**Mastery Loadouts**
Due to issues related to the release of Mastery Loadouts, the "free swap" period will be extended.
The new end date will be May 1st.
Options

15.0 Alliance Wars Update Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    DNA3000 wrote: »
    Huluhula wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/yx2MxhnZQ7s

Brian Grant hitting the nail on the head yet again

When the biggest Kabam supporter of the youtubers is ripping AW you know something is wrong.

Brian Grant is not so much a big Kabam supporter as he is more of a live and let live player that likes challenges. He doesn't tend to hate what other players hate so he doesn't complain as much about the same things other players complain about. He actually doesn't complain a lot in general, but not because he thinks everything is great.

That's true. He has a much different view than many on the changes Kabam adds, which is why his views on AW are so telling.

ALL the youtubers are ripping on AW. It has to have a negative impact on Kabam when so many thousands of people keep seeing "AW's broken" videos every week.

To be intellectually fair, it is more likely that a youtuber would dislike the new system than the average player, because youtubers are a self-selected group of people that are motivated to share their successes and failures to an audience. Those people are exactly the kinds of people that would tend to prefer a less routine and more dynamic game than the average player. For example, the impression I get is that Brian Grant doesn't so much hate the new version of AW as he is bored by it. He discontinued recording AW because he doesn't find the attack phase interesting. There's nothing interesting to comment about in terms of who is placing what where, or what he has to think about to defeat it. Having watched his last AW stream, it seemed to me it was as interesting to him as recording his alliance duel event commitment.

Nothing to talk about and not much to think about might actually be something some players want: a less difficult war. But of course that is likely to be exactly the opposite of what a streamer would want, even among a group of streamers that have different opinions in all other respects.

I have to specifically add that I'm not saying youtubers are only interested in what will help support their channel. I'm saying the kind of personality that would make a channel is the kind that would tend to want a less passive game all around. Even if they stopped streaming, I think they would still want a more dynamic AW.

Spreading the word that one of the game's biggest features is boring has to have a negative impact on the game. The other night Joel was talking about with all defenders being equal, no champs outside of the god tier attackers are desirable. That leads to less desire to grind arenas for champs and shards. Today is a great example. Mephesto is the next god-tier defender but defenders don't matter anymore so many probably won't grind for him.

I'm sure it is not something anyone at Kabam wants to happen. It is a black mark when your most visible players don't think something. In a sense, we all are a part of that visible portion of the playerbase you don't want to specifically antagonize.

I was only commenting on the fact that sometimes a group of people who appear to represent a wide range of players might have something that connects them into a smaller segment than it first appears, and we should always be careful about assuming that any specific subset of us accurately represents what the entire playerbase as a whole wants.
  • Options
    nuggznuggz Posts: 124
    @Kabam Miike

Again all kabam is doing is making war winners based on defender rating.

Defender rating is the only thing breaking ANY TIES .... we all max out the points in every other catagory.

Stop pretending like your not reading and understand.
  • Options
    R4GER4GE Posts: 1,530 ★★★★
    nuggz wrote: »
    @Kabam Miike

Again all kabam is doing is making war winners based on defender rating.

Defender rating is the only thing breaking ANY TIES .... we all max out the points in every other catagory.

Stop pretending like your not reading and understand.

The current bugs will now decide the winners. AW is finally hard, but not for a good reason
  • Options
    AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 508 ★★★
    edited September 2017
    Starting to see less and less responses each day here, wondering if people just gave up.
  • Options
    HuluhulaHuluhula Posts: 263
    Anonymous wrote: »
    Starting to see less and less responses each day here, wondering if people hust gave up.

Everyone moved here http://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/24117/dash-back-after-special-not-working-merged-threads#latest
  • Options
    AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 508 ★★★
    Starting to see less and less responses each day here, wondering if people hust gave up.

Everyone moved here http://forums.playcontestofchampions.com/en/discussion/24117/dash-back-after-special-not-working-merged-threads#latest

Alright thx
  • Options
    RagamugginGunnerRagamugginGunner Posts: 2,210 ★★★★★

Kinda reminds me of Major Payne when he'd break your finger to make you forget about your missing leg.

Oh and one guy joined the wrong BG and placed 3 dupes so this AW is lost before it even started. Hurrah diversity! Hurrah Kabam!
  • Options
    VoluntarisVoluntaris Posts: 1,198 ★★★
    Starting to see less and less responses each day here, wondering if people just gave up.

haven't given up

Diversity Parade "Wars" are boring/non-competitive/winner known at start of match/Alliance Quest 2.0

#BringBackDefenderKillPoints
  • Options
    MEKA5MEKA5 Posts: 344 ★★
    edited September 2017
    Posting it here, since my thread was closed.

AW is boring and many players are quitting.
    The point is not how many buffs you place on a node, in higher tiers we're used to find hard nodes!

The point is: in which way the system you designed does reward the effort?

I understand what made you come out with Defenders diversity, some more fine-tuning must be needed there, but for god's sake, bring back Defender's kills, that's a great indicator for a player's fighting skills - and hide defenders' classes. It's part of the defensive strategy.
  • Options
    JRock808JRock808 Posts: 1,149 ★★★★

I think it's that most of us just think of AW as another weekly calendar with random rewards. Sometimes it is higher, sometimes it's lower. Very little faith in it being fixed quickly as long as they remain steadfast on the new direction.

You'll see more activity here when they realize it's hurting revenue instead of helping it and announce defender kills returning.
  • Options
    TrumpootTrumpoot Posts: 185
    edited September 2017
    heard lots of comments about diversity and defender kills completely agree that defender kills MUST feature in some way.

haven't thought this one through completely, but have the beginning of an idea that might help. (still not sure how to fine tune the points).

combine defender diversity and kills into a single measure.

you only get diversity points for defenders that get kills. Max diversity in a bg would be 50, but only if EVERY defender got a kill.

So, at the end of the war, list all champs that got at least one kill, remove the duplicates, count the number of champs left.

Example: BG2 defenders/kills

3 magiks placed, 2 magiks got kills, 1 diversity
    2 cables placed, 0 cables got kills, 0 diversity
    1 SM placed, 1 SM got kills, 1 diversity
    etc.

PS, as far as balancing ...

my first instinct is to return defender kills as a scoring item, but let diversity points count 10 times more.

2 magik placed, 10 kills total between them.
    100 points for 1 unit of diversity,
    + 100 points for defender kills (10 defender kills @ 10 points each)
    200 points total

1 wolvie placed, 1 kill and 1 hulk placed 1 kill
    200 points for 2 units of diversity.

thoughts?

obviously point level needs tweaking, but i see a strategy of trying to weigh how many of a certain defender. and the importance of getting at least 1 kill.

will introduce skill as a valuable element in war again. dying even ONCE gives the other team points,.
  • Options
    TrumpootTrumpoot Posts: 185
    R4GE wrote: »
    Defender diversity just makes no sense at all to me and I'd rather see it removed.

I suspect that there are very few in the community that want diversity in any form at all.

I think this loss of freedom is a key reason.
  • Options
    NevvBNevvB Posts: 287 ★★★
    With the new update you guys made sure to make it hard for us to 100%. Guess the only thing stopping allis fully exploring is bugs. Smh
  • Options
    Nabz034Nabz034 Posts: 209 ★★
    Why did the game team alter the recovery after using a special? I get you need make money but altering the mechanics of the game? If that isn't cheating the players then i don't know what is.
  • Options
    Voluntaris wrote: »
    Twunt wrote: »
    The end all summary of this will be that you are making Defender rating and Diversity the two tie breakers. Doesn’t matter how you allocate the points. If both teams explore 100%, no skill required. The one with the higher Defender rating

I can see where you're coming from.

If the idea is that you think you'll still be able to 100% clear this map as it is now, how would defender kills have made a difference?

I can take that information to the team and see what they think.
    Guess I completely understand what he meant by “you think you’ll still be able to 100% clear this map as it is now” lol
  • Options
    MilkthewhalesMilkthewhales Posts: 81
    edited September 2017
    Died in war today, didn't even care. So bored now I'm close to just quitting.
  • Options
    Now that it appears the "unable to move/do anything for a second or two after special" bug has been resolved .... lets get back to pushing for skill based Alliance War with defender kill points to return!

• Options
    Voluntaris wrote: »
    Now that it appears the "unable to move/do anything for a second or two after special" bug has been resolved .... lets get back to pushing for skill based Alliance War with defender kill points to return!

Woah dude, one thing at a time they’re not used to getting much accomplished let them savor this
  • Options
    AcanthusAcanthus Posts: 447 ★★★
    edited September 2017
    Remove boosts and masteries affecting defender rating. Nobody wants to be using suicides and boosts just to place their defenders every goddamn war
  • Options
    KpatrixKpatrix Posts: 1,055 ★★★
    I just wish they would release the wars as described instead of us finding bugs that end up screwing us over and then they act like it's no big deal. They sure do fix things that affect their bottom line, but these last few war "update" failures show they don't give two **** about their players who make plans based on release notes only to find out the release notes don't match the release. If that's not fraud I don't know what is.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    eh ... still feel we need Defender Kill Points back for AW to be as fun/skillful as it used to be

Diversity needs to go.

• Options
    JJW wrote: »
    As you can see whether you Win or Lose, the dominant strategy is MM, Maximize Diversity, Minimum Quality.

There is a fundamental flaw with your analysis, and it is that you independently analyze the reward results for winning and losing, but winning and losing are not independent of the placement strategy. Let's look at this from the perspective of min/maxing the placement strategy. Let's use your reward tables again:

lyw2twb3t9cm.png

Here we see that the minimum diversity strategy when it wins offers a certain level of rewards. In a combat-driven scoring system (which I'm assuming you are presupposing because you have eliminated diversity points) this is the strategy that has the best possible chance of actually winning. Fighting an opponent alliance of roughly equal skill and roster strength you'd expect this strategy to win about half the time. So your expected return on this strategy is about (I'm going to focus on the 5* shards just to reduce the number of comparisons) 356 * 0.5 + 114 * 0.5 = 235 5* shards.

If I change my strategy to a higher diversity strategy and my opponent doesn't change strategy I will most likely lose more often than I win. Let's say I go to the "good diversity" strategy. That would offer 438 * 0.5 + 140 * 0.5 = 289 5* shards if I could somehow hold my 50/50 winning percentage. But that seems unlikely. For this strategy to actually increase my rewards I need to win more than 32% of the time. If I do, I should always do this. If I don't, I should never do this.

For your numbers, the winning percentage requirement to make shifting strategy make sense are about 25% for high diversity and about 19% for max diversity. There is a definitely break even point for each strategy, and depending on how the alliance evaluates that chance, quantitatively or qualitatively, there is a single optimal strategy.

But there is another facet to the problem that is subtle but very nasty. Your rewards depend on tier and your tier ultimately depends on your win/loss record. The equilibrium state is actually for the average alliance at any tier to roughly win about half the time. Any strategy that reduces your win percentage will eventually change your tier until your win percentage becomes 50/50. You can't employ a strategy that causes you to win only 30% of the time, because you cannot consistently win only 30% of the time. You will drop a tier if you consistently keep losing, and then your win percentage will eventually start to rise again. So the meta question becomes: is it better if you use the maximum diversity placement strategy and drop a tier, but still earn more rewards than if you were winning half the time in the higher tier because the bonus is higher than the tier loss.

This is a problem because you do not want to encourage alliances to drop tiers and *gain* rewards for doing so. That's a metagaming nightmare and would generate a whole new set of complaints.
  • Options
    JJWJJW Posts: 134 Content Creator
    edited September 2017
    JJW wrote: »
    As you can see whether you Win or Lose, the dominant strategy is MM, Maximize Diversity, Minimum Quality.

There is a fundamental flaw with your analysis, and it is that you independently analyze the reward results for winning and losing, but winning and losing are not independent of the placement strategy. Let's look at this from the perspective of min/maxing the placement strategy. Let's use your reward tables again:

lyw2twb3t9cm.png

Here we see that the minimum diversity strategy when it wins offers a certain level of rewards. In a combat-driven scoring system (which I'm assuming you are presupposing because you have eliminated diversity points) this is the strategy that has the best possible chance of actually winning. Fighting an opponent alliance of roughly equal skill and roster strength you'd expect this strategy to win about half the time. So your expected return on this strategy is about (I'm going to focus on the 5* shards just to reduce the number of comparisons) 356 * 0.5 + 114 * 0.5 = 235 5* shards.

If I change my strategy to a higher diversity strategy and my opponent doesn't change strategy I will most likely lose more often than I win. Let's say I go to the "good diversity" strategy. That would offer 438 * 0.5 + 140 * 0.5 = 289 5* shards if I could somehow hold my 50/50 winning percentage. But that seems unlikely. For this strategy to actually increase my rewards I need to win more than 32% of the time. If I do, I should always do this. If I don't, I should never do this.

For your numbers, the winning percentage requirement to make shifting strategy make sense are about 25% for high diversity and about 19% for max diversity. There is a definitely break even point for each strategy, and depending on how the alliance evaluates that chance, quantitatively or qualitatively, there is a single optimal strategy.

But there is another facet to the problem that is subtle but very nasty. Your rewards depend on tier and your tier ultimately depends on your win/loss record. The equilibrium state is actually for the average alliance at any tier to roughly win about half the time. Any strategy that reduces your win percentage will eventually change your tier until your win percentage becomes 50/50. You can't employ a strategy that causes you to win only 30% of the time, because you cannot consistently win only 30% of the time. You will drop a tier if you consistently keep losing, and then your win percentage will eventually start to rise again. So the meta question becomes: is it better if you use the maximum diversity placement strategy and drop a tier, but still earn more rewards than if you were winning half the time in the higher tier because the bonus is higher than the tier loss.

This is a problem because you do not want to encourage alliances to drop tiers and *gain* rewards for doing so. That's a metagaming nightmare and would generate a whole new set of complaints.

So let's discuss some assumptions.
    First, under the current meta winning the war is an imperative. There are no downsides to losing. Ergo all preferences are for a maximization strategy.

However, under a quality/diversity tradeoff paradigm where the former maximizes your chance to win while the latter maximizes the potential reward gain, you have decision space to move and you have competing preferences. When you have competing preferences, you cannot strictly employ a maximization strategy unless one preference is absolute. And here, I am suggesting War be structured so that there is more than one preference possible.

Second, you are correct regarding Tier Rewards being a base element, and one that shifts the reward scale. I very much have this in mind. So yes there is a strong incentive to WIN and increase tier, however some strategic solutions - including allowing a LOSS - actually creates something important here: Uncertainty.

The #1 problem at the moment is that the preference structure, rules, and choices lead to a single strategic option, which in and of itself removes uncertainty. Knowing what my opponent will prefer, I can confidently delete strategic alternatives.

However, since the opponent has both potential and a degree of preference to allow a lose, they are more likely (that is likely at all) to choose a random strategic preference. Rather than a single alternative, there are now many. Obviously some with greater rewards than others.

By moving Diversity to the Rewards Calculation, and also by including a Kabam Modifier - I have also included a tuning mechanism so that Kabam can shift the decision-space. The probability that an opponent will select a particular option needs to be sufficiently distributed across the options such that you cannot necessarily predict the choice made by the opponent.
This discussion has been closed.