Fixing BG for 95% of players with one simple change

Comments

• GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Member Posts: 36,511 ★★★★★
    10 Tiers of consecutive Wins isn't a reasonable system. I don't care who thinks others belong where. That's for their efforts to decide. Only, when you pigeon-hole those efforts, then you have a system that is designed with the outcome of keeping people frozen, not progressing over time. Which should be the case. As they advance their Rosters, and continue making an effort in the competition, and their skills improve, then they should have the ability to move higher. That's how growth works.
    The current setup is too punishing to allow, or even encourage that. If people want a competition that they Rank the same thing every month and no one moves, we have AQ for that.
  • BringPopcornBringPopcorn Member Posts: 4,625 ★★★★★
    edited September 2023

10 Tiers of consecutive Wins isn't a reasonable system. I don't care who thinks others belong where. That's for their efforts to decide. Only, when you pigeon-hole those efforts, then you have a system that is designed with the outcome of keeping people frozen, not progressing over time. Which should be the case. As they advance their Rosters, and continue making an effort in the competition, and their skills improve, then they should have the ability to move higher. That's how growth works.
    The current setup is too punishing to allow, or even encourage that. If people want a competition that they Rank the same thing every month and no one moves, we have AQ for that.

There isnt 10 tiers with seeding, unless you ended in a Tier that drops you back to bronze the previous season.
    10 Tiers that require one Token per Win. I said consecutive Wins.
    You only need a 3-2 winning ratio on a game mode that doesn't punish losing by dropping you down a tier. If you can't get past that maybe the game mode is not for that certain player.
  • KTPrimalKTPrimal Member Posts: 121
    There's no punishment for losing. The mode is clearly just spend units/marks until you advance.
    KTPrimal said:

There's no punishment for losing. The mode is clearly just spend units/marks until you advance.

But wait!! Nooo how are they supposed to save Units for 4th and CM unit deals!! No fair
  • JustWantTheRewardsJustWantTheRewards Member Posts: 442 ★★★

10 Tiers of consecutive Wins isn't a reasonable system.

You don't need a 100% win rate to progress. Manage 60% all the way through and you'll make it to Celestial.

I don't care who thinks others belong where. That's for their efforts to decide

Your efforts did decide. It's not like Kabam is forcing you to be stuck or picking and choosing where you belong. The system is designed to work itself out and let the player's strength determine their placing. Your efforts decided that you're about as good as everyone else in your tier. If you progressed without improving, you'd be weaker than everyone else in your tier.

Only, when you pigeon-hole those efforts, then you have a system that is designed with the outcome of keeping people frozen, not progressing over time. Which should be the case

Why should that be the case? Allowing players to just requeue and keep making progress would be wildly anti-improvement. You're supposed to be frozen because your strength is relatively equal to everyone around you. Increase your strength further than they increase theirs and you will progress.

As they advance their Rosters, and continue making an effort in the competition, and their skills improve, then they should have the ability to move higher. That's how growth works

This is exactly how the current system works. If you're getting better and building your roster but not making progress, that means you're improving at the same rate as everyone around you. In order to earn a spot above the rest, you have to improve faster and further than the rest.
    You're talking about me again as if my issue is personal. My issue is the system is too tight up to the GC, as I've said countless times. The ratio needs to be adjusted. Otherwise people are going to stop caring. Believe me, you can only chase your tail so long.
    It's always the same people making the same points in these discussions, and honestly it's getting old.
    You think it's fine the way it is. I disagree. That's the end of it.

You're talking about me again as if my issue is personal

The same goes for myself and everyone else competing. I'm referring to you because it's easier than building the whole paragraph around "players", not to personalize it towards you.

The ratio needs to be adjusted. Otherwise people are going to stop caring. Believe me, you can only chase your tail so long

I disagree. I think Seeding has made this BGs season the easiest of all. For the first time, I genuinely feel like every tier from plat 1 beyond is filled with players who are meant to be there. Rarely too strong, rarely too weak.

I honestly don't know where you expect the discussion to go. I'm all for changes to BGs being made, but just saying that things need to change because players will get tired, "believe me" isn't bringing anything to the table. The Ranked tiers need to even out with a 50% win rate. That's how every ranked mode I've ever seen has worked. Apex, Valorant, MCOC, etc. Any other changes, I'd love to hear.
    Okay, so you disagree. We will see what changes need to be made then.
    Like moths to a flame. People can't talk about the subject without the same people trying to squash their opinions.
    "I don't have a problem so you shouldn't have a problem so there is no problem."

Like moths to a flame. People can't talk about the subject without the same people trying to squash their opinions.
    "I don't have a problem so you shouldn't have a problem so there is no problem."

It sounds like you're just taking old threads as an excuse to be upset that you don't have any real reasoning for a change. The system is designed this way for a reason. Unless you can show that the reason is invalid, you don't have an argument. I tried to just be helpful and have a discussion about the thread, but you're turning this into something else entirely.

The same goes for myself and everyone else competing. I'm referring to you because it's easier than building the whole paragraph around "players", not to personalize it towards you.

The ratio needs to be adjusted. Otherwise people are going to stop caring. Believe me, you can only chase your tail so long

I disagree. I think Seeding has made this BGs season the easiest of all. For the first time, I genuinely feel like every tier from plat 1 beyond is filled with players who are meant to be there. Rarely too strong, rarely too weak.

I honestly don't know where you expect the discussion to go. I'm all for changes to BGs being made, but just saying that things need to change because players will get tired, "believe me" isn't bringing anything to the table. The Ranked tiers need to even out with a 50% win rate. That's how every ranked mode I've ever seen has worked. Apex, Valorant, MCOC, etc. Any other changes, I'd love to hear.
    Bold to compare ranked competitive games to mcoc BGs.
    KTPrimal said:

Why's that bold?

It sounds like you're just taking old threads as an excuse to be upset that you don't have any real reasoning for a change. The system is designed this way for a reason. Unless you can show that the reason is invalid, you don't have an argument. I tried to just be helpful and have a discussion about the thread, but you're turning this into something else entirely.
    If your only argument is "Kabam agrees with me.", then you're not offering any substance yourself.
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Member Posts: 1,941 ★★★★★

Just because you can't do something doesn't mean it's unreasonable.

If your only argument is "Kabam agrees with me.", then you're not offering any substance yourself.
    That's not my only argument. I've been so obviously against people just reposting Jax's comment. My argument is that the entirety of the Ranked competitive industry agrees with me, because the system works for a reason.

KTPrimal said:

Why's that bold?
    Because BGs lack elements to make the mode a ranked competitive mode. The scoring system is bad. The queue system is bad. Winning and losing hardly has meaning. It's a mode of elder marks. A 50% win rate will hardly advance you in other ranked games. Because rp is not only based on winning and losing, but also performance. Also the higher the rank the more rp is required to rank up.

That's not my only argument. I've been so obviously against people just reposting Jax's comment. My argument is that the entirety of the Ranked competitive industry agrees with me, because the system works for a reason.
    If ranked competitive players saw the BGs system, I'd bet they wouldn't play it.

Who said I can't?

No one is arguing against a Ranked competitive mode. What the argument is, is that 3/4 of that competition is designed to serve those who should be in the last 1/4.
  • Ironman3000Ironman3000 Member Posts: 1,941 ★★★★★

Who said I can't?
    You have said multiple times that you've been stuck in BGs.
    Can someone explain something to me please and I am not being sarcastic or condescending.
    Why does someone worry about the 10 tiers of "consecutive wins" needed?.. why does someone count all 10 when they are stuck on the first 3?
    You have to learn to crawl before you walk or run.
    Counting all 10 tiers.when they are stuck on tier 2 or 3 seems a little entitled to the rest of the tiers.
    KTPrimal said:

KTPrimal said:

Why's that bold?
    A 50% win rate will hardly advance you in other ranked games. Because rp is not only based on winning and losing, but also performance. Also the higher the rank the more rp is required to rank up.
    I'd love to hear what exactly is wrong with all the other stuff, but these I can talk about. A 50% win rate isn't meant to advance you in any game. Not in BGs, not in Apex, not in Valorant. It's a matter of strength, whether that be strength by roster size or skill.

I do agree that BGs should at least look into a more fluid rp based system rather than the coins we have now. I imagine the coin system works better for 1v1 competitive modes where things like kills, assists, etc. just don't exist, so they can't really be used as performance metrics. Whatever the case, I don't like the coin system at all and would enjoy seeing what Kabam could attempt with an rp based system.

Who said I can't?
    You have said multiple times that you've been stuck in BGs.
    Nope. I was in Gold 1 for a few days. Coming up on D1 now.
    Regardless, I'm an adult. I know the difference between my own issues and the system as a whole.
    I'm going to have a hard time for a while because I'm new Paragon, and it will take time for the next phase of growing my Roster. Which is why I don't complain about my own personal situation.
    I'm talking about the system's expectations for people from Gold up, and it's too narrow. Not completely off, just in need of adjustment.

No one is arguing against a Ranked competitive mode. What the argument is, is that 3/4 of that competition is designed to serve those who should be in the last 1/4.
    Elaborate, I genuinely cannot tell what your point is here.

Elaborate, I genuinely cannot tell what your point is here.
    The success rate from Gold 1 up is tuned to what Players should be at for the highest quarter of Rankings in the entire competition.

KTPrimal said:

KTPrimal said:

Why's that bold?
    A 50% win rate will hardly advance you in other ranked games. Because rp is not only based on winning and losing, but also performance. Also the higher the rank the more rp is required to rank up.
    I'd love to hear what exactly is wrong with all the other stuff, but these I can talk about. A 50% win rate isn't meant to advance you in any game. Not in BGs, not in Apex, not in Valorant. It's a matter of strength, whether that be strength by roster size or skill.

I do agree that BGs should at least look into a more fluid rp based system rather than the coins we have now. I imagine the coin system works better for 1v1 competitive modes where things like kills, assists, etc. just don't exist, so they can't really be used as performance metrics. Whatever the case, I don't like the coin system at all and would enjoy seeing what Kabam could attempt with an rp based system.
    The AW system could be a good system for BGs. Where win or lose, how the alliance perform and the diversity of defenders determine scores.

The current scoring is basic and safe. No risk or challenge. Just use elder marks. Winning isn't as rewarding as it should be. Let alone based on who you match and beat. Losing isn't punishing. There's no deranking. It's almost meaningless unless there's a chance to make the cut for the Brawl.

With win sharing being taken serious now maybe that can be the start to combating tanking. How rewards are given for tier progression can be looked into also. Possible to give them all out at BG seasons end. There are a lot of huge accounts purposely staying in low VT tiers just to farm event points. And some are not interested in reaching GC. And those that will, will tank a couple seasons to lower their seeding.

Seeding is the best change to BGs in 11 seasons. It should have been added much earlier. The high VT tiers will be unbalanced because many weaker and progressing accounts are being pushed ahead because of the tanking issue. Which could be the root cause of a lot of the complaints while being in a higher tier.