**TROUBLES LOGGING IN**
We are aware of an issue causing issues for some Summoners attempting to connect to MCOC. We are currently investigating and are hoping to have resolution soon.
Thank you for your patience.
Options

Why battlegrounds is the worst format they created.

Comments

• Options
    CoppinCoppin Posts: 2,601 ★★★★★
    edited February 2023
    Pikolu said:

Coppin said:

So... Lets say u play 3 matches a day..
    What the casual player wants in a "competitive mode"
    Day 1 Bronze 3: Win 2 Lose 1 Promoted (reward)
    Day 2: Bronze 2: Win 2 Lose 1 Promoted (reward)
    Day 3: Bronze 1: Win 2 Lose 1 Promoted (Reward)
    Day 4: Silver 3: Win 2 Lose 1 2 coins!!!
    Day 5: Silver 3: Win 2 Lose 1 Promoted (Reward!!)
    Day 6: Silver 2: Win 2 Lose 1 Promoted!! (Reward!!)

How on earth is this about playing a mode and not the rewards...

What if day 1 you win 2 but you lost 1 in between? Your flawed example has the first few losses not mean anything. So going along you'd hit the bottom bronze 2 by the end of day 2.

This also assumes a win/loss rate of 66% which most casual players are more than likely going to be seeing a more 50/50 win loss rate. So to fix your example

Day 1: Bronze 3 win 1 lose 1 win 1 (you have 1 token)
    Day 2: bronze 3 win 2 lose 1 (you are bottom of bronze 2)
    Day 3: bronze 2 win 1 lose 2
    Day 4: win 2 lose 1 (promotion yay)
    Day 5 somehow win 2 lose 1 yay another promotion
    Day 6: win 2 lose 1
    Day 7: win 1 lose 2
    Day 8 win 2 lose 1
    Day 9 win 1 lose 2.

Can you see the frustration players can have trying to get 3 wins without using victory shields?
    It doesnt matter if u loss in between.. 1st or 3rd because they want to eliminate lossing coins.. so you are promoted either way..
    You are right.. use it with 4 matches on a 50/50...does it really matter when losing doesn't make you lose a coin?
  • Options
    GroundedWisdomGroundedWisdom Posts: 36,275 ★★★★★
    Yes, Rewards are always a part of the game mode. They go hand-in-hand. What it is NOT, is ALL about the Rewards. I find that infuriatingly dismissive to imply. In fact, the people who are all about the Rewards are the ones who refuse to acknowledge that someone else's gaming experience is also valid.
    People want a competitive mode. They don't want a mode that is SO competitive that it is overrun by the MOST competitive playing it. Which is not an unreasonable ask.
    It's not fair or even accurate to say they don't want a real competition just because they don't want to be unreasonably overpowered at the start of the competition. There is no progressing in that for them. Nor is it remotely an enjoyable or motivating experience. So they communicate their issues, and then what? They're told to either do other content, or "Git gud.", or they're dismissed as being entitled for wanting Rewards without the competition.
    There is such thing as being competitive to the point of being ignorant to the experiences of others. It's not ALL about the Rewards. It's disenfranchising to say their view doesn't count because they're not at the top.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Pikolu said:

Coppin said:

Pikolu said:

Coppin said:

What if day 1 you win 2 but you lost 1 in between? Your flawed example has the first few losses not mean anything. So going along you'd hit the bottom bronze 2 by the end of day 2.

This also assumes a win/loss rate of 66% which most casual players are more than likely going to be seeing a more 50/50 win loss rate. So to fix your example

Day 1: Bronze 3 win 1 lose 1 win 1 (you have 1 token)
    Day 2: bronze 3 win 2 lose 1 (you are bottom of bronze 2)
    Day 3: bronze 2 win 1 lose 2
    Day 4: win 2 lose 1 (promotion yay)
    Day 5 somehow win 2 lose 1 yay another promotion
    Day 6: win 2 lose 1
    Day 7: win 1 lose 2
    Day 8 win 2 lose 1
    Day 9 win 1 lose 2.

Can you see the frustration players can have trying to get 3 wins without using victory shields?
    It doesnt matter if u loss in between.. 1st or 3rd because they want to eliminate lossing coins.. so you are promoted either way..
    You are right.. use it with 4 matches on a 50/50...does it really matter when losing doesn't make you lose a coin?
    That's what I'm saying, if you lose between wins, you will lose a coin and be backtracked. The system players aren't liking is you have to literally get lucky with matchmaking to win 2 in a row.
    But the casual players wanna eliminate the coin loss!!.. so basically every day or every other day they are going up a tier...
    If you eliminate the coin loss.. and get a 50% win rate u will climb up a tier every other day regardless.. its stupid ...
  • Options

Coppin said:

That's like complaining that people complete Story to gain the rewards and the only loss is time and items/units.
    Yeah except story is not PVP.. and it can be won thru farmed items and units.. a huge difference don't u think?
    Read Jax's post...
  • Options

Coppin said:

Coppin said:

That's like complaining that people complete Story to gain the rewards and the only loss is time and items/units.
    Yeah except story is not PVP.. and it can be won thru farmed items and units.. a huge difference don't u think?
    Read Jax's post...
    I did read his posts, have you read mine? I don't consider GC a real competition due to its matchmaking bands.
    If u read it i dunno why u bring out the story mode comparisson... The argument in here is that casual players feel left out cause they can't win 3 in a row...
    I even had the OP tell me if casual players didn't play i wouldn't make it to GC @Rav514 ... Yeah im sure i got matched with every casual and he gets matched with every hardcore that's why he can't move up..
  • Options
    DrZola said:

Yes, Rewards are always a part of the game mode. They go hand-in-hand. What it is NOT, is ALL about the Rewards. I find that infuriatingly dismissive to imply. In fact, the people who are all about the Rewards are the ones who refuse to acknowledge that someone else's gaming experience is also valid.
    People want a competitive mode. They don't want a mode that is SO competitive that it is overrun by the MOST competitive playing it. Which is not an unreasonable ask.
    It's not fair or even accurate to say they don't want a real competition just because they don't want to be unreasonably overpowered at the start of the competition. There is no progressing in that for them. Nor is it remotely an enjoyable or motivating experience. So they communicate their issues, and then what? They're told to either do other content, or "Git gud.", or they're dismissed as being entitled for wanting Rewards without the competition.
    There is such thing as being competitive to the point of being ignorant to the experiences of others. It's not ALL about the Rewards. It's disenfranchising to say their view doesn't count because they're not at the top.

Disenfranchisement? This is a phone game, not apartheid.

Dr. Zola
    Colorful, perhaps. Not far off.
  • Options
    Angryneeson52Angryneeson52 Posts: 445 ★★★
    Rav514 said:

jdeck59 said:

Can't wait to read this guys take on EOP if he can't even hang in Battlegrounds

Im 4 of 6 runs done with eop

Paragon level player with legend title
    Look me up
    So is my level 49 account
  • Options
    Wu_Bangerz23Wu_Bangerz23 Posts: 841 ★★★
    The biggest issue in the game isn't the matchmaking or the scoring system....it's when you fight the fight of your life and go to pat yourself on the back only to see the game did it's "you logged off bug....here's zero points". It's soul crushing and it never happens when I get wrecked....it only happens when I fight near perfect fights. If that bug was fixed I honestly would power through the rest as eventually you can string three in a row together ....I'm casual at best and currently at d3. I open 2-4 6 stars a week because of bg so I can't complain about that but they need to send everyone a fat compensation as this is just beyond deflating and either fix this particular issue or drop the game mode until it can be fixed
  • Options

Coppin said:

Kabam Jax said:

Hey Summoners.

I'm going to collect a lot of comments from various other conversations we've had in the forums over the last little while to address a lot of this thread, so forgive me if you've heard this before.

"If you die to a boss in any fight, you can say “ well i took iff “x”% of his health let me buy a revive and continue...
    In bg, if you die, you can’t continue for where you were at so you a set back...
    No other part of this game has this effect."

We have chatted in past about how Battlegrounds is the first true competitive PVP mode in MCOC. Previously, every challenge could/would end in success, with enough time, energy and resources. Naturally, this means BGs is going to be a departure for players and is bound to cause some discomfort. Every single matchup between two players means 50% of that matchup is receiving a loss; this is inevitable.

"Can you can really blame ppl for hacking it when kabam can make it fair and enjoyable from the start."
    Yes. Yes we can blame people for hacking. In no way does frustration justify cheating. The game mode is fair insofar as everyone is dealing with the same system, and trying to circumnavigate that system out of frustration, or any other motivation, is not tolerated.

Why not create a casual mode, too?
    A casual would not operate in the fashion laid out in this thread. We are not looking to give the same rewards for less work. We understand that the lens many Summoners view the game through is one of: "Where can I get the best rewards; that's where I'm going to dedicate my time." But simply putting time into BGs does not result in rewards, as previously mentioned; the PVP nature of the mode requires you to overcome other Summoners. We have largely found the highest rewards from this game mode are going to the players who are putting in the most time.

Are you suggesting that nothing about Battlegrounds needs to change?
    Not at all. And we've talked about it repeatedly on the forums. Changes are coming to Battlegrounds structure and matchmaking, some that may have been suggested in this thread...
    It won't happen all at once and needs to be changed over time to avoid too many moving parts, but the team is constantly evaluating the game mode and are looking for opportunities to make improvements; they have some good ideas.

We have chatted a lot, and seen a lot of conversations, about how this game is growing to a point where you cannot reasonably expect to do everything in a given month. We have seen the growing pains for Summoners who don't want to prioritize or make choices about what to play and what to let slip. MCOC is growing to a point where you should play the game modes you enjoy most. There's something for everyone, even if you're not looking for a competitive mode.

I would like to add something to this..
    I would dare anyone to give an example of ANY competitive mode, professional sport or anything at all... Where losing a match just slows u down instead of punishing u...
    The idea of losses not taking coins allows for brute force... Who cares if i lose.. i just gotta win 3 later... Does it matter if i lose 20 rounds in a row?.. winning 1 out of 10 will keep me climbing.. and that is not competition!
    I would give as my example every sport or competition I can think of. NBA for instance: your wins and losses are collected over the season. After playing a set number those records are compared to determine playoff ranking. Losing doesn't affect it mathematically the same way as bg. To narrow it, in the playoffs losing a game stops your progress but does not take you backwards. Maybe shoots and ladders is the only game I can compare bg to equally.
    It doesn't take u backwards.. u collect rewards and keep going... Can u drop from Silver 3 to Bronze 1?
  • Options
    Skydad23Skydad23 Posts: 541 ★★★

VT is part of the competition...It also has rewards...
    That's the problem . People are dividing VT and GC as separate competitions.. and its the same competition...if the win deduction didn't happen everyone would be in GC in a matter of time.. so yeah u would be gunning to it...
    Ok fine how about we ask for this...
    Lets ask Kabam to take out every reward for climbing tiers... U can only get them as u climb up in GC... Objectives every 48 hs.. thats fine; eliminate the loss punishment.. but you get 0 rewards till you start climbing up in GC...

They are separating it because it is separate. It’s two different things. Why else would it have two different names if it’s the same how come everyone does not get to do both? Because GC is different it is separate. Lol
  • Options
    Coppin said:

Coppin said:

Kabam Jax said:

Hey Summoners.

I'm going to collect a lot of comments from various other conversations we've had in the forums over the last little while to address a lot of this thread, so forgive me if you've heard this before.

"If you die to a boss in any fight, you can say “ well i took iff “x”% of his health let me buy a revive and continue...
    In bg, if you die, you can’t continue for where you were at so you a set back...
    No other part of this game has this effect."

We have chatted in past about how Battlegrounds is the first true competitive PVP mode in MCOC. Previously, every challenge could/would end in success, with enough time, energy and resources. Naturally, this means BGs is going to be a departure for players and is bound to cause some discomfort. Every single matchup between two players means 50% of that matchup is receiving a loss; this is inevitable.

"Can you can really blame ppl for hacking it when kabam can make it fair and enjoyable from the start."
    Yes. Yes we can blame people for hacking. In no way does frustration justify cheating. The game mode is fair insofar as everyone is dealing with the same system, and trying to circumnavigate that system out of frustration, or any other motivation, is not tolerated.

Why not create a casual mode, too?
    A casual would not operate in the fashion laid out in this thread. We are not looking to give the same rewards for less work. We understand that the lens many Summoners view the game through is one of: "Where can I get the best rewards; that's where I'm going to dedicate my time." But simply putting time into BGs does not result in rewards, as previously mentioned; the PVP nature of the mode requires you to overcome other Summoners. We have largely found the highest rewards from this game mode are going to the players who are putting in the most time.

Are you suggesting that nothing about Battlegrounds needs to change?
    Not at all. And we've talked about it repeatedly on the forums. Changes are coming to Battlegrounds structure and matchmaking, some that may have been suggested in this thread...
    It won't happen all at once and needs to be changed over time to avoid too many moving parts, but the team is constantly evaluating the game mode and are looking for opportunities to make improvements; they have some good ideas.

We have chatted a lot, and seen a lot of conversations, about how this game is growing to a point where you cannot reasonably expect to do everything in a given month. We have seen the growing pains for Summoners who don't want to prioritize or make choices about what to play and what to let slip. MCOC is growing to a point where you should play the game modes you enjoy most. There's something for everyone, even if you're not looking for a competitive mode.

I would like to add something to this..
    I would dare anyone to give an example of ANY competitive mode, professional sport or anything at all... Where losing a match just slows u down instead of punishing u...
    The idea of losses not taking coins allows for brute force... Who cares if i lose.. i just gotta win 3 later... Does it matter if i lose 20 rounds in a row?.. winning 1 out of 10 will keep me climbing.. and that is not competition!
    I would give as my example every sport or competition I can think of. NBA for instance: your wins and losses are collected over the season. After playing a set number those records are compared to determine playoff ranking. Losing doesn't affect it mathematically the same way as bg. To narrow it, in the playoffs losing a game stops your progress but does not take you backwards. Maybe shoots and ladders is the only game I can compare bg to equally.
    It doesn't take u backwards.. u collect rewards and keep going... Can u drop from Silver 3 to Bronze 1?
    Why is that a bad thing again? You get Rewards for as far as you progress. If you don't get out of the VT, that's all you get. At least from that aspect.
  • Options
    A3G0NA3G0N Posts: 75
    I like BattleGrounds. It's my way of playing competitively without pressure from anyone else. It's definitely not the worst format created. I'll pick BattleGrounds over AQ and Monthly EQ all day.
  • Options
    BoombzyBoombzy Posts: 26
    Matchmaking is the main reason to a lot of player's struggles; including myself. I shouldn't be competing with Paragon players with their lowest champion being my highest champion in Gold 2.

Since nobody is coming up with solutions or even suggestions on how to improve battlegrounds, it took me 30 seconds to think of two(which won't even be recognised by Kabam, but I thought were cool concepts).

1. Same battlegrounds, but instead, each champion/roster has a fixed rating ie all champions 15K rating. Health pools don't necessarily have to change but could.
    2. Players get to pick their roster from a pool of x champions that are randomized, regardless if you have that champion or not. For example, when you go through the current phase of picking your champions, the choices are at random. These champions are at a fixed rating to create a relatively even playing field.

As for the streaks themselves, winning three in a row is like hitting the lottery with how unfair matchmaking is, as stated above.