**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.

5-Star Featured Crystal Change Discussion Thread

Comments

• RehctansBewRehctansBew Posts: 442 ★★★

I've never seen an MMO development house explain their datamining methodology. Its generally considered sensitive information.

I can say that based on my experience, barring errors which do happen, when Kabam says this list is based on the effectiveness of these champions in AQ and AW, they are most likely looking at the percentage usage of each champion first (for each champion how often are they used on attack or placed on defense) and then when they are used how high they score on a set of effectiveness metrics (probably the obvious: how many kills they get on offense, how many kills they generate on defense).

I should also point out that having seen these statistics myself, what "the players" think the actual players are doing and what the actual players actually do is always, and I mean ALWAYS wrong in pretty much every game. Unless you actually see real data, guesses based on your circle of friends and Reddit posts are statistically meaningless most of the time. The problem is public discussion about what is going on in the game heavily self-censors for narrow consensus. Anyone who posts "I think this champ is good" that doesn't match what "the players" think is shouted down, and those players tend to not post anymore. But they continue to play the game, and vote with their playtime.

You can shout down and belittle the people who think Cyclops is a great champ, but you can't eliminate their play from the game stats. Every one of us has a vote on what's good and what's bad, and that vote is registered in the actual game. To be blunt, shouting down the people the vocal players think are wildly wrong in the public spaces is actually extremely counter-productive in most games, even though it always happens. Because you just don't see what they are doing, until you are confronted with something like this and you just assume its because Kabam doesn't know what "the players" are actually doing. But while I've seen a lot of datamining errors (usually, flawed analysis), that data tends to be more accurate than player public guesses. You will never convince Kabam that your opinion should be trusted over their data. You wouldn't ignore your own data just because another player told you to, you can't expect game developers to do so.

I look at that list, and I ask myself what that list tells me about the average player. Anyone who looks at that list and just tells themselves that its obviously wrong because they know better is really closing off an avenue to learn something.[/quote]

I find it hard to believe what you are saying, but tend not to go against you. However, in the last year and a half of AW I can say without question my Alliance has faced off against these champs (take away diversity) maybe 20 times. And the number may be lower for seeing them on attack. You are a numbers guys, and I appreciate that. But this list is based on so low rated players and quests that they would be hard pressed to save the extra 5k in shards.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    LiquidButt wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike

Maybe i missed it but how often does this crystal get "refreshed" ? like how often do the 18 champs get changed?

The announcement says every three months, which is about the amount of time it takes for six new champs to be released and then replace the six featured champs in the new iteration of the crystal.
  • LiquidButt wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike

Maybe i missed it but how often does this crystal get "refreshed" ? like how often do the 18 champs get changed?

There will be a New Crystal every 3 Months. This Crystal will feature the 6 newest Champions, and another pool of 18 Champions as the Base Pool.

So another pool. This means none of the 18 in the first pool will be in the 2nd pool?
  • I have been lucky enough to get some good champs from featured crystals, but there are some in my alliance that have gone for featured crystals multiple times and their luck is total trash. One has duped Spidergwen 3 times. Yes, that's 60k 5* shards on Spidergwen. How is this new pool and this new strategy correcting that issue? Would you be happy duping Ant Man multiple times? Maybe that wasn't the point of this new format, but it should be. This really needs to be addressed.
  • SgtSlaughter78SgtSlaughter78 Posts: 462 ★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Grimmbear wrote: »
    I mean this in the worst of ways. Your team is deluded. In what universe are those champs even semi useful? Tier 20? There is NOBODY in any decent ally using 90% of those champs anywhere but defense (and only a couple for that) let alone **** attack or aq. They are NOT top options. Not a single one is god tier. Pathetic. Open your eyes.

If you are not a fan of the Champions in the Crystal, you can always wait until the Featured Champion you like is added to the Basic Pool, like the 3-Star and 4-Star Champions.

Also, nobody said they are the top Champions, and while player perception of these Champions may differ, these Champions are ones that people use to great success.

So someone sticks Cyclops on an Unblockable SP1 node in AW and picks up a few kills and this suddenly means that he is an ‘effective’ champ?

Actually, yes.
    Miike, take this back to the ‘team’. Have them come onto the forum for for an hour at some point and answer questions directly.

I personally believe in better communications between players and game developers and I've fought for that myself in the past. But yeah, that's not going to happen.

It might make him effective in War on that node, but it does NOT make him an effective champ for people trying to progress through end content and the like of LOL.
  • @Kabam Miike What's up with a five star featured arena? At least let us compete for the five stars we want
  • ApacheApache Posts: 558 ★★
    LiquidButt wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike

There will be a New Crystal every 3 Months. This Crystal will feature the 6 newest Champions, and another pool of 18 Champions as the Base Pool.

If people actually figure out how to have patience you guys are gonna be screwed with your gmc’s
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,657 Guardian
    khehmist wrote: »
    Too bad Apple didn't start requiring transparency in communications, maybe the announcement would have looked more something more like...

Due to Apple's new transparency mandate we're changing the feature crystal drop rate (for the champ you were hoping to get) to the worst of our old manipulated drop rates, for everyone, no matter how much you spend.

Let it be known to all app stores that we will respond to any attempt to influence our business to the benefit of their customers in a way that will continue to make our revenue a priority far above all others.

Forget about apple already, you cannot buy 5 star crystals with money. You can buy units and use them for crystals, but I can see the legal loophole.

Nope. Apple mandated transparency, then Kabam changed the system and confirmed feature crystal drop rates for the first time in history. No chance that's a coincidence.

Kabam has said nothing in this thread they haven't said before many times.
  • beyonder8421beyonder8421 Posts: 881 ★★★
    Mixalis wrote: »
    Kabam likes to mess with the hand that feeds them. I'll remind you, the hand is the players! What is your argument about the other great champs not being brought in? Are they not used in aq/aq??!! There is noooo way the players will go for this ****!

If all 24 champs were awesome, then it wouldn't be a "featured" crystal for the newer 6. Don't you think?
  • BaironDHBaironDH Posts: 109
    If this crystal was 10k, Id consider it a okay move & you kept the normal featured. This is just a money grab. Please name & shame who said Cyclops is amazing for AW/AQ?! Loki & Antman? Guys please just give us a polling event rather, make it proper feedback for just the forst one even, you can determine the max & min you put on that lost, but just let us choose, people will also be happier & feel more heard. Champs under 20 or 30% means not those champs & you guys can chpose anyone to take up those spots. Im even not thrilled Hawkeyes in there. Just be fair Kabam please man
  • SpiritOfVengeanceSpiritOfVengeance Posts: 2,353 ★★★★
    edited January 2018
    Lol even the game cannot handle the news. Now it's down.
  • McocjgMcocjg Posts: 6
    Going to try again to get this answered --

Will champs that are not available (Thor, Widow, Dr. Strange, Scarlett Witch, etc) now make it into the featured 5* crystal as part additional champions or maybe (hoping here) into the basic pool atleast.
  • RobjobcbkRobjobcbk Posts: 32
    Just talked to the team, and they are comfortable with sharing the list of Champions we plan to include in the first Featured Champion Crystal. It's important to note that this list could still potentially change a little before the release, but the selected Champions are based on empirical data showing their effectiveness as 5-Star Champions in both Alliance Quests and Alliance Wars.

Beast
    Storm
    Cable
    Cyclops (New Xavier School)
    Thor (Ragnarok)
    Taskmaster

Agent Venom
    Hawkeye
    Modok
    Sentry
    Void

Ant-Man
    Mordo
    Thor (Jane Foster)
    Loki
    Juggernaut
    Hela
    Phoenix
    Ronan
    Venompool
    Nebula
    Punisher (2099)
    Civil Warrior
    Doctor Octopus

Bold Text denotes Featured Champions.

You FORCED DEFENDER DIVERSITY ON US! If I look at my alliance and the opposing alliance 3 chosen champs for aw offense I only see 3 champs from your list that are REALISTICALLY used on offense. For aq I only see 6 more that MAY be used from that list.
    Here’s what I see
    Aw offense:
    AA
    Iceman
    Rogue
    Vision (both)
    Star lord
    Spider-Man stark enhanced
    Gwenpool
    Hawkeye
    Crossbones
    Black widow
    Blade
    Quake
    Cap ww2
    Hulk (maybe)
    Magik
    Scarlet witch
    Dr voodoo
    Ghost rider (for blade)
    Cosmics are a liability with MD

If you see others used it’s likely the player has not pulled one of the above champs (I’m sure I missed a couple) because your drop rates on god tier champs are seemingly lower.

In response to you actual list, we (the vast majority) don’t really want:
    Cyclops
    Agent venom
    Sentry (he’s not balanced)
    Ant man (PLEASE NOOOOO!!!)
    Thor Jane foster
    Loki
    Juggernaut
    Ronan
    Venompool
    Punisher 2099
    Civil warrior

Instead of looking at the “data,” speak to end game players/alliances on what champs are desired. I know you won’t because you make many decisions without communicating with the player base (not that you have to) but if you want to make more money, make this game and that in the game more desirable and in working order. The better you make this game in the eyes of players the more we will spend because we have some faith in Kabam.
  • ThatweirdguyThatweirdguy Posts: 675 ★★★
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Too bad Apple didn't start requiring transparency in communications, maybe the announcement would have looked more something more like...

Due to Apple's new transparency mandate we're changing the feature crystal drop rate (for the champ you were hoping to get) to the worst of our old manipulated drop rates, for everyone, no matter how much you spend.

Let it be known to all app stores that we will respond to any attempt to influence our business to the benefit of their customers in a way that will continue to make our revenue a priority far above all others.

Forget about apple already, you cannot buy 5 star crystals with money. You can buy units and use them for crystals, but I can see the legal loophole.

Nope. Apple mandated transparency, then Kabam changed the system and confirmed feature crystal drop rates for the first time in history. No chance that's a coincidence.

Kabam has said nothing in this thread they haven't said before many times.

They have never given a drop rate. Here for the first time ever we have been provided a drop rate. Unprecedented and not a coincidence.
  • beyonder8421beyonder8421 Posts: 881 ★★★
    bradshaw84 wrote: »
    Beast, Jane foster, Cyclops, Ronan, Loki, Phoenix, Venompool, civil warrior, ant man amongst the 18 best and most used in aq and aw? GTFOH! LMAO!

I didn't say most used, but they are among the most effective. Cyclops actually scores very high on this list. There is a smaller group of players that use him, but they use him VERY effectively.

Really dude? Come on. That's just ridiculous. If you had told us nothing about how you were choosing champs, it would have been more plausible. Civil Warrior? Ant Man? I know no one...not one single person that uses them for AQ or AW. Maybe you're talking about the people that are getting terrible 5* champs, and if that's the case, then the whole purpose of this new format is void. Are you guys listening at all?

You should know more people then. Ant-Man is a good defender.

He's not. Maybe in your tier 17

Just saying, people seem to have him, you need diversity, he is an annoying defender awakened, so it makes sense to have him there. Is he god-tier? No.

But that diversity helps. Also expect new synergies when the movie comes out.
  • Tom_Cruise1Tom_Cruise1 Posts: 56
    I would suggest.. best option would be to get the voting done to choose the 18 from base pool.
  • Mmx1991Mmx1991 Posts: 674 ★★★★
    I didn't say most used, but they are among the most effective. Cyclops actually scores very high on this list. There is a smaller group of players that use him, but they use him VERY effectively. [/color]

mcguyver is deadly with a paperclip and chewing gum. can u add them too?
  • VêNDëTTåVêNDëTTå Posts: 58
    Is beast really used THAT much tho... nothing against you mike you take a lot of **** and I understand not putting the “god tier” champs in the crystal.
  • GrimmbearGrimmbear Posts: 639 ★★★
    bradshaw84 wrote: »
    Beast, Jane foster, Cyclops, Ronan, Loki, Phoenix, Venompool, civil warrior, ant man amongst the 18 best and most used in aq and aw? GTFOH! LMAO!

I didn't say most used, but they are among the most effective. Cyclops actually scores very high on this list. There is a smaller group of players that use him, but they use him VERY effectively.

Really dude? Come on. That's just ridiculous. If you had told us nothing about how you were choosing champs, it would have been more plausible. Civil Warrior? Ant Man? I know no one...not one single person that uses them for AQ or AW. Maybe you're talking about the people that are getting terrible 5* champs, and if that's the case, then the whole purpose of this new format is void. Are you guys listening at all?

You should know more people then. Ant-Man is a good defender.

He's not. Maybe in your tier 17

Just saying, people seem to have him, you need diversity, he is an annoying defender awakened, so it makes sense to have him there. Is he god-tier? No.

But that diversity helps. Also expect new synergies when the movie comes out.

Don't need diversity when people can't get through our map.
  • HuonuoHuonuo Posts: 42
    Hulk_77 wrote: »
    Just talked to the team, and they are comfortable with sharing the list of Champions we plan to include in the first Featured Champion Crystal. It's important to note that this list could still potentially change a little before the release, but the selected Champions are based on empirical data showing their effectiveness as 5-Star Champions in both Alliance Quests and Alliance Wars.

Beast
    Storm
    Cable
    Cyclops (New Xavier School)
    Thor (Ragnarok)
    Taskmaster

Agent Venom
    Hawkeye
    Modok
    Sentry
    Void

Ant-Man
    Mordo
    Thor (Jane Foster)
    Loki
    Juggernaut
    Hela
    Phoenix
    Ronan
    Venompool
    Nebula
    Punisher (2099)
    Civil Warrior
    Doctor Octopus

Bold Text denotes Featured Champions.

Did you guys use your advanced analytics to avoid the best champs or something?

This is great information, Mike.!! This makes it so clear that buying new feature 5* crystal will be the dumbest thing ever.! We can all see right through it this is just the way of pushing people to buy 300 unit feature grand master crystals. Since save 5* shards don't make enough money for Kabam. Not sure about anyone else. But I'm sure as hell that I'm not buying them for a 1/24 shot at Venompool.!! Thanks, but no thanks.!