQ. Actually, that's one of the things they've mentioned themselves that I agree with. Not everyone can log on every 2 and a half hours, or every half an hour. Some people work jobs 8 hours a day or more. All it does is add more pressure for people to move quicker. They're not trying to get log-ins from 1-Hour Timers. That makes no logical sense at all. The opposite would be true.
  • TacoScottyTacoScotty Posts: 407 ★★
    edited May 2019

Some more flexibility. Not others. Thank you for giving an example of why I don't want to debate this. Never gets anywhere. It's always one-sided.

Yes, I still have the same amount of time for fights but reduced timers actually give more flexibility not less of how long I can go without checking in. I can join late from work and not be concerned that I let 2 out of 26 energy rot (join 4 hours after AQ start) when I may need 18 to do the map with my paths

Here is math for ya - I need 18/26 energy to complete or 69%, every energy that rots is 4% and if you try to sleep a healthy 8 hours at nights that’s already 3 rotting. So between joining late and sleep I need to use 18/21 or 86% of my max (yes some sleep less but trying to promote being healthy)

Now let’s do same example with 30 min energy. I join AQ 4 hours after start. Now I only need 18/50 energy or 36%. I will rot 11 sleeping for 8 hours and joining AQ 4 hours late means I rotted 6. So now I am down to 18/33 or 55%. Yes I can rot these faster but each one that rots doesn’t hurt as much as 1 hour.

55% < 86% ... more surplus means more flexibility. Doesn’t matter time zones or what not. Please draw up an example where 1 hour energy will allow you to complete a map faster than 1/2 hour. Like I said before, you can’t. The best scenario you can draw is they would finish the same time.

Under your logic they should move AW energy timer back to 1.5 hours to give more flexibility. You probably also like longer lines at theme parks for hell who wants to risk missing going on 40 rides instead of 35 rides because we walked too slow between rides when there are no lines. You probably rather wait in 1 hour line and only do 8 rides for You knew you didn’t waste any time walking slow for there was no way you could sneak in an extra hour to wait in another line before park closed!

One hour energy means more traffic. More traffic leads to more potential for sales and also allows the game to become a larger part of your daily life and therefore some players will more likely invest in it (more sales). If they didn’t care about money, why don’t they just remove energy completely? Then my BG can just meet up over one 30 min window a day and just blow through map. If different time zones, then it will be slower but not anywhere near as slow today. I don’t use boosts in AQ (do m7 days 3,4, and/or 5 weekly) if they are concerned with that they can make AQ specific boosts.

• TacoScottyTacoScotty Posts: 407 ★★
    edited May 2019
    Here is one you may not get GroundedWisdom... you don’t need to log in every 2.5 hours with 30 min energy. You can be in an alliance that fits your pace. You can log in every 5 hours just like now and finish at exactly the same time. 30 min energy allows different time zones to finish faster since they can get more done when time overlaps since energy replenishes faster. A completely mixed time zone BG now is very difficult to finish higher maps. 30 min energy (with same number nodes) actually helps fix that.

If worried about some being able to release champs faster I would happily trade locking my champs until time is up if meant 30 min energy with same number of nodes.

The fact that they reward us / compensate us with 30 min energy is obvious it’s a benefit. If it harmed people they wouldn’t do it
  • ButtehrsButtehrs Posts: 4,629 ★★★★★
    My bg does map 5 x5. Sometimes we feel froggy and do map 6. Even with opposite time zones, wich actually help us, we still finish with plenty of time to spare. 30 min timers had zero effect once we reached our usual stopping point for the night for sleep. It doesnt matter if its 30 min timers or 1hr.
  • V1PER1987 said:

Kabam DK said:

Jestress said:

Really displeased with the increase in difficulty, new nodes, etc and the fact that Map 5 and 6 receive no new rewards except T4B and T4CC, which players at that level have little need for. "Saving the big rewards update for later" is great, but I don't think it's right to increase difficulty and not ramp up rewards simultaneously.

We haven't revealed all the changes to Ranked Rewards, but every single rank will see an increase in rewards, with the exception of the 2 lowest ranks (below Rank 21001). If you're playing Map 5 or 6, you can expect a bump to the Tier 2 Alpha and Tier 5 Basic Fragments you receive. More details on how much of a bump that will be is something we'll talk about soon, but for this particular update, our focus is on getting mid to low level players the resources they need most, hence our focus on that in the post.
    Then give us all of the rewards when you make a post and tell us you are increasing the difficulty. I know a lot of the top 45 alliances are SUPER MAD with these changes.
    Our choice here was either to get this information out early without all of the rewards information (because that information is still being finalized) or wait until it is finalized and include it all at once, which gives players a lot less notice. In this case, we decided that it's probably best to get as much information as we have out as soon as we could.

This is why this is an early look.
    So then can you clarify the timing? Are we going to be playing the updated maps without updated rewards or is it simply that you’re waiting to finalize the updated rewards and the rewards will be added to the updated maps.
    The latter. You won't be playing the announced changes without the rewards updates, it's just that the rewards updates typically come in later than the Map changes. We didn't want to wait to finalize the reward updates before telling everyone what was happening in the Maps, since then it would have been too close to release for comfort.
    Who says they're trying to make money? People play at the level which they're comfortable. AQ has always been something that is revisited and updated, otherwise it would become monotonous and wouldn't be a challenge at all. As you said, Champs have gotten stronger, and so has the content to go with them. Making it a new challenge keeps the game alive.
  • Ultra8529Ultra8529 Posts: 526 ★★★

Who says they're trying to make money? People play at the level which they're comfortable. AQ has always been something that is revisited and updated, otherwise it would become monotonous and wouldn't be a challenge at all. As you said, Champs have gotten stronger, and so has the content to go with them. Making it a new challenge keeps the game alive.

If you read my post you'd have seen that the difficulty has increased further than our rosters have. Its a greater increase in difficulty relative to roster size.

In fact if you even played at top levels you would have realised this lol.
    If the difficulty has increased past your Roster, then perhaps you're playing above it.
    I can assure you it's not designed to be more difficult than Rosters would allow. That makes no sense at all.
    edited May 2019
    That's because there are no facts in the assertion made. If you're trying to convince me they created it to be more difficult than people can manage, you will have a very hard time. I am 99.9% positive that they considered the capability of Rosters in the design of this content, and it is within that limit. The fact is people have done it and completed it within the last 6 months, as you pointed out, and that can not only be affirmed through feedback, we could also see it in the data had we been given access to it. No, they're not designing AQ harder than people are capable of, just to make money. That would be a conspiracy.
  • JacedafaceJacedaface Posts: 34
    Why oh why are we getting Morningstar. We just had her for an entire season. So annoying can't do MS unless u bring a bleed immune, can't do SW unless u bring poison immune and then u will also need power control (or the other few exceptions like void and iceman...) for the hype week. Not that none of these especially hard just super annoying for the poor people that lack the immunity champs...
  • KelvinKageKelvinKage Posts: 372 ★★★
    Why aren’t more people concerned about this Hyperion? I understand there are counters but he is being greatly underestimated. With the node combination and the fact that AQ opponents are super defensive it seems like an impossible fight without very high ranked Magik or Void. Feels like a variant 1 match.

GW doesn't know what happened because he clearly doesn't play at that level.

Map 6 is much harder than it was last year even when accounting for stronger rosters because:

a. prestige cap was lifted
    b. much more difficult defenders
    c. on much more difficult nodes

I responded the the implication they made it harder than Rosters can manage. Not true.
    Oh, players can "manage" it. They just have to spend a lot more on potions fighting harder defenders on harder nodes, which is fact and can't be disputed.
    That's not what was originally commented. The implication was they were trying to make money by increasing the difficulty beyond what people can do.
    By increasing difficulty, players will spend more on potions and Kabam makes more money. Not a stretch to say that companies all over the world do this on purpose lmao. Man...you're funny. Can't get through to you.
    By switching up the challenge, it keeps it fresh, instead of the same thing over and over. The statement was made that it was harder than people can manage. It's not. For that matter, if you're using that many Items, you're probably playing a Map above your capabilities.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

Map 6 is much harder than it was last year even when accounting for stronger rosters because:

I responded the the implication they made it harder than Rosters can manage. Not true.
    Oh, players can "manage" it. They just have to spend a lot more on potions fighting harder defenders on harder nodes, which is fact and can't be disputed.
    That's not what was originally commented. The implication was they were trying to make money by increasing the difficulty beyond what people can do.
    By increasing difficulty, players will spend more on potions and Kabam makes more money. Not a stretch to say that companies all over the world do this on purpose lmao. Man...you're funny. Can't get through to you.
    Who spends money on potions? We get plenty enough glory to cover potion use
  • LongtimegamerLongtimegamer Posts: 179 ★★★

By switching up the challenge, it keeps it fresh, instead of the same thing over and over. The statement was made that it was harder than people can manage. It's not. For that matter, if you're using that many Items, you're probably playing a Map above your capabilities.
    If players can handle a map and Kabam makes it disproportionately more difficult, and players can't handle it without spending a lot more items or stepping to a lower map, that's regression, not progression.

If players can handle a map and Kabam makes it disproportionately more difficult, and players can't handle it without spending a lot more items or stepping to a lower map, that's regression, not progression.
    No, that's playing the Map you're capable of.
  • LongtimegamerLongtimegamer Posts: 179 ★★★

If they're capable of less, that's regression.
  • arsjumarsjum Posts: 412 ★★★
    V1PER1987 said:

There are a few champs that can deal with Hyperion. Void, Magik, Doc Oc, DV, Hood, MS, Dorm, Iceman, Luke, Shulk, and to lesser degrees CAIW, SG, and GP. I’m sure there’s others I missed.
    True but this Hyperion is also on spite, oscillate, and emphatic lock nodes. A pretty nasty combination. :)

That's progress. The game grows, so do Rosters. You either adapt to the changes and grow into them, or you play something that doesn't cost you buckets of potions. It runs every week so it's not like there isn't enough practice.

That's progress. The game grows, so do Rosters. You either adapt to the changes and grow into them, or you play something that doesn't cost you buckets of potions. It runs every week so it's not like there isn't enough practice.
    It's not progress when players step down in content, quit alliances, or go into retirement or semi-retirement. You'd know this if you played anywhere competitively. The game is almost disappearing at the top...guys tired of the cost of AW, AQ, and the overall grind.
    No. Progress is growing through new challenges. That requires making effort and adjustments. Not doing the same thing week in and week out. So when things change, you adapt. If you're still struggling after doing the same AQ week after week, you either need to change your strategy, Roster, or change the Map you're doing. Progress doesn't come without changing the Maps now and then.