**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
We have not set an end-date for the new period, but we will update this banner when we have more information.

New Arena Structure Feedback v2.0

Comments

• JadedJaded Posts: 5,476 ★★★★★

Jaded said:

Reducing the 6* points in the basic 6* arena isn’t the right step. Some people don’t have the time to run through 100 6* on the feature then 160 5* on the basic to hit all the milestones in both.

It’s QOL change that has gone in reverse imo.

What were those people doing before the arenas changed? 6*s weren't allowed in the basic arena.
    I’m sorry, I might be unclear here. I don’t think the new arenas need to be changed. They are fine as they are NOW. The new arenas setup is fine. Not optimal, but better justice than previous.
  • SantiagoEhsaanSantiagoEhsaan Posts: 126
    The changes are really good....Kabam has my support for this one.
  • WorknprogressWorknprogress Posts: 7,233 ★★★★★

Jaded said:

Reducing the 6* points in the basic 6* arena isn’t the right step. Some people don’t have the time to run through 100 6* on the feature then 160 5* on the basic to hit all the milestones in both.

What were those people doing before the arenas changed? 6*s weren't allowed in the basic arena.
    A completely moot point bc you couldn't get a 6* champ from the basic arena.
  • GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,234 ★★★★★
    Ben93 said:

Ben93 said:

Yay thanks Kabam ! Now I have to stop leveling up my 5 and 6*s to level up 4*s to get units :)
    Personally, I hate playing my 4* champions because they are very old so not fun to play, and I don't want to waste my t4cc and t4b (that we need to rank up our 6*s to rank 2 by the way) to rank up 4*s to r4 or r5.
    Plus, let's be honest, because of the reload timer, you cannot get as many points as you used to in the pre-Shang-Chi arenas.
    You give more points by using 1 and 2*s champs, but don't forget that they still give few points because of their low prestiges. So why did you top the arena at 4.4M? This is too much.

If people never stopped Ranking 4*s to begin with, they wouldn't be at a loss.
    Why should I waste t4b and t4cc ranking up 4*s if I will never use them ? I prefer to have a huge diversity with 6r2/5r5 than spending catalysts with absolutely useless 4*s. Maybe you say that because you don't have access to act 6 ?
    Can't say you'll never use them when they keep introducing ways to use them.
  • TreininTreinin Posts: 214 ★★★
    Feel like you over-compensated too far the other way with this change. Putting half the total available units in the arena for 4* and below is going to make it a massively boring / many round grind for those who want milestones.

Surely there was a happy place in the middle where you could leave the 200 units in the 6* featured (keep it at 16.5 million) and then adjust the 6* basic to say 6m points (I don't mind the lowered points for 6*s there) and have say.. 160 or so units there, and then flesh it out with 180 units in the bottom arena instead of 270 and a bit less brutal milestones there. 4M with 4* and below feels like such a slog.

• NeverWasBornNeverWasBorn Posts: 58
    @Kabam Miike what is the point of increasing 1* and 2* points while we can't use them anyway due to deathmatches? can you stop deathmatches? that would help in 6* basic arena too and you promised it before in dev diaries if you still remember.
  • KnightZeroKnightZero Posts: 1,413 ★★★★★
    Treinin said:

Feel like you over-compensated too far the other way with this change. Putting half the total available units in the arena for 4* and below is going to make it a massively boring / many round grind for those who want milestones.

Surely there was a happy place in the middle where you could leave the 200 units in the 6* featured (keep it at 16.5 million) and then adjust the 6* basic to say 6m points (I don't mind the lowered points for 6*s there) and have say.. 160 or so units there, and then flesh it out with 180 units in the bottom arena instead of 270 and a bit less brutal milestones there. 4M with 4* and below feels like such a slog.

I agree with the fact that 4M is a slog. That's for sure and I feel that it could be reduced. But I think the point of the units being put there is so that the lower players have units too. This is how it was earlier. Before 6* Basic and Featured. You would get 135x2 from 4* and 5* Featured and 270 units from 2*/3*/4* Basic arena.
  • KnightZeroKnightZero Posts: 1,413 ★★★★★

I'm glad everyone with undeveloped rosters is happy, but I had no intention of ever going for a featured 6 champ. I did have plans to occasionally go for an older basic 6 I am missing from time to time. But now, an arena I've been looking forward to for years (6* basic) has been ruined for me to give an easier time to folks with under developed rosters.

Been working hard exploring all content, etc. for years to develope my 6 star roster. And one of the rewards of all this work was an easier time in arena the more my roster grows. I spent years grinding arena with 3 and 4 star lol.. I've already paid my dues to get where I am. But now, newer players are just going to bypass putting in the work now? So, the work we put in as veteran players is now worth nothing? What's the message you are sending here? That's there's no point to working hard to grow your roster because at the end of the day, it won't provide any benefit to you? What's the point of progressing at all then??

And, anyone who says.. "Bro, chill.. the basic isn't ruined for you. You can still compete for basic champs." is being disingenuous. If they try to act like my time investment of years hasn't been severely devalued by this change to the arena. After investing over 4 years of my time in this game, why on earth would I think it's fair to be on "even footing" with someone who's only invested one year into the same game. If anyone would like to say that veteran players' time investment in this game hasn't been completely devalued by this change is welcome to provide an intelligent counter argument.

Understand this. Definitely do. They should have kept milestones as is and piled units in the earlier ones for the basic tbf.
  • hungryhungrybbqhungryhungrybbq Posts: 2,106 ★★★★★
    edited June 2021

I'm glad everyone with undeveloped rosters is happy, but I had no intention of ever going for a featured 6 champ. I did have plans to occasionally go for an older basic 6 I am missing from time to time. But now, an arena I've been looking forward to for years (6* basic) has been ruined for me to give an easier time to folks with under developed rosters.

Been working hard exploring all content, etc. for years to develope my 6 star roster. And one of the rewards of all this work was an easier time in arena the more my roster grows. I spent years grinding arena with 3 and 4 star lol.. I've already paid my dues to get where I am. But now, newer players are just going to bypass putting in the work now? So, the work we put in as veteran players is now worth nothing? What's the message you are sending here? That's there's no point to working hard to grow your roster because at the end of the day, it won't provide any benefit to you? What's the point of progressing at all then??

And, anyone who says.. "Bro, chill.. the basic isn't ruined for you. You can still compete for basic champs." is being disingenuous. If they try to act like my time investment of years hasn't been severely devalued by this change to the arena. After investing over 4 years of my time in this game, why on earth would I think it's fair to be on "even footing" with someone who's only invested one year into the same game. If anyone would like to say that veteran players' time investment in this game hasn't been completely devalued by this change is welcome to provide an intelligent counter argument.

Understand this. Definitely do. They should have kept milestones as is and piled units in the earlier ones for the basic tbf.
    Yeah, in the original thread, I was pleading for a change that doesn't hurt *any* player. What this has done is just change which players are hurt by it. As I said in the previous thread as well, if they are worried about veteran players having too easy access to lower milestones units, just lock them out of the trials if they enter both the basic and featured. I'd rather be locked out of the trials and still get the option of using my 6 star champs at the full value they had previously in the basic arena.

Really though, I used 6 star champs to complete for 5 star champs before. Now, in the new basic arena I'm supposed to go backwards? And use 5 star champs to compete for 6 stars... I really don't see how folks don't see the problem with this. Smh
  • mdm_mimdm_mi Posts: 45
    I like the changes, but I feel that they still need to add a way in the 4* Arena to get the featured 3* from a milestone. This was recently introduced as a way for everyone to have the new champ without heavy grinding. No reason to take it away.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,649 Guardian
    Crine60 said:

I also don't understand what you said in your prior response to my post about being able to get a 6* from the arena meaning that you have to allow 6* champs to play in that arena. Why can't we be able to win the 6* but only allow 5* at highest to do the fights?

Because the people in charge of overall reward balancing in the game do not believe that is appropriate. Sometimes you have to pick winnable fights.
  • DNA3000DNA3000 Posts: 18,649 Guardian
    Treinin said:

That's what it was originally. Those units were originally in the 2* trials, 3* featured, and 4* basic. It takes basically the same amount of grind to reach that 4m milestone as it originally did to get all the milestones from those three arenas.

I get the feeling there is a segment of the player population that thinks the amount of units in the arenas was too low, and this was an opportunity to increase them sky-high. That is most definitely not the case. We were never going to get a lot more units, the only question was how to distribute them in a way that it was possible to earn them with similar effort compared to the original arenas. Everywhere that had more units available than originally were units taken away from opportunities other players lost.
    DNA3000 said:

I've been grinding arena since almost the beginning. I started in the old school arenas grinding for 3* champs. I've been doing all the milestones most of the time in the post 12.0 arenas, and grinding out the 1-5% in the featured 5* for as long as those existed. I've even been doing all the milestones and the top bracket rank rewards (1-5%) in the current iteration (or at least shooting for them, I've gotten them most of the time). I literally have no idea what you are talking about when you say new players are "just going to bypass putting in the work" or that the work "we veterans" put in is "now worth nothing." As in: I literally have no idea how anyone could think that.

The new 4/5/6 Featured arena is going to almost exactly the same as the previous 5* featured arena except it contains a megaton more 6* shards and a 6* rank reward. Exactly zero percent of those new players will have any realistic shot at those rewards. For veteran arena grinders with strong rosters, the 6* featured arena is a better version of the original 5* featured; better in every way for the same amount of effort.

The new Basic arena is an analog to the original 4* featured arena. And while there is a valid issue in streak building for newer players with weaker rosters, for veteran arena grinders with strong rosters this is immaterial. The Basic is essentially the old 4* featured with better rewards, and you can use 6* champs in it (for not a lot of advantage, but that can't be a negative compared to not using them at all). In terms of veteran arena grinders with strong rosters, the Basic arena is a better version of the 4* featured in every important way.

The new Trials arena is basically a combination of the old 2* trials, 3* featured, and 4* basic. If you were not farming those for units, then the new Trials doesn't matter. If you were, the new Trials will be more or less just as good so long as you have a reasonably strong 4* roster. New players that have progressed quickly through the game could have leapfrogged over building 4* rosters and might have a disadvantage there, but long term veteran players are far less likely to have underpowered 4* rosters, because they didn't have the same opportunity to leapfrog 4* rarity. They had to build 4* rosters, back when that was the only thing they could build.

It is debatable how players with smaller rosters will adapt to the new arenas. But the one class of players that should not be complaining are the long term veteran players with expansive rosters that have been grinding the arena for a long time. They have the roster to make the transition, and are the least likely to be impacted negatively. They, or rather we, have seen enough arena evolution over the years to know better.
    My point is simple. The 6 star roster I have spent years building has been severely devalued in the basic arena. I see you are mentioning milestones. Sure, I'm assuming the milestone change will "be a wash" for me, but we'll see. However, the primary focus of my post though was competing for basic 6 star champs. By nerfing 6 star points to the level of 5 star, it's literally removed all the benefits of having 6 stars in your roster (as it relates to the basic arena). It has completely devalued my roster and the time investment it took to build it. If the benefits and/or competitive edge of having 6 stars has literally been removed from the basic arena, why on earth did I spend so much effort to obtain them?

As for the Featured arena. I did state in the beginning of the post that I had no intention of competing for Featured 6 star champs. I know my limits. I did however have plans to compete for a basic 6 from time to time. There has to be some benefit to growing your roster.. if not, what is the point of the game? The tradition in arenas has always been, the more time you invest, the more you pay your dues the more valuable the arenas will become for you. Like a reward for your effort in itself basically.

Now, this is what I mean by newer players "bypassing" the effort veterans put in. They can now compete for 6 star champions with 5 stars... They're literally skipping an entire step in the process. They can now have even footing in a competition for champions as folks who have put in 2, 3 or even 4x the time they have into the game. Which in a sense devalues the time I've spent growing my roster. Does this make sense?

Don't get me wrong, I almost always agree with your posts. I'm just failing to see how this is ok as it relates to the competitive nature grinding for the 6 star basic champ.
    DNA3000 said:

I've been grinding arena since almost the beginning. I started in the old school arenas grinding for 3* champs. I've been doing all the milestones most of the time in the post 12.0 arenas, and grinding out the 1-5% in the featured 5* for as long as those existed. I've even been doing all the milestones and the top bracket rank rewards (1-5%) in the current iteration (or at least shooting for them, I've gotten them most of the time). I literally have no idea what you are talking about when you say new players are "just going to bypass putting in the work" or that the work "we veterans" put in is "now worth nothing." As in: I literally have no idea how anyone could think that.

The new 4/5/6 Featured arena is going to almost exactly the same as the previous 5* featured arena except it contains a megaton more 6* shards and a 6* rank reward. Exactly zero percent of those new players will have any realistic shot at those rewards. For veteran arena grinders with strong rosters, the 6* featured arena is a better version of the original 5* featured; better in every way for the same amount of effort.

The new Basic arena is an analog to the original 4* featured arena. And while there is a valid issue in streak building for newer players with weaker rosters, for veteran arena grinders with strong rosters this is immaterial. The Basic is essentially the old 4* featured with better rewards, and you can use 6* champs in it (for not a lot of advantage, but that can't be a negative compared to not using them at all). In terms of veteran arena grinders with strong rosters, the Basic arena is a better version of the 4* featured in every important way.

The new Trials arena is basically a combination of the old 2* trials, 3* featured, and 4* basic. If you were not farming those for units, then the new Trials doesn't matter. If you were, the new Trials will be more or less just as good so long as you have a reasonably strong 4* roster. New players that have progressed quickly through the game could have leapfrogged over building 4* rosters and might have a disadvantage there, but long term veteran players are far less likely to have underpowered 4* rosters, because they didn't have the same opportunity to leapfrog 4* rarity. They had to build 4* rosters, back when that was the only thing they could build.

It is debatable how players with smaller rosters will adapt to the new arenas. But the one class of players that should not be complaining are the long term veteran players with expansive rosters that have been grinding the arena for a long time. They have the roster to make the transition, and are the least likely to be impacted negatively. They, or rather we, have seen enough arena evolution over the years to know better.
    Let me preface by saying I almost always agree with your posts and appreciate the effort and information that's contained in them. I think we are missing each other here though. My post doesn't really refer to milestones. I'm just going to operate under the assumption that's its going to be "a wash" for me (equal effort as before) and a marked improvement for newer players. I'm primarily referring to actually competing for a basic 6 star champ.

As stated, I have no intention of competing for a 6 star Featured. I know my limits. And I know I'll never likely have the time to do it. I was however excited at the announcement of a basic 6 star arena. I felt (with my roster, which I've worked hard to build) I could probably finally see the benefits of it by occasionally pushing myself to obtain an older basic 6 star champ from time to time. So, the argument that veteran players shouldn't complain about the changes to the basic because, after all, they can just go use their 6 stars in the featured falls short for me. And anyone like me, who has a nice amount of 6 stars and was looking forward to an opportunity to grind for basic champs sometimes.

If all of the benefits of having a 6 star roster have been removed from the competition, it effectively devalues my roster and the time I've spent building it. As now, someone who has a mainly 5 star roster can come and compete for a 6 star basic champion using 5 stars just as effectively. Without spending all the time I/we have to build our rosters to become competitive in this arena. This is what I meant by "bypass" the effort we put in growing our rosters. I really don't see how this point is missed here tbh.

I'm all for being educated on what I'm missing here. Sincerely. But atm, I can't see how removing 6 stars from the competition doesn't devalue my roster. If you or others are suggesting that the number of rounds (effort) required to win a basic 6 will remain relatively unchanged, I guess we can see how that plays out. But even if it does, I'm now competing with a totally different pool of players.

So, for example... before this change, the pool of folks competing for a basic 6 consisted mostly of folks with developed 6 star rosters, right? In this pool of competitors, I had the advantage of going for an older basic 6 that a lot of these "veteran" players probably already have/don't need. Thereby decreasing the demand/amount of players interested in competing for them. Now, if we introduce a whole new group of players to the pool of competitors who suddenly find themselves able to compete for a 6 star champ using 5 stars. This dynamic changes drastically. I'm now suddenly competing with less developed accounts who will have a much greater chance of also needing the same champ I do. Because they are markedly less like to already have that champ than veteran players (my former competition) do. Make sense at all?

This, and simply the fact that Kabam is literally asking me to move backwards... In a *new* arena. 😅 We used to use 6 star champs to grind for 5 star. Now, they want us to use 5 star to compete for 6 stars? How am I the only one that thinks this is backwards?
    Welp, that kind of double posted.. sorry:)
  • TrashyPandaTrashyPanda Posts: 1,574 ★★★★★
    My opinion depends heavily on how deathmatches work out, mostly for the 6* basic arena.

I do wish the peak milestone of Trials was a little lower, like 3 to 3.5m, but I might not think this way if it weren't for the previous arena change.

4*s are a bit expensive to rank just for arena fodder. Kabam is making the t1a rain recently, but the t4b is still too much just for this. Here's hoping 3*s and 4r3s don't make the grind terrible.

Overall the change is better than the old arenas, and far better than the new arenas. I think most people outraged at this are probably people who just enjoy being outraged.

That said, it feels like we walked 2 miles through a swamp to get 1 mile closer to a goal.

My opinion depends heavily on how deathmatches work out, mostly for the 6* basic arena.

I do wish the peak milestone of Trials was a little lower, like 3 to 3.5m, but I might not think this way if it weren't for the previous arena change.

4*s are a bit expensive to rank just for arena fodder. Kabam is making the t1a rain recently, but the t4b is still too much just for this. Here's hoping 3*s and 4r3s don't make the grind terrible.

Overall the change is better than the old arenas, and far better than the new arenas. I think most people outraged at this are probably people who just enjoy being outraged.

That said, it feels like we walked 2 miles through a swamp to get 1 mile closer to a goal.

Nah, I actually prefer happiness and positivity to outrage. 🙂
    But yeah, not a fan of being told the 6 roster I spent years working on is now useless in the one arena I was most excited about.

• LeNoirFaineantLeNoirFaineant Posts: 8,638 ★★★★★

Jaded said:

A completely moot point bc you couldn't get a 6* champ from the basic arena.
    That's true but he was talking about hitting the milestones in both arenas.
  • PocketNerdPocketNerd Posts: 43
    Top milestone just became that much harder to obtain....

Greaaaat. Just great.
  • TheBoogyManTheBoogyMan Posts: 2,094 ★★★★★

Quite frankly this is as disappointing as the previous version.

It’s taken all this time and effort to come up with the original arena system condensed into 3 arenas.

Where is the QOL changes oh right there isn’t any, same effort required which is a butt ton of arena for progressing players to get anywhere. (I’m end game myself so yes the 5/6 star arenas will get done quicker for me)

But really 4 million with 2/3/4 stars that’s 120 rounds of just 4 max stars can’t we ease the pain for newer players or do you want to turn them all away Kabam???

4 mil milestone is the reason why the points from 1 and 2 star champions has increased. So that people don't have to rely on only 4 star champs. It makes the grinding a tad bit easier. You'd still have to do a lot of arenas but it is doable with some time commitment.