**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

Questions You're Afraid To Ask

Comments

• Options
    Scarcity27Scarcity27 Posts: 1,906 ★★★★★
    Crcrcrc said:

GGP:
    What is DPS?

Damage per second. It is used to rank characters based on how much average damage per second they do when attacking, rather than just looking at a big critting attack. The way you find dps is the total amount of damage divided by the amount of time in seconds it took to do that damage.
    Oh ok
    Thanks!
  • Options
    DareMartinDareMartin Posts: 11
    1. An awakening gem - so does that awaken the signature ability? Can that ability increase/change?
    2. A signature stone does the same as an awakening gem but slower?
    3. Why do some champs have abilities that you can turn on before a fight (like Invisible Woman)?
    4. What does it mean to recover mastery points - do you lose mastery skills?
    5. Before you start a fight, it shows you how many points the enemies have. How is that worked out/what does it refer to?
    6. Using boosts to increase points before a fight - does that mean your champ’s rating goes up?
    7. When I run out of energy I often ask my alliance for help but never seem to get it. Am I missing something?
    8. I don’t understand nodes at all - and how to use them.
    9. I understand that certain champs have synergy but how does it actually benefit you?
    10. I have an alliance ticket but never use it - what’s it for?
  • Options
    CrcrcrcCrcrcrc Posts: 7,940 ★★★★★

1. An awakening gem - so does that awaken the signature ability? Can that ability increase/change?
    3. Why do some champs have abilities that you can turn on before a fight (like Invisible Woman)?
    5. Before you start a fight, it shows you how many points the enemies have. How is that worked out/what does it refer to?
    6. Using boosts to increase points before a fight - does that mean your champ’s rating goes up?
    7. When I run out of energy I often ask my alliance for help but never seem to get it. Am I missing something?
    9. I understand that certain champs have synergy but how does it actually benefit you?

1. Awakening gems unlock the signature ability for use
    2. Signature stones boost the power of the awakened ability
    3. Those are prefight abilities and just boost the fight for the champ
    4. You reset back to 0 masteries with all the points available to use
    5. Points are the enemy's rating based off attack, health, and nodes
    6. Yes
    7. They aren't giving you help. Each person that helps you give 2 energy points anyway
    8. They are on the opponent. You just have to counter them
    9. The synergies basically add abilities to the synergy champs if you have both of them on your team
    10. It is an entry fee for alliance quest map 5 and up.
  • Options
    SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,805 ★★★★★

1. Yes, the gem unlocks the sig ability. It can increase up to 99 or 200 depending on star rating
    2. No, signature only make the sig ability go up and cannot unlock it
    3. Because that’s how Kabam made them
    4. You take the point out of all your masteries in one area and put them back in a different way if needed
    5. Health points in the tiny bar and attack underneath it
    6. For the duration of the boost yes
    7. Maybe they just don’t hit the help button. Each help only gives two energy
    8. They provide boosts to the champion on the node, normally the defender. You don’t reag use them except for alliance war defense
    9. The synergies give certain boosts or additional abilities to the champs involved in the synergy
    10. It’s for alliance quest
  • Options
    DareMartinDareMartin Posts: 11
    Thanks!
  • Options
    KerneasKerneas Posts: 3,741 ★★★★★
    OOC: Why is everyone talking about 1* Hulk but noone about 1* Wolverine? Hulk for caustic temper, yes, but without Wolverine, the boss has one solution in Blacl Panther, who has no regen and has thus much harder time at the final
  • Options
    SpideyFunkoSpideyFunko Posts: 21,805 ★★★★★
    Kerneas said:

OOC: Why is everyone talking about 1* Hulk but noone about 1* Wolverine? Hulk for caustic temper, yes, but without Wolverine, the boss has one solution in Blacl Panther, who has no regen and has thus much harder time at the final

yes, Wolverine is far better. Using BP for my first clear was a pain
  • Options
    DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,662 Guardian

DNA3000 said:

Djin said:

Was pure skill ever fixed? I honestly don’t know if it was.

@Scopeotoe987 Pure Skill was never broken.
    This was discussed a ton back then, but there are still people who aren't aware of what the problem actually was with Pure Skill. The problem stems from the fact that Pure Skill "ignores armor" which basically means the champion's attacks behave as if that many points of armor aren't there. It isn't like an armor debuff: if the target has 10% armor and you debuff it by -20%, it behaves as if it has -10% armor (I'm ignoring some complexity here for simplicity). But if Pure Skill ignores 20% armor and the target has 10% armor, it behaves as if it has zero armor. Pure Skill cannot make it seem like the target has less than zero armor. That's the critical difference between "reduces" and "ignores." Pure Skill can only benefit the player if the target they attack actually has enough armor to ignore.

The Pure Skill mastery was created in the pre-12.0 days when the armor rating of opponents could commonly be very high. But if everything, or almost everything you fight doesn't have a lot of armor, Pure Skill can't ignore what isn't there. So if everything you fight has less than 32% armor, there's no difference between Pure Skill rank 4 (which ignores 32% armor) and Pure Skill rank 5 (which ignores 64% armor). Rank 5 has no benefit. But not because there's anything wrong with Pure Skill. Rather, it is Kryptonite bullets in a world where all the Kryptonians left.

And it is worse than that, because critical hits *intrinsically* ignore the first 20% of armor. So attacking anything with less than 20% net armor will show no difference between having and not having Pure Skill. Only targets with more than 20% net armor will see any benefit. Only targets with more than 24% armor will see any benefit from rank 2, and only targets with more than 52% armor will see any benefit from rank 5.

Post 12.0, it became much less common to see such large armor and resistance mitigation values. This gave Pure Skill less to do, which devalued it. That's why there's an issue with Pure Skill, and why Pure Skill can't be "fixed" in a conventional sense. It isn't broken. It is just that what it does is less valuable today than when it was created, but this fact isn't obvious to players who spend a lot of resources ranking it up.

You can't "fix" Pure Skill in the sense of making it do what it did before. It does what it did before, it is just that nobody cares. The only way to address the issue of Pure Skill having insufficient value especially at high ranks is to make Pure Skill do something else, to restore value to the higher ranks. But it is debatable what that should be, and with no clear obvious change everyone would agree on, it has never become a priority to address.
    Should game developer do a refund for those rank where pure skill does little or nothing and then cap it to where it works max?

The current situation is not good for players who have no idea this is the position now.
    I don't think there's a good answer to this. If it was me, I would probably have refunded Pure Skill. But the problem is that unlike for other masteries where they refunded them, the mastery itself is not in a state where you can easily state whether people should be allowed to buy it or not. There are rare places where high armor exists. Do you also compensate players who claim they wanted to use Pure Skill in those circumstances and were blocked from doing so? If there was a plan to amend Pure Skill to something else, then you could refund everyone and then immediately present them with a decision on whether or not to buy it. But without that new alternative you'd refund everyone now, but people would still buy into it and then when it was eventually replaced you'd have to refund everyone again.

It is a sticky enough situation that I would probably make it a priority to just decide what should replace high rank Pure Skill and resolve the situation rather than let it drag on. But I can understand the desire to not do anything until a complete solution arrives.

I should point out it is possible that there *is* a solution in the works that requires game mechanical changes, and since those can take a very long time to implement the solution is sitting on the drawing board waiting for programmer time to implement the prerequisites for. I'm unaware of any such thing, but of course I wouldn't be unless a developer explicitly told me about such a thing.
  • Options
    Thicco_ModeThicco_Mode Posts: 8,852 ★★★★★

Why isn't Dormammu incinerate immune?
    I've seen the explanation, but can't remember or find it. If someone could help, that would be great

I think it's mystical energy or something, not fire
  • Options
    BuffBeastBuffBeast Posts: 1,075 ★★★★
    Is there any way to avoid darkhawks shield when he’s knocked down? It’s not that big of a deal but it can be annoying
  • Options

GGQ:
    1. How do you assign paths in map 6? I'm super confused
    2. Can I make someone else's mutant a horseman in aq with my apoc?

I tried 2 and it does work. My 6* apoc turned my allymates 5* wolvie to a horseman.

now I need help assigning paths
    Also, could you screenshot that? I know how it works with torch but I have no idea how you would do it with apoc
  • Options

Why isn't Dormammu incinerate immune?
    I've seen the explanation, but can't remember or find it. If someone could help, that would be great

Dormammu isn’t on fire, that’s the form he takes to the mortal eye. He is made up of pure magical power.
  • Options
    Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★
    BuffBeast said:

Is there any way to avoid darkhawks shield when he’s knocked down? It’s not that big of a deal but it can be annoying

If you mean avoiding Darkhawk's Shield Mode from triggering, it's unavoidable since it's not affected by AAR. If you're talking about his Autoblock, True Accuracy and True Sense bypass Autoblock mechanics, so characters like Proxima, Aegon, and Red Goblin are all Autoblock counters.
  • Options

BuffBeast said:

If you mean avoiding Darkhawk's Shield Mode from triggering, it's unavoidable since it's not affected by AAR. If you're talking about his Autoblock, True Accuracy and True Sense bypass Autoblock mechanics, so characters like Proxima, Aegon, and Red Goblin are all Autoblock counters.
    I was in fact talking about his shield mode. Shoulda been more specific. Anyway, thank you!
  • Options
    BuffBeast said:

GGQ:

I tried 2 and it does work. My 6* apoc turned my allymates 5* wolvie to a horseman.

Also, could you screenshot that? I know how it works with torch but I have no idea how you would do it with apoc
    @BuffBeast so have you and another ally mate on the same fight. Click on the fight so you're on the screen where you choose between your 3 people. activate the apoc pre fight and back out. let your ally mate take it with their mutant
  • Options

BuffBeast said:

GGQ:

@BuffBeast so have you and another ally mate on the same fight. Click on the fight so you're on the screen where you choose between your 3 people. activate the apoc pre fight and back out. let your ally mate take it with their mutant
    Very nice trick to know. Now just need to pull apoc from my next featured
  • Options
    BuffBeast said:

BuffBeast said:

GGQ:

Very nice trick to know. Now just need to pull apoc from my next featured
    Yeah the unfortunate thing is they dont get the apoc synergies so it's not the full experience
  • Options
    spiderknight616spiderknight616 Posts: 456 ★★★
    How do people post screenshots of Nexus crystals and not pick a choice for hours? Does it stay like that until you do or does the crystal go back into unopened and simply give you the same choices when you pop it again?
  • Options
    Notsavage19Notsavage19 Posts: 2,817 ★★★★★

How do people post screenshots of Nexus crystals and not pick a choice for hours? Does it stay like that until you do or does the crystal go back into unopened and simply give you the same choices when you pop it again?

It stays like that. If you quit the game, the first thing you'll see when it loads back up is that Nexus choice. After you open a Nexus, I don't think there's any way to access any other part of the game.
  • Options
    FluffyPigMonsterFluffyPigMonster Posts: 2,069 ★★★★★

CGR2020 said:

1: How do champs like Killmonger and Korg hold weapons behind them without anything to hold them?
    2: Where was it confirmed that Sorcerer Supremo's name is Kali?

Sorcerer Supremo's sounds like a pizzeria
    It’s like Pizza Overlord in American Dad
  • Options
    winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,772 ★★★★★
    DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Djin said:

This was discussed a ton back then, but there are still people who aren't aware of what the problem actually was with Pure Skill. The problem stems from the fact that Pure Skill "ignores armor" which basically means the champion's attacks behave as if that many points of armor aren't there. It isn't like an armor debuff: if the target has 10% armor and you debuff it by -20%, it behaves as if it has -10% armor (I'm ignoring some complexity here for simplicity). But if Pure Skill ignores 20% armor and the target has 10% armor, it behaves as if it has zero armor. Pure Skill cannot make it seem like the target has less than zero armor. That's the critical difference between "reduces" and "ignores." Pure Skill can only benefit the player if the target they attack actually has enough armor to ignore.

The Pure Skill mastery was created in the pre-12.0 days when the armor rating of opponents could commonly be very high. But if everything, or almost everything you fight doesn't have a lot of armor, Pure Skill can't ignore what isn't there. So if everything you fight has less than 32% armor, there's no difference between Pure Skill rank 4 (which ignores 32% armor) and Pure Skill rank 5 (which ignores 64% armor). Rank 5 has no benefit. But not because there's anything wrong with Pure Skill. Rather, it is Kryptonite bullets in a world where all the Kryptonians left.

And it is worse than that, because critical hits *intrinsically* ignore the first 20% of armor. So attacking anything with less than 20% net armor will show no difference between having and not having Pure Skill. Only targets with more than 20% net armor will see any benefit. Only targets with more than 24% armor will see any benefit from rank 2, and only targets with more than 52% armor will see any benefit from rank 5.

Post 12.0, it became much less common to see such large armor and resistance mitigation values. This gave Pure Skill less to do, which devalued it. That's why there's an issue with Pure Skill, and why Pure Skill can't be "fixed" in a conventional sense. It isn't broken. It is just that what it does is less valuable today than when it was created, but this fact isn't obvious to players who spend a lot of resources ranking it up.

You can't "fix" Pure Skill in the sense of making it do what it did before. It does what it did before, it is just that nobody cares. The only way to address the issue of Pure Skill having insufficient value especially at high ranks is to make Pure Skill do something else, to restore value to the higher ranks. But it is debatable what that should be, and with no clear obvious change everyone would agree on, it has never become a priority to address.
    Should game developer do a refund for those rank where pure skill does little or nothing and then cap it to where it works max?

The current situation is not good for players who have no idea this is the position now.
    I don't think there's a good answer to this. If it was me, I would probably have refunded Pure Skill. But the problem is that unlike for other masteries where they refunded them, the mastery itself is not in a state where you can easily state whether people should be allowed to buy it or not. There are rare places where high armor exists. Do you also compensate players who claim they wanted to use Pure Skill in those circumstances and were blocked from doing so? If there was a plan to amend Pure Skill to something else, then you could refund everyone and then immediately present them with a decision on whether or not to buy it. But without that new alternative you'd refund everyone now, but people would still buy into it and then when it was eventually replaced you'd have to refund everyone again.

It is a sticky enough situation that I would probably make it a priority to just decide what should replace high rank Pure Skill and resolve the situation rather than let it drag on. But I can understand the desire to not do anything until a complete solution arrives.

I should point out it is possible that there *is* a solution in the works that requires game mechanical changes, and since those can take a very long time to implement the solution is sitting on the drawing board waiting for programmer time to implement the prerequisites for. I'm unaware of any such thing, but of course I wouldn't be unless a developer explicitly told me about such a thing.
    I was thinking they could consider to refund only rank 4 and 5 and then cap that mastery at rank 3 (since it is close to 100% effectiveness) while they are working on a solution.

The current position is lot like owing a creditor x amount of money for y number of invoices but refusing to pay any sum at all to that creditor because one of the y invoices have a mistake. At least pay those that are correct.

• Options
    DjinDjin Posts: 1,962 ★★★★★

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Djin said:

I was thinking they could consider to refund only rank 4 and 5 and then cap that mastery at rank 3 (since it is close to 100% effectiveness) while they are working on a solution.

The current position is lot like owing a creditor x amount of money for y number of invoices but refusing to pay any sum at all to that creditor because one of the y invoices have a mistake. At least pay those that are correct.
    What's the point? When they fix it people will unlock it again. And we all know Kabam, they'll refund skill mastery cores not units.
  • Options
    winterthurwinterthur Posts: 7,772 ★★★★★
    Djin said:

DNA3000 said:

DNA3000 said:

Djin said:

What's the point? When they fix it people will unlock it again. And we all know Kabam, they'll refund skill mastery cores not units.
    It is not correct. The refund will be loyalty and probably units but certainly not skill mastery cores.

The point is to be fair to those who invested into pure skill rank 4 and 5 and it is not adding any value at all save against very specific champs.
  • Options
    Can someone link the thread detailing all the rewards this month's SQ has to offer?
  • Options

Can someone link the thread detailing all the rewards this month's SQ has to offer?

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/240674/get-in-summoners-we-re-going-shopping-updated-jan-6-2021/p1
  • Options
    Crcrcrc said:

https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/240674/get-in-summoners-we-re-going-shopping-updated-jan-6-2021/p1
    Thanks but I didn't mean this one. There was another post detailing all the rewards with pics
  • Options
    RaviDaviRaviDavi Posts: 800 ★★★

Crcrcrc said:

Thanks but I didn't mean this one. There was another post detailing all the rewards with pics
    https://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/244200/side-quest-reference-infographic-updated-all-difficulties#latest

This one?